Astros 2020-21 offseason- can't be any worse than last year, right? RIGHT?

Wulaw Horn

2 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

We will be there. Friend of ours who has been working with lilshep coaches at rice. Played against UT in 2018 during regionals

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If lilshep has half the talent as he has love for the game, he’ll be a superstar. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, APMP said:

Things too damn quiet on the Stros front.

Off season is over. Rolling with Straw at CF unless Souza is great in the spring. 
Rotation is Framber, Greinke, LMJ, Uriquidy and Javier 

Bullpen should be pretty well set with Smith coming back and the 2 new additions. 
Keeping their powder dry/being cheap for the trade deadline/see how it goes. 

47 minutes ago, Scraps said:

CF is going to be a shitshow. Can't wait.

Was Bradley given the QO by the Red Sox, would make sense, besides his unrealistic salary expectations why the Astros don't want him, but I'd take a one year pillow deal on Pillar. He made $4.25M last year. Coming into his age 32 season probably not going to get much more than he got last year despite coming off a career season for him.

Again, all the Straw 2021 projections on FG forecast an OBP in the .320s (he's at .327 for his career in about 100 games). If he does that, with very good defense in CF and value on the bases, he's not a disaster at the bottom of the order. 

ZIPS projects Straw for 1.3 WAR, Pillar for 0.7, Bradley for 1.5. He's not a great option, but there aren't great alternatives either. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

JuSt BeCaUsE hE iS fAsT dOeSnT mEaN hE iS gOoD dEfEnSiVeLy 

Did yall not watch the same games I watched last seaon when he played CF? He doesn't back up the other fielders correctly, he doesn't even look where he is throwing the ball half the time he just launches it toward the infield like a retarded drunk ass 26 yr old softball player out at the beer league.  My projections say that he will look beyond retarded multiple times in the first month playing CF.  

I am not worried about the offensive production, we aren't getting anything close to what we got with Springer obviously with any of the candidates.  

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Again, all the Straw 2021 projections on FG forecast an OBP in the .320s (he's at .327 for his career in about 100 games). If he does that, with very good defense in CF and value on the bases, he's not a disaster at the bottom of the order. 

ZIPS projects Straw for 1.3 WAR, Pillar for 0.7, Bradley for 1.5. He's not a great option, but there aren't great alternatives either. 

Zips projection is almost entirely based on his defense, which they think is going to be very good. Last year it was below average. Because a guy with a projected 77 wRC+ isn't putting up 1.3 WAR on offense.

I'm actual bullish on his OBP, as he always had a 10%+ BB rate in the minors, so I think last year's 4.8% is likely a Covid SSS issue. Ideally he's a 4/5 OF, with the flexibility to play SS in a pinch.

They tried this experiment with Marisnick too, and it went horribly wrong.

14 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Did yall not watch the same games I watched last seaon when he played CF? He doesn't back up the other fielders correctly, he doesn't even look where he is throwing the ball half the time he just launches it toward the infield like a retarded drunk ass 26 yr old softball player out at the beer league.  My projections say that he will look beyond retarded multiple times in the first month playing CF.  

I am not worried about the offensive production, we aren't getting anything close to what we got with Springer obviously with any of the candidates.  

I haven't seen him much in CF and am basing my thoughts on his defensive metrics and projections - both FG and B-R have him as good in 2019 but not good in 2020 (albeit in a really small sample in each season). So yeah, if he is not good defensively, the projections aren't picking up on that (and defensive metrics certainly aren't perfect), and any value he'd bring would be negated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

he was clueless out there. he better be shagging 1000+ fly balls a day from now until opening day 

22 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Signed Steve Cishek to a minor league deal and ST invite. Dude has been a solid reliever for most of his career, but stunk it up big time last year.

Worth seeing if he's got some innings left in the tank. Strom him up!

It can't be blamed on a couple of bad performances or his HR spike. All 4 HRs were solo shots, and the only runs he gave up in that inning, and only had 1 appearance where he gave up more than 1 run. He was just bad last year. Looks like his control is becoming an issue

The funny thing is (and I'm guilty of this as anyone on earth) is that we think that we can judge good OF play by our eyes and we just can't.  It is so much about positioning, instinct and jump.  What one guy makes hard a better OF might be camped under to make an easy out.  Or a ball that's nowhere near being caught maybe should be an out.  You really do need the computer I think to tell you what's going on out there- especially if you are watching the game on TV where it's so ball centric.  

