Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

I've seen a small blimp at Spurs games before (maybe Rudy's Bbq?)

For next Texas basketball game we just need to borrow it, put Surly on its side, and fly a banner behind it with "Fire Shaka" on it...

giphy.gif

Who's With Me??

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

its going to be pretty funny watching CDC explain that the buyout isn't the reason Shaka is coaching next year.  2 losing records in 4 years.  as if we need to give anyone more reason not to give a shit about basketball.  what a fucking embarrassment.

Texas basketball is like a boring game of fate. You know you're doomed. You can feel it over your shoulder of every minute of every single game. And it doesn't even have the simple decency to throw you a curve ball every once and a while for variety. It's just a tedious, inevitable collection of crapulence that rolls out its mediocrity with relentless, punishing consistency.

Who could possibly want to see this again next year? Hell, who wants to see it for even one more minute? 

This shit is making me nostalgic for Charlie Strong. At least his ineptitude was occasionally funny.  

Edited by Tired Horn
typo

When we got a coach famous for running something called "Havoc" I thought we were hopefully getting a sober version of Tom Penders. Instead we see to have gotten...um...not really sure what to compare this to. A coach whose playstyle is really boring, whose teams are bad, and who can recruit really well. Whomever that is.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

When we got a coach famous for running something called "Havoc" I thought we were hopefully getting a sober version of Tom Penders. Instead we see to have gotten...um...not really sure what to compare this to. A coach whose playstyle is really boring, whose teams are bad, and who can recruit really well. Whomever that is.

Yeah, Havoc. What a joke. 

I think he's earned a new title. Anyone have any suggestions?

Off the top of my head., I've got "Constipation" or "The Heartbreak of Psoriasis." Possibly "Bone Cancer" if you're looking to capture how excruciating this team is to watch.  

6 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

Texas basketball is like a boring game of fate. You know you're doomed. You can feel it over your shoulder of every minute of every single game. And it doesn't even have the simple decency to throw you a curve ball every once and a while for variety. It's just a tedious, inevitable collection of crapulence that rolls out its mediocrity with relentless, punishing consistency.

Who could possibly want to see this again next year? Hell, who wants to see it for even one more minute? 

This shit is making me nostalgic for Charlie Strong. At least his ineptitude was occasionally funny.  

Yep.  I didn't watch the game.  I checked the score before going to bed and Texas was up something like 55 to 39.  I actually told myself it wouldn't last.  And it wasn't in a "don't get your hopes up" way.  It was more of a " no, seriously, it won't last".

Just now, Laxtonto said:

Do we have a favorite for who we want to replace Smart? 

I like the guy and his contacts and his recruiting ability, but at some point it’s a results oreintated business and we are not getting those results.

Names thrown around if we were to replace him this year are Beard, Musselman, Buzz Williams, and Prohm. Hoiberg as a moonshot.

These are all fan ideas, by the way. I imagine BMDs will lust after Beard if they're willing to shell out cash.

• Like 1

When we were up 15 I wasn’t thinking we got this my first thought was “we are gonna blow this” and I laid in bed and watched it slip away.

I am really hoping CDC doesn’t let Shaka blame it on roach and do being out. Just be done and let’s move on we all know what’s coming next year if he stays.

17 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Names thrown around if we were to replace him this year are Beard, Musselman, Buzz Williams, and Prohm. Hoiberg as a moonshot.

These are all fan ideas, by the way. I imagine BMDs will lust after Beard if they're willing to shell out cash.

Don't rule out Howland. I think there's some interest in a nice, steady, Lon Kruger type. 

9 minutes ago, 2inDaPink1inDaStink said:

What if Texas wins the big 12 tournament, does that get Shaka an extension? That could really muck this firing up.

We''re currently 6th which means we'd have to beat the top 3 seeds in the conference to win the tournament so I don't think you have to worry about that.

But but but a BMD (maybe/probably/obviously McConaughey (if the story is even true in the first place)) is sad he doesn't have the same access to the football team under Herman that he did under Charlie, so he's all in on supporting the basketball team now, and he loves Shaka, so Shaka is unfireable, and there's nothing anyone can ever do about it ever, no matter what.

Edited by Katfid54

49 minutes ago, Machinator said:

God damn- if we fire Shaka and hire Beard, CDC better have those BMDs teed up and ready.  I'm talking A+ head game. 

5 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Not making the tournament could still work out for Smart.   Team isn't great but they're certainly good enough to get to New York in the NIT, and maybe even win the thing.  Unfortunately, I think that sort of bounce might buy him another year, just making it to NYC.  

Gosh I hope not.   I rather we crash and burn the rest of the season because what has been on display the balance of the season is shit show.   And it won't get better next season if we continue to rely on one or two year players who are just filling time for the NBA draft.  The sooner the NBA goes back to allowing 18 years olds to either be drafted or open the D-league up to them, the better.   

26 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

But but but a BMD (maybe/probably/obviously McConaughey (if the story is even true in the first place)) is sad he doesn't have the same access to the football team under Herman that he did under Charlie, so he's all in on supporting the basketball team now, and he loves Shaka, so Shaka is unfireable, and there's nothing anyone can ever do about it ever, no matter what.

@McConaughey

if you want to say hello

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We should guard against something like that happening by firing him right now.

Agree.  I just dread the scenario of winning 3 games in the NIT and generating "momentum" for next season by getting to the the Final Four in that JV tournament. 

I trust Del Conte so will just sit back and watch. 

15 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Not making the tournament could still work out for Smart.   Team isn't great but they're certainly good enough to get to New York in the NIT, and maybe even win the thing.  Unfortunately, I think that sort of bounce might buy him another year, just making it to NYC.  

NIT appearance in your 4th year that isn't due to losing someone to a season ending injury like ACL tear (suspension for being a pothead doesn't count) = automatic firing in my book.

Texas' minimum should be an NCAA appearance.  

Edited by Js1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Beard is more of a moonshot than Hoiberg.  Strange as it seems, that dude has his dream job.  (I would take him in a second.)  I also think Musselman is going back to the NBA when he leaves UNR.

12 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

15-13. That’s really bad. His 4th season. If he just walked out of the arena every game with 2 minutes left his assistants might have won us an extra 2 or 3 games. 

Agree last two minutes is crap, but 10-2 minutes is where dead headed, dumb ass coaching really costs us.

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yep.  I didn't watch the game.  I checked the score before going to bed and Texas was up something like 55 to 39.  I actually told myself it wouldn't last.  And it wasn't in a "don't get your hopes up" way.  It was more of a " no, seriously, it won't last".

I was watching the baseball game, then noticed it was on.  I watched True Detective while having the game on in the background, certain we would choke away the double digit lead.  I was actually lost in TD when the game ended, so I had to go back to see what dumb coaching move had lost us the game.  Turns out it was in inbound pass to our 7 foot center with seconds to go in the game.  What an absolute shit for brains coach we have.  I won't watch the first game next year if Shaka comes back.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic