Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

1 minute ago, Disco Missile said:

If Steve Patterson was an enemy agent whose sole mission was to destroy Texas men's athletic programs, he couldn't have done much better.

We will have spent close to $60 million on two amazingly mediocre coaches. To be fair, Perrin and others played a role in some of that as well.

Perrin got Pierce who seems pretty promising. But yeah CDC is the man and will get his guy. Just pray he already does. 

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

The question is going to be with the expected upheaval coming soon with the Addias pay for play saga, is it going to be possible to do better than Smart for this coming offseason or do you let him hang for one more year in a do or die scenario knowing that that year most of the pay for play guys should now have been identified..

Do you feel comfortable making this move knowing that there is an even greater amount of uncertainty than usual in the replacement talent pool?

To me it’s time to move on, but I can understand the other side..

huh? what does the adidas basketball stuff have to do at all with our coaching search? 

Just now, Disco Missile said:

If Steve Patterson was an enemy agent whose sole mission was to destroy Texas men's athletic programs, he couldn't have done much better.

We will have spent close to $60 million on two amazingly mediocre coaches. To be fair, Perrin and others played a role in some of that as well.

Meh. I don't have much hate for Perrin. He hired Herman and Pierce who both look to be good coaches. 

Just now, Laxtonto said:

The question is going to be with the expected upheaval coming soon with the Addias pay for play saga, is it going to be possible to do better than Smart for this coming offseason or do you let him hang for one more year in a do or die scenario knowing that that year most of the pay for play guys should now have been identified..

Do you feel comfortable making this move knowing that there is an even greater amount of uncertainty than usual in the replacement talent pool?

To me it’s time to move on, but I can understand the other side..

this is why CDC is getting paid.  you have to be ready for this and you have to be evaluating you coach's ability not just the record.  if you call your shot about being top 10 program then let him go another year for 4Mil when he could do slightly better(5th in conf, make tourney, bounced in round 1) you aren't doing your job.

we aren't a basketball blue blood but we can pay and we are in a recruiting area a lot of coaches would kill to be in.  add the new arena and you should be able to get one of your top 3 targets.

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

They were labeled the most egregious at-large bid ever. It was also the first year of the "First Four", which they played in. Letting that team in the tourney was incomprehensible.

will be funny if the top 2 worst at large are VCU final four team and 2019 Texas

Just now, Goo Punch said:

huh? what does the adidas basketball stuff have to do at all with our coaching search? 

What happens when the trial this summer pops another slew of new names that haven’t already been know, including hypothetically the newly hired UT coach?

The Addidas case adds one more level of uncertainty and we would be fools to not be willing to account for that.

We get one shot as a new coach to be timed with the opening of the new arena, so it needs to be a fool proof HR.

1 minute ago, Horny Bull said:

That’s being pretty generous.

so true.  Patterson, Strong and Smart, have even warped our perception of mediocre.  mackovic was mediocre and he won a couple of conf championships.  

1 minute ago, Vito Andolini said:

I just tried to do some cursory research and saw a $13.8 million figure. Is it really a $20 million buyout? If so, can someone give a quick primer? Thanks.

$20 million is in reference to the Beard buyout. Maybe Texas goes in a different direction. 

Most of the top tier coaches are going to have some type of buyout. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again: give this roster to Tom Izzo or Bill Self and this is a Sweet 16 team.  There's talent there.

And there will be more talent next year when Ostekowski graduates and Jones (hopefully) returns.  A new coach has a chance to get off to a really good start.  Or we can go .500 with this fraud.

Get him out of here.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I am all in for firing Shaka as soon as KU crushes us in the first round of the Big XII tourney but my problem is who are we going to convince to come here?

We will not just be able to "get" whomever we want.

That's the biggest issue. It's not even so much "get" whomever we want it's the fact the coaching market sucks so there are limited options. 

When names like Keatts, Dixon and Prohm are thrown around as options it tells you how shit the market is. 

I am all in for firing Shaka as soon as KU crushes us in the first round of the Big XII tourney but my problem is who are we going to convince to come here?

I hate this mentality so much.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I think people are underestimating the number of comparable jobs open.

Looks pretty clear that UT, UCLA, and now LSU are a given, and I would expect at least one more big babe school gets swept up in the Addidas mess...

Do I think we can out pay those schools, yes. Does that mean that it is a guarantee we get our first target, no.

All I am stating is that we might want to temper expectations if Smart does get canned. There is going to be significant competition for the upper echelon candidates (more than usual) and even then there is still more risk than usual tied to that hire.

Shitty offseason to be coach hunting for College Basketball 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I couldn’t disagree more with this. If you’ve got a guy you know is a failure, you get rid of him. Period. 

Hiring coaches is all about timing. Firing one meh coach for another meh coach just puts Texas right back in this position 4 years later. 

The thing that helped push a move in firing Strong is arguably the top coach on the market loved Texas and it was his dream job. 

Maybe there's a type out there like Herman. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

The handwringing over being able to hire someone that we’d want is pretty fucking laughable and you guys worrying over it should take a break from the keyboard, go get a testosterone shot, eat a burger or something, and then maybe show back up and try again. 

I’m not saying Texas will get the hire right. The premise that they won’t have the option to do so, however, is comical. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Musselman, Buzz, Hoiberg, Howland, Prohm, Beard, Cronin...

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

Then let’s stay where we are with the .500 fraud. 

That’s the problem. I don’t really like either option. Normally I am a fire first guy, but the added complications with the pay to play stuff adds another layer of uncertainty that I know has to be factored in. 

I would still fire him I think, but would have a coach already selected and potential $$ already finalized before I did and I would be worried the entire summer that I made the right choice.

CDC has to make this decision, but it’s no where as cut and dry as it normally would be.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

If you a) hire coaches fully expecting not to make tough decisions on them for 4 years, and b) won’t consider an interim coach route while we wait. 

This is such a bullshit argument that was abundant in December 2016 when we were clearly going to fire Strong. I won’t further engage those that make it, but it’s total pussy bullshit. 

"Shaka sucks so I would be cool with hiring a tier 2 or 3 type coach even if they are kind of meh too. But hey they're an improvement over that failure of a coach in Shaka". 

That's essentially the argument you're making. I sure as hell hope that isn't the way CDC is going about this decision. 

Everyone knows Shaka has been bad and needs to be fired. Texas also needs to get the next hire right. Maybe Texas can make a great hire but the idea you fire a coach without considering the possible replacement is just dumb. 

Based on everything I've read on CDC from TCU fans/boards he's not going to fire Shaka because "he's a total failure". He's going to fire Shaka because he already has an elite coach lined up that can win. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

What is going to piss  e off the most is that Smart will get canned, go to a smaller maned school and will flourish running his Havoc system...

Still can’t come to grips with how little pressure we run and how poor our transition O has been in comparison to his VCU teams.

5 minutes ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

Not that emotionally attached to hoops, but the timing seems very appropriate to look for another head coach. The pros outweigh every conceivable con.

Then what happens when the best hire we can make is Jamie Dixon, Keatts, or Prohm? All better than Shaka but we would be hiring another average coach. 

Like I said above, I don't think that's how CDC operates based on everything TCU fans have told me. He's apparently really methodical with firing coaches and won't make a move unless he has "his guy" ready to be hired. 

Anyone with eyes can see Shaka isn't the right guy but I think CDC's decision calculus is much more complex than "let's go hire some random coach even if he's better than Shaka". 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

What is going to piss  e off the most is that Smart will get canned, go to a smaller maned school and will flourish running his Havoc system...

Still can’t come to grips with how little pressure we run and how poor our transition O has been in comparison to his VCU teams.

you don't seem to actually know anything about shaka smart, our coaching search, or anything else being discussed in this thread. 

also, why would anything that Shaka does after being fired piss you off the most? how about all of this losing and awful basketball here at Texas? that do anything for you? or are you one of those VCU fan Shaka cultists?

Edited by Goo Punch

I just tried to do some cursory research and saw a $13.8 million figure. Is it really a $20 million buyout? If so, can someone give a quick primer? Thanks.

How do we still owe that clown that much money after Year 4? Did we extend him somewhere?

Not likely. As I was reminded on another thread, he got to the Final Four in his second season then went out progressively sooner every season after that. Dude was on a downward trajectory when he got to Texas.

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

TS12 still can't fully admit that it's time to go. Stunner.

I think it's definitely time for Shaka to go. I also want the replacement to be a good coach. Firing Shaka for us to end up with somebody like Jamie Dixon or Steve Prohm doesn't exactly get me excited. 

If you told me we could hire a Buzz Williams type (even though I think he's overrated) I would be fully on board with the move. 

Edited by texasstrong12

10 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Fuck Wescunt Ewok, but he's right and the buyout current sits at $12.9 million.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/4/2/17189646/shaka-smart-contract-guaranteed-texas-longhorns-chris-del-conte

I've been waiting to hear Wescott's excuse for today's shit show. He has a grand excuse for every loss.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

If firing Shaka to hire Jamie Dixon doesn’t get you excited then you’re a moron and everyone on this board should treat you like Drew. 

Hiring a coach that was run off from Pitt and might miss the tourney 2/3 years at TCU is what gets you "excited" you're only proving my point. 

That would be an F hire. No way around it. 

You just want a better coach than Shaka. I get it. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

weltlich.jpg

Shaka says:

tenor.gif

I remember those dreadful days. People around here hate Penders but I could do with a turn around like the one Penders brought us right now.

Penders was awesome, did a lot with minimal talent - unlike Shaka or Barnes who had loads of NBA players. 

16 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Then what happens when the best hire we can make is Jamie Dixon, Keatts, or Prohm? All better than Shaka but we would be hiring another average coach. 

Like I said above, I don't think that's how CDC operates based on everything TCU fans have told me. He's apparently really methodical with firing coaches and won't make a move unless he has "his guy" ready to be hired. 

Anyone with eyes can see Shaka isn't the right guy but I think CDC's decision calculus is much more complex than "let's go hire some random coach even if he's better than Shaka". 

Who says that's the best we can do?  Two things will go into motion...  get the $ right for the buyout, then start qualifying the market.

If Shaka is around for another year of a PT Barnum version of Texas basketball, then we coudn't get the money right..  not a reflection of who we could pull.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic