NY Times got tape of NFL owner-player anthem meeting

runthebone

Just now, GabrielsHorn said:

You really just want to be a dick, don't you? You're right - as a protest, it failed. The root of the issue, police brutality, was never addressed and instead it's a focus on patriotism/nationalism. The NFL tried to act and give $89m to funds that combat police brutality (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21621783/malcolm-jenkins-philadelphia-eagles-protest-nfl-89m-pledge) and some of the players rejected that (ex: Eric Reid). 

Meanwhile, in the NBA where there's a rule against kneeling during the anthem:

Instead, the NBA actually address it by focusing directly on the issues itself (Ex: Stephon Clark shirts https://www.voanews.com/a/basketball-league-protesting-shooting-of-unarmed-black-man/4316183.html Ex2: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/12010612/nba-stars-making-statement-wearing-breathe-shirts).

It's a compromise that they aren't directly fining the players. Meanwhile, the original message has been so distorted that people aren't talking about accountability and justice for the Daniel Shavers of the world but instead are talking about Kapernick getting on a team. 

Did it really, though?

Just this week, Milwaukee PD frantically apologized before footage of their police officers tasing Sterling Brown got released.  And they didn't even kill him!

It seems silly, but "people really aren't going to like how we treated this black dude, we need to get in front of this" is not what we are used to seeing from police departments.  Baby steps, sure, but still seems like a noticeable change to me.

You have to separate out which movements are working and which aren't. Kneeling during the anthem has become a referendum on nationalism/patriotism instead of police brutality, whereas certain groups that advocate for criminal justice reform, such as BLM, have worked as they have pushed for much more police accountability which is a great thing. 

Edited by GabrielsHorn

1 minute ago, GabrielsHorn said:

You have to separate out which movements are working and which aren't. Kneeling during the anthem has become a referendum on nationalism/patriotism instead of police brutality, whereas certain groups that advocate for criminal justice reform, such as BLM, have worked as they have pushed for much more police accountability which is a great thing. 

So the players should stop their protest because outside, opposing forces have attempted to re-frame their intentions?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slorch said:

If you’re on the field, the expectation is to stand.  It says so in the League’s release of their resolution.

I say again, NOBODY should be made to stand for the anthem.  That’s the freedom and liberty the freaking song represents.

I am NOT saying fans should not be able to make their own judgments and financial decisions because of the choice a player makes.  I am disagreeing with the threat of sanctions from the League.

They are free to sit, kneel or lay down to their hearts desire in the locker room. It’s their company policy and they aren’t  being forced to play football. He is free to wrap his car for a cause and use a bull horn in the parking lot after the game. They make no comment either way. Their employers simply ask that you stand for the anthem if you decide to be on the field at that time out of respect to your employer. Agree or disagree, they have a right as a business to do so, just as the football player has a right to choose to not participate in the anthem. 

They can then seek out the media after the game to discuss why they didn’t come out for the anthem and what that means. It’s a logical sane solution that works. 

• Like 2

It's all in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think that the NBA players have done a better job at framing the conversation and protest without kneeling, whereas the NFL players protest has turned into a mess.

Anyways, my entire point is that it is a compromise in a messy situation. The NFL isn't directly fining the players and is donating a significant amount of money to criminal justice reform and programs that The Players Coalition recommended (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000933742/article/nfl-players-coalition-finalize-social-justice-partnership). Meanwhile, the NFL is doing something for those that believe the anthem and flag shouldn't be protested.

6 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

They are free to sit, kneel or lay down to their hearts desire in the locker room. It’s their company policy and they aren’t  being forced to play football. He is free to wrap his car for a cause and use a bull horn in the parking lot after the game. They make no comment either way. Their employers simply ask that you stand for the anthem if you decide to be on the field at that time out of respect to your employer. Agree or disagree, they have a right as a business to do so, just as the football player has a right to choose to not participate in the anthem. 

They can then seek out the media after the game to discuss why they didn’t come out for the anthem and what that means. It’s a logical sane solution that works. 

And the players have a right to ignore their employer's policies if they choose and face the consequences.

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 1

Exactly. The NFL should just leave them all in the locker room or not televise the anthem but the military will be pissed. The right wing nuts will be pissed. The protestors will be pissed. The media will be pissed etc etc etc. 

The NFL should stay out of politics and leave that to the individual players and their own chosen causes. Players can and should use the platform game gives them to whatever ends they desire, and the NFL has the right to protect their business from the firestorm of in game political protests. 

The players damage the very product that gives their voice any weight. 

I think we're giving the NBA too much love. Right now, this entire movement is being carried by NFL players without guaranteed contracts, whereas the NBA players are doing nothing but playing basketball. Soft players, soft league.

1) The NBA shoved the anthem policy up the players' ass in '96. They suspended Muslim Chris Jackson, fined him 32k and let everybody know what the fuck was what moving forward. Not a single player did shit.

2) After the Malice in the Palace, they shoved the dress code up the players' ass and told Allen Iverson to take the prison look back to the hood. Not a single player did shit.

3) When asked about why his players didn't engage in active protesting in Sacramento before a game, here is what Coach SJW says, "You’re serious?” Kerr replied, incredulously, before elaborating in a calm voice. “It’s up to each individual, if he is going to pick his spots to make his contribution to society. I’m very confident and comfortable in my own skin and our players’ lives, what they do for our communities, the way they speak out, the way I speak out. I feel very, very comfortable in what we’ve tried to do. And I’m also very, very serious about my job. I’m coaching the Warriors tonight and we’re kind of busy today.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/article207606104.html

Apparently, the Warriors are all talk and NO walk.

4) The reason that the NBA is able to hold hands right now is because they haven't gone through an active CBA negotiation with the current commissioner. The Angel of Stern handled the last one, so Adam Silver comes in with no blood on his hands. That will change in the future, especially once the players see the full accounting for how they've been hosed on foreign TV rights money.

Soft players, soft league.

• Like 1

I like the anthem before sporting events.  Always have.

I like the Cotton-Eyed Joe at the seventh inning stretch for MLB games in Texas.

Don’t have to have it, but watch what happens if they stop doing it.  People would be generally pissed at either song being eliminated.

17 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

How many people here with jobs are allowed to pontificate about politics with customers?  I am a lawyer.  I have partners.  There is no way any of us would preach politics to our clients.  Period.  And we certainly wouldn't let our employees preach their political views to our clients.

What freaking world do you people live in?

The NFL's major mistake was not cutting this bullshit off as soon as it happened.  Like the NBA did with Chris Jackson.

Someone talking sense here. 

• Like 1

While the Chris Jackson situation is similar at a very shallow level.  Chris Jackson's actions were based on his Muslim faith and very few other NBA players could relate.  Even other Muslims NBA players didn't back his decision, or at least not publicly.  

The NFL issue today is that 70% of the league is black and the protest is about the police treatment of african americans.  I would guess that many of the players have experienced the problem or at least know people that have.   That is what they're protesting.  They're not protesting against America or the military.  

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

While the Chris Jackson situation is similar at a very shallow level.  Chris Jackson's actions were based on his Muslim faith and very few other NBA players could relate.  Even other Muslims NBA players didn't back his decision, or at least not publicly.  

The NFL issue today is that 70% of the league is black and the protest is about the police treatment of african americans.  I would guess that many of the players have experienced the problem or at least know people that have.   That is what they're protesting.  They're not protesting against America or the military.  

Then why hasn't a single player - NFL or NBA - been seen protesting in Sacramento for Stephon Clark? What about Sterling Brown in Milwaukee, a NBA player, how come not a single player has protested outside that police station? Not a single knee for Sterling Brown last night, will they have one tonight or nah?

The NBA is all fucking talk and because the national sports media hates the NFL (and Roger Goodell is, admittedly, easy to hate), they are taking shots at the NFL while giving the NBA a pass. Who gives a shit if they are wearing shirts? The NFL has no guaranteed contracts but has taken the lead on this stupid issue whereas the NBA, with huge guaranteed deals, is doing what they always do...sell shoes.

Soft players, soft league.

1 hour ago, GabrielsHorn said:

You really just want to be a dick, don't you? You're right - as a protest, it failed. The root of the issue, police brutality, was never addressed and instead it's a focus on patriotism/nationalism. The NFL tried to act and give $89m to funds that combat police brutality (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21621783/malcolm-jenkins-philadelphia-eagles-protest-nfl-89m-pledge) and some of the players rejected that (ex: Eric Reid). 

Meanwhile, in the NBA where there's a rule against kneeling during the anthem:

Instead, the NBA actually address it by focusing directly on the issues itself (Ex: Stephon Clark shirts https://www.voanews.com/a/basketball-league-protesting-shooting-of-unarmed-black-man/4316183.html Ex2: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/12010612/nba-stars-making-statement-wearing-breathe-shirts).

It's a compromise that they aren't directly fining the players. Meanwhile, the original message has been so distorted that people aren't talking about accountability and justice for those who have been killed but instead are talking about Kapernick getting on a team. 

1 hour ago, GabrielsHorn said:

It's all in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think that the NBA players have done a better job at framing the conversation and protest without kneeling, whereas the NFL players protest has turned into a mess.

Anyways, my entire point is that it is a compromise in a messy situation. The NFL isn't directly fining the players and is donating a significant amount of money to criminal justice reform and programs that The Players Coalition recommended (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000933742/article/nfl-players-coalition-finalize-social-justice-partnership). Meanwhile, the NFL is doing something for those that believe the anthem and flag shouldn't be protested.

You're talking about two different things.  Personally, I think that form of protest wasn't smart because they should have foreseen that the conversation would be turned against them as "disrespecting 'murica."  There were probably better ways to use the platform.  But the NFL's response is absurd.  It's throwing gasoline on the fire.  At the end of the day, there is not a single thing wrong with kneeling for the national anthem.  It's only an issue for people who are angry at the message.

18 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

How many people here with jobs are allowed to pontificate about politics with customers?  I am a lawyer.  I have partners.  There is no way any of us would preach politics to our clients.  Period.  And we certainly wouldn't let our employees preach their political views to our clients.

The NFL's major mistake was not cutting this bullshit off as soon as it happened.  Like the NBA did with Chris Jackson.

Are you serious?  I'm a lawyer too.  There are people at my firm who preach regularly at churches and publish letters to the editor about political views.  Some speak regularly at the Federalist Society (a very conservative organization) about the Second Amendment and other conservative positions.  We have healthcare lawyers who write regularly supporting Obamacare and advocate publicly for single-payer healthcare.  We have several employment lawyers, one publishes client newsletters supportive of recent deregulation on unionization, the other publishes the opposite opinion.  One of our biggest rainmakers is a bigwig with the local democratic party and makes public appearances regularly about very charge issues (gun control, abortion, single-payer heathcare, etc.).  TThey all still make tons of money.  Their clients either agree with them or don't care.  Your comment seems out of sync with reality.  If anything, our profession seems to be one in which there is a lot of flexibility on "pontificating" political views either publicly or even directly with clients.  Many of the things I'm talking about take place at conferences full of clients or potential clients.

And on a broader spectrum of what jobs let you "pontificate" political views "to customers," do you even news, bro?  Hobby Lobby literally has a Supreme Court case named after them based on a politically charged issue.  The fact that they rely on customers didn't seem to stop them.  Cake shops and catering companies have started taking public positions on whether they would serve gay weddings.  Restaurants and retailers have started taking positions on open carry.  It's not uncommon, at all.  Your comment is really weird to me considering the current state of affairs.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

The difference in this case is the union. The NFL may have violated labor law.

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Exactly. The NFL should just leave them all in the locker room or not televise the anthem but the military will be pissed. The right wing nuts will be pissed. The protestors will be pissed. The media will be pissed etc etc etc. 

The NFL should stay out of politics and leave that to the individual players and their own chosen causes. Players can and should use the platform game gives them to whatever ends they desire, and the NFL has the right to protect their business from the firestorm of in game political protests. 

This is what drives me fucking crazy. During the regular season, the networks never showed the national anthem before games, unless it was just a quick shot of the field or a player or two, letting you know kickoff was imminent...Then this whole thing blew up and the fucking networks start hyping up the broadcast of the god damn anthem (Will they? Won't they?) more than the game itself.  To me it was a clear sign that the only thing that matters is eyeballs. As a viewer you will be manipulated in any way possible to try to influence you to watch more television.

Edited by TornACL

24 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Good luck with that argument.  I am pretty well versed in Labor Law and don't think they have a shot there given the wording of the CBA.

I can promise you the NLRA does not let the unionized fellows down at the local hotel or convention center engage in political protests while on the clock in front of customers.

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Good luck with that argument.  I am pretty well versed in Labor Law and don't think they have a shot there given the wording of the CBA.

I can promise you the NLRA does not let the unionized fellows down at the local hotel or convention center engage in political protests while on the clock in front of customers.

That's fine. 

There are going to be more players taking a knee this fall than last fall.

Why not simply choose a different way to protest?  All wear black shocks or print hats for all post and pre game interviews. Or a black stripe To highlight a recent injustice and talk about the case  

Why hold the line that kneeling during the anthem is the best/only way to protest unfair treatment of minorities by the police?

Again we see examples that it is more about the individual than the message. This in no way stops them from protesting police inequality. 

35 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Why not simply choose a different way to protest?  All wear black shocks or print hats for all post and pre game interviews. Or a black stripe To highlight a recent injustice and talk about the case  

Why hold the line that kneeling during the anthem is the best/only way to protest unfair treatment of minorities by the police?

Again we see examples that it is more about the individual than the message. This in no way stops them from protesting police inequality. 

What's wrong with taking a knee?

What’s more important Hugo?  The message or kneeling during the anthem?  

The message was lost a long time ago, now they are fighting for the right to take a knee during the anthem. 

There are thousands of other options they could come up with to protest that does not change the message of the protest (on it off the field. Be creative). They are more interested in kneeing because someone told them not to. Just like your under 10 year old children. It’s selfish and petty and gives those who feel they are disrespecting the flag and not protesting the police all of the proof they need. 

We haven’t sheaf anyone disagreeing with the message, simply the method. It’s an easy fix but again, the minds of children are difficult to predict. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

13 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

because stirring up shit is the solution.

Questioning the value of the flag because the nation is not perfect is much more important than recognizing that the flag represents the liberty to protest without being arrested or thrown in a gulag.

You Kap lovers, that's his biggest fucking inconsistency.  He's kneeling because we are not perfect.  His ability to pull his bullshit without reprise from the government only REINFORCES the value of the flag, but he won't admit it. His bias keeps him from acknowledging the very liberty it represents.

Kaepernick could have been so much more constructive with his approach if his goal was to drive awareness( and solutions) for police brutality.  Slamming the flag( his words) was deliberate and part of his fucked up politics.

It doesn't make a shit to me whether he stands or not, but his argument is inconsistent.

Oh, he has faced sanctions, you say?  Yes, his employer has rights too.  he isn't guaranteed a job.  You can't say the flag doesn't work, when you're engaging in an activity that would get you arrested or even shot in another society; and then act as if your employer is wrong not to embrace it.

No we are not a perfect nation.  Yes, we have a long way to go on police and race relations.  We didn't start where we are today.  We'll be better tomorrow...if people are willing to do so.

Edited by slorch

Which is why the best course of action would have been to do nothing. The nfl was going to face shit either way. Just continue with SOP as it was is easily the best route to have gone.

6 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

What’s more important Hugo?  The message or kneeling during the anthem?  

The message was lost a long time ago, now they are fighting for the right to take a knee during the anthem. 

There are thousands of other options they could come up with to protest that does not change the message of the protest (on it off the field. Be creative). They are more interested in kneeing because someone told them not to. Just like your under 10 year old children. It’s selfish and petty and gives those who feel they are disrespecting the flag and not protesting the police all of the proof they need. 

We haven’t sheaf anyone disagreeing with the message, simply the method. It’s an easy fix but again, the minds of children are difficult to predict. 

What's wrong with taking a knee?

Well you refuse to answer my question or anyone’s really. You just drop you pathetic one liners. 

I have zero problem with taking a knee but obviously some people take it as a protest of veterans or the military etc etc when their protest has ZERO to do with that. They aren’t upset with your message. 

If your message delivery system is so fucking obscure and hurts the message why make a stand for the delivery system. 

If your focus was on the message you wouldn’t alienate a portion of those you are trying to reach for simply no reason. A normal person would simply change the delivery to keep pushing the message. 

You don’t give a shit about the cause. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

22 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Well you refuse to answer my question or anyone’s really. You just drop you pathetic one liners. 

I have zero problem with taking a knee but obviously some people take it as a protest of veterans or the military etc etc when their protest has ZERO to do with that. They aren’t upset with your message. 

If your message delivery system is so fucking obscure and hurts the message why make a stand for the delivery system. 

If your focus was on the message you wouldn’t alienate a portion of those you are trying to reach for simply no reason. A normal person would simply change the delivery to keep pushing the message. 

I don't think the message has been lost at all. Moreover, I don't give a shit about the butt hurt crybabies who pretend not to know what the protest is all about.

22 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

And if you did care for the cause you would be mortified that every article, news show and talking head is only focusing on the kneeing during the anthem. No one even mentions the police in any of the media coverage. Well fucking done. 

Every single time it is talked about in the media, the reason behind the protest is mentioned. 

25 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I don't think the message has been lost at all. Moreover, I don't give a shit about the butt hurt crybabies who pretend not to know what the protest is all about.

There is butthurt on both sides.

The convoluted method of communicating said message, combined with other "causes" embraced by said messengers( I.E. Kap and his Flag don't work statement) vs. kneeling against police brutality against minorities have caused it.

The NFL has done itself no favors with its reaction(s) to said demonstrations.

Who the fuck supports police brutality?  It should be a united front... but then all the other bullshit is thrown in and people just want to tell these fuckers to STFU. By the end of that conversation, people are left wanting to tell the league to GFY too.

Edited by slorch

No fucking way that will happen.  Not unless they think they will get some sort of reparation afterwords.

and which fucking team owes them a spot?

Maybe he just means Josh Freeman...

Edited by slorch

On 5/25/2018 at 9:54 AM, Dahobbs said:

And the players have a right to ignore their employer's policies if they choose and face the consequences.

Yep, just as any other job; there are always willing replacements to fill a gap in any service that pays...

Edited by kopp0e

On 5/25/2018 at 1:35 PM, Johnny Sack said:

You sound pretty close-minded with tunnel vision.  Your mind is made up and nothing, even reasons and facts, will dissuade you from your position.  Very sad.  Most of America is infected too

Edited by angryhomer
  • Fuck You 2

On 5/26/2018 at 1:50 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Steve would be disgusted by you.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, angryhomer said:

You sound pretty close-minded with tunnel vision.  You're mind is made up and nothing, even reasons and facts, will dissuade you from your position.  Very sad.  Most of America is infected too

So you feel Kap should be guaranteed a job in the NFL?

If so, why?

On 5/25/2018 at 11:12 AM, 'stache said:

It's only an issue for people who are angry at the message.

You propose to know the minds of millions of people?  They all support police brutality? And just when I thought I was out of touch, a pure black and white reason is determined.

On 5/27/2018 at 6:49 PM, TexasMan said:

LMAO. No way this is happening. This guy is so full of shit. 

Correct. There is a reason why the NFL players' union had to bend over and take it during the last contract negotiation wit the owners. With 53 man rosters the average player is living paycheck to paycheck. (Sadly, which is a totally different thread) The NFL isn't the NBA, the players don't have the balls or the wallets to go in on a long fight with the owners and give up those game checks. 

NFL players have zero leverage.  Careers are short and they’re replaceable.  And the nfl isn’t dependent on gate revenue near as much as nba or mlb. 16 games versus 82 and 162.  And gate attendance is mainly what suffers when there is a strike. 

This was all decided in 1987.