Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Lunardi has Texas as a 3 seed in his latest bracketology. Projecting the tournament field right now is dumb, but it shows that the national expectations on Texas will be high.

8d0ea1b0cf2640d623c5f5b9b4a288eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot resist.  You mean top 3 in the state?  Top 3 in the conference?  I don't even think we're in the top 3 in the state, conference, anything!!!

Maybe top 3 in Austin TX?  Let's see there is St. Edwards, Concordia, ACC, yep, I think we're top 3 in Austin.    

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

that said, without a completely new offense our chances of earning a 3 seed are nonexistent.

We don't even have a defensive assistant yet.  

Well, I'll be dipped in shit. Someone is projecting Texas as a #3 seed next season? He must be completely oblivious to Shaka's tenure coaching at Texas. The Big 12 is going to be rugged next season, KU and Baylor are Top 5 material, Tech, Texas and WVU will all be ranked and Oklahoma State has an impressive recruiting haul incoming.

6 minutes ago, Chad said:

Well, I'll be dipped in shit. Someone is projecting Texas as a #3 seed next season? He must be completely oblivious to Shaka's tenure coaching at Texas. The Big 12 is going to be rugged next season, KU and Baylor are Top 5 material, Tech, Texas and WVU will all be ranked and Oklahoma State has an impressive recruiting haul incoming.

plus we're going to play our toughest ever non-con schedule under Shaka, so we won't be rolling into Big XII play at 12-1 or anything like that. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 1:34 PM, Goo Punch said:

Lunardi has Texas as a 3 seed in his latest bracketology. Projecting the tournament field right now is dumb, but it shows that the national expectations on Texas will be high.

8d0ea1b0cf2640d623c5f5b9b4a288eb.jpg

Shut your whore mouth up. 

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

plus we're going to play our toughest ever non-con schedule under Shaka, so we won't be rolling into Big XII play at 12-1 or anything like that. 

I'm curious how many of those games will still happen. 

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

I haven't seen the slate for next season, isn't Gonzaga on there? They're likely to open as #1 next season.

On 5/27/2020 at 2:43 AM, LTtxfan said:

Texas #17

as the article states, the loss of Moretti( and Ramsey) matters.  It ain't like the cupboard is bare in LBK though.

I know it's one spot in a preseason ranking, but I can't see anything in the past 3-4 years that would lead me to believe Texas will finish ahead of Tech in the upcoming season.  If you changed rosters, I'd still go with Tech.

16 hours ago, Iceman said:

as the article states, the loss of Moretti( and Ramsey) matters.  It ain't like the cupboard is bare in LBK though.

I know it's one spot in a preseason ranking, but I can't see anything in the past 3-4 years that would lead me to believe Texas will finish ahead of Tech in the upcoming season.  If you changed rosters, I'd still go with Tech.

You seem like a totally neutral source on this though. 

On 6/3/2020 at 3:05 PM, orangecat92 said:

Maybe top 3 in Austin TX?  Let's see there is St. Edwards, Concordia, ACC, yep, I think we're top 3 in Austin.    

I don't know. Westlake has been churning out some nasty teams. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Lobo

Remember when we used to play LSU or Michigan State in Houston?  Now we get to play Louisiana Tech, woo-hoo!  

I see we've got the SEC challenge, and the Maui invitational which has a ridiculous field next year...but as usual our home schedule is for shit, Gonzaga notwithstanding.

Shaka is still the coach, so I see 9-4 on that slate at best.  

Cool news is Stetson University is on our schedule again, where I attended college in the mid-90's. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Remember when we used to play LSU or Michigan State in Houston?  Now we get to play Louisiana Tech, woo-hoo!  

I see we've got the SEC challenge, and the Maui invitational which has a ridiculous field next year...but as usual our home schedule is for shit, Gonzaga notwithstanding.

Shaka is still the coach, so I see 9-4 on that slate at best.  

Cool news is Stetson University is on our schedule again, where I attended college in the mid-90's. 

We have Villanova at home as well.

Guest Lobo

Oh shit?  That's good news.  I saw the logo that just said Big 12/Big East challenge.  Okay, well that helps a lot, not that basketball with crowds is gonna happen.  But that's a huge step up for our home slate.  As I said, the overall OOC SOS is gonna be really high with a Villanova, Gonzaga, the 3 games in Maui, and most SEC teams would help even in their down cycle.  Anyway, who knows...gonna be tough to play this whole schedule this year anyway but even with a deep and talented team, we're still gonna have to sweat out 18+ wins 'cause Texas.  

Guest Lobo

Why we could have the best team of Shaka's tenure?  Because statistically speaking, we are bound to win more than 17 games.  Is that the reasON?  

51 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Why we could have the best team of Shaka's tenure?  Because statistically speaking, we are bound to win more than 17 games.  Is that the reasON?  

Talent + experience is the reason. I don't know exactly where I saw it, but there's some sort of talent vs experience matrix floating around the interwebs and the upcoming year's Texas team compares favorably with past NCAA champions. Of course we have other factors that make all of us doubt those prospects, but the mix of talent and experience are what the heightened expectations are based off of. 

On 6/3/2020 at 3:05 PM, orangecat92 said:

I cannot resist.  You mean top 3 in the state?  Top 3 in the conference?  I don't even think we're in the top 3 in the state, conference, anything!!!

Top 3 in overpaid coaching.

26 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

it will be really funny when the schedule is badly truncated by COVID, the 2021 NCAAs are cancelled, Shaka goes 12-6, Greg Brown goes pro, and we start all this whinging over again in the fall of 21

Yes. 

22 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

it will be really funny when the schedule is badly truncated by COVID, the 2021 NCAAs are cancelled, Shaka goes 12-6, Greg Brown goes pro, and we start all this whinging over again in the fall of 21

Funny how? Funny like a clown? What's funny about it? You said it will be really funny. How the fuck is it funny? What the fuck is so funny about it? Tell me, tell me what's funny.

(sidenote: funny is a weird word)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/15/2020 at 9:29 AM, Herpa Derpa said:

Funny how? Funny like a clown? What's funny about it? You said it will be really funny. How the fuck is it funny? What the fuck is so funny about it? Tell me, tell me what's funny.

(sidenote: funny is a weird word)

Gallows humor is still humor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Hmmm

Kentucky has no assistant coaching spots open (the staff listing doesn't show them hiring Flint yet) so he'd be taking a demotion - like to be the recruiting coordinator - to go there. I'm not sure why that would be a good move for Jai if he has designs on being a head coach someday. Why take a paycut and demotion when a similar gig is likely to be available a year from now?

Edited by Bitterwhiteguy

9 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Kentucky has no assistant coaching spots open (the staff listing doesn't show them hiring Flint yet) so he'd be taking a demotion - like to be the recruiting coordinator - to go there. I'm not sure why that would be a good move for Jai if he has designs on being a head coach someday. Why take a paycut and demotion when a similar gig is likely to be available a year from now?

Sounds like the job title is “Special Assistant to the HC” from what others on the UK boards are saying. 

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Sounds like the job title is “Special Assistant to the HC” from what others on the UK boards are saying. 

If he wants to take an off-court role for whatever reason (tired of recruiting, doesn't want to be a HC, etc.) then the move makes sense because a DBO-type gig at Kentucky probably pays better than almost any other school, and barring something major Calipari isn't going anywhere any time soon so there's stability. Maybe BBN just fired a money cannon into his house in exchange for him putting his coaching aspirations on hold for a few years, if so then go get that paper. But if he wants to be a HC in the next 3-4 years then this is a bad move; not only is he phasing himself out of the recruiting game since only ACs can go on the road, but he's taking himself out of a spot where it's pretty easy to land a mid-major HC gig in the next couple of years.

Good luck to Jai with whatever he decides, it's just a significant change of direction for a guy who always seemed interested in making his way to the head gig.

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

But ... why?  I mean from Calipari's side.  Kentucky already gets guys like the Harrison twins, De'Aaron Fox, Tyrese Maxey , PJ Washington, Jarred Vanderbilt and Julius Randle out of Texas.  If Jai Lucas were truly worthy of an off-court bagman job at Kentucky, more of those dudes would have stayed home for college at UT.   Shaka recruits well, but (a) we don't clean up in Houston, at all, even though that's where the Lucas clan is supposed to have so much (alleged) influence, and (b) we actually used to get more of the Kentucky level recruits back when Barnes was at his peak before Lucas ever joined the staff here.

Whatever.  To the extent this takes our recruiting down a notch, though, that's not good news for Shaka in a year when we're going to sign 6 guys and probably looking at a rough 2021-2022 season unless he hits it big with some freshmen.

I doubt he'll sign 6 freshmen in the coming class.  If Collins sticks with his supposed silent commitment now that Jai is leaving we'll probably pickup 4 freshmen and 2 transfers.