Abolish the filibuster!

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I've been saying for months that they should abolish it immediately and don't need to worry about optics because they won't matter by November 2022, but the optics of the GOP filibustering the John Lewis Voting Rights Act are pretty undeniably good. Force that and then some public messaging about how the filibuster has historically been used by segregationists to deny black people the franchise, and you get the double whammy of being able to message both that the current GOP is actually no different from old school segregationists and that the filibuster is bad and has always been bad.

I'm not as optimistic as you are about how palatable this bill is to the public. Anytime a bill is targeted towards minorities there is pushback from White America. Always.

The ideal time to rip the bandaid off was when Republicans blocked the checks. Everybody can understand that without the tribal nonsense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I've been saying for months that they should abolish it immediately and don't need to worry about optics because they won't matter by November 2022, but the optics of the GOP filibustering the John Lewis Voting Rights Act are pretty undeniably good. Force that and then some public messaging about how the filibuster has historically been used by segregationists to deny black people the franchise, and you get the double whammy of being able to message both that the current GOP is actually no different from old school segregationists and that the filibuster is bad and has always been bad.

Getting into a propaganda/perception war with the right around racism to abolish the filibuster is not a great idea and it’s not necessary when our elected officials can do it and explain why later. No one outside of insiders will miss the filibuster when it’s gone or advocate for its return. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I'm not as optimistic as you are about how palatable this bill is to the public. Anytime a bill is targeted towards minorities there is pushback from White America. Always.

The ideal time to rip the bandaid off was when Republicans blocked the checks. Everybody can understand that without the tribal nonsense. 

I mean, I'm sympathetic to your point. I get it. But to be perfectly honest, I understand why they didn't with the checks. I mean, that bill HAD to pass ASAP and they had a method to do it that didn't require repealing the filibuster and wasting more time. Benefits were about to expire. It made sense to do it the way they did it. And the fact that zero republicans voted for it has started the ball rolling, honestly. But yeah, checks woudl have been idea. But we coudln't wait any longer. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

You think so? Chris Coons was on Joy Reid's show yesterday. She pushed him hard on the filibuster/HR1...his (non)answer was less than inspiring. He also completely ignored her question about voting rights, which was infuriating.

I'm pretty confident they are going to figure out a way to pass this bill and get it signed.

I have no idea how, but they have about a year to do it.

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

... I mean, that bill HAD to pass ASAP ...

Not calling you out specifically, but are COVID relief checks more urgent than black equality?

It's repetitive for me to keep quoting this, but...

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Not calling you out specifically, but are COVID relief checks more urgent than black equality?

It's repetitive for me to keep quoting this, but...

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

Yes. Because Black Equality can't be fixed with one bill, or overnight. But people can fail to have food to eat and resources to care for their children next week without stimulus money. And many of those folks are probably black. So yeah, it is more urgent than Black Equality because one is a problem that can be fixed fast and the other one is one that can't be fixed probably for generations under the best circumstances. 

43 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

That was not the only thing in that bill, such as making sure the COVID unemployment supplement that expires on March 14th didn't lapse.   Or the tax-free component part of the 2020 unemployment benefits for people about to file taxes.  Child tax credit, EITC credit, childcare credit, ACA premium tax credits, the money for restaurants and shuttered music/arts venues, emergency rental assistance. 

But hey, distill it down to just "checks" and then you can say whatever you want! 

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes. Because Black Equality can't be fixed with one bill, or overnight. But people can fail to have food to eat and resources to care for their children next week without stimulus money. And many of those folks are probably black. So yeah, it is more urgent than Black Equality because one is a problem that can be fixed fast and the other one is one that can't be fixed probably for generations under the best circumstances. 

We're not talking about fixing all of black equality with one bill. We're talking about HR1.

We're talking about how anything that even smells like being focused on black Americans is hated by the right and resented by the center. As evidenced by the response to my simple question.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

We're not talking about fixing all of black equality with one bill. We're talking about HR1.

We're talking about how anything that even smells like being focused on black Americans is hated by the right and resented by the center. As evidenced by the response to my simple question.

Oh go fuck yourself. Fuck your implication towards me. 

we need to pass HR1 before 2022. I’m all for HR1. We needed to get cash in people’s hands yesterday. It’s not that fucking difficult to comprehend. 

• Hook 'Em 2

HR1 will pass the senate sometime this year. In the meantime before that happens there will be a lot of bitching about why hasn’t HR1 passed yet.

Joe Cabot: So, you guys like to tell jokes, huh? Gigglin' and laughin' like a bunch of young broads sittin' in a schoolyard. Well, let me tell a joke. Four guys, sittin' in a bullpen, in San Quentin. All wondering how the fuck they got there. What should we have done, what didn't we do, who's fault is it, is it my fault, your fault, his fault, all that bullshit. Then one of them says, hey. Wait a minute. When we were planning this caper, all we did was sit around tellin' fuckin' jokes! Get the message? 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Very much this^

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

we need to pass HR1 before 2022. I’m all for HR1. We needed to get cash in people’s hands yesterday. It’s not that fucking difficult to comprehend. 

It's not difficult to understand your point, no. But the problem is that you're so locked into believing it that you're not looking at the presumptions and also not looking at the history of this country.

Oh well, we'll see what happens.

I have no faith in the Democrats. COVID relief was a layup, so I'm not exactly ready to believe they've suddenly become legislative knife-fighters.

41 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

It's not difficult to understand your point, no. But the problem is that you're so locked into believing it that you're not looking at the presumptions and also not looking at the history of this country.

Oh well, we'll see what happens.

I have no faith in the Democrats. COVID relief was a layup, so I'm not exactly ready to believe they've suddenly become legislative knife-fighters.

They are going to do everything they can to get the voting rights bill to the floor.

They have about a year to do it before mid-term campaigning really heats up and heavy legislation is put on hold.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Was anyone implying anything towards you? Sheesh.

What is the deal with your irrational anger and lack of impulse control? Apologies in advance, in the likely chance you have a DSM-5 mental disorder, but some constructive feedback for you is it is very distracting when you fly off the handle and escalate for seemingly no reason. You've done it with me, I saw you did it with Jimmy and get owned, and then now this (heh, heh...NowThis...heh).

Please let's don't just respond with the predictable insults of how I'm stupid, vapid, or whatever those things are you like to repeat, but maybe try some mindfulness and breathing exercises. Anyways, I don't have anyone on ignore but I'm warning you mister, you are on the edge!

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 2

21 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

What is the deal with your irrational anger and lack of impulse control? Apologies in advance, in the likely chance you have a DSM-5 mental disorder, but some constructive feedback for you is it is very distracting when you fly off the handle and escalate for seemingly no reason. You've done it with me, I saw you did it with Jimmy and get owned, and then now this (heh, heh...NowThis...heh).

Please let's don't just respond with the predictable insults of how I'm stupid, vapid, or whatever those things are you like to repeat, but maybe try some mindfulness and breathing exercises. Anyways, I don't have anyone on ignore but I'm warning you mister, you are on the edge!

I fear you may not “get” this place. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, sidis said:

I fear you may not “get” this place. 

I guess not, because I feel like more than aligning to a team of politics, I find myself appreciating individual posters. Some rad awesome posters on here: Bad_teammate, Mole, ndawg, and longhornmatt, RDCanecutter, Wildcat, EuroHorn, etc. from who, if we could collectively stop half-listening, misreading posts, and spouting off like we are SME's, we might actually learn something. These guys are all over the map on political ideology. I wonder what they have in common? Is it just they write well, maybe?

Guys like Briskettexan and Sydney and JS1 and Bamagirl and myself, we are just noise. Hens clucking and getting in the way of the rational minds discussing the larger problems of the day. We should aim to grow beyond that, I think. 

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Rank the best 64 Cloak Room posters by seed a la March Madness; EuroHorn is there!

Well considering he and his friends left the cloak room because they couldn’t handle having to backup their arguments I’m gonna have to disagree.

Just now, DonkeyCigars said:

Rank the best 64 Cloak Room posters by seed a la March Madness; EuroHorn is there!

he rarely posts in cloak room and the sum of his contributions on this entire site are posting pithy one-liners in DT-cloaked cloak room threads for morons targeted at lowest common denominator posters.  he is cheesseweasel with simple sentences instead of gifs.

i frankly don't have any recollections of many of your posts but if you think that eurohorn is a quality poster that has more to offer than most, then i suspect we won't agree on much else.

now good day to you, sir. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

he rarely posts in cloak room and the sum of his contributions on this entire site are posting pithy one-liners in DT-cloaked cloak room threads for morons targeted at lowest common denominator posters.  he is cheesseweasel with simple sentences instead of gifs.

i frankly don't have any recollections of many of your posts but if you think that eurohorn is a quality poster that has more to offer than most, then i suspect we won't agree on much else.

now good day to you, sir. 

I said Good Day!

Have a great weekend; be well Siddy Boy!

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I guess not, because I feel like more than aligning to a team of politics, I find myself appreciating individual posters. Some rad awesome posters on here: Bad_teammate, Mole, ndawg, and longhornmatt, RDCanecutter, Wildcat, EuroHorn, etc. from who, if we could collectively stop half-listening, misreading posts, and spouting off like we are SME's, we might actually learn something. These guys are all over the map on political ideology. I wonder what they have in common? Is it just they write well, maybe?

Guys like Briskettexan and Sydney and JS1 and Bamagirl and myself, we are just noise. Hens clucking and getting in the way of the rational minds discussing the larger problems of the day. We should aim to grow beyond that, I think. 

I'm good for movie quotes, Seinfeld references, and general rage.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Listen, yes, he was implying shit towards me. I’ve been around this site and it’s variants and it’s predecessors. I’ve been on the Longhorn boards for almost 20 years. I know the players. And you’re either a new idiot or an old one who was so unpopular they had to get a new handle. But we’ll assume it’s the former. When BT says “not you necessarily” and then proceeds to get preachy, he may as well be saying “with all due respect” before telling me to go fuck myself, Ricky Bobby style. 

sort of the way you love to play whataboutism and “just asking questions” before you start your shitty trolling. It’s all disingenuous bullshit. But at least BT has an ethos. And I’m sure in your little mind of course I’m getting owned, just like trump thinks he’s good at business. Or how you probably don’t think you’re a misogynist. People like you see what they want. 

Neither my “anger” or my behavior is irrational, nor is it a result of poor impulse control. I’m just perfectly comfortable with identifying bullshit and pieces of shit posters and calling them such in no uncertain terms. And as I’ve said before, I just think you’re a piece of shit. Lots of posters here are pieces of shit. Fortunately they’re a minority, and that’s why this board is great, despite worthless intellectually dishonest fuckfaces such as yourself sticking around. You’re a garbage poster, and I believe you’re probably a garbage human. And as the folks who have met me before could attest, I’d have zero problem telling you that to your fucking face. So you can go violently fuck yourself with your breathing exercises, and your tips for my success here, because your’re mistaking a penchant for profanity and an ease with expressing my overwhelming contempt for you with poor impulse control or an elevated blood pressure. But by all means, put me on ignore. The less interactions I have with you the better, you unfunny and uninteresting twit.  Shit maybe I’ll just crowdsource you myself to take the uncertainty out of the equation. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

^^^^
And thats what happens when you piss off a Recruiting board poster in CR

Your recruiting board butthurt continues to be wildly amusing. And I say that as a guy who genuinely enjoys your posts here and think you’re a valuable contributor with a unique perspective. But you may as well be a DT poster bitching about the cloak room echo chamber with this shit. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

We chuckled over funny nonsense memes in DT. That was refreshing. Breaking bread.

Peace comes from listening and understanding. Go in peace and love.

Look away from the void. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen, yes, he was implying shit towards me. I’ve been around this site and it’s variants and it’s predecessors. I’ve been on the Longhorn boards for almost 20 years. I know the players. And you’re either a new idiot or an old one who was so unpopular they had to get a new handle. But we’ll assume it’s the former. When BT says “not you necessarily” and then proceeds to get preachy, he may as well be saying “with all due respect” before telling me to go fuck myself, Ricky Bobby style. 

sort of the way you love to play whataboutism and “just asking questions” before you start your shitty trolling. It’s all disingenuous bullshit. But at least BT has an ethos. And I’m sure in your little mind of course I’m getting owned, just like trump thinks he’s good at business. Or how you probably don’t think you’re a misogynist. People like you see what they want. 

Neither my “anger” or my behavior is irrational, nor is it a result of poor impulse control. I’m just perfectly comfortable with identifying bullshit and pieces of shit posters and calling them such in no uncertain terms. And as I’ve said before, I just think you’re a piece of shit. Lots of posters here are pieces of shit. Fortunately they’re a minority, and that’s why this board is great, despite worthless intellectually dishonest fuckfaces such as yourself sticking around. You’re a garbage poster, and I believe you’re probably a garbage human. And as the folks who have met me before could attest, I’d have zero problem telling you that to your fucking face. So you can go violently fuck yourself with your breathing exercises, and your tips for my success here, because your’re mistaking a penchant for profanity and an ease with expressing my overwhelming contempt for you with poor impulse control or an elevated blood pressure. But by all means, put me on ignore. The less interactions I have with you the better, you unfunny and uninteresting twit.  Shit maybe I’ll just crowdsource you myself to take the uncertainty out of the equation. 

"Blah-badi-boo-blah, bah-badi-bloo-blah!"
I ain't hear a word you said: "Hippity hoopla!"

• Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

lol YOU'RE the one who whittled it down to those terms, but ok

Mean Girls Movie GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Oh look a viable political strategy to disallow the weaponization of the filibuster while keeping it's intended purpose of allowing debate. What a novel fucking idea I wish someone else or a group of posters said this was the first step instead of just pushing the nuke button out of the gate! 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Oh look a viable political strategy to disallow the weaponization of the filibuster while keeping it's intended purpose of allowing debate. What a novel fucking idea I wish someone else or a group of posters said this was the first step instead of just pushing the nuke button out of the gate! 

I would be fascinated to know to whom this refers.

8 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

lol YOU'RE the one who whittled it down to those terms, but ok

False.

I never argued that HR1 was going to fix black equality in one bill. If I was being as disingenuous as Sydney in that characterization I would say something like, "well COVID relief isn't going to fix shutdown-related financial suffering in one try!" But I try not to be a deliberate troll so I won't do that.

COVID relief is the layup. It's politically popular even among non-Democrats and it has a reconciliation process to avoid the filibuster. It could be done basically at any time the Democrats wanted. You can tell me about the urgency of the checks and I agree, but I don't consider HR1's impact for black Americans so obviously less urgent, especially given the natural roadblocks standing it its way that weaponization of COVID relief against the filibuster would help knock down.

• Hook 'Em 1

The short term strategy for Democrats should be to pursue a return to the talking filibuster. Force Republicans to waste time talking against the John Lewis bill and then hold a simple majority vote on it. That’s a win in my book.

On 3/12/2021 at 8:13 PM, SydneyCarton said:

93E2EEDD-6BC9-4BB6-8E6F-0551939B645F.gif.7ada818c5e0644146a01549192c1eab0.gif

44 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The short term strategy for Democrats should be to pursue a return to the talking filibuster. Force Republicans to waste time talking against the John Lewis bill and then hold a simple majority vote on it. That’s a win in my book.

Wait, why would it be a simple majority?  Would it not still require 60?