Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

11 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Again, our recruiting rankings the last 3 years have been #6, 6 and 8.  Any decent coach should be able to be in the top #15 with that kind of talent.  We're nowhere close.

feel bad for the players wasting the high point of their lives 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Beard is looking good. showing much competence. but focusing on him just because Smart is a total disaster is a bit shortsighted IMO.

Beard is a damn good coach. There's some Barnes-esque toughness to his teams.

His offenses can be quite ugly, though effective when he has a couple shooters and a shot-creator like Culver. It doesn't mattter when you're winning (just like Barnes), but in the off years, it will make the natives restless at a place like Texas.

Edited by Machinator

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Beard is a damn good coach. There's some Barnes-esque toughness to his teams.

His offenses can be quite ugly, though effective when he has a couple shooters and a shot-creator like Culver. It doesn't mattter when you're winning (just like Barnes), but in the off years, it will make the natives restless at a place like Texas.

Barnes was influenced and somewhat mentored by Bobby Knight. Beard is a Knight disciple. The comparison is apt. Beard's teams definitely remind you of a typical Barnes team. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

Buzz, Prohm, Hoiberg, Howland, Musselman, Beard, Dixon, Weber, Tom Penders, Gene Keady, Rollie Massimino, Morgan Wooten, Karen Asten, and Isaiah Thomas (Nuggets PG) >>>> Gregg Marshall.

Our fanbase is ready to run Karen Aston out of town, too.

4 minutes ago, NowThis said:

feel bad for the players wasting the high point of their lives 

what sucks for them is that most of them probably really like and admire Shaka and think that he's a good coach and have no idea that this isn't their fault.

Just now, smwhorn said:

I don't think I've ever wanted the Horns to lose at anything.  Maybe, just maybe, at home against the cock-a-roaches.

there's this stigma that you're a bad fan if you ever even think that it might be best for your team to lose. but this is how i see it: Augustus McCrae refused to have his leg amputated to save his own life. Would not do it. Was a man of such severe and unwavering principle that he dies because he refused to acknowledge that losing his leg was what was best for him. His pride convinced him that it was better to "die with nobility" than to acknowledge that he seriously needed to lose the leg. Know what I mean Verne?

also i'm drunk and i really want to watch lonesome dove so don't give me shit because you get what i'm saying and it took me 7 minutes to type this out because of all the errors i had to correct. bottom line: you got to cut your leg off if you want to go to hire chris beard and go to the sweet 16. if we take one thing away from this post, let that be it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Buzz, Prohm, Hoiberg, Howland, Musselman, Beard, Dixon, Weber, Tom Penders, Gene Keady, Rollie Massimino, Morgan Wooten, Karen Asten, and Isaiah Thomas (Nuggets PG) >>>> Gregg Marshall.

Coach Wooden, Norman Dale,  Geno Auriemma, Muffet McGraw, Bill Self.....

I want to beat the brakes off TCU, fuck those guys, but I am also hoping CDC isn't going to use making the tournament and getting bounced in the first round as cover for doing what is so obviously right for the program IF he knows he can get the guy he wants.

9 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I just don't understand how Shaka can't see that his offensive philosophy doesn't work. Good defensive teams are not going to allow you to score if you just dribble around and play Harden ball on 90% of your possessions.

Same coach who decided it best to keep Mobamba from clogging up the paint on offense... Best to keep him 15ft from the rim

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

there's this stigma that you're a bad fan if you ever even think that it might be best for your team to lose. but this is how i see it: Augustus McCrae refused to have his leg amputated to save his own life. Would not do it. Was a man of such severe and unwavering principle that he dies because he refused to acknowledge that losing his leg was what was best for him. His pride convinced him that it was better to "die with nobility" than to acknowledge that he seriously needed to lose the leg. Know what I mean Verne?

also i'm drunk and i really want to watch lonesome dove so don't give me shit because you get what i'm saying and it took me 7 minutes to type this out because of all the errors i had to correct. bottom line: you got to cut your leg off if you want to go to hire chris beard and go to the sweet 16. if we take one thing away from this post, let that be it. 

