Live concerts and festivals may not come back until late-2021

Goredho

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/live-concerts-and-festivals-may-not-come-back-until-fall-2021

Concerts and events, including the 2020 Summer NAMM convention, have been canceled left and right due to the coronavirus, and it appears they may be gone for the foreseeable future.

In a recent interview with the New York Times, bioethicist Zeke Emanuel stated that he doesn’t believe it will be safe to convene in large numbers in public for another 18 months.

“Larger gatherings – conferences, concerts, sporting events – when people say they’re going to reschedule this conference or graduation event for October 2020, I have no idea how they think that’s a plausible possibility,” said Emanuel, a vice provost for global initiatives and director of the Healthcare Transformation Institute at the University of Pennsylvania. “I think those things will be the last to return.

“Realistically we’re talking fall 2021 at the earliest.”

According to Anne Case, an emeritus professor of economics and public affairs at Princeton University, this “means there are all these service workers who are not going to find work in the sector they were working in. Losing that for 18 months, that’s enormous.

“Eventually, when the time comes for people to go back to work, I worry that some large fraction of working-class people won’t have work to go back to.”

Music industry workers like Frank Fanelli, former singer of The World We Knew and owner of CAT Clothing, are already trying to raise raising money for those in the touring industry who are out of work due to the pandemic – in Fanelli's case, by selling specially designed t-shirts.

Companies like Ernie Ball and D’Addario, meanwhile, have repurposed their factories to manufacture face-masks and face-shields.

I have a friend who helps manage a theater downtown.  He's the sole breadwinner for his fam.  He has a wife and two kids.  I don't think he's in a good place right now.  I can only imagine how this is going to ripple across the music industry.   My favorite breakfast joint is closed until further notice.  It kept artists and musicians employed so they could go do their thing.  I assume all those folks are fucked now.  This corona is a tsunami of medical and economic shit.  

• Like 1

I have a friend who helps manage a theater downtown.  He's the sole breadwinner for his fam.  He has a wife and two kids.  I don't think he's in a good place right now.  I can only imagine how this is going to ripple across the music industry.   My favorite breakfast joint is closed until further notice.  It kept artists and musicians employed so they could go do their thing.  I assume all those folks are fucked now.  This corona is a tsunami of medical and economic shit.  

Entertainment industry is so fucked. Completely bummed for the people involved.

Several of the Philly small venues have been emailing with new dates for various tours starting this summer. I guess unlike sports leagues, there's not much PR downside if you release a schedule and end up having to cancel it again. Not sure if the venues are trying desperately to scrounge up some advance ticket sales or what. I can't see many people grabbing up tix for The Frights on July 19 right now

I went and bought T-shirt’s online to try to support a few venues the other day. Continental Club, Saxon Pub, Bluebird in Nashville. But then a drew a blank on others.

What places do you guys suggest that we should buy shirts from?

• Like 3

i bought a shirt from the electric church and barracuda. 

received a cancellation email this week for the growlers at stubbs on june 5th. not sure how any venue is going to make it through this, i can't imagine any concerts happening until fall. 

I looked up the local venues that I tend to go to shows, and if they have an employee fund then I have donated. Hopefully some of them got in on the small business relief last week, or at least can grab a low-interest loan later this year. It will be a tough year but at least they have a proven business model that will certainly be viable again when the time is right.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I went and bought T-shirt’s online to try to support a few venues the other day. Continental Club, Saxon Pub, Bluebird in Nashville. But then a drew a blank on others.

Received an e-mail this morning marketing Ryan Bingham's t-shirts.  Feed the hungry kids, or some such thing.  Started watching his cantina shows, I'm sure I'll end up with one or two of the shirts.

On 4/17/2020 at 9:53 AM, tbone_ said:

I just hit the same ones you posted. But, If you see any others I will gladly participate. 

On 4/17/2020 at 10:28 AM, Bartles said:

I looked up the local venues that I tend to go to shows, and if they have an employee fund then I have donated. Hopefully some of them got in on the small business relief last week, or at least can grab a low-interest loan later this year. It will be a tough year but at least they have a proven business model that will certainly be viable again when the time is right.

Yep.  Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa started a GoFundMe for employees... I donated yesterday. Their goal was $15k and they are already well over $16k. 

Maybe I’m just being a pussy but it kind of bums me out to watch these now, since it appears we have no shot in fucking forever to get it going again.

I watched the new Woodstock documentary on Netflix the other night. Fantastic. But also sad.

I’ll call the waaaaaambulance now.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Maybe I’m just being a pussy but it kind of bums me out to watch these now, since it appears we have no shot in fucking forever to get it going again.

I watched the new Woodstock documentary on Netflix the other night. Fantastic. But also sad.

I’ll call the waaaaaambulance now.

There was way more dangerous shit than covid19 floating around at Woodstock 

I wonder if the Kingdom of Saud plans to bring the back sooner, they seem to know something the U.S. doesn't.  Or Live Nation knows something, or knows nothing. 

Somebody knows something, everybody knows nothing.

Mildly interesting in the context of this thread: drive-in concerts.

Concerts, live events, and any other type of mass gathering are on complete hiatus for the foreseeable future due to COVID-19 here in North America. Over in Scandinavia, however, where some national governments are handling the global pandemic slightly different than others, the coastal city of Aarhus in Denmark has found a loophole in ban on live entertainment: They’ve successfully launched a new concert series where fans drive up to the venue and remain safely isolated in their automobiles similar to the experience of a drive-in movie.

More in the link.

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/european-cities-drive-in-concert-series-video/

34 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Mildly interesting in the context of this thread: drive-in concerts.

Concerts, live events, and any other type of mass gathering are on complete hiatus for the foreseeable future due to COVID-19 here in North America. Over in Scandinavia, however, where some national governments are handling the global pandemic slightly different than others, the coastal city of Aarhus in Denmark has found a loophole in ban on live entertainment: They’ve successfully launched a new concert series where fans drive up to the venue and remain safely isolated in their automobiles similar to the experience of a drive-in movie.

More in the link.

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/european-cities-drive-in-concert-series-video/

Århus is a big college town.

I spent one night there 23 years ago, but had to head out the next morning, because I couldn't get money out of the ATMs and it was the weekend. (Went to Copenhagen and found an AMEX friendly ATM.)

I could see the music scene being pretty important there.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

When they're done borrowing against it, they'll refund just enough so they can still pay their coupon clip back.  Pretty wise move actually and they're totally fucking over their venue partners who just like movie theaters don't even break even on "the show", they just want something fun up there so they can charge for F&B.

Guest Lobo

Fine, then I get Disinfectant Urinals and Bagged Fog.  

Of course Arkansas, the live music capital of mistakes, is gonna launch the first live music show. 

Live Nation has resigned that there ain't gonna be nothing until Winter for tours or festivals.  Obviously, some pop up show here and there will occur at your local watering hole.

Keep an eye out on Nerve for a cool festival archive deployment with artists putting out new material after you watch a previous festival set curated by them.  

Guest Lobo

The weird thing is none of the big promoters have tried to borrowed against that "pseudo-escrowed" ticket cash.  You'd think they would have by now.  If I have $10mm in accrued ticket money that I'm willing to honor six months from now, you'd think I could leverage that. 

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

That fucking sucks. 

Robert Earl playing Gruene Hall this weekend. 

How is that gonna work?  

FYI, DSO offered to (a) give the cash back; (b) donate it to them; (c) use it for credit when they reschedule.  I'm going for option 3. 

Haven't heard anything re the Stones shows cash.