Good movies that haven't held up.

Parliament

On 5/21/2018 at 4:14 PM, lateshow said:

I've said this before, and it's unpopular, but Caddyshack. I've never found it all that funny. It has not aged well at all. 

Caddyshack has lots of great one-liners and quotable moments, but as an entire film, it's not nearly as good as the other National Lampoon stuff from the early 80s.

Caddyshack has lots of great one-liners and quotable moments, but as an entire film, it's not nearly as good as the other National Lampoon stuff from the early 80s.
Just read the book on the making of Caddyshack. It was Ramis' first stint as director, the set was out of control, and they changed much of the script and storyline in the middle of filming to accommodate Bill Murray's character, because every time the camera rolled, he was hitting it out of the park. The first cut was four and a half hours long. Geez. They added the gopher in in post-production to tie everything together. It's no surprise it is disjointed, but it's still great and a classic.

Excellent point excellent point.

A few structural problems you might want to take a look at.

1. What other early 80s NL movies are you talking about? Besides Vacation maybe in 83. (Animal House was 78 and don’t tell me you are talking about Class Reunion or Movie Madness)

2. Maybe more likely to cave you in. Pretty sure Caddyshack wasn’t a National Lampoon’s movie.

1 minute ago, Archer said:

Aliens. 

I rewatched it a few weeks ago and got bored. I remember loving that movie as a kid. 

How many horror movies hold up ?  Suspense is a big part of the genre, and when it came out Aliens had people on the edge of their seats.  I think it holds up fine. The sci fi  technology is still pretty strong as well IMO.  The acting is all pretty top notch as well from a strong cast of character actors

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

How many horror movies hold up ?  Suspense is a big part of the genre, and when it came out Aliens had people on the edge of their seats.  I think it holds up fine. The sci fi  technology is still pretty strong as well IMO.  The acting is all pretty top notch as well from a strong cast of character actors

I'd consider Aliens to be more of an action film than a horror film.

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well it's sci fi for sure. It's action set in space. But when monsters are involved I say horror film, just my opinion of course

Compare it to Alien (the original), which is a true horror film.

Both are sci fi, of course.

But both hold up very well, imo. I have no idea what Archer is talking about.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2018 at 4:42 PM, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

I'll give you Avatar, but the rest still hold up for me.

Saving Private Ryan is still badass and an all time favorite. The Matrix falls into that category of I'll watch it if it's on. Other sequels didn't run great movies as a movie can sorta exist in a vacuum. 

Agreed.  Watched it for the first time in a while last month.  The Normandy invasion scene makes me as stressed as the day I first saw it in the theater.  The rest of the movie is solid.  The pace is fine.  The end is a good, intense, hold your ground battle.  No complaints.

On 5/1/2018 at 10:14 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Lacy is the thing that doesn't hold up. Today she's a 6 best case.  A pox on you and yours for even suggesting Caddyshack doesn't hold up....  

and to whoever said Arthur is dated...... fuck that noise too (said with nothing but  brotherly Surly love of course)....

6?

Edit.  I see this already was posted.  I'll leave it because . . . "Madonna with Meatballs."

Edited by dcbc

On 5/22/2018 at 7:14 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

Star Wars. I can't even make it past the scene where the robots are walking through the desert after crashing on the desert planet.

My sister was commenting how silly it is that people in the future supposedly feel the need to wear capes and all the ridiculous hats like the guys wearing the white helmets that look like the aero road bike time trial helmets. 

14 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

My sister was commenting how silly it is that people in the future supposedly feel the need to wear capes and all the ridiculous hats like the guys wearing the white helmets that look like the aero road bike time trial helmets. 

“A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...”

I’m not a super Star Wars geek, but it’s alternate universe sci-fi, part of the fun is imagining what other cultures would find fashionable/functional. We wear some pretty weird hats ourselves if you think about it.

I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey a couple years ago for the first time and thought it was boring as shit. I understand some of the things it did well and that’s certainly impressive for its time, but I did not find it entertaining. I think a lot of people who love it appreciate it for how they saw it when it was new. The special effects and technology were great then, but they helped cover up a boring plot.

For reference, I love scifi movies and I like lots of slow films. Just thought this particular movie sucked for a modern day first time viewer.

Neg away.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? Aliens is one of the most rewatchable movies of all time.

Maybe I was having an off day or something I just couldn’t get into it the second go around. I’ll have to give it another shot since everyone says I’m off my rocker. 

Jaws only doesn't hold up because of the shark.  the acting, screenplay, and pacing are top notch in my opinion.

I submit The Terminator and, even though I love the movie, The Thing(Kurt Russell), didn't really hold up for me on a recent rewatch.

On 5/21/2018 at 11:48 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Just about any good, funny movie from Charlie Chaplin thru today is a counterpoint to his argument. 

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is still pretty damn funny for a 60's  comedy movie

11 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

In what world was that considered a good movie?

I think it was a pretty good sci fi thriller for its time.  rotten tomatoes have it at 83%.  its not anywhere close to Alien but its a pretty good flick.

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is still pretty damn funny for a 60's  comedy movie

Yep, it's a bit dated for sure, but there are scenes that still completely crack me up (Johnathon. Winters tearing up the gas station is just one that comes to mind).  You've got to look at movies in the context of their times to appreciate them to some degree.  

Hell Casablanca is completely dated, over acted, and ham handed at times, but it's vastly more entertaining than some of the stuff Hollywood has cranked out since then.

On 4/30/2018 at 9:12 AM, Parliament said:

Platoon was one of the 1st post-Vietnam war movies, and it was long overdue.  It's blatantly anti-war.  Nothing wrong with that, but anti-war movies today are a bit tired.  Sorry for going all CR here, but subsequent war movies just tell a good story.  We like that better.

Take the Sheen voiceovers out, and make the score less melodramatic.  It'd be a better movie for this era.

Can I add Blackhawk Down?  It was popular immediately post 9-11.  Still a good action movie, but it veers SO far from the actual story.

I literally hate you.

9 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey a couple years ago for the first time and thought it was boring as shit. I understand some of the things it did well and that’s certainly impressive for its time, but I did not find it entertaining. I think a lot of people who love it appreciate it for how they saw it when it was new. The special effects and technology were great then, but they helped cover up a boring plot.

For reference, I love scifi movies and I like lots of slow films. Just thought this particular movie sucked for a modern day first time viewer.

Neg away.

I hope you were drunk on Wild Turkey when you typed this nonsense.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I've never liked 2001. Slow, plodding story line with bits of interesting stuff thrown in. Not my favorite Kubrick film by a long shot.  You have to keep it in the Persective of the time it was released however. 

But that doesn't mean it didn't hold up.  It's always been an "acquired taste."  In 1968, the New York Times said the film was “so completely absorbed in its own problems – its use of colour and space, its fanatical devotion to science-fiction detail – that it’s somewhere between hypnotic and immensely boring.  The uncompromising slowness of the movie makes it hard to sit through without talking – and people on all sides when I saw it were talking almost throughout the film. Very annoying.”

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

But that doesn't mean it didn't hold up.  It's always been an "acquired taste."  In 1968, the New York Times said the film was “so completely absorbed in its own problems – its use of colour and space, its fanatical devotion to science-fiction detail – that it’s somewhere between hypnotic and immensely boring.  The uncompromising slowness of the movie makes it hard to sit through without talking – and people on all sides when I saw it were talking almost throughout the film. Very annoying.”

Yes, as a piece of art it does hold up, but the story, and the techno aspects don't hold up well IMO.  Today it would just be another sci fi piece and a slow one at that.

15 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Excellent point excellent point.

A few structural problems you might want to take a look at.

1. What other early 80s NL movies are you talking about? Besides Vacation maybe in 83. (Animal House was 78 and don’t tell me you are talking about Class Reunion or Movie Madness)

2. Maybe more likely to cave you in. Pretty sure Caddyshack wasn’t a National Lampoon’s movie.

Caddyshack wasn't an "official" National Lampoon movie, but it was written/produced/directed and stared basically all of the core NL talent (Doug Kenney, Harold Ramis, Brian Doyle-Murray, Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, etc.).

And when I say "National Lampoon" movies I should have qualified that's what I meant.  Caddyshack wasn't an official NL movie, nor was Stripes for that matter, but both movies were based on all of the NL talent so I consider them NL movies, even though they don't have the official "National Lampoon" in their title.

12 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Jaws only doesn't hold up because of the shark.

They tried filming with real GWS only the Trainers kept getting eaten, so they went with the Mechanical sharks instead. 

Jaws is the greatest movie ever made, anyone disagreeing is a cocksucker. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6