Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

16 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Why would any reasonable person expect Shaka year 5 to be a breakout year ?

Buyout motive is buyout motive but what indicators are there for a great career saving season for him at this point?

Because sportswriters write crap like this:

"There are several good reasons for this, and one of them is that Smart still has the ability to make this work. His Longhorns over the past four seasons have beaten enough good teams and shown enough promise for someone to squint and see a future in which the program finally takes a leap, as unlikely as that scenario seems on days like Saturday."

I see a future in which Shaka is finally fired and someone else, anyone else, mercifully gets a chance. 

The attrition under Shaka has been abysmal. There is a reason why he's always relying on underclassmen for the majority of minutes on his squads. It's hilarious that people keeping talking about his buyout. The total compensation isn't changing. The only thing that could happen is that the FBI has him on tape that would mitigate the compensation.

Edited by HtownHorn

28 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

"There are several good reasons for this, and one of them is that Smart still has the ability to make this work. His Longhorns over the past four seasons have beaten enough good teams and shown enough promise for someone to squint and see a future in which the program finally takes a leap, as unlikely as that scenario seems on days like Saturday."

I see a future in which Shaka is finally fired and someone else, anyone else, mercifully gets a chance. 

Holy shit that's hilarious.

He's losing his best player and 2 seniors, he never plays his deep bench, so it's likely 2-3 kids will transfer after this season.

For every good team they've beaten there is a Radford, VCU, Providence, Tennessee State, Texas-Arlington, and Kent State 

Edited by HtownHorn

46 minutes ago, Tired Horn said:

Did that come out of Finger's article? He's usually a good litmus test. If you agree with him you're either a moron or want to see Texas fail. He's the latter.

• Like 4

Since when does Mike Finger write pollyana propaganda pieces?  After Herman lost to Maryland, Finger mocked Herman’s presser comments and openly questioned him in articles.  And now he wants to romanticize the Shaka Smart era after one of the most pathetic, embarrassing  performances of his tenure? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Fuck Wescunt Ewok, but he's right and the buyout current sits at $12.9 million.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/4/2/17189646/shaka-smart-contract-guaranteed-texas-longhorns-chris-del-conte

Sure we will. Nobody wants to try to raise money and build excitement for the new basketball facility with a craptastic coach. If they want to get rid of him the buyout ain't stopping it.

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Holy shit that's hilarious.

He's losing his best player and 2 seniors, he never plays his deep bench, so it's likely 2-3 kids will transfer after this season.

For every good team they've beaten there is a Radford, VCU, Providence, Tennessee State, Texas-Arlington, and Kent State 

This!  

Plus his reliance on one year and done types to build the core of his teams sucks!!!!!

Take the Duke or UNC model and get some good prospects who are not even close to being  on the NBA wish lists during their Junior or Senior years in high school.

this deserves mention here:

the long and short of it is that James Banks played for Georgia Tech this year and, statistically speaking, he was more or less the equal of Tristan Thompson during his year at Texas. 

So, despite perpetually losing while having a short bench that he refuses to play, Shaka in four years has lost Taylor, Allen, Bamba, and Hayes to early entry, Barnett (13.7 ppg, 5.9 reb, 41% 3P%, 90% FT% at Mizzou), Banks, and Young to transfer, Tevin Mack and Kerwin Roach to suspension and/or transfer, and EDJ to scandal. On top of losing Ridley and AJ1 to injury and cancer. 

WHAT A CLUSTERFUCK. 99% of CBB fans and probably 90% of Texas fans seriously don't understand the levels to this shit. the stunning levels to this man's incompetence in nearly every area of coaching a major D-1 basketball team. Unreal.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 3

Oh yeah, and that's all besides Shaka having yet to sign a true PG/floor leader, besides him recruiting guards who are not a fit for the offense we run a la Greg Davis asking 6'5", 330 lb linemen to run out to the flats to block, and BESIDES leaving his bigs on the bench and forcing Eric Davis Jr to guard Marvin Bagley in OT vs Duke. Dude is rolling ball of clusterfuck.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't think that's fair to Matt Coleman. He's not a bluechip but he's a true point guard.

I see him as more of a combo guard in a small body. he doesn't have natural PG instincts or a feel for the game. he's very hot and cold, sometimes playing brilliantly and other times disappearing, but his poor decision making and lack of instincts remain a constant. I know we all expected him to be a true PG (I thought he would be like a Jeff Teague type), but to me has PG skills that he only sometimes utilizes effectively, plus a propensity to look for his own shot too often, thus i see him more as a combo guard. 

So Shaka's contract has 4yrs left through 2022-2023.  The buyout is $12.9 million after this season.

If Texas buys out Shaka, is that paid over a 4yr period,  roughly $3.2mill per year??

If so, I think the money for all of Charlie Strong and his assistants contracts has finally been paid out so that has freed up some money for the AD.  If CDC likes Hoiberg and can convince him to come to Texas, hiring Fred does not require a buyout from another college so the money can work.

Edited by LTtxfan

On 3/7/2019 at 1:01 PM, LTtxfan said:

Here's a creative way CDC might help Shaka leave

1. CDC arranges for UT to pay Shaka $10mill lump sum to buy out existing contract.  

2. CDC agrees to no offset if Shaka coaches elsewhere.

3. Shaka signs a 4yr deal with Wake Forest with a Contract worth $10+mill    (Good for Wake Forest since no buyout to get Shaka)

4. CDC hires Fred Hoiberg as Horns Basketball Coach   (No buyout of another contract to get Hoiberg)

Well there may be a possibility of a reduced buyout for Texas????

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2019/3/10/18258653/sources-shaka-smarts-departure-likely

"I have three sources who have said some form of this, but more to the point I have zero sources saying Smart is definitely staying another year. The people I’ve talked to who believe Smart will be at Texas next season all seem to be operating from the assumptions I was working off of prior to yesterday, namely that the guaranteed money was too big to get past. I think - and to be clear, this part is my personal speculation - Texas is helping Shaka find another home in exchange for a reduction on the guaranteed money left on his deal."

Edited by LTtxfan

I have this terrible feeling that we arent gonna be able to rid ourselves of Smart this easily. We are so close, which is right when the fucky stuff happens. We will probably beat Kansas or sneak into the tournament and go on a run. I just have a bad feeling this Shaka nightmare isnt over.

That feeling is called “Texas reality.” All Texas fans should be used to it.
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Well there may be a possibility of a reduced buyout for Texas????

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2019/3/10/18258653/sources-shaka-smarts-departure-likely

"I have three sources who have said some form of this, but more to the point I have zero sources saying Smart is definitely staying another year. The people I’ve talked to who believe Smart will be at Texas next season all seem to be operating from the assumptions I was working off of prior to yesterday, namely that the guaranteed money was too big to get past. I think - and to be clear, this part is my personal speculation - Texas is helping Shaka find another home in exchange for a reduction on the guaranteed money left on his deal."

There were rumors that Wake Forest wanted Shaka. They also wanted him back in '14 so it would make sense (the tweet below is from '14). 

Just now, Pancho Negro said:

IT reporting he’s likely back but his name is linked to other jobs

I think that's the key. Even Bitterwhiteguy said he was under the assumption that the "guaranteed money was too big to get past". 

Finding another high-major gig would soften the blow on the buyout. This is relevant to the buyout discussions. 

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Things must be unpleasant enough that Shaka is willing to get out of Dodge for a few million dollars less (if he can find the right landing spot).

Say what you want about him, I'm sure he didn't take the job expecting to go .500 at best every year. I'm sure he is as frustrated as we are but unlike us I'm pretty sure he doesn't think he fucking sucks as a coach, so he figures if he can just change his geography, his huge winning ways will return.

These buyouts are lethal.  I can't blame a coach for saying "just pay me my buyout and I'll retire fabulously wealthy".  Most coaches won't, because they coach out of extreme love of the game + they like the ego stroke.  Shaka doesn't seem quite like that guy.

I think it's one thing to get fired, take the money, and sit for maybe a year while waiting a smaller-school job.  After too long, though, and that waiting period looks really bad.  (I say this even though I realize that, regardless of the fact that it's a different sport, UNC just hired Mack Brown, so I'm probably off base.)

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think we need to root for Wake to fire their coach. The rumors that @Onboard 2.0 was hearing a couple of weeks ago seem to be real.

Manning is 65-91 at WF. Has only made the tournament one time in 5 years and that was a "first four" game. He's never finished higher than 10th in the ACC. 

Seems likely he's going to be fired. 

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think we need to root for Wake to fire their coach. The rumors that @Onboard 2.0 was hearing a couple of weeks ago seem to be real.

Well, Manning has had 1 (out of 5) winning season at Wake Forest. Which is likely 1 less than Shaka will have at Texas. It's amazing he's lasted this long really.

He constantly talks about the players needing to focus on “the things that go into winning”.  As if they naturally don’t want to give max effort on defense, block out, take care of the ball, take open shots. It’s a subtle way of throwing the players under the bus.  “I told them here are the things they needed to do to win, but we lost, so obviously they didn’t do the things I said”.  It’s YOUR JOB to put them in the best position to do those things.  When they don’t do them, it’s almosy always NOT because they didn’t want to. It’s because you didn’t give them the tools to.  Too much psychology, not enough nuts and bolts basketball.   Get someone in here who can teach basketball.  

17 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Another writer who typically knows stuff....

But the bigger factor is financial, and that one is immutable. Smart’s contract is fully guaranteed for four more years and $12.9 million, and even the richest athletic department in the country cannot justify pouring that much money - plus whatever it would cost to buy out a new coach’s deal from another school - into a program that UT’s fan base always has treated as a passing distraction.

Like hell. A&M, Ohio State, and Michigan could and would pony up $12.9 million without a second thought in our situation.

Edited by satyanash

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic