Abolish the filibuster!

Hugo Stiglitz

56 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think we're talking semantics here.  Requiring the speaking filibuster arguably wouldn't "gut" it.

Plus, the Dems need a basis to end the filibuster.  It has to be in the context of something.  They're setting up the "we didn't want to do it, but the Republicans were being unreasonable and left us no other choice" argument.

I tend to think that this is all theater, and that there's going to be filibuster reform in conjunction with passing HR1.

how much is your newsletter?

On 3/7/2021 at 11:33 AM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

imho I think the Dems need to steal a page from the GOP playbook and start fear mongering. For far too long the R's have been successful drumming up fear for things that *could* happen. The messaging needs to clear and concise. I'm a little too Sunday high to write the tagline myself, but the gist needs to be that if the filibuster is not abolished (or at the very least neutered) then the GOP will forever rule from the minority and this country will fail in short order (assuming that's not already inevitable). Someone else can write the message, but it needs to be scary.

Here you go:

(Scene of cloudy skies,  dark ominous scary music)

Narrator:  "The filibuster needs to go.  Now!  Otherwise, Hillary will run again."

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I guess we’re hoping Biden is being either deliberately obfuscatory or duplicitous with his public stance on the filibuster because any other explanation would be much worse. 

Why not do this:

Dems pass a law that "suspends" the filibuster until January 6th, 2024. On January 7th, 2024 the filibuster resumes. This hedges the bet against Republicans taking back office/power.

Or do it until the end of mid terms 2022, whatever is politically expedient and better?

Why can't you do this?

The filibuster isn't an issue of law, it's just a Senate rule and the Senate rules can be changed by a majority at any time. They could suspend the rule then reinstate the rule, but what's the point? It just sets the precedent of "we temporarily suspend the rule when it suits us" and both sides can use it.

Just change the rule to the talking filibuster. Let Ted Cruz or Bernie Sanders (depending on who is in the minority) grandstand for 10 hours and then have the vote anyway. The sitting filibuster we have now makes it impossible to govern, so it cannot be allowed to stand unless the Democratic goal is perpetual Republican domination.

And it's important that they coordinate their messaging. "Restoring the standing filibuster!" or something like that. Make it seem like a noble thing we are restoring after years of crony swampism.

• Hook 'Em 6

18 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The filibuster isn't an issue of law, it's just a Senate rule and the Senate rules can be changed by a majority at any time. They could suspend the rule then reinstate the rule, but what's the point? It just sets the precedent of "we temporarily suspend the rule when it suits us" and both sides can use it.

Just change the rule to the talking filibuster. Let Ted Cruz or Bernie Sanders (depending on who is in the minority) grandstand for 10 hours and then have the vote anyway. The sitting filibuster we have now makes it impossible to govern, so it cannot be allowed to stand unless the Democratic goal is perpetual Republican domination.

And it's important that they coordinate their messaging. "Restoring the standing filibuster!" or something like that. Make it seem like a noble thing we are restoring after years of crony swampism.

Also the messaging should highlight the quirkiness of the law and how vestiges of traditional governing is awesome and cool. "Doing away with a little bit of American history and culture; aren't you a Patriot? Spit on Paul Revere's grave, why don't you, if you don't support the standing fillibuster"

1 minute ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Also the messaging should highlight the quirkiness of the law and how vestiges of traditional governing is awesome and cool. "Doing away with a little bit of American history and culture; aren't you a Patriot? Spit on Paul Revere's grave, why don't you, if you don't support the standing fillibuster"

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This would be a huge and welcome change.  

“I haven’t seen an effort by our leadership to go sit down and work with them. No one's making any effort at all. They just assume it’s going to be holy warfare,” Manchin said.

Well, Joe, have you been paying attention for past (checks notes) 11 years?

7 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I am so fucking tired of all these shitty wanna-be actors in politics.

I would be SHOCKED if he ran again in 2024 at 76 years old (which is like the new 50 in the Senate), but maybe he really wants to.  In which case, he's playing it exactly as he is supposed to.

A little bellyaching to get a bit of a deal attributed to him (COVID bill), a little inconsequential blustering (Tanden, as she was going to fail regardless), some filibuster "reform" in exchange for turning West Virginia into Dubai with that infrastructure money (if the GOP filibusters the infrastructure bill, he'd probably sign off on the "reform" pretty quickly)

Bada-bing, bada-boom, he's got his 2024 street cred for WV. 

Edited by Js1

I think we're talking semantics here.  Requiring the speaking filibuster arguably wouldn't "gut" it.
Plus, the Dems need a basis to end the filibuster.  It has to be in the context of something.  They're setting up the "we didn't want to do it, but the Republicans were being unreasonable and left us no other choice" argument.
I tend to think that this is all theater, and that there's going to be filibuster reform in conjunction with passing HR1.

Yep.

“Abolish the filibuster!” with no context is just about boring process and procedures that regular people don’t understand nor care about.

“Republicans are using an arcane rule with a racist origin to block raising your minimum wage! Therefore we have to stop their obstruction!” is a MUCH easier message to understand.

Making them talk seems like the easy answer. Most people probably assume that’s still how it’s done anyway; it would make for lots of look-at-me theatrics which politicians love; and  it would never kill good legislation just slow things down while still allowing the minority party a chance to make their case.

7 minutes ago, Mole said:

Making them talk seems like the easy answer. Most people probably assume that’s still how it’s done anyway; it would make for lots of look-at-me theatrics which politicians love; and  it would never kill good legislation just slow things down while still allowing the minority party a chance to make their case.

This and would allow technical fucks to stop the filibuster meaning that most laws would move forward. 

The more I think about it the more I prefer the idea of making the filibuster really painful for the minority over eliminating it entirely. 

The filibuster isn't really the problem, and it's not hard to imagine the really horrible things the Rs would do if it's gone when they regain the majority. The problem is the Rs being obstructionist assholes with every damn bill. Bringing back the talky filly and requiring 40+ votes on the floor would likely significantly curtail its use. 

32 minutes ago, Mole said:

Why do you think it would never kill good bills? 

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

I have this question also.  Is there a limit on how many people can do a talking filibuster?  Couldn't they just line up 50 R senators for as long as they can go?  Could they just line back up after they've gone through the rotation?

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

Never is probably too strong of a word and I guess there would be cases where there's some sort of clock they could run out, but if all they could do is slow things down and make a spectacle of themselves, it seems like it wouldn't be the all powerful and painless thing it is now. Even if they lined up 50 Senators up in a row, eventually that has to end as well, right? These old Senators can only keep this up for so long. I've seen Hand on a Hardbody; there are limits to the human body. I certainly don't fully understand all of the ins and outs of Senate rules, so there could obviously be something that I'm missing.

EwIB59VXcAEG3Lk?format=jpg&name=900x900

This sounds reasonable if you ignore everything the Republicans have done over the last 12-25 years. We know their game dude, you do not need to conduct an experiment for them to also manipulate. 

Yet another clever excuse to continue delaying and not get shit done.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's performance theater for Manchin and Sinema.  Chill out Hugo. 

Can you explain the strategic need or upside to the performance theater given the risks/costs vs rewards?  I can’t square this circle because the longer the delay, the higher the costs and at some point you will run into “we tried everything we could, there was nothing we could do, it’s too close to the midterms to push the issue now, we will just have to win more seats, please send me money.”  

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Can you explain the strategic need or upside to the performance theater given the risks/costs vs rewards?  I can’t square this circle because the longer the delay, the higher the costs and at some point you will run into “we tried everything we could, there was nothing we could do, it’s too close to the midterms to push the issue now, we will just have to win more seats, please send me money.”  

This.  It's like hearing the Rs say how they need to see the evidence relating to the Capitol insurrection.  Uh, we've all seen it motherfuckers.  We watched it on live TV.  Get a move on.

They have to have the fillibuster weaponized against them at least one time in the current sitting congress before they get rid of it, that isn't theater that is basically setting a new precedent and/or status quo that the fillibuster isn't to be weaponized, it's to actually force debate and crossing of the aisle. If they don't have that then nuke it. 

the optics are important that Republicans are the bad guys not the Democrats. Being a bully is never a good thing, but beating up a bully when they fuck with you is always awesome. Have to let them fuck with you first to punch them with good optics.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, immamac said:

the optics are important that Republicans are the bad guys not the Democrats. Being a bully is never a good thing, but beating up a bully when they fuck with you is always awesome. Have to let them fuck with you first to punch them with good optics.

I mean, they've pretty much fucked with both Dems and the American public for a decade.  Not sure how much more proof we need.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, they've pretty much fucked with both Dems and the American public for a decade.  Not sure how much more proof we need.

I'm not saying I agree with Immamac, but his point isn't without merit. And it's likely how this plays out. Sure, we know they've been fucking with people for a decade, but as Huge said, Americans aren't known for their memories. It's an issue now. And you need an immediate example. 

• Hook 'Em 2

They aren't going to vote for anything Biden proposes.  They are going to fight him on the infrastructure bill too.  Just watch.  It's also going to be very popular just like Covid relief was.  It's like they want to lose more House and Senate seats in 2024.

Edited by kevwun

40 minutes ago, immamac said:

They have to have the fillibuster weaponized against them at least one time in the current sitting congress before they get rid of it, that isn't theater that is basically setting a new precedent and/or status quo that the fillibuster isn't to be weaponized, it's to actually force debate and crossing of the aisle. If they don't have that then nuke it. 

Which piece of legislation will they sacrifice? 

35 minutes ago, immamac said:

The violent insurrection and subsequent acquittal will be hard to top when it comes to bad optics.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

The most opportune time to nuke it would have been when the Republicans were blocking a bill with 70%+ approval.

32 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

HR1. 

You think so? Chris Coons was on Joy Reid's show yesterday. She pushed him hard on the filibuster/HR1...his (non)answer was less than inspiring. He also completely ignored her question about voting rights, which was infuriating.

Just now, Bruh Man said:

You think so? Chris Coons was on Joy Reid's show yesterday. She pushed him hard on the filibuster/HR1...his (non)answer was less than inspiring. He also completely ignored her question about voting rights, which was infuriating.

I've been saying for months that they should abolish it immediately and don't need to worry about optics because they won't matter by November 2022, but the optics of the GOP filibustering the John Lewis Voting Rights Act are pretty undeniably good. Force that and then some public messaging about how the filibuster has historically been used by segregationists to deny black people the franchise, and you get the double whammy of being able to message both that the current GOP is actually no different from old school segregationists and that the filibuster is bad and has always been bad.

• Hook 'Em 7