I'm 55 years old.  My parents both graduated from Texas.  I'm a grad.  My son's a grad.  I seriously do not think I have ever wanted a Texas team to lose.  I've wagered cash munny before that we would not cover a spread, but I've never bet on us to lose.  But this team is a total waste of talent.  If we can't win with the last few recruiting seasons we've had with our current coach, we can't win with him as our coach, and he needs to go.  If the only way for that to happen is for us to lose at home to Frog, then so be it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I want to beat the brakes off TCU, fuck those guys, but I am also hoping CDC isn't going to use making the tournament and getting bounced in the first round as cover for doing what is so obviously right for the program IF he knows he can get the guy he wants.

If Horns beat TCU and make the tournament, the $12.9 million buyout is too steep.  CDC will give Shaka one more year but probably require staff changes to help offense.  (Contract is thru 2022-23)

Fenves & Perrin should never have added an additional year to bullshit contract that worthless Patterson agreed to......

Edited by LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If Horns beat TCU and make the tournament, the $12.9 million buyout is too steep.  CDC will give Shaka one more year but probably require staff changes to help offense.  (Contract is thru 2022-23)

ok but in my opinion, forcing staff changes in basketball(or baseball for that matter), almost never works out. 

if he gives him another year because the right guy isn't there so be it, but he's making the choice on his basketball program based on $4m because he will have to fire him next year.  unless of course I am completely wrong in taking him at his word about what he expects from his coaches and their programs.

28 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I just don't understand how Shaka can't see that his offensive philosophy doesn't work...

In his four years here, I’ve seen nothing from Shaka that shows he even has an offensive philosophy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Tech lost four seniors and a first round pick and they’re 25-5 and probably gonna win the league. We lost a first rounder and replaced him with a first rounder and we’re 16-14.

Forward this to CDC

20 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

ok but in my opinion, forcing staff changes in basketball(or baseball for that matter), almost never works out. 

if he gives him another year because the right guy isn't there so be it, but he's making the choice on his basketball program based on $4m because he will have to fire him next year.  unless of course I am completely wrong in taking him at his word about what he expects from his coaches and their programs.

Just reassigned his ass. He can go teach in the history department.

i like how Jase Febres, a one-note player who couldn't hit that one note to save his life last night, played 40 minutes. what's next, you gonna have Eric Davis Jr guard Marvin Bagley in OT vs Duke with multiple bigs on the bench?

643f636386e32c7a681ab19562a234a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 fucking assists.   You can say this, Shaka's offensive philosophy is certainly offensive.  

Those hoping for a loss to TCU need to just stop.  It is not going to make a difference on whether Shaka is fired after this season.  CDC is not stupid.  He knows that the basketball program is underachieving, and that the fan impatience grows with each bed-shitting loss.  One game against TCU is not going to change that.  It will simply come down to whether CDC can identify the replacement he wants, and convince him to coach here.  If he can't, Shaka will get another year, regardless.  There is no point in replacing someone we don't want with someone else we don't want.  If CDC can find an ideal replacement, then Shaka better go on a deep tourney run.

• Like 2

Barnes was influenced and somewhat mentored by Bobby Knight. Beard is a Knight disciple. The comparison is apt. Beard's teams definitely remind you of a typical Barnes team. 

Tech made a good move in hiring Knight even on the downside of his career. It’s paid a huge dividend with Beard.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

"Jericho, you have got to hedge harder! I'm sick of watching the same thing happen over and over again. Now- Brock- go get me a derka dog with extra jalapeños and  a side of nacho cheese. I want to be well free for when I freestyle as the halftime show."

"GUYS! HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY THIS???? SLAM! GO HARD! SLAM AND GO HARD! NOW GET OUT THERE AND DO IT, GODDAMNIT!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

i like how Jase Febres, a one-note player who couldn't hit that one note to save his life last night, played 40 minutes.

He's not developed enough to create his own offense.  Shaka should have known this was coming from Tech and either schemed to change it or played a different rotation. At this point, I wouldn't even compare UT's offense to high school. I've seen YMCA youth league level offense with more sophistication and movement than Shaka's.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

He's not developed enough to create his own offense.  Shaka should have known this was coming from Tech and either schemed to change it or played a different rotation. At this point, I wouldn't even compare UT's offense to high school. I've seen YMCA youth league level offense with more sophistication and movement than Shaka's.

How many times did Frascilla say they needed to run Febres off screens ... and it never happened?  Instead, Febres anchored himself in a corner, with his defender, for every possession.

Really imaginative in freeing up his only shooting threat ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

3 fucking assists.   You can say this, Shaka's offensive philosophy is certainly offensive.  

Those hoping for a loss to TCU need to just stop.  It is not going to make a difference on whether Shaka is fired after this season.  CDC is not stupid.  He knows that the basketball program is underachieving, and that the fan impatience grows with each bed-shitting loss.  One game against TCU is not going to change that.  It will simply come down to whether CDC can identify the replacement he wants, and convince him to coach here.  If he can't, Shaka will get another year, regardless.  There is no point in replacing someone we don't want with someone else we don't want.  If CDC can find an ideal replacement, then Shaka better go on a deep tourney run.

Well said.

1 hour ago, TxTower said:

Tech made a good move in hiring Knight even on the downside of his career. It’s paid a huge dividend with Beard.

And Beard would be my choice to replace Smart however he is pretty much out of reach with that 6 year deal he has.

I just wish I could see Texas play oh say three different games and then see three tweaked (read: actually different) game plans in how they run their sets, etc.  There is an obvious coaching reason - besides just bad shooting but of course that doesn't help - there were only three assists last game.  Just have to wait it out and hope change is coming down the road...

9 hours ago, Red Five said:

Tech lost four seniors and a first round pick and they’re 25-5 and probably gonna win the league. We lost a first rounder and replaced him with a first rounder and we’re 16-14.

Watching the game last night and one team was playing chess and the other checkers.  Tech has an advisor to Coach Beard by the name of Sean Sutton.  Sutton may not have been great as a head coach, but he can coach defense.  Why don't we take the sunk money and hire Hoiberg as advisor to Shaka.  Have a good season next year and let Shaka move to a Wake Forest type situation and then let Hoiberg slide in as head coach.  Win-Win for everybody. 

Tech also gained two talented grad transfers that have been key, but your broader point that Shaka is a shitty coach still stands.

19 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

Watching the game last night and one team was playing chess and the other checkers.  Tech has an advisor to Coach Beard by the name of Sean Sutton.  Sutton may not have been great as a head coach, but he can coach defense.  Why don't we take the sunk money and hire Hoiberg as advisor to Shaka.  Have a good season next year and let Shaka move to a Wake Forest type situation and then let Hoiberg slide in as head coach.  Win-Win for everybody. 

Tech also gained two talented grad transfers that have been key, but your broader point that Shaka is a shitty coach still stands.

Fuck that hiring Hoiberg as an advisor bullshit.  You're basically making Shaka a lame duck dead man walking, it would be so obvious.  Such pussy BS.

Sack up, fire him and hire Hoiberg as head coach. 

22 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

Tech has an advisor to Coach Beard by the name of Sean Sutton.  Sutton may not have been great as a head coach, but he can coach defense.  Why don't we take the sunk money and hire Hoiberg as advisor to Shaka. 

Because Hoiberg is/would be in high demand and wouldn't accept a role like that-- he doesn't need to work in an advisory capacity, and these guys aren't backstabbers. He wouldn't take a role expecting to replace the head coach.

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Fenves & Perrin should never have added an additional year to bullshit contract that worthless Patterson agreed to......

So IIRC nearly everyone listed Shaka as the one really smart thing Patterson did in his tenure.  It' was considered a great hire at the time in tons of ways -and the idea was that Patterson pulled off a coup to get him here over UCLA, etc. 

It just hasn't turned out that way.  It's time to move on but I don't have the animosity about it that I do for almost everything else Patterson pulled.

46 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

And Beard would be my choice to replace Smart however he is pretty much out of reach with that 6 year deal he has.

I would like to know more - there are 5 years left on a 6/19MM deal. .Is it a that a straight money per year contract or is it end-loaded and incentive-laden?  Are the other terms that make him out of reach?

17 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The hilarious thing is that we went through the same thing two and a half years ago with Strong. People were seriously calling for us to hire an "advisor" (like Fedora) to support Strong and eventually step in his place.

It just means you're too pussy to fire someone.  What if you hire Hoiberg to "advise" with the plan to step in after you fire Shaka, but you wait too long to fire him and some other school offers him $5 million/year and he leaves?  CDC would end up raked over the coals for not "stepping up and firing Shaka and making Hoiberg head coach when he had the chance." 

If your coach needs a coach to do the head coach duties for him, you fire the dumbass coach and hire the competent one to run things. 

• Like 1

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic