2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

Eagles, Smith, Washington, Moore and Whittington should get 90% plus percent of the reps when the game outcome is undecided. This move eliminates the chance that Epps somehow takes those reps away from much better playmakers. Coach Fuck Face and his stupid fucking haircut is no longer here to screw up the WR rotation. This is fantastic news. 

On 2/28/2020 at 3:51 PM, longhornmatt said:

The OL he said was the best he had seen started, at its best before injuries, the following guys:

LT - Connor Williams

LG - Vahe

C - Shackelford as a true sophomore 

RG - Jake McMillon

RT - Tristan Nickelson/Denzel Okafor/true freshman Kerstetter 

It was a shockingly bad assessment.  Even someone who never watches football, much less a D1 head coach, should be able to see that group doesn’t measure up to elite OL units.  I hope he was coked out of his mind or something when he said that. 

Coaches sometimes use press conferences to talk indirectly to their players to send messages or reaffirm them, or, as in this case, to try to build confidence in their charges. 

Herman is an elite OC who’s seen national championship caliber OL’s up close and personal. I have no doubt his hubris made him think the group you listed could be coached into adequacy. I also have no doubt that he knew that they weren’t anything close to the best OL he’s ever seen. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 6:58 PM, Newy25 said:

Eagles, Smith, Washington, Moore and Whittington should get 90% plus percent of the reps when the game outcome is undecided. This move eliminates the chance that Epps somehow takes those reps away from much better playmakers. Coach Fuck Face and his stupid fucking haircut is no longer here to screw up the WR rotation. This is fantastic news. 

Russina-Beauties.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 2:51 PM, longhornmatt said:

The OL he said was the best he had seen started, at its best before injuries, the following guys:

LT - Connor Williams

LG - Vahe

C - Shackelford as a true sophomore 

RG - Jake McMillon

RT - Tristan Nickelson/Denzel Okafor/true freshman Kerstetter 

It was a shockingly bad assessment.  Even someone who never watches football, much less a D1 head coach, should be able to see that group doesn’t measure up to elite OL units.  I hope he was coked out of his mind or something when he said that. 

As Batronic was saying, it was obvious at the time he was trying to build their confidence and nothing more. You’re dwelling on really stupid shit. 

• Like 2

Horns247 Staff: Who will be the breakout star of spring practice?

Each week, the Horns247 staff tackles the Question of the Week, where we dive in to some of the hottest topics surrounding the University of Texas and beyond. Less than one month out from the start of spring practice, the Longhorns will look to turn the corner following last season’s disappointing 8-5 record. Texas returns one of the most experienced teams in the Big 12 with 16 starters returning from last year’s roster. With that said, the Question of the Week is … Who will be the breakout star of spring practice?

Bobby Burton, Publisher

I think we’re getting ready to see a different guy in Marqez Bimage. The new defense is tailor-made for someone with his skill set. He’s quick, he’s athletic and he has some natural pass rusher in him. He had issues against the run playing straight-up on tackle,s but that problem will be mitigated somewhat with the new alignment. So long as he stays healthy, I think he’s a real player to watch this spring.

Chip Brown, Columnist

I'm a broken record until proven otherwise ... the breakout star of spring football will be Jordan Whittington. Wherever that guy lines up, he's got as much dog in him as any player on the roster!

Jeff Howe, Senior Writer

One way for Mike Yurcich to soup up the power spread offense of Tom Herman is to create matchup issues with the tight end. The focal point of the winter conversation at the position has revolved around moving Malcolm Epps there in an effort to build quality depth behind Cade Brewer, but Brayden Liebrock is the kind of guy Yurcich could unlock. Liebrock is talented enough that Herman openly talked about getting him on the field situationally last season.

The former Top247 recruit (No. 208 overall in 2019, No. 169 in the 247Sports Composite) played sparingly as a true freshman, but entering his redshirt freshman season, the offense potentially being more dynamic could allow him to get more playing time if he can block well enough to allow the Longhorns to change formations on the fly while keeping the same personnel on the field.

The goal for Herman, Yurcich and Jay Boulware should be to come out of spring practice with one of the tight ends behind Brewer capable of doing one thing well enough to allow the offense to function if something were to happen to the rising senior. Liebrock’s ability as a receiver might be the most elite tool anyone has in their arsenal among the other tight ends and if that can be tapped into this spring, Liebrock’s presence could make Texas even tougher to stop than it might already be if the usage of Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington benefits the offense the way the coaches hope.

Taylor Estes, Managing Editor

For me, it’s Jordan Whittington. We have heard since he was in high school how explosive of a player Whittington can be, though have yet to witness it first-hand due to his sports hernia injury. But with him back working with the team, I think a healthy Whittington is going to turn heads and be the toast of the town in spring practice.

Mike Roach, Recruiting Analyst

I think Chris Adimora rides the hot hand he had late in the year and forces some questions at safety with his play. Adimora proved to be a physical and aggressive safety last year, and now he has the opportunity to get on the field.

Nick Harris, Recruiting Reporter

I like the odds of true freshman safety Xavion Alford to come in and turn some heads in spring football. He is coming off of a senior season in which he did not play so that he could fully recover from a knee injury that he suffered last summer, but he will be coming in 100 percent fresh and ready to go. When fully healthy, Alford was a big-time difference maker at Shadow Creek and I think there's a solid chance we could see much of the same this spring.

