Ski Season 18/19

texasdago

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I generally avoid steep groomers.  Not much fun for me (a semi-old fuck).  Sounds like a trendy overpriced hair place for snowflakes as well.

Gimme the bumps all day (definitely getting the semi old fuck moniker stitched on the back of the jersey).  Same feelings with a jet ski. Going 60 on a flat lake is booooring shit. Gunning it at 30 over a 6' swell off the beach is the thing that makes my day.

I love steep groomers... European resorts can work magic with those although I'll have some fun in bumps, too.  We'll see how this year goes given my knee situation.   I will be tempted to go off piste but our resort choice this year has some limits off piste due to heavily serraced glaiers.   Don't think you can veer too far off without a guide or without staying close to the marked runs.  Even marked runs, though, will offer up nearly 6,000 feet of vertical.

Will get fitted for a Don Joy this December but I'm feeling very good about how things will go on the mountain by the spring time.  This year should be a "take it easy" year if I'm smart enough.  Of course, my season after an MCL injury was supposed to be "take it easy" but I jammed as much vertical as I could into 6 days as after day one, I felt great.  My ligaments were intact, though.  

On 10/31/2018 at 11:22 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Reason 4,546.8 That I will never snow board.

I never snowboard because after 45 years of skiing, I tried snowboarding a few times, and fell on my ass and chest like 321 times.  Ain't got time fo' dat shit. 
Essentially snowboarding wasn't invented when I learned to ski, so I didn't have a choice.  And I don't feel like killing myself now to do it.
However, self-kudos for being able to get off of the chair without falling once, with one leg strapped into a board.  If that were the entirety of the sport, I'd consider myself an expert boarder now.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I never snowboard because after 45 years of skiing, I tried snowboarding a few times, and fell on my ass and chest like 321 times.  Ain't got time fo' dat shit. 
Essentially snowboarding wasn't invented when I learned to ski, so I didn't have a choice.  And I don't feel like killing myself now to do it.
However, self-kudos for being able to get off of the chair without falling once, with one leg strapped into a board.  If that were the entirety of the sport, I'd consider myself an expert boarder now.

I tried it around 1987 or so... back when Burton was one of the few games in town and did it for a few days.  It was OK but part of my was like, man, why do I want to start over.  I also remembered catwalks and flats suuuucked and lifts were a pain in the ass.  I though, I'm not going to take a step back given where I am today so I stuck with skiing.  Never looked back.

The only part of boarding I wish I could do is the part of skiing that ironically I don't like to do - long groomer carving. 

I would love to be on a longboard with all that momentum and get really low on groomers, like a motorcycle racer leaning over 75 degrees on a fast turn.  Man I would love to fell that centrifugal force on my whole body as I lean down almost horizontally.  And the flow of weight transfer as I shift edges.  That is cooler on a board than it is on a ski IMHO.

But the rest - no way.  Powder, steeps, bumps - all ski, all the time.  One of the cool feelings I have on skis that you cannot get, no way no how with a board, is the quick shift through bumps... like 2-3 turns per second.  That's incredibly fun, if not tiring as shit - can't do it for long - but when I do, the "flow" is beyond awesome.

But man do I wish I could speedboard at times. 

I'd pretty much echo what you guys have just posted.

were I younger I'd want to try it, but not anymore. 

When the kids kids were learning to ski they wanted to try snowboarding. I said when you master skiing you can try snowboarding.

They've never boarded, and neither have had any interest in trying it, and they're both in their mid 20's.

The trick is, you never really master it.  You're always trying to get better.  Every run I make I try to fix what I did wrong the last run or have an even better run than the last run where I just hit a really great line.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

When the kids kids were learning to ski they wanted to try snowboarding. I said when you master skiing you can try snowboarding.

They've never boarded, and neither have had any interest in trying it, and they're both in their mid 20's.

The trick is, you never really master it.  You're always trying to get better.  Every run I make I try to fix what I did wrong the last run or have an even better run than the last run where I just hit a really great line.

Yeah, I don't even know how good I am. I lived in SLC for a few years and had a friend who was an instructor. I can get down anything and use to do a lot of OOB skiing although I wouldn't think about going fast though trees. I don't do moguls great unless it is steep with powder and I am getting too old having my knees pop up to my face anyway. Years ago I thought I was pretty good and a girl I met on the lift wanted to go cliff yumping. She was better than me and I had no fun doing that with rocks and trees at landing. Screw that. What I really enjoyed was the little jumps where I could do a helicopter or backscratcher and hopefully not land and immediately hit a mogul. For a long time now I have just kind of done family stuff and then go on my own for a few runs and then maybe hang out for a bit at the halfway house and do it again. It doesn't help that my parents have a place in Santa Fe so I rarely make trips to the great mountains. It is even hard to go to Taos when you have skiing 15min. outside your door. I really need to take a 1.5 week trip again because it takes a little time just to get back in the swing of things. Skiing for a few days a year just doesn't do it. This spring based on what you guys are saying we will go to either Whitefish or Kicking Horse. Still not sure which one we would enjoy more and which would make a better vacation home.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I skied from about 8 to about 14, then didn't go again until my early 20's, when a buddy took me who had started snowboarding a year or two earlier.  This was '92-ish.  He gave me his old Sims swallowtail snowboard, we went to Mammoth, I ate shit for a day and a half and then it just took off and I have never been back on skis since.  And never will I don't suspect.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I skied from about 8 to about 14, then didn't go again until my early 20's, when a buddy took me who had started snowboarding a year or two earlier.  This was '92-ish.  He gave me his old Sims swallowtail snowboard, we went to Mammoth, I ate shit for a day and a half and then it just took off and I have never been back on skis since.  And never will I don't suspect.

Yeah, it's a mad mad mad world out there.  Ski or board what you like.  Boarding pretty much saved the ski industry in many respects with a whole new demographic.

Still do both. Skied up until about 20, then tried boarding cause friends were doing it and did that for almost another 20. Got sick of sitting on my ass strapping up and went back to skiing a few years ago. Still though, on a big powder day...12 inches plus, I break out the board for a few runs.  There is nothing better on steep shit just bombing powder floating on top. 

Family decided to spend Christmas to new years in Tahoe this year, it'll be my first time skiing. 

I've done a good deal of research about the area and where to go, but what I'm having trouble finding is a clear list of what I need to buy and what to just rent. Any help would be appreciated, my winter clothing doesn't go much further than a hoodie. 

1 hour ago, seven said:

Family decided to spend Christmas to new years in Tahoe this year, it'll be my first time skiing. 

I've done a good deal of research about the area and where to go, but what I'm having trouble finding is a clear list of what I need to buy and what to just rent. Any help would be appreciated, my winter clothing doesn't go much further than a hoodie. 

Rent skis, boots, poles, and helmet.

Purchase thin wool socks, wool or poly top and bottom base layers, reasonable ski pants (uninsulated or light insulation should be fine), poly fleece insulating layer, windproof shell (pit zips are nice to get rid of excess heat), reasonable goggles.

No cotton.

Try an online gear exchange or eBay for pants, fleece/insulating layer, and shell.  

Edited by Upgrayedd
Kinco insulated gloves
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Rent skis, boots, poles, and helmet.

Purchase thin wool socks, wool or poly top and bottom base layers, reasonable ski pants (uninsulated or light insulation should be fine), poly fleece insulating layer, windproof shell (pit zips are nice to get rid of excess heat), reasonable goggles.

No cotton.

Try an online gear exchange or eBay for pants, fleece/insulating layer, and shell.  

Some good advice. Don't buy until you know you like it.  Very good advice on the socks - you want a liner sock and then a thin outer sock. Lot's of peope get cold feet because they cut of circulation with heavy socks. Take two pairs of gloves - let one dry out and use the second on the second day. I love my Colombia ski gloves from the 90's - look forthem on ebay - they were the best I found to keep me warm. I also love my 2o year old Colombia Powderkeg jacket because it is a 3 in one so you can leave aprt of it behind if it warms up. Again look in ebay. I wore full ski underwear - like old fashioned thermal underwear and then nylon shell ski pants. If you can afford it take goggles and sunglasses. Skiing in sunglasses is a lot different than goggles.

• Like 1

Also Tahoe in December seems risky to me.  I hope they get a few good storms roll through or you might be relying on snowmaking (booo).  I like Alpine because it seems less resorty, but if I was doing the family thing, it's hard to beat NorthStar.

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Nope.  just one sock and you're good.  I really like the Smartwool Medium Ski socks.  Very worth it.

Seconded.

