Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

28 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So IIRC nearly everyone listed Shaka as the one really smart thing Patterson did in his tenure.  It' was considered a great hire at the time in tons of ways -and the idea was that Patterson pulled off a coup to get him here over UCLA, etc. 

It just hasn't turned out that way.  It's time to move on but I don't have the animosity about it that I do for almost everything else Patterson pulled.

I would like to know more - there are 5 years left on a 6/19MM deal. .Is it a that a straight money per year contract or is it end-loaded and incentive-laden?  Are the other terms that make him out of reach?

If Beard leaves for a Big 12 school before April 2021, the buyout is 40 percent of the remaining base salary and rights fees on the contract.

If he leaves for another (non-Big 12) school or the NBA before April 2021, the buyout is 20 percent of the remaining base salary and rights fees left on the contract.

If he leaves after April 2021, the those buyout numbers drop to 20 percent and 10 percent, respectively.

Beard's contract (base salary and rights fees) is thus:

2018-19 - $2.8 million 
2019-20 - $2.9 million 
2020-21 - $3 mil 
2021-22 - $3.1 mil 
2022-23 - $3.2 mil 
2023-24 - $3.3 mil

So Beard's buyout if he came to Texas after April of this year would be $6.2 million.

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Chip (fuck him), somewhere in his insane ramblings last night, mentioned it's $20m-ish to buy out Shaka and Beard.  If that's the direction CDC wants to go in about 3-4 weeks. 

We didn't even pay that much to make a change for football.

24 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yah, I just can't see CDC ponying up $20 million fucking dollars.  For basketball.  BASKETBALL at Texas.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Exactly.   It's amazing many in this forum don't seem to understand that at the end of the day CDC is running a business.  When it was obvious Strong needed to go, there were real economic consequences if he returned another year.  CDC has to be doing a cost-benefit analysis here and it wouldn't surprise me if it makes more financial sense to not eat the buyout this year and let it reduce more.  Especially given all of the projects currently underway.  Hiring a new coach is not going to automatically result in massive increased donations or season ticket sales to make up the additional $3MM+.  I'm guessing if Shaka is gone, it's because some prominent boosters that actually give a damn about basketball decided to step up and make it happen.   How many give a damn about basketball that haven't already been tapped out given all of the other projects?

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Exactly.   It's amazing many in this forum don't seem to understand that at the end of the day CDC is running a business.  When it was obvious Strong needed to go, there were real economic consequences if he returned another year.  CDC has to be doing a cost-benefit analysis here and it wouldn't surprise me if it makes more financial sense to not eat the buyout this year and let it reduce more.  Especially given all of the projects currently underway.  Hiring a new coach is not going to automatically result in massive increased donations or season ticket sales to make up the additional $3MM+.  I'm guessing if Shaka is gone, it's because some prominent boosters that actually give a damn about basketball decided to step up and make it happen.   How many give a damn about basketball that haven't already been tapped out given all of the other projects?

When people give up on the coach (and I'm not saying it's unwarranted), we go into full silly season. Logic goes out the window

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yah, I just can't see CDC ponying up $20 million fucking dollars.  For basketball.  BASKETBALL at Texas.

You will also have to pay him waaaaaaay more that the 3.3 M per he'll make at Tech.  And don't think that the GOBs in Lubbock are just going to back down and let him go over a few million dollars.  We are West Texans, you know.  So you're looking at 25 M or more than you're paying now over the next few years, buyout and salary.  And Tech is about to open one of the nicest basketball only practice facility in the country.  And also remember that with the private help to build a 10K seat arena, you won't control it exclusively.  The USA is owned by Tech and Men's Basketball is the Number One tenant. 

There's a reason for that contract and there's a reason Beard agreed to it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

But We're Texas

Yep.

And it kind of makes sense in sports where we're royalty, like football, baseball, and men's swimming and diving.

But men's basketball? Forget making Bill Self say no, we probably couldn't even pull Beilein, Few, Wright, or maybe even Altman.

Shaka will be here next year for sure but my 2 insider coaches that know assistants and athletic department peeps have been telling me that all year. That doesn't mean that people don't see we need a change it just means sometimes the shitty contract(fuck you Patterson) is the reason. Wait till aggy is calling for jumbo head with 7years left of a guaranteed contract with no BUYOUT in FOOTBALL! 

But hey if CDC raises the money I will be over the moon! Just don't sit there and think it's some easy thing to do when you are doing the SEZ project and a new Arena for bball. 

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yep.

And it kind of makes sense in sports where we're royalty, like football, baseball, and men's swimming and diving.

But men's basketball? Forget making Bill Self say no, we probably couldn't even pull Beilein, Few, Wright, or maybe even Altman.

GODDAMNIT BEILEIN IS SIXTY FUCKING SIX, NO ONE IS PULLING HIM ANYWHERE

I get so sick of that name being thrown about like he's a) someone people would/should go after or b) some kind of measuring stick for how much pull a program has. He's great. But he's wrinkly-balls old. Not a candidate.

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I get so sick of that name being thrown about like he's a) someone people would/should go after or b) some kind of measuring stick for how much pull a program has. He's great. But he's wrinkly-balls old. Not a candidate.

I know that. But I've seen people throw out his name as a realistic candidate because Michigan isn't a blue blood.

Edited by Machinator

12 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

i mean don't get me wrong, Marshall >>>>>>> Shaka; Hed just be way down my list because of his, uh, personality traits. 

If you keep personality out of it and just look at his resume, I think he is a very good candidate for Texas to consider.  

Edited by Horn80

Cross post because this shit is so beyond indefensible.

FGA stats from last night's game:

Hayes: 1/2

Febres - 1/10

Mitrou-Long - 3/13

Coleman - 6/15

There are only 2 logical explanations for this: absolutely horrific coaching, or point shaving.

2 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Apparently, you haven’t watched “Game Plan with Shaka Smart” ... 

Is that a 10 second show between commercials? Because that's about all the time it would take to explain "one high, four low then run a single slow screen at the top of the key."

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Beilein's first 4yrs at Michigan not much better than Shaka's at Texas..... Horns fans probably would have wanted to run him off too.

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Beilein's first 4yrs at Michigan not much better than Shaka's at Texas..... Horns fans probably would have wanted to run him off too.

excellent comparison, we're clearly being too impatient with Shaka Smart

if we just wait til he's sixty, he'll be coaching gold, no doubt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

That's not what he's saying.

That said, Beilein also won two tournament games in his first four years, and didn't have any one-and-dones on those teams.

4 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

NOT saying keep Shaka... he's no where near the coach Beilein is.  Just find the similar stats for their first 4yrs interesting....

(Shaka at Texas, Beilein at Mich)

Edited by LTtxfan

On 3/4/2019 at 11:08 AM, texasstrong12 said:

This board is going to be hilarious in a few weeks. 

Yup. 

I think he will be here next year (buyout too big) and I’ll take it a step further—something crazy will happen next year like a nice tournament run.

6 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Yup. 

I think he will be here next year (buyout too big) and I’ll take it a step further—something crazy will happen next year like a nice tournament run.

Any scenario where Hayes might return for next Season??

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I am disappointed with Shaka, but I agree with those saying the buyout is too big. If we open a new stadium and it’s empty bc our team sucks, I think CDC pulls the trigger 

Right, but the stadium isn't opening until 2021. Either Shaka pulls off an amazing turnaround or we have a new coach opening night.  I think that's a pretty safe bet.

And Beard would be my choice to replace Smart however he is pretty much out of reach with that 6 year deal he has.

Not saying we should go after Beard. He’s a really good fit for Tech given his background there. Good for them. Makes for a better conference.

Not so sure his success would translate to Texas. I was just musing how hiring BK really worked out well for them.

Are any of Barnes old assistants in Austin making any noise elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Not saying we should go after Beard. He’s a really good fit for Tech given his background there. Good for them. Makes for a better conference.

Not so sure his success would translate to Texas. I was just musing how hiring BK really worked out well for them.

Are any of Barnes old assistants in Austin making any noise elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember the last time Texas hired a defensive-minded coach with questionable offensive acumen and one good NCAA tourney run to his name.

Most of Barnes' old assistants are still his assistants. Ogden is in his first year at UT-A, otherwise most of the rest are with him at Tennessee.

Edited by Bitterwhiteguy

On 3/4/2019 at 9:10 AM, Machinator said:

Who would you define as a "big name" at a basketball school?

I think we would all agree that the traditional blue bloods (UNC, Duke, UCLA, Indiana, Kentucky) are out of bounds. What else?

I think Texas could compete with Indiana & UCLA for coaches these days, depending on context.

Schools Texas is unlikely to win a bidding war against: Duke, UNC, UK, KU, Louisville, Villanova, Gonzaga (at least while Few is there), Michigan State (ditto Izzo), Syracuse, UConn, Virginia. Some of the smaller schools in the Philly area/Big East area will punch above their weight when it comes to retaining coaches they really want as well. Texas could pry somebody out of, say, Xavier but they'd have to seriously overpay to get that coach.

• Like 1

Of the fantasy land picks we are throwing around right now, who do you think runs the best half-court offense?  Or any half court offense for that matter?  The last 3 guys we've had (Smart, Barnes, Penders) either ran a shit offense, a junk offense, or no offense.

It seems like we recruit well enough to actually play the game of basketball the way it was meant to be played.  I don't want transition offense or running horns or havoc. Is it too much to ask for a guy that understands the basics of offense?

8 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Schools Texas is unlikely to win a bidding war against: Duke, UNC, UK, KU, Louisville, Villanova, Gonzaga (at least while Few is there), Michigan State (ditto Izzo), Syracuse, UConn, Virginia. Some of the smaller schools in the Philly area/Big East area will punch above their weight when it comes to retaining coaches they really want as well. Texas could pry somebody out of, say, Xavier but they'd have to seriously overpay to get that coach.

1st yr Head Coach at Xavier (Travis Steele) won't be a candidate at Texas....

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Of the fantasy land picks we are throwing around right now, who do you think runs the best half-court offense?  Or any half court offense for that matter?  The last 3 guys we've had (Smart, Barnes, Penders) either ran a shit offense, a junk offense, or no offense.

It seems like we recruit well enough to actually play the game of basketball the way it was meant to be played.  I don't want transition offense or running horns or havoc. Is it too much to ask for a guy that understands the basics of offense?

You don't want the havoc, huh?

The only havoc I want to see at this point is Shaka being pelted with rancid cheese as he flees with a big bag of Texas money hoisted over his shoulders.

• Haha 1

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic