Jump to content
Seasick Sailor

NCAA to Allow Players to be Compensated for their Names, Likenesses, and Images

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

And there is much rejoicing in law firms specializing in Title IX lawsuits.

Not really, because it turns out that most law firms actually know the law. Weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s go. I need to fill out my staff of agents let’s start pimping these 5 stars. We can link up with them about 10th grade. Get mommy and daddy to sign a contract and we can manage them. For a 20% fee though. Pimp then out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Dude seems to have his priorities crooked.

 

 

lulz

Someone should ask that genius if his bill will apply to all college students who receive scholarships but also work a second job. Or just those uppity athletes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I too am horrified that adult Americans will be able to make money based on the free market's opinion of the value that they add to various commercial interests. recruiting rankings.

FIFY. 

Although I'm sure there will be some of the other and some a mix of both (looking at you Adidas.)

I still want to see the rules the NCAA creates around this.  I'm actually a bit more optimistic this can be done and somehow perserve a semblence of amateurism and fair play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JBJ said:

FIFY. 

Although I'm sure there will be some of the other and some a mix of both (looking at you Adidas.)

I still want to see the rules the NCAA creates around this.  I'm actually a bit more optimistic this can be done and somehow perserve a semblence of amateurism and fair play.

Amateurism is a joke. The only bigger joke is that the NCAA is still trying to hold onto their corrupt model three decades after even the IOC realized it was a stupid and lost cause.

Amateurism is dead when coaches and administrators are making over 100 times the median household income.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for T9, I get that money from 3rd party endorser won't apply...now.  BUT, do we not envision that being challenged in court?  

Or say a school can't directly pay it's players, but players can receive payments for endorsements and their likeness...... that's not "fair" to the track and field or swimmers who don't have video games to benefit from. Or the female BBall or softball players who can't even fill a stadium much less get endorsements or games made.  

I think this system will result in a widening of the gap between the haves and have-nots. This resulting lack of parity will cause 2nd tier programs to fold up shop. The result will be disastrous to women's athletics and non-revenue sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz

Someone should ask that genius if his bill will apply to all college students who receive scholarships but also work a second job. Or just those uppity athletes!

Apples to oranges but I see whatchu sayin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BabaYaga said:

As for T9, I get that money from 3rd party endorser won't apply...now.  BUT, do we not envision that being challenged in court? 

This part makes no sense. If you really did get that 3rd party endorsements won't apply then you would understand why a court challenge on a Title IX basis would go nowhere in court.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BabaYaga said:

As for T9, I get that money from 3rd party endorser won't apply...now.  BUT, do we not envision that being challenged in court?  

Or say a school can't directly pay it's players, but players can receive payments for endorsements and their likeness...... that's not "fair" to the track and field or swimmers who don't have video games to benefit from. Or the female BBall or softball players who can't even fill a stadium much less get endorsements or games made.  

I think this system will result in a widening of the gap between the haves and have-nots. This resulting lack of parity will cause 2nd tier programs to fold up shop. The result will be disastrous to women's athletics and non-revenue sports.

Well at a certain point, you probably have to ask how athletic departments are serving the interests of providing educational and research opportunities for students. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Apples to oranges but I see whatchu sayin

Except it's not. Great young minds all over the country receive academic scholarships because their talents raise the profile of the universities who want them to attend their institutions. So they go to school for free. Then they can also get a job while going to school and make money accordingly.

Why are athletes different? It's the exact same thing other than the fact you and I don't watch chemical engineering undergrads study on television. So if your only reason for wanting to deny adults the ability to make money that the market is willing to pay them is that you worry it might mess up that stuff on TV you like to watch then, frankly, you suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

As for T9, I get that money from 3rd party endorser won't apply...now.  BUT, do we not envision that being challenged in court?  

Or say a school can't directly pay it's players, but players can receive payments for endorsements and their likeness...... that's not "fair" to the track and field or swimmers who don't have video games to benefit from. Or the female BBall or softball players who can't even fill a stadium much less get endorsements or games made.  

I think this system will result in a widening of the gap between the haves and have-nots. This resulting lack of parity will cause 2nd tier programs to fold up shop. The result will be disastrous to women's athletics and non-revenue sports.

Why will they fold up shop? Why will football players making money on the side cause them to fold up shop? How come the football coach making 100 times what the swimming coach makes does not make them fold up shop?  

I need an explanation because I've seen this talking point repeatedly brought up without any analysis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guaranteed this will be a shit show and probably signals the end of college football in 10-15 years. A true minor league will probably replace it, but who the fuck is gonna wanna pay for the likeness of some random dude on a minor league team? It will be as popular and as well paid as minor league baseball.

Edited by Michael Knight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What reasons are those that would be fucked up by this? I'm assuming "I love to watch young adults sacrifice their bodies for my entertainment without the freedom to maximize their profits from those sacrifices" isn't one of them.

Honestly, since it hasn’t been implemented yet, I can’t say for sure. I am concerned about how it will affect recruiting and also making a mostly amateur sport into a quasi professional one. Yeah, I know, it already is with all the money that universities and television networks make. But I honestly was already uneasy with that even though I didn’t start following college football until this model was already in place. And I don’t disagree that student athletes shouldn’t be compensated in some way, but I just am not sure what would be the best way to do that. Another admittedly naive part of it is just simple pride in wanting to play for a university, not for the university that will make you the most money. And I know that sounds ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Dude seems to have his priorities crooked.

 

 

And that's fair, if limited to those who "choose" to cash in.  Otherwise don't penalize the majority who don't have the option to cash in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Royalfan5 said:

Well at a certain point, you probably have to ask how athletic departments are serving the interests of providing educational and research opportunities for students. 

To quote the oft overlook line from "The Program"

when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, markstanco said:

There is only one.

 

I would be Nebraska and just run over everybody. Good times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:


Honestly, since it hasn’t been implemented yet, I can’t say for sure. I am concerned about how it will affect recruiting and also making a mostly amateur sport into a quasi professional one. Yeah, I know, it already is with all the money that universities and television networks make. But I honestly was already uneasy with that even though I didn’t start following college football until this model was already in place. And I don’t disagree that student athletes shouldn’t be compensated in some way, but I just am not sure what would be the best way to do that. Another admittedly naive part of it is just simple pride in wanting to play for a university, not for the university that will make you the most money. And I know that sounds ridiculous.

It's not as ridiculous as you think, but it's also not nearly enough to make this a bad move.

And I'm glad (not being sarcastic) that you recognize that you're being a bit silly with your concerns. The frustrating part is that there are millions of people who don't realize that about themselves.

Coaches start making millions - I HOPE MY TEAM PAYS MORE MONEY!
School administrators start making millions - GOTTA KEEP UP, PAY THEM MONEY!
NCAA administrators start making millions - IT'S A BIG JOB, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?
Athletes start making thousands - Now wait a gotdamn second.

Edited by Huckleberry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Guaranteed this will be a shit show and probably signals the end of college football in 10-15 years. A true minor league will probably replace it, but who the fuck is gonna wanna pay for the likeness of some random dude on a minor league team? It will be as popular and as well paid as minor league baseball.

Yep.  This right here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Guaranteed this will be a shit show and probably signals the end of college football in 10-15 years. A true minor league will probably replace it, but who the fuck is gonna wanna pay for the likeness of some random dude on a minor league team? It will be as popular and as well paid as minor league baseball.

That sure is a take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

And that's fair, if limited to those who "choose" to cash in.  Otherwise don't penalize the majority who don't have the option to cash in.

No, it's not fair. It's stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

And that's fair, if limited to those who "choose" to cash in.  Otherwise don't penalize the majority who don't have the option to cash in.

Why is that fair? To ask the question posed above, I assume you would agree that every student on scholarship who earns money on the side should have their scholarship amount taxed?  Not just athletes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Except it's not. Great young minds all over the country receive academic scholarships because their talents raise the profile of the universities who want them to attend their institutions. So they go to school for free. Then they can also get a job while going to school and make money accordingly.

Why are athletes different? It's the exact same thing other than the fact you and I don't watch chemical engineering undergrads study on television. So if your only reason for wanting to deny adults the ability to make money that the market is willing to pay them is that you worry it might mess up that stuff on TV you like to watch then, frankly, you suck.

Nothing is keeping college players from getting a job at pizza hut or an unpaid internship at Dell. You want to argue that a player should be able to play in the NFL and college at the same time go right ahead.

The issue isn't the pay the issue is the pay disparity. What the universities are making off of the athletes and what the athletes are receiving is not even close to being an equal exchange anymore. But I don't think this problem is fixable in our current system and is due for a total collapse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BabaYaga said:

To quote the oft overlook line from "The Program"

when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? 

Doesn't mean those 80,000 people showing up to watch are doing the school any good. Is there a good fucking reason to expect a bunch of state owned entities to be in the entertainment business? At some point, wouldn't it make sense to let schools be schools, and the sports entertainment business be the sports entertainment business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but fuck all this morality over NCAA talk, we gonna get NCAA 2020 and if so who will be on the cover? Montrell Estelle or Anthony Cook?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Royalfan5 said:

Doesn't mean those 80,000 people showing up to watch are doing the school any good. Is there a good fucking reason to expect a bunch of state owned entities to be in the entertainment business? At some point, wouldn't it make sense to let schools be schools, and the sports entertainment business be the sports entertainment business. 

They're already in the entertainment business. Have you been UT the last several years? I mean they have their own network don't they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, usmc0331horn said:

They're already in the entertainment business. Have you been UT the last several years? I mean they have their own network don't they?

No shit, I'm asking if it makes any sort of sense to keep going that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I love the sour grapes takes like make them pay for their tuition.  Society covets athletes like they do beautiful women, and you are the ugly fat chick.

I'm not a chick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Why is that fair? To ask the question posed above, I assume you would agree that every student on scholarship who earns money on the side should have their scholarship amount taxed?  Not just athletes.

If it exceeds the amount of the scholarship, sure, why not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RollLeft said:

If it exceeds the amount of the scholarship, sure, why not.  

man, that's a really weird position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Dog said:

Oregon about to have some sick recruiting classes.

RIght, because they weren't already paying them, and their recruiting base is so deep out there right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Why will they fold up shop? Why will football players making money on the side cause them to fold up shop? How come the football coach making 100 times what the swimming coach makes does not make them fold up shop?  

I need an explanation because I've seen this talking point repeatedly brought up without any analysis.

You are thick aren't you.  Let's put it terms you might understand.  Why do we watch NFL and not arena ball?  Product sucks, talent sucks and so in the end no one cares, so they fold up shop.  As for the survival of other college sports, most don't break even ,they exist due to Title 9.  With this rule now the poor will be less likely to attract talent because they have less money and therefore less likely to be relevant.       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Angry Gorilla said:

Will this mean I can pay the UT volleyball team an appearance fee to come to my pool party?

Only way to find out is to try 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RollLeft said:

You are thick aren't you.  Let's put it terms you might understand.  Why do we watch NFL and not arena ball?  Product sucks, talent sucks and so in the end no one cares, so they fold up shop.  As for the survival of other college sports, most don't break even ,they exist due to Title 9.  With this rule now the poor will be less likely to attract talent because they have less money and therefore less likely to be relevant.       

Most opposed to this argue that the players are already paid enough because college football is all about the schools and the attachment of the alumni. It's all about the names on the front of the jerseys and they would rake in money with anyone who played there so it's not about the athletes themselves so they really aren't adding any value.

Now it appears that you're saying the athletes themselves are the ones who add value so many programs will have to close shop? So are you not one of the people who think that athletes are already paid enough via scholarship? You are saying you believe that the athletes and their skills are what create the value of the athletic programs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

RIght, because they weren't already paying them, and their recruiting base is so deep out there right now.

They don't have to hide it anymore.  They'll continue to pull out of state talent.  Same with MD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t wait to see all the female athletes bitching that they don’t get paid as much as their male college counterparts.  Twitters will be lit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I would be Nebraska and just run over everybody. Good times.

kordell stewart would like to have a word with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Most opposed to this argue that the players are already paid enough because college football is all about the schools and the attachment of the alumni. It's all about the names on the front of the jerseys and they would rake in money with anyone who played there so it's not about the athletes themselves so they really aren't adding any value.

Now it appears that you're saying the athletes themselves are the ones who add value so many programs will have to close shop? So are you not one of the people who think that athletes are already paid enough via scholarship? You are saying you believe that the athletes and their skills are what create the value of the athletic programs?

It is hard to know what most people think as i only know a few people.

Now it appears?  As opposed to when?

I believe many things regarding student athletes and their compensation.

I did not state what it is you would like me to state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously, the devil will be in the details. I don't think the NCAA is backing "open the checkbooks and recruit to the highest bidder."

In case you're wondering, Texas will always be the highest bidder. We have more cash, more potential to earn and generate cash, and more deep pocketed donors ready to fund anything than any other team out there. We've bemoaned the SECSECSEC bagmen because we didn't want to play the "against the NCAA rules" game (at least publicly, to that degree - my naiivete has its limits). If there are no restrictions, we won't lose on money, ever.

If the limits are set high, it will cause the cannibalization of other sports at lesser funded (that is, all the rest of them) schools. I'm not certain how many schools in the Big 12 could support that kind of financial crush before abandoning the concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

It is hard to know what most people think as i only know a few people.

Now it appears?  As opposed to when?

I believe many things regarding student athletes and their compensation.

I did not state what it is you would like me to state.

You misinterpreted the word "now" in my post. I'm not saying you've said the things in the first paragraph in the past, just that others have frequently said them. 

So are you in fact saying what you implied? That the athletes are the ones who create value for their athletic programs? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its gonna be a shitshow just like the portal is.  and whoever said it above "yes Texas will fuck this up" is correct.  others will be far out in front of this.

the faster they go to a minor league and get rid of the 3 year rule the better.

we'll have Texas playing Oklahoma till the day i die but it will be with lesser athletes.  I'll be there to watch(as long as Orlando isn't the DC). maybe my 5' 9" 160 pound grandson might get to play for Texas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...