Throwing to the wrong bases and shit like that's pretty obvious, of course, but I'm not sure that this is something that can be judged without the statcast type shit.  

10 hours ago, Scraps said:

I’m having heart palpitations just thinking about that game in Arizona last year (when Calhoun had the inside the parker and LMJ imploded in large part due to straw’s dumbassery)

GD I’m still ragey about that game 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The funny thing is (and I'm guilty of this as anyone on earth) is that we think that we can judge good OF play by our eyes and we just can't.  It is so much about positioning, instinct and jump.  What one guy makes hard a better OF might be camped under to make an easy out.  Or a ball that's nowhere near being caught maybe should be an out.  You really do need the computer I think to tell you what's going on out there- especially if you are watching the game on TV where it's so ball centric.  

Throwing to the wrong bases and shit like that's pretty obvious, of course, but I'm not sure that this is something that can be judged without the statcast type shit.  

Gonna have to disagree with this.  When someone sucks at judging fly balls, it's rather obvious.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Gonna have to disagree with this.  When someone sucks at judging fly balls, it's rather obvious.

You can’t tell what kind of break or jump they got at all on tv which is the most important thing. Guys typically aren’t going to be running to the wrong spot. That’s basic competence. 

On 2/8/2021 at 5:12 PM, tx 3 putt said:

the home plate bar / building was being demo'd today 

Them and HTX/Tavern were probably headed out of business with over a year of no revenue, but with a retail development a few years away I'm guessing there are no pre game close bars now?  Get fancy pre game at Osso & Kristalla or Vic & Anthonys or start on the other side of 59 at Little Woodrows (only thing left on that block)?  What about that 1820 lounge?  Don't think I've ever been there

1 hour ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Them and HTX/Tavern were probably headed out of business with over a year of no revenue, but with a retail development a few years away I'm guessing there are no pre game close bars now?  Get fancy pre game at Osso & Kristalla or Vic & Anthonys or start on the other side of 59 at Little Woodrows (only thing left on that block)?  What about that 1820 lounge?  Don't think I've ever been there

I have been to 1820.  They actually have some group that attends games like Tuesday night home games or something I think that pregames there beforehand.  That place isn't anything special though.  I have mostly been there for when they open the arcade portion of the building up "Joysticks" on the first and last weekends of the month where you pay flat fee then get to play all the old school games as much as you want.  

My spot when I do want to pregame is typically just been 8th wonder, walk isn't too bad unless it is 100 degrees outside, so it is worth a $5 uber ride typically.

But yes, overall the bar scene blows ass around the stadium area. 

On 2/8/2021 at 5:12 PM, tx 3 putt said:

the home plate bar / building was being demo'd today 

Saw today that they're moving that old historic house, and that whole block there in front of the stadium fronting Texas street will eventually be another residential tower with street-level retail, later this decade. In the meantime, will be used for parking.

2 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

What about that 1820 lounge?  Don't think I've ever been there

It’s ok. The arcade is fun when it’s open. 

all pregaming will be EADO. I still love the vic and Anthony’s bar. Potente is a great bar too 

Edited by tx 3 putt

The Houston Astros purchased the 1.738 acres where it and a historic locomotive sits through an affiliate for $17 million in 2019 and broke ground this week on what will eventually become a retail and residential development. Meantime, the storied home and train will be relocated; an excavator dismantled the small retail strip where HTX Fan Tavern and Home Plate Bar & Grill once stood Tuesday afternoon. The plan short term is to use the land as a parking lot, said Anita Sehgal, Astros senior vice president of marketing and communications.

The Houston Astros purchased the 1.738 acres where it and a historic locomotive sits through an affiliate for $17 million in 2019 and broke ground this week on what will eventually become a retail and residential development. Meantime, the storied home and train will be relocated; an excavator dismantled the small retail strip where HTX Fan Tavern and Home Plate Bar & Grill once stood Tuesday afternoon. The plan short term is to use the land as a parking lot, said Anita Sehgal, Astros senior vice president of marketing and communications.

If Myles sucks shit through a Straw in center defensively we are fucked. Team ERA will jump a quarter run. It has ever been thus  with a shitty CF in the vastitude of MMP's huge center field expanse, and it's magnified when/if you have statues in LF and RF. It shows up in the pitching stats, not fielding, necessarily. 

• Hook 'Em 1