Corona 2020/Dallas restaurants thread

C-Man

But I need that Fletcher's so much I'll brave heat exhaustion and Covid!

We have one of those Fletcher's mobile trucks coming to our neighborhood in August. Yeah, no thanks. I've saw what happened the last time they brought in a food truck and everyone gathered. Not worth it. 

A buddy drove by the Fletcher's pop-up in Carrollton last week. It was set up at Cane Rosso and, yes, the line was 2+ hours long. He bailed.

Is the place opened by the ostracized Fletcher grandkid in Las Colinas still open? I'm pretty sure they've serving the exact same corny dog there that Fletcher's is.

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

A buddy drove by the Fletcher's pop-up in Carrollton last week. It was set up at Cane Rosso and, yes, the line was 2+ hours long. He bailed.

Is the place opened by the ostracized Fletcher grandkid in Las Colinas still open? I'm pretty sure they've serving the exact same corny dog there that Fletcher's is.

https://www.corndogwithnoname.com/

• Like 1

Just now, DDD Dad said:

That’s only because her grandfather copyrighted the term. So Fletchers is the only company that can call it a corny dog.

I did not know that was the reason for the distinction.  Seems like they’re being a little petty with the granddaughter, so I’m not sure where I stand on this one.

17 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

That’s only because her grandfather copyrighted the term. So Fletchers is the only company that can call it a corny dog.

*Trademark

Dammit, DDD you should know better.

Not sure they're petty, exactly.  Ordinarily, a person has a right to use their own name as a trademark.  But not when they know of and intend to trade on the goodwill of another.

So a family member is going to have a harder time using their surname in competition with a family business than a stranger.  And, if Fletcherco is ever going to have hope to succeed in suing a stranger named Fletcher selling corn dogs, they have to start with family.

Picked up Ken Rathbun bbq this afternoon. Half of a brisket, a jalapeño cheese sausage link, Mac and cheese and baked beans. They were down the street at Lovers Seafood. I put the brisket and sausage in 200-degree oven until dinner. Probably dried out a little bit but it was pretty, pretty good. The sausage was fantastic. Mac and cheese was very meh but the baked beans were fantastic.

50cc60bc9d9904209b1161a74cb23f03.jpg

b55d9ebcf4eefd0b3e2dbf55558515c9.jpg

*Trademark
Dammit, DDD you should know better.
Not sure they're petty, exactly.  Ordinarily, a person has a right to use their own name as a trademark.  But not when they know of and intend to trade on the goodwill of another.
So a family member is going to have a harder time using their surname in competition with a family business than a stranger.  And, if Fletcherco is ever going to have hope to succeed in suing a stranger named Fletcher selling corn dogs, they have to start with family.

I was drunk. Sue me.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Uptown Dallas sports bar and staple Christies Sports Bar & Grill is closing its doors due to COVID-19, the sports bar said on Facebook Wednesday morning.

In the Facebook post, the sports bar wrote: "After 29 great years. We will not be reopening due to COVID-19 and lack of cooperation from our landlord. We love you Dallas. Stay tuned."

Located at 2811 McKinney Avenue, the sports bar had been serving Uptown Dallas for 29 years but closed on March 16 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Mi Camino on NW Highway/Marsh (Lemmon) is done. Too bad because it was pretty good Tex-Mex and they made mean margaritas. They've even been letting us set up shop under a tree in the parking lot by the stream coming off Bachman Lake. Owner is nice as hell but the bar has not been socially-distanced very well. Hoping this is a temporary shutdown but it doesn't sound like it.

23 hours ago, C-Man said:

Sounds like Mi Camino on NW Highway/Marsh (Lemmon) is done. Too bad because it was pretty good Tex-Mex and they made mean margaritas. They've even been letting us set up shop under a tree in the parking lot by the stream coming off Bachman Lake. Owner is nice as hell but the bar has not been socially-distanced very well. Hoping this is a temporary shutdown but it doesn't sound like it.

That’s no bueno.  Used to go there quite a bit when I lived right near there.

On 7/20/2020 at 1:22 AM, C-Man said:

Picked up Ken Rathbun bbq this afternoon. Half of a brisket, a jalapeño cheese sausage link, Mac and cheese and baked beans. They were down the street at Lovers Seafood. I put the brisket and sausage in 200-degree oven until dinner. Probably dried out a little bit but it was pretty, pretty good. The sausage was fantastic. Mac and cheese was very meh but the baked beans were fantastic.

50cc60bc9d9904209b1161a74cb23f03.jpg

b55d9ebcf4eefd0b3e2dbf55558515c9.jpg

we did Rathbun BBQ yesterday.  our first time.  we had the whole chicken and ribs yesterday with mac and cheese.  it was all really good.  we bought some pork loins that we'll eat tomorrow.  it's a nice, easy set up.

• Hook 'Em 1

We had a kid free day and did our first "dine-in" at Mi Cocina patio last weekend. It was great to be out and nobody was seated within 20 feet of us.  Felt completely safe.  What other good experiences has others had?  And trying to think of a place that has good oysters (west coast or north east) but also easily socially distanced for wife's b-day in a few weeks.  Boulevardier would typically be one of my go-to's but that place is pretty small.  And really would prefer a patio probably.  Any thoughts?

15 hours ago, Skipper said:

We had a kid free day and did our first "dine-in" at Mi Cocina patio last weekend. It was great to be out and nobody was seated within 20 feet of us.  Felt completely safe.  What other good experiences has others had?  And trying to think of a place that has good oysters (west coast or north east) but also easily socially distanced for wife's b-day in a few weeks.  Boulevardier would typically be one of my go-to's but that place is pretty small.  And really would prefer a patio probably.  Any thoughts?

We went to Boulvardier for brunch about a month ago with one of our good friends, who was the host at the party I most likely contracted COVID from (she got it too). So we both have antibodies. We sat inside and were far enough away from everybody else for the most part but the server coughed a couple of times under her mask, which was off-putting to say the least. Nobody got sick, though. And the oysters were great. That's the last in-restaurant experience we've had.

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

We went to Boulvardier for brunch about a month ago with one of our good friends, who was the host at the party I most likely contracted COVID from (she got it too). So we both have antibodies. We sat inside and were far enough away from everybody else for the most part but the server coughed a couple of times under her mask, which was off-putting to say the least. Nobody got sick, though. And the oysters were great. That's the last in-restaurant experience we've had.

I thought they’ve determined the antibodies don’t mean shit?  Like there’s been a ton of people who’ve had it twice?

27 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I thought they’ve determined the antibodies don’t mean shit?  Like there’s been a ton of people who’ve had it twice?

I don't think they've determined that. I think they're saying it appears you lose the antibodies quicker than they would've anticipated but they think you've got immunity for several months (if not longer) once you've had it. I donated plasma last week and was hoping to get a new antibody test but Carter doesn't do that.

16 hours ago, Skipper said:

Paradiso, just down the way in Bishop Arts from Boulevardiere, has raw oysters and patio seating.  Pre-pandemic, I ate there a couple of times and enjoyed it.  Very stylish place, perfect for a birthday.   The outside seating is under the shade of a big oak in a pretty patio.   I never had the oysters there (I think they are new to the menu) but I have seen other people post about them and they look good (although in no way will they be as good as Boulevardier, which has the best in town, but is completely closed right now).  The one dish at at Paradiso that I don't recommend is the steak frites, mostly because it is so perfect at Boulevardier, but also the frites are heavily seasoned, soggy fries, akin to the garlic fries you get at a concession stand in California.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

Paradiso, just down the way in Bishop Arts from Boulevardiere, has raw oysters and patio seating.  Pre-pandemic, I ate there a couple of times and enjoyed it.  Very stylish place, perfect for a birthday.   The outside seating is under the shade of a big oak in a pretty patio.   I never had the oysters there (I think they are new to the menu) but I have seen other people post about them and they look good (although in no way will they be as good as Boulevardier, which has the best in town, but is completely closed right now).  The one dish at at Paradiso that I don't recommend is the steak frites, mostly because it is so perfect at Boulevardier, but also the frites are heavily seasoned, soggy fries, akin to the garlic fries you get at a concession stand in California.

Boulevardier closed again?

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Boulevardier closed again?

Yeah.  It stayed open for just a couple of weeks -- just long enough for us to get a couple of takeout burgers.   When COVID went south again, Brooks shut it down (all the restaurants, I think) and is focusing on Veritas right now.  We are getting some good wine delivered from there, along with some meat.  This week we getting some yellowtail collars he imported from Japan and grill them over smoke.  The fish will be delivered with our wine.   His description:

Premium Crown Toro HAMACHI KAMA processed in Uwijima, Japan using ikejime. This technique prevents lactic acid buildup in the flesh of the fish when processed, resulting in the highest quality of fish possible. These yellowtail collars are the fattiest, juiciest part of the fish (same applies for the collar of any fish, but yellowtail, salmon, and tuna collars are especially delicious), and are simply sublime when grilled over wood.Beginning on Tuesday, Veritas Wine Room will be selling these beauties in 2.2 pound packs for $40 ($18.18 per pound)!! It is hard for us to adequately express how good these are - we are simply not aware of a better piece of grilled fish than Hamachi Kama.
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

Yeah.  It stayed open for just a couple of weeks -- just long enough for us to get a couple of takeout burgers.   When COVID went south again, Brooks shut it down (all the restaurants, I think) and is focusing on Veritas right now.  We are getting some good wine delivered from there, along with some meat.  This week we getting some yellowtail collars he imported from Japan and grill them over smoke.  The fish will be delivered with our wine.   His description:

Premium Crown Toro HAMACHI KAMA processed in Uwijima, Japan using ikejime. This technique prevents lactic acid buildup in the flesh of the fish when processed, resulting in the highest quality of fish possible. These yellowtail collars are the fattiest, juiciest part of the fish (same applies for the collar of any fish, but yellowtail, salmon, and tuna collars are especially delicious), and are simply sublime when grilled over wood.Beginning on Tuesday, Veritas Wine Room will be selling these beauties in 2.2 pound packs for $40 ($18.18 per pound)!! It is hard for us to adequately express how good these are - we are simply not aware of a better piece of grilled fish than Hamachi Kama.

Damn, that sounds amazing!

1 hour ago, DFWTexEx said:

Thanks.  Yes, I've had drinks their pre-pandemic but haven't tired the food.  You are right it should be a good setup.

I don't think they've determined that. I think they're saying it appears you lose the antibodies quicker than they would've anticipated but they think you've got immunity for several months (if not longer) once you've had it. I donated plasma last week and was hoping to get a new antibody test but Carter doesn't do that.

Really? They did an antibody test for me last month (whole blood donation).

Odd that they wouldn’t test for plasma too.

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Really? They did an antibody test for me last month (whole blood donation).

Odd that they wouldn’t test for plasma too.

They don't test if you're donating for convalescent plasma, at least not at the point of donation. I assume the plasma is tested somewhere to make sure it has antibodies, otherwise what's the point of giving it to a Covid-19 patient. I know they can use it on other patients if there are no antibodies but I would be more apt to donate more often if my antibodies were being tested each to give me a sense of what I might be looking at immunity-wise.

37 minutes ago, C-Man said:

They don't test if you're donating for convalescent plasma, at least not at the point of donation. I assume the plasma is tested somewhere to make sure it has antibodies, otherwise what's the point of giving it to a Covid-19 patient. I know they can use it on other patients if there are no antibodies but I would be more apt to donate more often if my antibodies were being tested each to give me a sense of what I might be looking at immunity-wise.

Can you donate both whole blood and plasma at the same time?  If so that might be the way to go if you're wanting to check.  Also, if you have a Carter account set up (or if you simply retain your donor number) you can check back on the website to see what sort of test results they have on your donation.

11 hours ago, mdmost said:

The Fletcher's truck rolled into our local park today. Saw a photo of 30+ people standing in line in 100 degree heat index and full sun for over an hour to get a hot corny dog. Yeah, I'm good.

Probably plenty of fresh air around each of them to help keep them cool though, as I’m sure they were all standing in line at least 6 ft apart?  Although, maybe offset somewhat by the fact that it was probably a little hard to breathe, as I’m sure they were also all properly wearing masks the whole time?

Edited by Landomatic

On 8/4/2020 at 11:14 AM, C-Man said:

Recently had an 80 year old patient who presented twice in 3 months Covid positive with symptoms. Situation is fluid/piss.

20 hours ago, mdmost said:

The Fletcher's truck rolled into our local park today. Saw a photo of 30+ people standing in line in 100 degree heat index and full sun for over an hour to get a hot corny dog. Yeah, I'm good.

Fletcher's is at Lakewood Growler right now.  But I figure you already knew that.

I'm out.  100 degrees and a shit ton of people not socially distancing in line for a corny dog?  Nope.

On a related note, my buddy who runs the 6 ticket beer shed and the Beer Barn during the state fair said that they have a pop up planned with the Talley amusement folks (they have a bunch of the Midway rides as well as food tents at the fair).  They will be using the car wash next to Lakewood Landing and doing a drive through beer barn and take away fair food there coming up in September I think, for a week or two.  Will post more when I have more details.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/23/2020 at 10:01 AM, bigup2dahorns said:

Uptown Dallas sports bar and staple Christies Sports Bar & Grill is closing its doors due to COVID-19, the sports bar said on Facebook Wednesday morning.

In the Facebook post, the sports bar wrote: "After 29 great years. We will not be reopening due to COVID-19 and lack of cooperation from our landlord. We love you Dallas. Stay tuned."

Located at 2811 McKinney Avenue, the sports bar had been serving Uptown Dallas for 29 years but closed on March 16 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Damn.  That sucks.  That was the TX/OU spot for my group of friends in 2017 and 2018.  We had the back corner "room" reserved.  About 30 of us.  Went to Texas Live last year, and it was somewhat of a disaster.

I know some on here think it's bad BBQ but Peggy Sue in Snyder Plaza closed for good. Loved their onion rings, chopped brisket sandwich, and fried pies. 

It wasn’t elite BBQ but I liked it. The food got much better after the new owners brought in a pit guy from Pecan Lodge. Heard they were kind of assholes, though, transplants from the Northeast or something. Wonder what will go in that spot.

On 8/3/2020 at 7:02 PM, Skipper said:

We went to Chelsea Corner the other weekend and they have a really nice shaded patio setup with misters and what not. This was our first public eating venture and no one was close enough to make me worry. Probably 10' from the next closest table although I did see some that were slightly closer to each other but all were more than 6'. The food was on point and had some very good cocktails while there. Would recommend. 

Note: There's like 3 parking spots for the entire restaurant so keep that in mind if you go. We parked down the street next to the old condos and walked but it wasn't bad. 

2 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

We went to Chelsea Corner the other weekend and they have a really nice shaded patio setup with misters and what not. This was our first public eating venture and no one was close enough to make me worry. Probably 10' from the next closest table although I did see some that were slightly closer to each other but all were more than 6'. The food was on point and had some very good cocktails while there. Would recommend. 

Note: There's like 3 parking spots for the entire restaurant so keep that in mind if you go. We parked down the street next to the old condos and walked but it wasn't bad. 

You can park across the street at Henry's Majestic parking lot too.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Ah, I saw all the signs that they'll tow your shit if you're not going to one of those stores and didn't know Henry's was closed. I'll do that next time.

Not sure the arrangement -- and just saw that Henry's isn't open for the time being -- with the stores but the Henry's valet always let me leave my car with him.

• Like 1

The old San Francisco rose is finally getting repurposed into a Belgian beer/food joint opening soon. Seems odds would be stacked even in normal times, especially given that’s kinda no mans land on gville, minimal parking, and subpar outdoor on top of an unproven concept. I’ll hit em up at some point, hate all the for lease signs popping up already.

13 hours ago, bluto said:

The old San Francisco rose is finally getting repurposed into a Belgian beer/food joint opening soon. Seems odds would be stacked even in normal times, especially given that’s kinda no mans land on gville, minimal parking, and subpar outdoor on top of an unproven concept. I’ll hit em up at some point, hate all the for lease signs popping up already.

it's only a matter of time before a KFC with 'full release' wings is the only viable option there.

The 'Rose was a Tex Tech watch party bar, right?  or am i making stuff up.

I don't know. I'm pretty sure it was a gay bar outside of Wednesdays when SMU Pikes would take it over. I know they had karaoke.

Lived in the townhomes behind SFR 10 yrs ago, swear it was karaoke every damn night. Couldn’t just be a cool chill bar to belly up to in my backyard, had to be a damn carry-okie bar.