Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So who besides Lunardi actually has Texas in the tournament? I read an article in The Athletic this morning counting Texas as safely out. I assume a loss to KU, a .500 record and 16 losses would have to have us out, but I know this is the softest bubble in years. 

We are in 58 out of 76 brackets that they have updated.  That's down from last week when we were in something like 117/122. 

Lunardi has us in. 

CBS has us out. 

Just now, Dbeasy said:

It would be just our luck to see Shaka run thru the Big 12 tourney and win it. This forum would melt down.

In spite of myself I would laugh.

But Texas has never advanced past the quarterfinals in the Big 12 tourney under Shaka, and I don't expect them to now.

The hard thing to reconcile (assuming a loss to KU) is the idea of a 16-16 team getting a bid versus the idea of the #6 team in the Big 12 not getting in.
When they get to Texas, they should start looking at mid majors

From IT:

- He's likely back next year as CDC isn't going to pay to buy him and the assistants out

- However, helping Shaka find a job is something CDC might do, and that would help.  This is where WF makes the most sense due to relationships with the AD, but WF has an issue themselves and that's paying Mannings buyout. 

- Summarry--unless another school comes calling for Smart, he will be back next year. 

12 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Hey at least it isn't the CBI?

But seriously fuck this situation. Time to rehire Tom "DTs" Penders and just throw up a ton of threes.

Just to quantify how much the game has changed:

The 1990 Elite Eight Penders squad shot 652 threes in 33 games, which was 19.76 per game and 27.45% of their total shots.

This Texas squad has taken 774 threes through 31 games, which is 24.97 per game and 43.2% of their total shots.

From IT:
- He's likely back next year as CDC isn't going to pay to buy him and the assistants out
- However, helping Shaka find a job is something CDC might do, and that would help.  This is where WF makes the most sense due to relationships with the AD, but WF has an issue themselves and that's paying Mannings buyout. 
- Summarry--unless another school comes calling for Smart, he will be back next year. 

If we’re trying to find him a job somewhere, how is he “likely back”?

2 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

From IT:

The Wake angle makes a lot of theoretical sense because getting Shaka for a reduced contract helps Texas make the numbers work and helps Wake deal with their buyout numbers. Say Wake decides to pay Shaka $2m/year, that's $2m/year Texas won't have to pay him but he's still getting $3m/year of the remaining Texas guarantee. That also means Wake is getting a $3m/year coach for $2m/year, meaning they get $1m/year freed up to offset Manning's buyout. It's mutually beneficial, from a numbers standpoint.

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Exactly.

Beard is just a pup.  Why would anyone want to take that risk in their program?

Beard has proven to be a really good coach in a tough league and get the most out of his players. He's doing it at Texas freaking Tech too. However, I don't think he'll leave there for Texas. Shaka, on the other hand, hit lightning in a bottle for one tournament run and ran a super gimmicky style that he can't replicate in actual basketball conferences.

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I didn't read that as we are helping him find a job.  I read it as that's something that's an option for CDC, not that he's actually doing that right now. 

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I would infer that the writers don't think the probability of Shaka finding a soft landing is that high, and CDC doesn't want to pay the full buyout.

11 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

I didn't read that as we are helping him find a job.  I read it as that's something that's an option for CDC, not that he's actually doing that right now. 

Also how I read it.

"He's back IF there's no landing spot to offset the buyout and it doesn't look likely anyone wants him" 

14 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Didn't shaka also make an elite 8 appearance as well??

No. Shaka has never made the Sweet 16 other than the Final Four run with the least-deserving at large selection in NCAAT history.

His postseason results:

CBI champions
Final Four
Round of 32
Round of 32
Round of 64
Round of 64
Round of 64
No postseason
Round of 64

He has lost 5 consecutive NCAAT games, with his last win 6 years ago.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Just to quantify how much the game has changed:

The 1990 Elite Eight Penders squad shot 652 threes in 33 games, which was 19.76 per game and 27.45% of their total shots.

This Texas squad has taken 774 threes through 31 games, which is 24.97 per game and 43.2% of their total shots.

Yeah but that Penders team actually made a lot of those 3s. 

18 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Point being, if we want to pawn him off on someone, I’d think the decision has already been made. It’s just finding the most cost efficient way of getting rid of him.

So not the Pittsburgh Steeler Method?

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

Dude we’re definitely in the tournament...

the National Invitation Tournament 

Other tournaments we won't be in:

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Tournament of Roses Parade

Sherwood Forest Faire Jousting Tournament

• Haha 1

I am inclined to believe if CDC has his guy he will make the move regardless of the buyout or 'soft landing' for Shaka. I don't think CDC would leave it to chance that Shaka gets a solid season next year with a more experienced Coleman and has his hand forced to keep Shaka another year or more because we moved from bad to decent. 

Obviously a lot of moving pieces and if CDC's target makes a deep tourney run, it might turn a back room 'done deal' to Texas into staying on at the current school. I think Beard probably falls into that category. If the target is Musselman or a coach that we can easily money whip, tourney results might not matter as much.

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Sorry, but I see nothing “decent” about coaching the same way for four straight years with the same predictably shitty results. 

This. The coaching talent in the big 12, while very good, does not explain his teams' perpetual lack of identity and maddening inconsistency from game to game.  

It's pretty much identical to the Charlie situation.  His peers were good coaches and also he was terrible. See: the same exact problems surfacing in Tampa. 

Bet Shaka's issues will follow him to his next stop, when he's coaching at Not Wake Forest.

57 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

This whole "Shaka to Wake" angle seems about as plausible as me dating Jennifer Connelly in her prime.

I don’t think it’s that crazy of an idea. Take BWG’s example and make it even more extreme. If Wake pays Shaka $1 mil per year, then we save $4 mil (cheaper than firing Shaka next year) and Wake gets a coach they could sell to their fan base for dirt cheap with no buyout so they can afford to pay the buyout for their current coach.

I laugh at the idea of finding him a school that wants him and us moving on. Why would Wake or anyone else want what we dont? It would take some delusion for Wake or anyone else to think Shaka would do better at their school than he has at Texas.

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I have always liked Buzz Williams. I am not sure why, other than Aggie throwing million$ at him, he would even consider going there.

he was an assistant coach there for two years, so either that will help or hurt us.

3 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I laugh at the idea of finding him a school that wants him and us moving on. Why would Wake or anyone else want what we dont? It would take some delusion for Wake or anyone else to think Shaka would do better at their school than he has at Texas.

It would have to be so much of a major stepdown (a la UT to USF for Strong) that the salary offset would not be that meaningful in reducing the buyout.  Also, the new school knows about the existing contract, so that would be built in to their offering price.  This whole idea seems silly.  

5 minutes ago, Dewey said:

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

It would have to be so much of a major stepdown (a la UT to USF for Strong) that the salary offset would not be that meaningful in reducing the buyout.  Also, the new school knows about the existing contract, so that would be built in to their offering price.  This whole idea seems silly.  

See my post above about getting out of their current coach’s contract. The real question is how much does Wake want to get rid of their current coach/do they think Shaka is an upgrade? Shaka’s about the only guy they could possibly acquire that alleviates their own buyout issues.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic