Mojo Hand

Woodworking, DIY, and home repair thread

On 5/26/2020 at 5:06 PM, deadshank said:

What happens when you get in a shooting war with your neighbor?

Doubles as a shooting bench. 

2 hours ago, Okie State said:
2 hours ago, Anastasis said:
Fucking this. 

Seems like I spend an inordinate amount of my time fixing other people's fuck ups.

Don't get me started.  From door pans construction crews didn't install correctly, to unaddressed wood rot, to just be basically lazy with simple shit.  Next house will be a new build so I at least have someone to yell at. 

9 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Shed.

Would you believe I got my Shaggers² wrong?  That was supposed to be directed at @Austinvines who I had met with in the early evening yesterday, not to @Anastasis .

I just thought you were praising sheds, which would be appropriate for this thread.

Back in February, during the BeforeTimes, I had TuffShed come out and install a new 8x10 shed on the side of the house.  The first part of that project was actually moving my fence and gate up about 14' toward the front of the house, to have room for the shed in the backyard.  That was previously just some front/side yard on our corner lot that we weren't really using, so it's much better use of the space in the backyard, so the shed is tucked away but I can't actually see it from anywhere in the main part of the backyard.

Anyway, that shed became my tool storage and workshop, I custom built-in a ton of pegboard and workbenches, and there's room in the center for a lawnmower and edger (if I ever get one, right now I have a yard guy). And that meant I cleaned out the garage and can now get two cars back into it, plus it's all just a lot cleaner and more organized.

Pretty cool build-out on the inside of the shed, and the kids helped me paint the whole interior over a couple of weekends which was fun for them.  I'll post some pictures one of these days.

I just thought you were praising sheds, which would be appropriate for this thread.
Back in February, during the BeforeTimes, I had TuffShed come out and install a new 8x10 shed on the side of the house.  The first part of that project was actually moving my fence and gate up about 14' toward the front of the house, to have room for the shed in the backyard.  That was previously just some front/side yard on our corner lot that we weren't really using, so it's much better use of the space in the backyard, so the shed is tucked away but I can't actually see it from anywhere in the main part of the backyard.
Anyway, that shed became my tool storage and workshop, I custom built-in a ton of pegboard and workbenches, and there's room in the center for a lawnmower and edger (if I ever get one, right now I have a yard guy). And that meant I cleaned out the garage and can now get two cars back into it, plus it's all just a lot cleaner and more organized.
Pretty cool build-out on the inside of the shed, and the kids helped me paint the whole interior over a couple of weekends which was fun for them.  I'll post some pictures one of these days.

You’re in the trust tree here. You can say “Mexican”.

1 minute ago, Gil Bang said:

You’re in the trust tree here. You can say “Mexican”.

Ha!

But actually, he's not.  He's a really skinny old white dude with a long white beard.  Like a super-skinny Santa Claus.

He does pretty much everything--  lawnmowing, brush-clearing, bed-clearing, and he trims trees better than every professional service I used before I found him, but also costs half as much.  He's awesome.

Found a few laminate planks (floating floor) that have slightly popped up. Would applying some glue on the seam keep them down?

Don’t they normally staple those?
It was installed before we moved in. Appears to be a tongue and groove click system from what I can see.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, chikin23 said:

Found a few laminate planks (floating floor) that have slightly popped up. Would applying some glue on the seam keep them down?

No, the system is called "click and lock", very similar to tounge and groove, but different in that they lock together without the need of glue or nail. I can't tell without picture,  but they usually pop up with they have been installed too tight to the wall, house shifts a bit and they buckle, or it was a poor install to begin with, doesn't take.much to mess up an edge and they don't properly lock in place. Or it could be that moisture got under them

Its a bit of a hassle to fix, but not all that bad, probably the hardest part is finding the floor at various stores, they don't keep the same product long enough. Hopefully you have some leftover,  in which case you carefully remove the damaged section and patch in the new. Whats hard about that is finding the end, where you can take out a small section,  you can end up chasing it down the hall and clear across a room.  

Its been.more than a minute since I've had to deal with that stuff, I'm sure YouTube can help.

Edited by Dewey

No, the system is called "click and lock", very similar to tounge and groove, but different in that they lock together without the need of glue or nail. I can't tell without picture,  but they usually pop up with they have been installed too tight to the wall, house shifts a bit and they buckle, or it was a poor install to begin with, doesn't take.much to mess up an edge and they don't properly lock in place. Or it could be that moisture got under them
Its a bit of a hassle to fix, but not all that bad, probably the hardest part is finding the floor at various stores, they don't keep the same product long enough. Hopefully you have some leftover,  in which case you carefully remove the damaged section and patch in the new. Whats hard about that is finding the end, where you can take out a small section,  you can end up chasing it down the hall and clear across a room.  
Its been.more than a minute since I've had to deal with that stuff, I'm sure YouTube can help.
Does this picture help?6e7150902854a764f297d7f68ca793d8.jpg8ccba11ed571c4d48682b8f3fec206ec.jpg

That's a bit too close to really tell, but looks like a poor install. Either the end of the tounge was damaged when installed, or the groove was damaged or had the tiniest of particle in it, making it impossible to "lock"

We got a table that we’re using as a desk. I’m going to install an outlet so I can limit wires hanging around.

Reason for the post, I’m debating drilling a hole in the middle of one of the legs to run the wire to absolutely hide it. I have a 24 inch drill bit, but I’m a little nervous about blowing out the side and ruining the table. Has anyone done this? Is it a bad idea? Should I just use clear zip ties and run the wire up the back corner leg that should be pretty hidden?

3 hours ago, kmac30 said:

We got a table that we’re using as a desk. I’m going to install an outlet so I can limit wires hanging around.

Reason for the post, I’m debating drilling a hole in the middle of one of the legs to run the wire to absolutely hide it. I have a 24 inch drill bit, but I’m a little nervous about blowing out the side and ruining the table. Has anyone done this? Is it a bad idea? Should I just use clear zip ties and run the wire up the back corner leg that should be pretty hidden?

Wouldn’t it be easier to use a large staple or glue or something else less permanent behind the leg rather than go inside it? I’m sure you can find some sort of small hooks or something to keep the wire hidden that won’t require drilling through the middle of the leg.

image.jpeg.1cee8b7394fef488792bf10c7722f4a0.jpeg

2 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

I would not drill out the center of a weight supporting leg. Someone leans on it and it collapses.

I disagree. I see hilarity ensuing...

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I used zip ties. Easier and easily cut to change out or add wires.

Can't be easier than the clear clips that Enchubben showed.

Granted, the doublestick whatever rarely holds as long as you want it to.

I'm late to the game, but I was going to suggest buying this to drill out the table leg.  To make sure it's perfectly straight and whatnot.  

https://www.elitemetaltools.com/tool-shop/products/jet-egh-2180-elite-21x80-large-spindle-bore-clutch-lathe-892250?sku=892250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8aGj3uCp6gIVDtvACh1_bwK3EAQYASABEgIp0fD_BwE

I wasn't talking shit. Just thought it was a good excuse to buy a new tool that you'd never use again.

Hard to pass up. Save $10k? No brainer.

22 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I'm late to the game, but I was going to suggest buying this to drill out the table leg.  To make sure it's perfectly straight and whatnot.  

https://www.elitemetaltools.com/tool-shop/products/jet-egh-2180-elite-21x80-large-spindle-bore-clutch-lathe-892250?sku=892250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8aGj3uCp6gIVDtvACh1_bwK3EAQYASABEgIp0fD_BwE

Free shipping!