Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That's not really a legit criticism. The mid-range is the most inefficient shot in basketball, and we don't recruit bigs with the expectation that they can shoot the midrange.

Everything else is valid.

He recruits bigs that are athletically gifted but have no offensive game outside of 10' on the regular. Then is shocked when they leave after 1-2 years and no development.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:08 AM, Goo Punch said:

Since Shaka's first year here when the roster turned over from Barnes' gang of 3* recruits who combined would enjoy a single cup of coffee in the NBA, Shaka and his three consecutive top 8 nationally ranked recruiting classes are 16-29 in conference play, including 4-5 this year, the most down year for the league in a very very long time. 

Man, that's depressing.

41 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:
  • Poor guard development last 2 years
  • Terrible zone offenses all 4 years
  • Lethargic Defense by 2018-19 squad
  • Poor mid-range game from Bigs
  • Terrible shooting teams all 4 years
  • Basketball IQ and game management sucks

Man, that's even more depressing.

Texas Longhorn basketball--sports to watch while slitting your wrists.

I don't care how much firing him costs. Do it. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He recruits bigs that are athletically gifted but have no offensive game outside of 10' on the regular. Then is shocked when they leave after 1-2 years and no development.

So he can't develop players yet seems to recruit a lot of players that need development? Did I get that right?

Edited by immortal13

34 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

I don't care how much firing him costs. Do it. 

Unless this current team falls apart, Shaka probably returns for 2019-2020 season due to $12.9 million guaranteed buyout.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

(After Smart took his first Texas team to the NCAA tournament in 2016, then-athletic director Mike Perrin and president Greg Fenves rewarded Smart with a one-year extension through 2022-23.  More importantly, the contract is fully guaranteed.)

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/4/2/17189646/shaka-smart-contract-guaranteed-texas-longhorns-chris-del-conte

Edited by LTtxfan

Shaka's players at Texas- min. 10 mpg, consistently good players in bold:

Isaiah Taylor

Connor Lammert 

Javan Felix

Cam Ridley

Eric Davis Jr

Prince Ibeh 

Kerwin Roach

Demarcus Holland

Tevin Mack

Shaquille Cleare

Kendal Yancy

Jarrett Allen*

Andrew Jones

Jacob Young

James Banks

Dylan Osetkowski 

Matt Coleman

Mo Bamba

Jericho Sims

Jase Febres

Jaxson Hayes

Courtney Ramey

Eli Long

*was consistently good during conference play, mostly shitty during non-con

Empirical evidence tells us that you pretty much have to be a HS All American to be a consistently good player under Shaka Smart. I guess that David Cason, Mike Morrell, Jai Lucas, et al aren't world class talent developers- who knew?!

12 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I think we're stuck with this dude till the end of his contract (or close).  His teams will do just enough to get in the tournament, but we will never be anything consequential under him.  Oh well.  There's always football and baseball.  

Most likely.  CDC has his work cut out for him on this one.

Perrin, in his one objectively bad move, kinda fucked us with the extension.  Patterson, as usual, went balls deep with the guarantee.  What is unclear is whether the final two years are guaranteed.  Under the original contract, the final year was not.

Edited by TwiceHorn

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Most likely.  CDC has his work cut out for him on this one.

Perrin, in his one objectively bad move, kinda fucked us with the extension.  Patterson, as usual, went balls deep with the guarantee.  What is unclear is whether the final two years are guaranteed.  Under the original contract, the final year was not.

Still think UT would rather put up with Shaka’s mediocre team’s and his over paid contract than admit they made a colossal mistake.

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

Still think UT would rather put up with Shaka’s mediocre team’s and his over paid contract than admit they made a colossal mistake.

Seeing as that no one who hired or extended him is still here, it seems highly unlikely this would be the reasoning, you know, as opposed to an 8 figure buyout for the next two years.

• Fuck You 1

Not sure why anyone thinks this team is making the tournament this year. 6-6 in conference, 6 conference games left, and only OSU should be considered a sure win. 3 road games, and Texas is 2-5 in true road games on the year, the other 2 home games are against teams that have already beat Texas, and are better teams with better coaching.

15-16, 7-11 isn't getting Texas into any tournament.

Edited by HtownHorn

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Not sure why anyone thinks this team is making the tournament this year. 6-6 in conference, 6 conference games left, and only OSU should be considered a sure win. 3 road games, and Texas is 2-5 in true road games on the year, the other 2 home games are against teams that have already beat Texas, and are better teams with better coaching.

meh - he'll probably win just enough down the stretch to squeak in.  Even if he doesn't, next year he will, and it will be the same "one more year" bullshit.  

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This is a myopic view, but that's par for the course.

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

meh - he'll probably win just enough down the stretch to squeak in.  Even if he doesn't, next year he will, and it will be the same "one more year" bullshit.  

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I think next year will be the year that he has to show real improvement.

haha - not sure if serious, but my point exactly.  

Just now, bschoolprof said:

haha - not sure if serious, but my point exactly.  

Heh I see what you mean, but the point is that the risk/reward ratio of firing him drastically goes down because of the new arena angle (and the reduced buyout). Nobody is going to show up for a coach that inspires nothing but apathy from most of the fans, no matter how fancy the stadium is.

23 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Literally hours before KSU shot like, 95% for the game, we were for sure in the tournament. A loss to #18 who is leading the Big 12 did not sink our chances.  Now, losing to OSU would kill them, cremate them and scatter their ashes across Austin. 

I still don't see 7-11.  9-9 or 8-10 is much more likely.  8-10 and a win in the conf tournament probably gets us in.  9-9 for sure does. 

OSU - win
@ OU - terrible
@ Baylor - probably a loss
ISU - we played them well on the road
@ Tech - probably a loss
TCU

Edited by Js1

42 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Seeing as that no one who hired or extended him is still here, it seems highly unlikely this would be the reasoning, you know, as opposed to an 8 figure buyout for the next two years.

The story will be the huge buyout not about who did the deal.  It’s egg on UT’s face.

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

correct, w/the win in the B12 tournament

9-9 without, we'll be the bubbliest of bubble teams

under .500 in the conference, we're not going without a miraculous B12 tournament run

By all indications, 8-10 would get a team in.  We just did it a year ago! As did OU. 

18 minutes ago, suddenly shaggy said:

So is the team performance with Shaka as coach.

The question is which egg CDC would rather have on UT's face, not whether there will be any. 

UT is already heavily in debt (discussed in another thread) so, making a bad hire isn’t as bad as throwing away millions at this point.

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

LOL, listen I don't like shaka either but this is just dumb as fuck. We aren't even on the bubble and we lose a close game at home to the big 12 leader and now we are gonna lose all of our remaining games? we will go 3-3 down the stretch, we have 3 home and 3 road and we barely lost to iowa st. We haven't been blown out by anyone on our schedule and while I don't think shaka is the answer at all that doesn't mean we will lose 5 of our 6 games. 

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

LOL, listen I don't like shaka either but this is just dumb as fuck. We aren't even on the bubble and we lose a close game at home to the big 12 leader and now we are gonna lose all of our remaining games? we will go 3-3 down the stretch, we have 3 home and 3 road and we barely lost to iowa st. We haven't been blown out by anyone on our schedule and while I don't think shaka is the answer at all that doesn't mean we will lose 5 of our 6 games. 

There's a lot of overreacting and stupidity to losing to the Big 12 leader in a close game.  I'm frustrated too, because as good as we played in the 1st half, we didn't play well in the 2nd half and KSU got fucking hot. 

OH NOES WE WILL LOSE OUT

WE WILL MISS THE TOURNAMENT

NO WAY THEY TAKE AN 8-10 TEXAS TEAM EVEN THOUGH THEY DID LAST YEAR

So tired of this Mickey Mouse BS.

When does CDC get called out. Maybe the lights simply are too bright.

This is starting to sound like a Deloss/Brown excuse fest.

No one is expecting a title run every year in every sport but damn, wake up, it is not gonna happen with what we have.

Do we have current NBA talent, yes or no, if the answer is yes, then we should be in contention for at minimum an 5th place finish.

• Fuck You 2

Just now, 2inDaPink1inDaStink said:

So tired of this Mickey Mouse BS.

When does CDC get called out. Maybe the lights simply are too bright.

This is starting to sound like a Deloss/Brown excuse fest.

No one is expecting a title run every year in every sport but damn, wake up, it is not gonna happen with what we have.

Do we have current NBA talent, yes or no, if the answer is yes, then we should be in contention for at minimum an 5th place finish.

https://twitter.com/_delconte/

Go wild.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Oh joy, the we haven't been blown out excuse. That one has been regurgitated for the last 2 seasons. 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Nobody's making excuses. We're simply using the data we have to predict that we're probably not going to finish the season with a losing record.

Maybe so, but Texas is heavy dogs in every road game, and is only a slight favorite over ISU at home. OSU and TCU, they are heavy home favorites, but TCU is 3-0 against Texas under the current coaching staffs. 1-5 is a very likely outcome.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

I think next year will be the year that he has to show real improvement.

Year 5. Show improvement. Huh?

The only reason he's still here is because we owe him so much money. He will be back next year because we owe him so much money. We owe him a lot of money.

Edited by Nolacycling

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic