Misplaced ID story: How can businesses improve?

Went kayaking with older sister yesterday on Lady Bird Lake.  We got in a kayak for one hour, and the business misplaced her id.  We both figured out at the same time what they should do, call everybody who left the business while we were on the lake and tell them to check to see if they have the correct id.  Business slowly agreed with us.  

On the lake from 10 to 11 a.m. Hung around until my sister got what she needed, wrt promises, maybe 12:30 p.m.  The id was delivered to my sister around 3:30 p.m. Hour of kayaking was free.  No request necessary.

Here is what I think happened.  Being around water, I think her id was stuck to the back of someone's id.   At one point while employees were looking all of the id's were stacked together  Our scope of problem solving was too narrow at first.  We thought business had given her id to someone with the same or similar name.  Business reported no names similar.   Business has cameras, good.  Employee reported to us while she talked to a manager; manager saw on camera the employee put the id in the correct spot, and did not see anybody give out ids from that spot.  maybe.  

We were a good team.  I demanded to see a gm in person, told them we weren't leaving, etc.  She was waaay too nice, but effective.  She got them to agree to text, call, and email those 20 people. She got the GM to agree to sign a statement in front of notary(my idea) saying they misplaced the id, so she could get a new id if necessary.  

Other than hiring employees who do a better job, only thing I can think of is that if I am ever in the process of giving up my ID, I tell this story?  I am good at beating people down with details.  Also, maybe have a lanyard attached to id, and refuse to remove lanyard? 

Honestly, I don't think I am every giving up my REAL id anytime, ever.  I mean at least with the airlines, you can see them holding your ID.   

interesting.  

Is the business keeping IDs as a deposit so you don't steal the kayak?  That's a dumb theft deterrent if so.  It's not that expensive to get a new license.  Also you don't need a notarized document to get a new driver's license.  I'm assuming this is a driver's license, but you guys went overkill.  

• Like 1

A friend and I once rented a catamaran to sail around on a lake.  I didn't have to give the rental place my ID, but I probably should have.  We capsized the catamaran in the middle of the lake and our car keys and wallets, placed in a tied up plastic grocery bag, promptly fell into the lake.  We managed to grab it before it sank, but it was pretty harrowing.

~~~

orangecat92 better monitor his/her credit reports.  Some lucky customer likely just signed up for credit cards/loans with the "borrowed" ID....

Who knew the kayak place had a notary? For future reference, I’m pretty sure that you can’t get a replacement ID unless your sworn statement from the culprit that lost it is signed in the blood of a wild boar. Otherwise they don’t know that you mean business.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Do you think you need a notary confirming someone else lost your ID and not you to get a new one?  Wtf is the notary necessary at all here?  So the business has to pay the $20 for a replacement ID?  I bet you and your wife return A LOT of food at restaurants.  Then there’s the you made them text, call and email everyone that was there!!!  Is one of those not good enough?  That’s like a crazy ex stalking you, I get all three of those from that place I’d think a family member drown on their watch or something.

Edited by Hook1997
  • Like 1

Went kayaking with older sister yesterday on Lady Bird Lake.  We got in a kayak for one hour, and the business misplaced her id.  We both figured out at the same time what they should do, call everybody who left the business while we were on the lake and tell them to check to see if they have the correct id.  Business slowly agreed with us.  
On the lake from 10 to 11 a.m. Hung around until my sister got what she needed, wrt promises, maybe 12:30 p.m.  The id was delivered to my sister around 3:30 p.m. Hour of kayaking was free.  No request necessary.
Here is what I think happened.  Being around water, I think her id was stuck to the back of someone's id.   At one point while employees were looking all of the id's were stacked together  Our scope of problem solving was too narrow at first.  We thought business had given her id to someone with the same or similar name.  Business reported no names similar.   Business has cameras, good.  Employee reported to us while she talked to a manager; manager saw on camera the employee put the id in the correct spot, and did not see anybody give out ids from that spot.  maybe.  
We were a good team.  I demanded to see a gm in person, told them we weren't leaving, etc.  She was waaay too nice, but effective.  She got them to agree to text, call, and email those 20 people. She got the GM to agree to sign a statement in front of notary(my idea) saying they misplaced the id, so she could get a new id if necessary.  
Other than hiring employees who do a better job, only thing I can think of is that if I am ever in the process of giving up my ID, I tell this story?  I am good at beating people down with details.  Also, maybe have a lanyard attached to id, and refuse to remove lanyard? 
Honestly, I don't think I am every giving up my REAL id anytime, ever.  I mean at least with the airlines, you can see them holding your ID.   
interesting.  

Which facility did you rent from?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

On 7/2/2021 at 7:13 AM, orangecat92 said:

interesting.  

Remind me to never let you near my business 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mapplewhite132 said:

Remind me to never let you near my business 

Imo it is called risk management.  The feeling is 100% mutual.  If I give a business my REAL ID, there is a chance of the business losing my REAL ID. 

If you told me I had a 5% chance of your employees losing my REAL ID at your business because of your employee incompetence, I would say no thanks.  I get 5% because there were 20 customers who left the business during the time my sister and I were on the water.  Not what I would call high traffic.  

The employees recovered by following my sister's and my guidance in problem solving.  They were not 100% trained to problem solve by themselves.  

ID is viewed differently depending upon your circumstance.  Maybe to the nice folks who live in Texas an ID is easily replaceable. My sister was the one who gave up the ID, but it could have easily been my REAL ID.  

I am in a little different circumstance wrt an ID.  Living in Alaska since 2018, and visiting Texas, I am 100% dependent upon having a REAL ID to travel.  Were it not for the pandemic, it is my understanding that a REAL ID would have become a nationwide requirement by now.  REAL ID requirements are much stiffer than a regular ID.  It is my understanding that a person cannot get on an airplane without a REAL ID, or a Passport.  Please read Alaska Airlines info. below. 

"What is REAL ID?

In 2005, Congress passed the REAL ID Act This indicates a link to an external site that may not follow the same accessibility or privacy policies as Alaska Airlines. By selecting a partner link you agree to share your data with these sites. to set nationwide security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards. It prohibits federal agencies like the TSA from accepting identification from states that do not meet these standards, including getting through an airport security checkpoint to board a plane.

REAL ID enforcement had been set to start October 1, 2020. Due to circumstances resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic the enforcement deadline has been changed to May 3, 2023." (Alaska Airlines response to REAL ID legislation, retrieved from alaskaair.com July 3 2021)

Please tell me what kind of business you run that requires a 5% chance of your customers having their REAL ID lost because of employee incompetence and I promise I will avoid the sector. 

Seriously. 

Please tell me what kind of idiot gives their REAL id to a high school kid making minimum wage at the kayak stand? I'd have thought you might understand how important your REAL id is but apparently you have no fucking clue what kind of REAL shit you carry around in your pocket

46 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Imo it is called risk management.  The feeling is 100% mutual.  If I give a business my REAL ID, there is a chance of the business losing my REAL ID. 

If you told me I had a 5% chance of your employees losing my REAL ID at your business because of your employee incompetence, I would say no thanks.  I get 5% because there were 20 customers who left the business during the time my sister and I were on the water.  Not what I would call high traffic.  

The employees recovered by following my sister's and my guidance in problem solving.  They were not 100% trained to problem solve by themselves.  

ID is viewed differently depending upon your circumstance.  Maybe to the nice folks who live in Texas an ID is easily replaceable. My sister was the one who gave up the ID, but it could have easily been my REAL ID.  

I am in a little different circumstance wrt an ID.  Living in Alaska since 2018, and visiting Texas, I am 100% dependent upon having a REAL ID to travel.  Were it not for the pandemic, it is my understanding that a REAL ID would have become a nationwide requirement by now.  REAL ID requirements are much stiffer than a regular ID.  It is my understanding that a person cannot get on an airplane without a REAL ID, or a Passport.  Please read Alaska Airlines info. below. 

"What is REAL ID?

In 2005, Congress passed the REAL ID Act This indicates a link to an external site that may not follow the same accessibility or privacy policies as Alaska Airlines. By selecting a partner link you agree to share your data with these sites. to set nationwide security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards. It prohibits federal agencies like the TSA from accepting identification from states that do not meet these standards, including getting through an airport security checkpoint to board a plane.

REAL ID enforcement had been set to start October 1, 2020. Due to circumstances resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic the enforcement deadline has been changed to May 3, 2023." (Alaska Airlines response to REAL ID legislation, retrieved from alaskaair.com July 3 2021)

Please tell me what kind of business you run that requires a 5% chance of your customers having their REAL ID lost because of employee incompetence and I promise I will avoid the sector. 

Seriously. 

Um.

"REAL ID" is a Texas Drivers License with a gold star on it.

TX%2520Real%2520ID-Child_2020_Real%2520I

With this 5% of ID’s lost logic you assume every group they have they lose an ID….  Come on it’s probably more like .0001 percent, people make mistakes but now we are talking about contacting the owner over this smh.   Also it’s $15 if you lose your Alaska ID out of state for a temporary and it’s processed and emailed in 1-2 days, the notary fee was more then that….  Drastic response for $15 I’d say.

8FD30C1C-B63C-49F3-9573-E45A8A90EB5E.png

Edited by Hook1997

If you lose your ID, TSA still has methods that allow you to pass security. They recommend that you show up at least 2 hours before your flight so they can attempt to verify who you are. It's doesn't sound like a guarantee it will work, but they're willing to work with passengers to help them out.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

It's not a bad idea to travel with a passport as a second ID even when traveling within the US.

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you lose your ID, TSA still has methods that allow you to pass security. They recommend that you show up at least 2 hours before your flight so they can attempt to verify who you are. It's doesn't sound like a guarantee it will work, but they're willing to work with passengers to help them out.

It's not a bad idea to travel with a passport as a second ID even when traveling within the US.

I was told “tough shit” the time I left my wallet on the counter at home.

9 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I was told “tough shit” the time I left my wallet on the counter at home.

That’s because You left it at home.  If you had went to the airport notary and got a statement saying someone else lost it, you would have been fine.  

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

That’s because You left it at home.  If you had went to the airport notary and got a statement saying someone else lost it, you would have been fine.  

I tried that.  Unfortunately, the airport notary was located beyond the security checkpoint.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Or you report your ID lost (when it isn't) and store the backup in your backpack that you always travel with.

I rented a catamaran while drinking all day on the beach in Fort Walton back in the 1990's.  Didn't know how to sail it so I asked the kid running the rental stand if he wanted to drive.  While we're out the swells are getting pretty big - a storm was coming in.  I tell the kid that we should turn around and head back in and he says "Whaaaaaaaaaaat?"  I said "LETS GO BACK!  TURN AROUND!".  He said "YEAH MAN, I JUST TOOK TWO HITS OF ACID!"  I said "WHAT?"  He said " YEAH MAN!!   

Edited by BottleRocket
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Years ago my wife and I and the captain of the boat saved a pregnant woman and an Italian whose boat capsized at the mouth of the Sierpe River on the Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica. They were lucky to survive because not many boats traveled down that jungle river. They had been treading water for over an hour trying to hold onto their overturned vessel when we found them. The Italian only spoke his native language and he lost everything in the river - passport, cloths, money, ID, etc. I have a feeling he had a very hard time getting back to Italy. So if you ever misplace your wallet or it takes awhile to find your ID again, think about what that guy went through. It could be worse than an extra hour on the lake.