The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

one of my fav is the speedmaster reduced that came in 39mm (i always thought it was 38, cuz it wears small that way).  they discontinued that name but apparently have a line now called "speedmaster 38".   but of course its racing/chrono style and not nautical style like other examples dude posted

1 hour ago, topochico said:

Agree with the above comments regarding lug and bezel size and how "big" the watch will look. Try a few on and see what works for you. Crown and Caliber is another trusted online used watch source. 

The 1st Seamaster you posted looks outstanding. 

Have you considered Grand Seiko? Thin bezels and smaller sizes are available across their lineup. 
Grand-Seiko-Heritage-SBGR253-10-10-GRS-PE6BYM-2682247212d9_1000x.thumb.jpg.d4351d95395829fa59454d1ef24a3eb0.jpg
https://www.crownandcaliber.com/products/grand-seiko-heritage-sbgr253-10-10-grs-pe6bym

I do like the blue face...  here's another one or two:

13620264-ffe66hdu2yzcvwgv2f3rcqfy-Zoom.j

not a blue face but a more feminine style that actually looks really great.  I wouldn't feel like I was sacrificing anything to wear this one (though I'd still want a nautical one too):

14059684_xxl_v1580732387104.jpg

not an aqua terra but a fantastic looking watch:

18217934-wooemag6lh7xhihwxxz5coui-ExtraL

markings on the bezel don't work for me, I'd rather have a one hour dial than 24.   the various styles of the GMT seamasters are great.

I really like both brands but there are more Omegas I like than the Rolexes. by a mile.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

One final comment on size. You will get used to whatever you go with. A little bigger is way better than too small. You don’t want to look like Trump and his ladies watch on the golf course. That’s not a political comment. Regardless of your R or D status, that thing is an abomination. 

6 minutes ago, topochico said:

One final comment on size. You will get used to whatever you go with. A little bigger is way better than too small. You don’t want to look like Trump and his ladies watch on the golf course. That’s not a political comment. Regardless of your R or D status, that thing is an abomination. 

I don't want to look like trump for anything, but I don't want to look like a chick wearing a gargantuan men's watch either.  that's the dilemma.  I think anything under 40 will work on the face size.  I agree about the lugs and the presentation of the glass as well as the band and thickness of the watch.  I'm going to try a few on.

I don't think I can swing a seamaster aqua terra and a used rolex yacht-master but goddammit I might try.

10 minutes ago, topochico said:

bs5.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

I don't want to look like trump for anything, but I don't want to look like a chick wearing a gargantuan men's watch either.  that's the dilemma.  I think anything under 40 will work on the face size.  I agree about the lugs and the presentation of the glass as well as the band and thickness of the watch.  I'm going to try a few on.
I don't think I can swing a seamaster aqua terra and a used rolex yacht-master but goddammit I might try.
Take a look at the Rolex Datejust, too. I have the blue face and it is stunning in person. Sizes are 36 or 41, but the 41 is not overly large. Wears about the same as my Omega Seamaster.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Thanks!  I still love it, but the pandemic and me working remotely has really limited my opportunities to wear it as much as I would like.  I bought a solar G-shock that someone else posted here and it never leaves my wrist.

very perverse, right?  i got a rolex DJ over christmas, but have been wearing nothing but my apple watch for 99% of the days since....

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Thanks!  I still love it, but the pandemic and me working remotely has really limited my opportunities to wear it as much as I would like.  I bought a solar G-shock that someone else posted here and it never leaves my wrist.

That’s actually one of my concerns - not the pandemic but style and opportunity to wear them all the time. A lot of times I’m in athletic wear - tennis, active wear like athleta or title nine skorts and tanks or kinda preppy like Lacoste polos etc. all birds, birks, tennis shoes, hair up little or no makeup and these watches will do just fine.  The times I go more girlie - skinny jeans, nice tops, face on and all that jazz - which is about half the time - these watches don’t really seem to work style wise.

Dropping $4-12k on a watch I wear half the time is not in line with my lower middle class upbringing. 

But in the end I really do want them so I may just have to have more than one. 

10 minutes ago, troph said:

That’s actually one of my concerns - not the pandemic but style and opportunity to wear them all the time. A lot of times I’m in athletic wear - tennis, active wear like athleta or title nine skorts and tanks or kinda preppy like Lacoste polos etc. all birds, birks, tennis shoes, hair up little or no makeup and these watches will do just fine.  The times I go more girlie - skinny jeans, nice tops, face on and all that jazz - which is about half the time - these watches don’t really seem to work style wise.

Dropping $4-12k on a watch I wear half the time is not in line with my lower middle class upbringing. 

But in the end I really do want them so I may just have to have more than one. 

Yes, it's a bummer not to wear mine much.  I was in a suit a few times a week before Covid and would wear dress shirts the rest of the time.  I haven't put on a pair of slacks since February 2020, but that should change soon.

I will get a sportier automatic at some point that I can get more wear out of, but it will be a while.  I was looking hard at a Seamaster or a Seamaster GMT before getting the Portugieser.  I like both of those that you posted above.  There's a white faced GMT with blue hands that I liked a lot too.

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

Don't be skeered of the preowned market either.  I bought through a seller on watchuseek and it allowed me to buy much more watch than I would have otherwise - this one for basically 50% of retail.

spacer.png

Something about great minds.....

IWC.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, troph said:

Wait? I can wear one on each wrist ...? At the same time??!

Double wristing has an impressive/interesting history.  Princess Di, Castro and so on.  I’ve only done it on trips to Europe where I had to have Chicago time when the group was large and I didn’t have much help.  The wife has pulled it off a few times.  But she can get away w a lot more than my ass.  

33 minutes ago, G650 said:

Honestly, if you love a watch, you will wear it. I wear my VC Overseas literally every day and let my other watches collect dust.

Btw @troph I have the Yachtmaster Rhodium dial, it's an awesome looking watch in person.

Totally agree.  I beat the ever living shit out of my watches.  I’ll post the Patek 5980 pics sometime.  That first scratch is when it truly becomes ‘your’ watch.  Fuck people who buy them and don’t wear em.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Honestly, if you love a watch, you will wear it. I wear my VC Overseas literally every day and let my other watches collect dust.

Btw @troph I have the Yachtmaster Rhodium dial, it's an awesome looking watch in person.

it's currently first or second right now in the rolex line up.  I'd probably put a black silicone or leather band on it I think?  saw a video on it saying it's like the 1950s subs.  looking at it on a guy's wrist it looks really compact which is good.

Edited by troph

2 hours ago, G650 said:

you know, there is a captive market here if you are interested in selling that watch.  you'd need to dust it off first though to get the highest price.

Edited by troph

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Double wristing has an impressive/interesting history.  Princess Di, Castro and so on.  I’ve only done it on trips to Europe where I had to have Chicago time when the group was large and I didn’t have much help.  The wife has pulled it off a few times.  But she can get away w a lot more than my ass.  

What you need is a multi time zone watch, Sinn 103 UTC (2 Time zone tracking) is the perfect watch for the world traveler.

32 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

In the summer leather straps suck if there's humidity IMO.  Think about a rubber strap, with a deployment buckle maybe ?

Fair enough, I’d like to dress the watch down - rubber/silicone strap - where to get accessories like that for high end watches. Rolex dealers?

4 minutes ago, troph said:

Fair enough, I’d like to dress the watch down - rubber/silicone strap - where to get accessories like that for high end watches. Rolex dealers?

Just google rubber and leather watch straps there are many out there . You can get a good product in either material anywhere from $30-$60 IMO

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, brown water said:

Just ordered this GO on a stainless bracelet. Will probably add a leather and rubber band soon. Seems pretty flexible. What say the brethren?

669AB833-5FD4-4B77-A175-1EF05D248F6F.jpeg

F3BBBC5E-DE70-43B3-B8B3-893233AFD630.jpeg

Love a GO. One of the best detailed, and interestingly proportioned watches out there.  I've only seen 1 or 2 in the wild in 30 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/26/2021 at 11:37 AM, The Royal We said:

Yes, it's a bummer not to wear mine much.  I was in a suit a few times a week before Covid and would wear dress shirts the rest of the time.  I haven't put on a pair of slacks since February 2020, but that should change soon.

This was a major motivating factor in unloading my Milgauss up-thread.  The buy back with Bob's was completely painless if anyone's interested.  If I get back into the Rolex game with a DJ or DJII there's no way I'd ever buy new from an AD.  

I was talking with our nanny yesterday and brought up that I was going to look at an IWC moon and tide that afternoon. 

She casually mentions that her father (a retired and well know Austin area pediatrician) was recently moved to hospice and he was a big watch guy.  She had a bunch of his collection at her house and had no idea what to do with them or what they were.  

I told her to bring some of them by today and I’d take a look.  I about shit my  fucking pants when she pulled them out.  No joke, she had 4 vintage patek phillipes, a vintage grand seiko, and solid gold piaget emperador.  All in all, about $150k in watches, all with original receipts, all with original hand signed documents from the manufacturer.

That was just what she brought over for me to look at.  I told her to get a safety deposit box immediately and call her home owners policy holder to get a rider that covers the collection.  Seriously some fucking epic watches.

Here’s a couple of them

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I was talking with our nanny yesterday and brought up that I was going to look at an IWC moon and tide that afternoon. 

She casually mentions that her father (a retired and well know Austin area pediatrician) was recently moved to hospice and he was a big watch guy.  She had a bunch of his collection at her house and had no idea what to do with them or what they were.  

I told her to bring some of them by today and I’d take a look.  I about shit my  fucking pants when she pulled them out.  No joke, she had 4 vintage patek phillipes, a vintage grand seiko, and solid gold piaget emperador.  All in all, about $150k in watches, all with original receipts, all with original hand signed documents from the manufacturer.

That was just what she brought over for me to look at.  I told her to get a safety deposit box immediately and call her home owners policy holder to get a rider that covers the collection.  Seriously some fucking epic watches.

Here’s a couple of them

DEBD1575-1613-42C1-A01A-53C5C21E07C3.jpeg

8671BE45-E526-43D3-B441-6C3D123D43AD.jpeg

66769379-E106-4A34-B97B-3224061C1F62.jpeg

B810727A-F6A0-4DDF-8F19-878F5C27FB9A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2