PSA-- don't tell people you want to dine with Hitler

Beau Vine

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
1 hour ago, texifornia said:
Oh, from a career standpoint his answer was unquestionably rock fucking stupid. The degree to which it was also factually stupid is the argument here.

He clearly should have invited Jim Jones to dinner. That man was a leader.

Just don’t have the punch 

I wonder how many people in the world had the surname Hitler before WWII and how many kept it afterward. I know I've read about people changing their names, but I never got a sense of how common that name was in Germany and elsewhere. My guess is it was much less common than Smith or Jones, but not particularly unique.

Just now, BabaYaga said:

There's leadership, and their political ascendancy.  They are not the same thing.  If you want to look for German leadership, look at Rommel or Schlieffen or any of the other amazing battlefield commanders.  

Rommel's way overrated and Schlieffen's a dumbass that didn't understand modern technology.

• Like 1

Was he a "good" leader, hell no.  Did he lead well, fuck no.  Was he an effective leader, well its hard to argue.  He did in fact motivate and persuade millions to follow and act on his behalf.  He was wrong for believing and doing what he did but effective nonetheless.   

You really have to grade Hitler on a curve. I mean, he took over a downtrodden program coming off scholarship reductions and postseason bans.  He got them turned around in short order and had them in the conference championship game.  A couple of calls or breaks go their way, and they may have won the title. He started reading his own press clippings, stopped trusting his assistants, and took over play-calling duties leading to their demise.  It's a tale as old as time.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I wonder how many people in the world had the surname Hitler before WWII and how many kept it afterward. I know I've read about people changing their names, but I never got a sense of how common that name was in Germany and elsewhere. My guess is it was much less common than Smith or Jones, but not particularly unique.

Hitler was actually Austrian and its still around they just pronounce it differently or spell it with umlauts or something 

Edited by Doc Reeves

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't doubt there are differences, but they are definitely more culturally and ethnically aligned than most separate sovereign nations.

Austria was supposed to be part of "Greater Germany" when Prussia was unifying everything but religion and the Hapsburg-Hohenzollern rivalry nixed that.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't doubt there are differences, but they are definitely more culturally and ethnically aligned than most separate sovereign nations.

Not to get the thread to go off topic but culture there is very regional. Austrians have a lot cultural similarities to Bavarians rather than Germans imo. There is some decent difference between th cultures of N,S,E,W Germans because of its long feudal history. 

When it some to actual culture and Nationalism, there is a distinct separate pride. Austrians are seen as what could be considered 'snobbish' by the Germans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

You really have to grade Hitler on a curve. I mean, he took over a downtrodden program coming off scholarship reductions and postseason bans.  He got them turned around in short order and had them in the conference championship game.  A couple of calls or breaks go their way, and they may have won the title. He started reading his own press clippings, stopped trusting his assistants, and took over play-calling duties leading to their demise.  It's a tale as old as time.

And let's not forget Hitler's jv team that was also peaking about that time. 1939 was a great year for Nazis 

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

So Hitler wore a bib and moved to Carolina?

56 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

... Austrians are seen as what could be considered 'snobbish' by the Germans. 

What's that saying, It ain't bragging if its true.  Given what they have contributed to the world in terms of the arts, as compared to Germany, I wouldn't say they are snobs, merely pointing out truths.     

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Guy was a history major at Drury.  And Drury had some prominent ni&&er’s eve parties around MLK day - well into this century.  I hope to hell this dumbass wasn’t involved in that shit.  

I’d like to think this was just an idiotic mistake.  

Didn't know that was a thing. Yikes.

21 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I lived in Germany and spent a goodly amount of time in Austria.

They share a language true. 

But so does Portugal and Brazil, or Mexico and Spain. The US and England.

Granted they are in much closer proximity but if you know the German language there is a lot of variation of dialect as well. Get to art, food, music or architecture and the distance grows even more.

Culturally, both groups would say you're full of shit. They're not particularly fond of one another. It would be like telling Linda, a New York City dweller, she is basically the same as Jed from rural Arkansas. Even better, tell a Milanese Italian they are the same as a Sicilian. Try it and see how that goes for you.

Texas vs Oklahoma seems a better analogy.  Places that are pretty god damned similar to the outsider, but whose inhabitants share a keen awareness of their differences and maintain a healthy distance, as well as take as offense to the charge of similarity (despite the accuracy of it in the macro sense).

Germans and Austrians are much physically closer than New York and Arkansas or Milan and Sicily.  My point wasn't that these places were identical, but that Hitler being from Austria and claiming a Germanic heritage wasn't that bizarre due to the amount of shared culture and ethnicity.  The majority of Austrians enthusiastically welcomed the Nazis.  It doesn't mean Germany and Austria are the same, but rather that the underlying bedrock is pretty similar.  Austria and various iterations of Germany considered merging/unifying many times over the course of history.

Whatever current differences exist seem much more micro than macro, and that's probably always been the case.  I'm painting with a general brush.

Texas vs Oklahoma seems a better analogy.  Places that are pretty god damned similar to the outsider, but whose inhabitants share a keen awareness of their differences and maintain a healthy distance, as well as take as offense to the charge of similarity (despite the accuracy of it in the macro sense).

Germans and Austrians are much physically closer than New York and Arkansas or Milan and Sicily.  My point wasn't that these places were identical, but that Hitler being from Austria and claiming a Germanic heritage wasn't that bizarre due to the amount of shared culture and ethnicity.  The majority of Austrians enthusiastically welcomed the Nazis.  It doesn't mean Germany and Austria are the same, but rather that the underlying bedrock is pretty similar.  Austria and various iterations of Germany considered merging/unifying many times over the course of history.

Whatever current differences exist seem much more micro than macro, and that's probably always been the case.  I'm painting with a general brush.

Yep.  Well put.  Also Vienna blows away anything in Germany.  

One of the first things he mentions in Mein Kampf is the unification of Germany and Austria. It was one of his main goals as pan-Germanism was a leit motif of the times and had been for a while. Hitler being Austrian is rather irrelevant other than to the elitist Prussian Aristocracy who constantly underestimated him and his appeal.

Just now, usmc0331horn said:

Uh, it depends on what you love about cities. I love Vienna and Berlin almost equally for very different reasons.

Would be a long reply, but it’s not because Vienna is fancy.  Just not as dry imo.  And their Architecture is still in tact - not bombed to hell.  A big architecture fan here.   

Imo Budapest beats em both.  

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Would be a long reply, but it’s not because Vienna is fancy.  Just not as dry imo.  And their Architecture is still in tact - not bombed to hell.  A big architecture fan here.   

I agree, both Vienna and Budapest are grandiose and absolutely stunning architecturally. And Vienna is just a great place to be both visiting and living. Berlin is a cultural, artistic and historical mecca and I absolutely love the people and culture there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Man, Idk where the fuck this thread belongs....but it sure as shit isn't the football board at this point.

Jimbo is to Hitler as Liucci is to Goebbels. The corps is the SA/Brownshirts. 

See, this is totally relevant to the football board.

spacer.png

Edited by Sejjr
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Ain't that the truth. Egészségedre!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Was he a "good" leader, hell no.  Did he lead well, fuck no.  Was he an effective leader, well its hard to argue.  He did in fact motivate and persuade millions to follow and act on his behalf.  He was wrong for believing and doing what he did but effective nonetheless.   

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

2 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

55 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

<<Assorted arguments about cultural similarities and differences in and around around Germany>>

7 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Man, Idk where the fuck this thread belongs....but it sure as shit isn't the football board at this point.

[Morris Berger] Woudn't it take a great leader to unite people with all of these cultural and regional differences? Wanna come over for dinner and discuss? Let's make it potluck. I'm a little short on cash right now[\Morris Berger]

• Like 2