Anyone know what the deal is with RRS tickets this year? I can't find any mention of single game tickets being for sale. Just booked my trip in from Canada for that weekend and want to line up game tickets. 

Edited by Redmen62

14 hours ago, Redmen62 said:

Anyone know what the deal is with RRS tickets this year? I can't find any mention of single game tickets being for sale. Just booked my trip in from Canada for that weekend and want to line up game tickets. 

Single game tickets don't go on sale until late summer.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 2:19 PM, Dbeasy said:

Of all the stories about Herman, two that bother me a lot were his proclamations that the OL and DL were really good and strengths of the team. They haven’t been. We all knew that. Why didn’t he? Or did he just lie about it on purpose and if so why?

He also doesn't know who we're playing until the week of the game. 

• Like 1

Hopefully the lightbulb will turn on for smith this year in the big games.

Horns247 Staff: Who will be the breakout star of spring practice?
Each week, the Horns247 staff tackles the Question of the Week, where we dive in to some of the hottest topics surrounding the University of Texas and beyond. Less than one month out from the start of spring practice, the Longhorns will look to turn the corner following last season’s disappointing 8-5 record. Texas returns one of the most experienced teams in the Big 12 with 16 starters returning from last year’s roster. With that said, the Question of the Week is … Who will be the breakout star of spring practice?
Bobby Burton, Publisher
I think we’re getting ready to see a different guy in Marqez Bimage. The new defense is tailor-made for someone with his skill set. He’s quick, he’s athletic and he has some natural pass rusher in him. He had issues against the run playing straight-up on tackle,s but that problem will be mitigated somewhat with the new alignment. So long as he stays healthy, I think he’s a real player to watch this spring.
Chip Brown, Columnist
I'm a broken record until proven otherwise ... the breakout star of spring football will be Jordan Whittington. Wherever that guy lines up, he's got as much dog in him as any player on the roster!
Jeff Howe, Senior Writer
One way for Mike Yurcich to soup up the power spread offense of Tom Herman is to create matchup issues with the tight end. The focal point of the winter conversation at the position has revolved around moving Malcolm Epps there in an effort to build quality depth behind Cade Brewer, but Brayden Liebrock is the kind of guy Yurcich could unlock. Liebrock is talented enough that Herman openly talked about getting him on the field situationally last season.
The former Top247 recruit (No. 208 overall in 2019, No. 169 in the 247Sports Composite) played sparingly as a true freshman, but entering his redshirt freshman season, the offense potentially being more dynamic could allow him to get more playing time if he can block well enough to allow the Longhorns to change formations on the fly while keeping the same personnel on the field.
The goal for Herman, Yurcich and Jay Boulware should be to come out of spring practice with one of the tight ends behind Brewer capable of doing one thing well enough to allow the offense to function if something were to happen to the rising senior. Liebrock’s ability as a receiver might be the most elite tool anyone has in their arsenal among the other tight ends and if that can be tapped into this spring, Liebrock’s presence could make Texas even tougher to stop than it might already be if the usage of Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington benefits the offense the way the coaches hope.
Taylor Estes, Managing Editor
For me, it’s Jordan Whittington. We have heard since he was in high school how explosive of a player Whittington can be, though have yet to witness it first-hand due to his sports hernia injury. But with him back working with the team, I think a healthy Whittington is going to turn heads and be the toast of the town in spring practice.
Mike Roach, Recruiting Analyst
I think Chris Adimora rides the hot hand he had late in the year and forces some questions at safety with his play. Adimora proved to be a physical and aggressive safety last year, and now he has the opportunity to get on the field.
Nick Harris, Recruiting Reporter
I like the odds of true freshman safety Xavion Alford to come in and turn some heads in spring football. He is coming off of a senior season in which he did not play so that he could fully recover from a knee injury that he suffered last summer, but he will be coming in 100 percent fresh and ready to go. When fully healthy, Alford was a big-time difference maker at Shadow Creek and I think there's a solid chance we could see much of the same this spring.

Who saw chip brown, chuckled, and skipped down to the next columnist?

As Batronic was saying, it was obvious at the time he was trying to build their confidence and nothing more. You’re dwelling on really stupid shit. 

There is no way a Mensa applying narcissist like Herman would publicly say something that makes him look dumb just to build confidence in guys. That’s ridiculous.

43 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

There is no way a Mensa applying narcissist like Herman would publicly say something that makes him look dumb just to build confidence in guys. That’s ridiculous.

Are you kidding? He clearly isn’t interested in what outsiders think about him. 

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

Heard on the radio that he has some soreness around the rib injury he suffered during the season.

Can't the send him to Europe where they spin your body fluids in centrifuges and they make you eat goat placenta while sitting in a super collider?

I don't know what I'm talking about. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

FWIW from friend of a friend, apparently Vernon Broughton is over 300 lbs and starting a pretty aggressive nutrition and diet plan to lose a few pounds. They want him down to 285/290 to play outside.

IT had something about him in the humidor today, but I haven't seen it on here yet.  This is the first mention of him I've seen since he enrolled in January.

Also, saw this, if he's 300 lbs it doesn't look like bad weight.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thekid_bigv/status/1235330655434813441

Edited by Elmer_Fudd