2017-18 Dallas Mavericks: Bombing for Bamba

RexWilson

2 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

They did it! Successful season! So who do we want?

Bagley, Bamba, Jackson Jr, or Porter Jr seem the most likely assuming we don't get the first pick. However if we do I'd assume we take Ayton with the first pick because of our dire need for a Center...then probably go after Randle in the summer. 

Edited by Happy Gilmore

1 hour ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Knowing our ,luck, it'll probably be #4 or #5.

I really want JJJ or MPJ. Bamba is a good option, but he's also more raw than the other two. 

Ayton+Randle wouldn't be a bad option for the future, but I'm still worried about how much of the cap he'd be eating.

I think we're actually going to be one of the few teams with a decent amount of cap space this off-season. Maybe FA won't be a huge spending spree like it has been in previous years. Thank goodness Noel is an idiot and turned down $70 million. 

The Mavs will be playing preseason games vs the 76ers in China.

The Mavericks recently changed their Chinese name to translate to "Lone Ranger Heroes," since their Mavericks name in Chinese is translated as "Little Cows."

I can see it now, 2018 Dallas Mavericks Thread: Year of the Little Cows

"When I played in the 2008 Beijing Olympics, I witnessed China's enthusiasm for basketball firsthand," Nowitzki said in a statement. "It will be a fantastic experience for our franchise to play in China for the first time. We're also excited about the possibility of reconnecting with two great Chinese players who played for the Mavericks -- Wang Zhizhi and Yi Jianlian."

I am down to say Wang can rep the Mavs but fuck off with Yi

• Like 1

Probably need a general NBA offseason thread, but this is relevant to you guys. 

Wesley Matthews Exercises $18.6M Player Option With Mavericks

Dallas Mavericks guard Wesley Matthews has exercised his $18.6 million player option for the 2018-19 season, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Matthews will enter the final year of the four-year, $70 million contract he signed in 2015.

Matthews averaged 12.7 points, 3.1 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 33.8 minutes in 63 games for the Mavericks this season, providing steady wing play and a veteran presence.

The Mavericks finished the season 24-58, prioritizing the development of promising rookie Dennis Smith Jr. and veterans such as Harrison Barnes and Dwight Powell. Dallas will have the third-best odds for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 NBA draft lottery.

Matthews, 31, has played nine NBA seasons for Dallas, Portland and Utah. He emerged as an impressive two-way player in five seasons with the Trail Blazers from 2010-15.

Matthews suffered a season-ending stress fracture in his right leg March 12 and is expected to rehabilitate toward full health.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-wesley-matthews-exercises-18-6-million-option-stay-mavs-153138933.html

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

If Bamba goes higher than 5, that probably means JJJ or MPJ dropped. I'm not in love with Bagley, but he'd be a good pick-up as well. 

The Clippers are in prime position to jump the Mavs by trading 11 & 12.

Like everyone else I was pretty dissapointed when the pick number was unveiled but holy fuck balls, from the looks of Mavs Twitter and the extended Mavs media machine, you'd think the league just announced they're shutting the team down or something. Yeah, I'd say Ayton/Doncic are a pretty firm cut above at 1-2 but that 3-8 range looks very promising this year. There will be risk, sure, but at this point who can really project much difference in future success between Bagley/Bamba/JJJ/MPJ/Carter? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, D_Goose said:

Fucking 5th. Goddamn. Probably looking at Bamba or Wendell Carter I'd imagine.

Now Wendell Carter is the player that I'll be absolutely pissed about if we draft him. There's absolutely nothing positive about what he can do in today's game. He's a dime a dozen player in this NBA.  Even if Bamba never develops on the offensive end there's no way he's not a plus defender/rim protector sans injury. As for Porter I don't know what to think of him. He was the #1 player in the class coming into the season and was thought of as a playmaker, (which is really what the Mavs front office wants), but that back injury is hard to get over.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

1 hour ago, D_Goose said:

Like everyone else I was pretty dissapointed when the pick number was unveiled but holy fuck balls, from the looks of Mavs Twitter and the extended Mavs media machine, you'd think the league just announced they're shutting the team down or something. Yeah, I'd say Ayton/Doncic are a pretty firm cut above at 1-2 but that 3-8 range looks very promising this year. There will be risk, sure, but at this point who can really project much difference in future success between Bagley/Bamba/JJJ/MPJ/Carter? 

Exactly. Some of them are acting like Bamba is Hasheem Thabeet. And they're being absolute dicks if you disagree with the opinions they formed from the collective 5 games of college basketball they watched this year.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

It’s the safe play to be pessimistic holding the 5 pick. Look back at the last 20-30 years of 5 picks. Much more likely to land a 5-10PPG 3-5 RPG etc kind of guy than the superstar the Mavs need.

They may not be right this time but it isn’t like the feeling is without some merit based on draft history.