Jump to content
RollLeft

Galveston

Recommended Posts

Any recs for Mexican? Looking for something I guess semi-upscale (at least for Mexican food). I guess atmosphere less like Enchiladas y Mas, and more like Guero's or Matt's. 

Basically need something bougie with good food for an odd mixed group. Strong drinks for me is a bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Any recs for Mexican? Looking for something I guess semi-upscale (at least for Mexican food). I guess atmosphere less like Enchiladas y Mas, and more like Guero's or Matt's. 

Basically need something bougie with good food for an odd mixed group. Strong drinks for me is a bonus.

Your best best is probably going to be Taquilo's at 21st and Postoffice, catty corner from Rudy & Paco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Also where to drink near Jamaica Beach? 

Sandbar at the Sea Isle Marina

The Oaks Bar on Stewart Road

Woody's near the end of the Seawall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Any recs for Mexican? Looking for something I guess semi-upscale (at least for Mexican food). I guess atmosphere less like Enchiladas y Mas, and more like Guero's or Matt's. 

Basically need something bougie with good food for an odd mixed group. Strong drinks for me is a bonus.

Another option:

http://www.theoriginalgalveston.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sandbar at the Sea Isle Marina
The Oaks Bar on Stewart Road
Woody's near the end of the Seawall
Crazy Oaks, now its Bajma Oaks or something, basically it's your west end saltwater types. Shrimpers, deckhands, longshoremen, your salt of the earth types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dry Elbows said:

Sandbar at the Sea Isle Marina

The Oaks Bar on Stewart Road

Woody's near the end of the Seawall

 

Thanks. Been to the one at the Marina. Was cool, but remember being a bit blown away by the tab, something like $6 beer bottles and $12 shots. 

Which of the ones that you guys are suggesting in that area are the least skeezy? Got the women folk with us, including one pregnant one.

 

Checked out the Mexican places. Taquilo's looks like the best bet. Does look like the waiter is going to roll out with 37 pieces of flair and try to upsell me on fish bowl margaritas with 151 floaters, but that's alright. We have some in the crowd from small town Texas that will probably think that's high-fallutin. Appreciate all the suggestions.

Edited by BradInATX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Also where to drink near Jamaica Beach? 

Buck's West is right there in JB.  Food is meh, drinks great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Which of the ones that you guys are suggesting in that area are the least skeezy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ text box won't allow me to type for some reason.  do any of the west end places fit that description?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

^^^ text box won't allow me to type for some reason.  do any of the west end places fit that description?  

Not sure if you mean me, but Woody's and Buck's both look decent. Second pic I can find of the Oaks has a midget playing pool, so I mean, there's that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dewey said:
4 hours ago, Dry Elbows said:
Sandbar at the Sea Isle Marina
The Oaks Bar on Stewart Road
Woody's near the end of the Seawall

Crazy Oaks, now its Bajma Oaks or something, basically it's your west end saltwater types. Shrimpers, deckhands, longshoremen, your salt of the earth types.

Much better than your Salt Water Soul types./

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Tin cup on Stewart rd

That looks fucking great. Nice selection of draft beers ($1 Lone Star drafts too) and a driving range? Hell yeah. Looks to be about 20 minutes from where we're staying, but that's good enough for me as I won't be driving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not sure if you mean me, but Woody's and Buck's both look decent. Second pic I can find of the Oaks has a midget playing pool, so I mean, there's that.


You sound fancy. I recommend you head over to Bolivar so you can rub elbows with the elite at the Ship’s Wheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Player said:

 


You sound fancy. I recommend you head over to Bolivar so you can rub elbows with the elite at the Ship’s Wheel.

 

 

I think you mis-read my post. If you could guarantee me midgets playing pool, I'm there all day every day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watermens out west, they have a bar downstairs as well, usually some terrible band playing your favorite LS songs.

 

Whoever drives, make sure they're sober and dont fuck around with the JB police. It makes their year when they get to arrest out of towners, well, arrest anyone really. But more so the new blood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Watermens out west, they have a bar downstairs as well, usually some terrible band playing your favorite LS songs.

But the food is fucking terrible. One of the best views on the island, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
But the food is fucking terrible. One of the best views on the island, though. 
Yeah, there was a day when it was legit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking if terrible food, I couldn’t have been more disappointed with Benno’s. It took 30 minutes to order and then another hour to get our food, and the place wasn’t very crowded. The food was pretty meh on top of the wait. I won’t be going back there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dry Elbows said:

But the food is fucking terrible. One of the best views on the island, though. 

And on the occasion that it’s good, the service is horrible. Like, forget you’re even there horrible. Place has sooooooooo much potential especially with Slappy’s at Harborwalk being kaput. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just back from Brews Brothers on Strand. My son had a milk stout and I had a couple of citrusi IPAs to go along with the best burger on the island without a doubt. And the beertender is incredibly easy on the eyes (no pics, my Topo Chico drinking wife was with me).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've recently booked a trip w/ 6 other families to go to this beach house in/around Galveston.  I haven't been to Galveston in about 25 years and about the same with our fellow travelers.  There will be adults and kids from 3 months old to about 5/6 years old.  What are some good things to do in/around that house? Any decent places to get a bite?  I'm not sure if we're planning on having all meals at the house or if we're going to have a night out.  Is there a grocery store nearby or should we plan to arrive with all groceries in hand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nearest HEB is in Texas City, so, no, no grocery stores. Not that HEB is open.

 

Edit: should have clicked the link, you're damn near to rollover pass (rip?). Bring groceries. There's a Kroger on the island but the trip on the ferry might take almost as long as driving all the way around the bay.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Nearest HEB is in Texas City, so, no, no grocery stores. Not that HEB is open.

 

Edit: should have clicked the link, you're damn near to rollover pass (rip?). Bring groceries. There's a Kroger on the island but the trip on the ferry might take almost as long as driving all the way around the bay.

 

 

 

Speaking of Rollover, I'm going to miss that spot, a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always said that I'd stop for groceries if I was coming to the island for a weekend. Why mess with the stores here on the weekend? they can be mad houses, plus in your case, where you're going, when you get there, you just want to chill, not go to the store to load up.
If you have room for Coolers and extra space for dry goods, stop at the Heb at 646 and I45 on the when in.

Whatever else you need, get it at the Big Store which is close by the rent house. Stingaree is a good spot to eat, and I'm sure others will give some more ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Spur08 said:

We've recently booked a trip w/ 6 other families to go to this beach house in/around Galveston.  I haven't been to Galveston in about 25 years and about the same with our fellow travelers.  There will be adults and kids from 3 months old to about 5/6 years old.  What are some good things to do in/around that house? Any decent places to get a bite?  I'm not sure if we're planning on having all meals at the house or if we're going to have a night out.  Is there a grocery store nearby or should we plan to arrive with all groceries in hand?

The Big Store is a full service grocery store albeit a bit more pricey than HEB. They also have a whole bunch of other stuff in there as it’s also a hardware store. It’s actually a pretty cool place.

+1 for Stingaree. There are other restaurants but Stingaree would be my first choice. I hear Steve’s Landing is decent...

Also, this isn’t exactly Galveston and getting back and forth across the ferry may not be worth even trying depending on when you are going. I have seen wait times north of 2 hours in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wait for the ferry starting on Friday, maybe even Thursday depending on what weekend it is can be hours long. The alternative is going east before you get to Galveston and cutting down to Bolivar on the NE side. I've heard it's not bad and some prefer it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2018 at 11:19 PM, Dewey said:
On 7/19/2018 at 10:11 PM, huge said:

Even like that kings aren’t that good.

Blast to catch though.

Kings are fucking terrible.

If you boil kingfish filets in a crab boil and eat it with lemon and butter it’s fucking awesome.  Tastes like lobster.  I used to agree until I tried it like this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2019 at 4:31 PM, ftf82 said:

just back from Brews Brothers on Strand. My son had a milk stout and I had a couple of citrusi IPAs to go along with the best burger on the island without a doubt. And the beertender is incredibly easy on the eyes (no pics, my Topo Chico drinking wife was with me).

I agree, Brews Brothers is my current #1 burger. And they had Cigar City Jai Alai on tap last I was there. Not my #1 beer, but damn good and it's my staple whenever I visit Tampa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2019 at 8:36 AM, pacmanmakesitrain said:

The Big Store is a full service grocery store albeit a bit more pricey than HEB. They also have a whole bunch of other stuff in there as it’s also a hardware store. It’s actually a pretty cool place.

+1 for Stingaree. There are other restaurants but Stingaree would be my first choice. I hear Steve’s Landing is decent...

Also, this isn’t exactly Galveston and getting back and forth across the ferry may not be worth even trying depending on when you are going. I have seen wait times north of 2 hours in the summer.

This is correct - You could do all your shopping at the Big Store or use it as a fall-back if you wanted to haul groceries from home.  

Stingaree and Steve's Landing won't disappoint.  There are several other new(ish) places as well - everything is beach trash casual.

Take the kids crabbing along the intercoastal, fish at the cut or in the surf if she's flat, hunt shark teeth in the sand, shoot fire works on the beach.

You might look into renting a couple of golf carts for the group to ride up and down the beach.

From where you are staying (in my days we called that Caplen) doing something in Galveston should be considered a day-long event during the summer and especially on a weekend.  Caplen to Galveston is akin to being in Conroe and deciding to go eat inside the loop in Houston,  and......you are at the mercy of the wait at the ferry both ways.

Now, one thing you can do that the kids might like is to drive to the ferry early one day and park, then ride the ferry to Galveston and back.  That's easy as long as the ferry line isn't already stretched out and you can't get to the park/ride spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2018 at 5:13 PM, Hate said:

Speaking if terrible food, I couldn’t have been more disappointed with Benno’s. It took 30 minutes to order and then another hour to get our food, and the place wasn’t very crowded. The food was pretty meh on top of the wait. I won’t be going back there.

Sorry to hear that.  I consider this to be a lunch place, because in the evenings the line to order gets long.  The food is high quality in my humble opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you boil kingfish filets in a crab boil throw away the fish and drink it with lemon and butter it’s fucking awesome.  Tastes like lobster.  I used to agree until I tried it like this.  

 FIFY  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cut out the bloodline and smoke the fillet or some steaks, chop it fairly fine and mix it with a remoulade sauce. Grab some saltines and go to town.

goddamn y’all oughta know better than to waste any fish, including a pelagic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

cut out the bloodline and smoke the fillet or some steaks, chop it fairly fine and mix it with a remoulade sauce. Grab some saltines and go to town.

goddamn y’all oughta know better than to waste any fish, including a pelagic.

It's really good like this.  But have you had it boiled in a crab boil and then eaten with sauce and crackers?  It's outstanding.

Kingfish is otherwise terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any updates on good places to eat around Galveston? I'm headed down soon and the places I've enjoyed in previous years were Bennos, Cajun Greek, Black Pearl and Shrimp and Stuff. And if it's dog friendly that would be a plus. I think there are a couple of guys on this board that live in the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard good things about Fish Company Tacos on 23rd, thats all I got for fairly new places on the island, the rest of your list is still open, not sure about Black Pearl, but I'll assume its still kicking. As for dog friendly,  probably outside at Bennos, if dogs could spend money, the entire island would be open to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dewey said:

Heard good things about Fish Company Tacos on 23rd, thats all I got for fairly new places on the island, the rest of your list is still open, not sure about Black Pearl, but I'll assume its still kicking. As for dog friendly,  probably outside at Bennos, if dogs could spend money, the entire island would be open to them. 

Fish taco company is amazing, but it is NOT upscale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TPCJ007 said:

Any updates on good places to eat around Galveston? I'm headed down soon and the places I've enjoyed in previous years were Bennos, Cajun Greek, Black Pearl and Shrimp and Stuff. And if it's dog friendly that would be a plus. I think there are a couple of guys on this board that live in the area.

Rudy and pacos and her sister restaurant Vargas cut and catch are the two best high end restaurants on the island and will rival anything in Houston or Austin.  Paco is a character and will probably be manning the door of his namesake.  Cool dude, came to the country as a dishwasher and worked His way up  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Anything next to Moe's corner store isn't going to be upscale. 

Shit. I misread his question, though he was asking for upscale places. In that case, I highly recommend fish taco company. Lol. Great food  

Edited by Xian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also consider holding off going to restaurants until this virus dies off.
 

Mike dean, who owns Yagas and a few other places just announced he was closing back down after three of his employees tested positive. 

Per Facebook rumors it’s is currently spreading throughout the service industry down here.   So far mike is the only one with enough balls to do the right thing. 
 

Also our mayor just resigned last week. It was pretty much in protest of the state overturning local rules and forcing the island to reopen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we rented a house in Sea Isle for the week after the 4th.  Went last August and had the beach that far down the island virtually to ourselves.  Packing all of our food in for the week.  No restaurants.  Anyone ventured that far down and have reports of what we're in for this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...