Just for guidance sake - here's my layering setup for anywhere with highs between 20-35:

Chewbacca's socks

Icebreaker midweight merino wool bottom and top base layer (boot height bottoms)

Patagonia gore tex pants and shell (powder bowl, maybe, I can't remember)

Patagonia R1 1/4 zip insulating layer

Nano-puff vest in the backpack or worn

Fleece neck gator depending on conditions

Helmet

Hester lobster claw gloves.

With highs below 20 I'll swap the R1 for a down sweater or my nano puff jacket.  Temps in the teens I'll use the R1 as a base layer under down sweater and will add a second bottom layer and add thin merino glove liners.

Layering is key.

Don't count on snow in Tahoe end of December.  It's been uber dry as you have probably seen on the news.  Good news is that it has been both dry and cold and they are making snow on the lower parts of the hill.  Since you have never skied, that might be enough to put a smile on your face.  Doesn't look like you'll be sending it down KT-22 though.

• Like 1

Do you just ride the lift?   I would sweat my ass off in that setup @35F

Unless it's below 10f  

Water proof powder Shell (fabric not coating)

Water proof powder bib/pants (no insulation

Hot Chilis med long underwear

Quick Dry long sleeve shirt

Good Merino wool socks (I like Burton)

Buff or some type of neck/face protection

Helmet

Gloves (water-proof)

If you just make sure the snow doesn't get in, you'll only be cool/cold on the first lift of the AM and after lunch....  Get cold go harder.  Get hot take the shirt off and open some vents...   ezpz

2 hours ago, Texaus said:

So taking a last minute road trip to Breck. Leaving this afternoon. Question is, will we be okay taking the wife’s 2wd suv, or should we take my 4wd truck? No off-roading involved here, just the main roads there, back, and around town while there.

2wd will be fine. 1-3 inches tomorrow.

Edited by LonghornJones

On 11/12/2018 at 5:22 PM, Chewbacca said:

Nope.  just one sock and you're good.  I really like the Smartwool Medium Ski socks.  Very worth it.

Just looked and like one thing about those socks.  They have the same idea as my liner and sock combo (thin) but I like the shin pad. If you are skiing correctly the shin is pressed on the inside of the boot so this is a good idea.

On 11/12/2018 at 3:53 PM, Upgrayedd said:

Seconded.

Just for guidance sake - here's my layering setup for anywhere with highs between 20-35:

Chewbacca's socks

Icebreaker midweight merino wool bottom and top base layer (boot height bottoms)

Patagonia gore tex pants and shell (powder bowl, maybe, I can't remember)

Patagonia R1 1/4 zip insulating layer

Nano-puff vest in the backpack or worn

Fleece neck gator depending on conditions

Helmet

Hester lobster claw gloves.

With highs below 20 I'll swap the R1 for a down sweater or my nano puff jacket.  Temps in the teens I'll use the R1 as a base layer under down sweater and will add a second bottom layer and add thin merino glove liners.

Layering is key.

Don't count on snow in Tahoe end of December.  It's been uber dry as you have probably seen on the news.  Good news is that it has been both dry and cold and they are making snow on the lower parts of the hill.  Since you have never skied, that might be enough to put a smile on your face.  Doesn't look like you'll be sending it down KT-22 though.

Bullshit.  A good pair of jeans and a hoodie are all you need.  Pussies.

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Bullshit.  A good pair of jeans and a hoodie are all you need.  Pussies.

Ditch the hoodie and replace with a Mother Karen’s powder shell.  Blue and red.  

And the gators.

Suncloud rose glasses.

One hitter for the gondy

Mammoth mid-late 80s setup

• Like 3

So my hill is being allowed to sell some nice sego powder ski demos to their instructors for $200. My wife is getting a pair. They said that as a beginner who stays on groomed trails, I might find them tougher to ski on and unnecessary. 

But I might pick them up for future use. Thoughts?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

On 11/16/2018 at 7:49 PM, Upgrayedd said:

Ditch the hoodie and replace with a Mother Karen’s powder shell.  Blue and red.  

And the gators.

Suncloud rose glasses.

One hitter for the gondy

Mammoth mid-late 80s setup

Don't forget for the jeans...

https://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-Heavy-Shield-Grilling-10-5-Ounce/dp/B01LYLJ3SI/ref=asc_df_B01LYLJ3SI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167134408017&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1734497074070761194&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027617&hvtargid=pla-307858383053&psc=1 

• 3 weeks later...