Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

13 minutes ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

Who says that's the best we can do?  Two things will go into motion...  get the $ right for the buyout, then start qualifying the market.

If Shaka is around for another year of a PT Barnum version of Texas basketball, then we coudn't get the money right..  not a reflection of who we could pull.

I think we can do better but the market does suck. 

My point wasn't so much that "Texas can't do better" it's that you don't go blindly into a coaching search just because "X coach sucks".

Case in point softball this offseason. CDC was apparently talking to several coaches behind the scenes (Walton at Florida, White at Oregon, and Torina at LSU). If you're going to fire a coach with that type buyout you better have someone lined up that's better than "ah he's better than Shaka". 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

And you don’t? JFC

I want a coach that's much better than Shaka. 

Jamie Dixon was run off from Pitt and is now close to missing the tournament 2 out of 3 years at TCU. Just because he's an upgrade over Shaka doesn't mean it's a good replacement. 

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I am all in for firing Shaka as soon as KU crushes us in the first round of the Big XII tourney but my problem is who are we going to convince to come here?

We will not just be able to "get" whomever we want.

I would hope we could convince a Texas alumnus to come coach Texas.

That's who I want.

22 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Hiring a coach that was run off from Pitt and might miss the tourney 2/3 years at TCU is what gets you "excited" you're only proving my point. 

That would be an F hire. No way around it. 

You just want a better coach than Shaka. I get it. 

Do you have any idea what Dixon did to turn around TCU? And he had the best 2-3 seasons Pitt has had in past 20 years.  

Dixon is a really good coach that has coached at mediocre to poor programs and made them better than they have historically been (granted, Pitt has had some good teams historically, but Dixon has the most consistency there until they fucked up and moved to the ACC).  

He’s one of the best four overall coaches in the Big XII, easy. 

Perhaps Texas is too big of a program for him. I’ll listen to that.  But he is an excellent coach. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Hiring coaches is all about timing. Firing one meh coach for another meh coach just puts Texas right back in this position 4 years later. 

The thing that helped push a move in firing Strong is arguably the top coach on the market loved Texas and it was his dream job. 

Maybe there's a type out there like Herman. 

Probably not. Texas football is arguably the top job in the country. Texas basketball is not.

6 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Do you have any idea what Dixon did to turn around TCU? And he had the best 2-3 seasons Pitt has had in past 20 years.  

Dixon is a really good coach that has coached at mediocre to poor programs and made them better than they have historically been (granted, Pitt has had some good teams historically, but Dixon has the most consistency there until they fucked up and moved to the ACC).  

He’s one of the best four overall coaches in the Big XII, easy. 

Dixon has done a good job at TCU. He's also in danger of missing the tournament 2/3 years after running Pitt into the ground. 

In the last 8 years Dixon has averaged over 12 losses a year. Seriously, a coach that's averaged over 12 losses a year over nearly a decade is the type coach we want? 

People hate Shaka so much they're going to try and justify hiring somebody like Jamie Dixon. Shaka has to go but Dixon would be a crap hire. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You think extending his contract through ‘22-‘23 was running off the winningest coach in Big East history?  You don’t think it had something to do with wanting to coach his alma mater?  Do you realize what TCU was before Dixon?  

He wouldn’t be a mere upgrade over Shaka. It would be night and fucking day. 

What? Dixon isn’t even close to coach Boeheim at Syracuse? Winningest coach in big wast history? Lulzzz are you 9 and didn’t realize how long the big east was around?

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I wonder what type of push back cdc will get if he doesn’t fire Shaka? Most ut fans that are “livid” stay that way for 2 days and move on to baseball. Hopefully cdc does because we all know what’s coming next year keeping Shaka. Just do it!

Basketball is the #2 revenue sport. CDC should not be caught napping on this.  he had 2 years of data and just personally watched a 3rd and a 4th.  this is not getting better.  after 4 years, we are so far from being 1 or 2 in the conference it is laughable.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

Basketball is the #2 revenue sport. CDC should not be caught napping on this.  he had 2 years of data and just personally watched a 3rd and a 4th.  this is not getting better.  after 4 years, we are so far from being 1 or 2 in the conference it is laughable.

And if he holds onto him? Is CDC on the hot seat?

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

He didn’t. When he was “faltering” toward the end, he was having late-era Barnes years. Significantly better than Shaka. The fact that Dixon was named as a reason to not fire Shaka is fucking hilarious. 

We fired Barnes for the late-era Barnes years.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He didn’t. When he was “faltering” toward the end, he was having late-era Barnes years. Significantly better than Shaka. The fact that Dixon was named as a reason to not fire Shaka is fucking hilarious. 

He had double digit loss seasons in 4 out of his 5 final seasons at Pitt and finished T-13th, 4th, 5th, T-9th, T-9th in conference. 

Pitt was terrible at the end of Dixon's tenure. 

A guy that's averaged over 12 losses a year for nearly a decade shows you how low the bar is at this point. 

Edited by texasstrong12

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He means, let's get a really good coach instead of just anyone who's better than Shaka.

Just anyone who's better than Shaka is a pretty long list.

I can't believe what we're paying this clown. Jackass hit the lottery.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

To be fair, however, we are #1 in being excruciating to watch. It's a style of sorts. 

• Like 2

CDC should be thinking, if he is at all the AD I think he is, I got Dixon(yes i know he went there) to TCU from Pitt.  I should be able to get way better than Dixon at Texas.

he has stated he wants coaches that have coached in power conferences an have sustained success.  He has to do his due diligence to find someone who while pretty successful in a Power conf, is looking for something new.  Its a tough job but we pay him well to do exactly that.  no sympathy from me that the market might not be good to get a coach falling from a tree.

To everyone continuing to argue with TexasStrong- you're arguing with someone who has spent years defending Shaka at every turn, making every excuse, and then every time another coach is brought up he shits on the guy and downplays everything he's ever done as if he's a bum. There's no sincerity there, and even less knowledge. You'd have an easier time convincing Shaka himself that he needs to be fired. TS12 is incapable of being objective on this subject.

Dixon went 328-123 at Pitt (73% W/L), finished first or second in the Big East five times in nine years, then left to coach at his alma mater where he has immediately turned them around despite having inferior talent and a multitude of roster issues. But he's just a bum according to TS12 (who was like 10 and not even watching when Dixon was at Pitt). Do not want according to TS12.

Same as a couple days ago when he was shitting on Buzz Williams, another guy who did very very well in the Big East and who is currently doing very well at a program smaller than Texas. A native Texan in his 40's who played his college ball in state and who is a huge upgrade over Shaka. But TS12 says he sucks, all the while supporting Shaka and being a giant prick for the majority of the last four years before he (thankfully) disappeared for most of this season. Now he's back and as insufferable and argumentative as ever. You'd have more success convincing him to cut off his own dick than to admit gbag Shaka needs to go. Or to get him to stop opining on shit he knows nothing about. He should leave the board again and not return until he accepts reality. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Dixon has done a good job at TCU. He's also in danger of missing the tournament 2/3 years after running Pitt into the ground. 

In the last 8 years Dixon has averaged over 12 losses a year. Seriously, a coach that's averaged over 12 losses a year over nearly a decade is the type coach we want? 

People hate Shaka so much they're going to try and justify hiring somebody like Jamie Dixon. Shaka has to go but Dixon would be a crap hire. 

Dixon didn't run Pitt into the ground.  The ACC did.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Dixon went 328-123 at Pitt (73% W/L), finished first or second in the Big East five times in nine years, then left to coach at his alma mater where he has immediately turned them around despite ha king inferior talent and a multitude of roster issues. But he's just a bum according to TS12 (who was like 10 and not even watching when Dixon was at Pitt).

I'm not sure why you try to distort arguments. I've never once said Dixon is a "bum".

He's a decent coach that's lost a lot of games in the last decade. If you're selling that as a "good hire" the bar is really low. 

Seriously, there are people trying to justify hiring a coach that's averaged over 12 losses a year for 8 years. This is incredible. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Barnes had 7 largely mediocre seasons. Dixon had 5, and his teams performed better than ours down the stretch against better competition. And, in that midst of that 5 year stretch his contract was extended to a 10-year deal. 

You can argue all you want about Dixon versus Barnes all you want (and I think the two are extremely comparable), but the notion that Pitt was running him off is wrong. 

period. he left to go coach at his alma mater.

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

period. he left to go coach at his alma mater.

This is such a terrible take. He left for his alma matter but Pitt fans were ready to run him off. He had no job stability at Pitt and was going to be fired in the near future if he didn't bounce. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I'm not sure why you try to distort arguments. I've never once said Dixon is a "bum".

He's a decent coach that's lost a lot of games in the last decade. If you're selling that has a "good hire" then the bar is really low. 

you're simply out of your element as always. literally bro- everything you've posited about this program and its coach over the last four years has been u informed bullshit. i'm being serious- you do not know what you are talking about- ever. You are too simple and young and uninformed to understand any of this. You are the only one here who doesn't understand that the likes of Buzz Williams and Jamie Dixon are legit, certified, good college coaches who would have every chance of success here at Texas. They are proven, they have won at multiple schools in multiple big conferences, and yet you continue to suggest that they are substandard, after four years of supporting an actual bum who is nowhere near their level.

at some point you need to wake up and realize that you are out of your element. clueless. uninformed. your track record there is unmatched. i don't post on the recruiting board because i don't follow or know about recruiting. that's your lane. i'd advise you take the same approach to basketball from here on out. just stop. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I hate this mentality so much.

You are full of shit if you think we can just walk out there and hire any coach we want because we are a Texas.

Football...?

Yes.

Basketball ?

No way.

There are at least five coaches in the Big XII I would rather have....and we are not getting any of them.

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

you're simply out of your element as always. literally bro- everything you've posited about this program and its coach uber the last four years has been misinformed bullshit. i'm being serious- you do not know what you are talking about- ever. You are too simple and young and uninformed to understand any of this. You are the only one here who doesn't understand that the likes of Buzz Williams and Jamie Dixon are legit, certified, good college coaches who would have every chance of success here at Texas. They are proven, they have won at multiple schools in multiple big conferences, and yet you continue to suggest that they are substandard, after four years of supporting an actual bum who is nowhere near their level.

at some point you need to wake up and realize that you are out of your element. clieless. uninformed. your track record there is unmatched. i don't post on the recruiting board because i don't follow or know about recruiting. i'd advise you take the same approach to basketball from here on out. 

Facts are facts. You're justification for Dixon is from over a decade ago. Mack Brown was good 10 years ago maybe we should go rehire him. 

Again, you're trying to justify hiring a coach that's lost over 12 games a year for nearly a decade. Here's his conference finishes in the last 8 years. T-13th, 4th, 5th, T-9th, T-9th, T-7th, 5th, and likely 7th this year. 

He's done a decent job at TCU but that would be a terrible hire based on his resume these last 8 or so years. 

Edited by texasstrong12

TS12- 

"The 2016 Longhorns could be great!" 

"The 2019 Longhorns will only lose once at home."

"We should consider keeping Shaka Smart, and all available candidates are unimpressive."

you talked so much shit for so long and then got ghost when the writing was on the wall even for you. that's so cowardly. now you're back and the same as ever. one terrible, disingenuous, uninformed take after the other. just stop.

1 minute ago, Steamboat1874 said:

You are full of shit if you think we can just walk out there and hire any coach we want because we are a Texas.

Football...?

Yes.

Basketball ?

No way.

There are at least five coaches in the Big XII I would rather have....and we are not getting any of them.

Serious, no-BS question: who is the highest paid coach in college basketball? What is the amount? And is that a salary we could afford or even afford to go over?

im not saying we could money whip anyone, but we certainly have the money to

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

TS12- 

"The 2016 Longhorns could be great!" 

"The 2019 Longhorns will only lose once at home."

"We should consider keeping Shaka Smart, and all available candidates are unimpressive."

you talked so much shit for so long and then got ghost when the writing was on the wall even for you. that's so cowardly. now you're back and the same as ever. one terrible, disingenuous, uninformed take after the other. just stop.

1-I was wrong about Texas this year. I owned it. Nice straw man though. 

2-Ghost? I've been here. Even with us sucking

3-I don't think "all available candidates are unimpressive". Dixon is definitely unimpressive looking at the last 8 years. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Serious, no-BS question: who is the highest paid coach in college basketball? What is the amount? And is that a salary we could afford or even afford to go over?

Coach K makes $9M, I think.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

There are “at least five” you’d rather have?  Who are the 4 in question that you’d retain Shaka over?

This is such a loser attitude to have - not firing a guy that isn’t producing for fear of who you’d replace him with. That is cancer to any organization and the person (coach in this case). 

I am not saying we should keep Shaka...

The five Big XII coaches I would rather have...?

Self

Beard

Dixon

Huggins

and yes...

Drew

We will not be getting any of them next season...period.

12 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Coach K makes 9 million

Calipari makes 8 million

Surprisingly, Holtman at tOSU is 3rd at 7 million.

I think cdc will make a great hire but I also think he knows he can get better than Dixon being the AD at Texas. He made a great hire for tcu but became the Texas ad to get even better coaches than he ever could at tcu, if he couldn’t he would have stayed in ft worth.

i think if cdc can pull the trigger he will do it. 

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic