Classic Car thread

TexasEd

I found a halogen headlight that should be considerably brighter than what’s in there now. It looks just like the stock light but supposed to be 50% brighter. Seems like it was Scott Drake that makes them. Any Surly wisdom before I buy these?

On 10/27/2020 at 5:51 PM, Anastasis said:

Shart kit actually sounds like it should be standard equipment.

Got some progress photos on the radio.  Looks like this thing is pretty close to done to me. Note proper date code F8TBZ in second pic. 

E15-CAE82-BE42-42-D1-8524-9605-E47-E6301

F6-EBB1-F2-6299-4-FA8-A0-F8-3-E5-EB695-E

CC845-F9-A-B328-4-CF4-8-E6-B-561454-FE08

What are you doing for the power source?  That updated wiring doesn't look like it will mesh with your existing harness.  Adapter? New run through firewall to battery?

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

What are you doing for the power source?  That updated wiring doesn't look like it will mesh with your existing harness.  Adapter? New run through firewall to battery?

i haven't pulled the console yet to look at what I am working with. Prior owner did a stereo upgrade so we'll see what wiring looks like back there. I am just going to expect the worst and hope for something closer to the best. 

Probably just need a good protected 12v, from being in most dashes of cars that old, there is plenty of metal back there to ground to.  Unless you are using original speaker wiring?  Not even sure it would work a lot of those systems used floating grounds.  My limited understanding of this retro radio is that they renew all internal components with current updated technology I believe.  Wish I lived closer, haven't worked on a good 12v project in a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/26/2020 at 9:23 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Sounds like our dads went to the same school of misplaced priorities, stubborn refusal to acknowledge inconvenient truths, and determined foolishness. 

His anti-squirrel birdfeeder modifications would make Rube Goldberg laugh at the absurdity... 

Yeah, my did would pick up rocks in Texas (granite and limestone) to haul back to Mississippi to build a rock wall but wouldn't fix a leak in his roof.

On 10/27/2020 at 7:51 PM, Anastasis said:

Shart kit actually sounds like it should be standard equipment.

Got some progress photos on the radio.  Looks like this thing is pretty close to done to me. Note proper date code F8TBZ in second pic. 

E15-CAE82-BE42-42-D1-8524-9605-E47-E6301

F6-EBB1-F2-6299-4-FA8-A0-F8-3-E5-EB695-E

CC845-F9-A-B328-4-CF4-8-E6-B-561454-FE08

1. Might agree on the shart kit after getting gall bladder removed.

2. I so want that mod but working on more fundamental items right now and can't justify the $600.  Would love to see yours working though.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/28/2020 at 2:46 PM, RMac5 said:

I found a halogen headlight that should be considerably brighter than what’s in there now. It looks just like the stock light but supposed to be 50% brighter. Seems like it was Scott Drake that makes them. Any Surly wisdom before I buy these?

Wiring harness relay.

Older wiring harnesses and headlight switches may not be able to take the current draw of those halogens.  get a headlight relay to provide power straight from the battery.  I got mine on Amazon.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TexasEd said:

1. Might agree on the shart kit after getting gall bladder removed.

2. I so want that mod but working on more fundamental items right now and can't justify the $600.  Would love to see yours working though.

Should be here on Saturday.  Here is the function testing video he sent me:

• Like 2

Looks like I might be changing out my motor mounts this weekend.  I want to try and do it without tearing everything apart.  We'll see how that goes.

My goal is t get new mounts in and see if it raises the front of the motor 1/2" to align the cooling fan inside the radiator shroud.

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Looks like I might be changing out my motor mounts this weekend.  I want to try and do it without tearing everything apart.  We'll see how that goes.

My goal is t get new mounts in and see if it raises the front of the motor 1/2" to align the cooling fan inside the radiator shroud.

Sounds tedious.  God speed.

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

This is the kind of job that got me out of classic cars. Good luck!

3 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Ed, I'd reconsidered this. I recently put in my 351c with the help of my BIL and it was a huge PIA. 600 lbs on a hoist being shimmied here and there, one on the ground, one above, bolt gets stuck, doesn't get in, cussing like there's no tomorrow, no bueno.

Wouldn't be better to play with the shroud and radiator support?  Drill some new holes if necessary.  Your call, but engine mount tolerances are all over the place and I'd rather get the fucker in and adjust as necessary via the opposite.

7 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Ed, I'd reconsidered this. I recently put in my 351c with the help of my BIL and it was a huge PIA. 600 lbs on a hoist being shimmied here and there, one on the ground, one above, bolt gets stuck, doesn't get in, cussing like there's no tomorrow, no bueno.

Wouldn't be better to play with the shroud and radiator support?  Drill some new holes if necessary.  Your call, but engine mount tolerances are all over the place and I'd rather get the fucker in and adjust as necessary via the opposite.

Yep, you can put in new mounts, and it could still be an issue. Adjust at the fan shroud mounting for a much more enjoyable weekend. 

The shroud cannot go any lower without trimming the bottom for clearance of the lower radiator hose and transmission cooling lines.  It may also take it lower than the mounting tabs will work with the mounting slots on the radiator.  

I'll look into it though.  Does sound easier to trim some plastic and find a new place to attach to the radiator than lifting the engine.  Was focused on kids/Halloween last weekend and did not borrow the engine lift yet so still not done.

6 hours ago, TexasEd said:

The shroud cannot go any lower without trimming the bottom for clearance of the lower radiator hose and transmission cooling lines.  It may also take it lower than the mounting tabs will work with the mounting slots on the radiator.  

I'll look into it though.  Does sound easier to trim some plastic and find a new place to attach to the radiator than lifting the engine.  Was focused on kids/Halloween last weekend and did not borrow the engine lift yet so still not done.

Thank God the Halloween frivolities intervened....  Cut plastic or spend spend hours adjusting an engine mounting not knowing if that would even fix the issue.  I know what I'd do first.

On 10/22/2020 at 11:57 AM, TwiceHorn said:

The removal of the rear bumper, while keeping the front creates a disturbing assymetry, imo.

@ 1st look, I thought it was a Mustang section from the windows back.  I can appreciate the work shown when on rotisserie & a shitload of engineering, but the look isn't my vibe... which seems odd because I totally dig a Restomod '65 Mustang (albeit without the cowl induction hood) or '67 Camaro.

64 Mustang from @classicmustangz - Dope ride!!! From @classics_culture: "'64  Mustang @musclecarzone #mustang #For… | Classic cars, Muscle cars, Classic  mustang

8 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

@ 1st look, I thought it was a Mustang section from the windows back.  I can appreciate the work shown when on rotisserie & a shitload of engineering, but the look isn't my vibe... which seems odd because I totally dig a Restomod '65 Mustang (albeit without the cowl induction hood) or '67 Camaro.

64 Mustang from @classicmustangz - Dope ride!!! From @classics_culture: "'64  Mustang @musclecarzone #mustang #For… | Classic cars, Muscle cars, Classic  mustang

Hate the hood, like the lowered stance, and the black paint job.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Assman said:

Maybe not a classic yet, but I've had a hard-on for GMT-400 single cab Z71s recently.  I'm trying to find one in show room condition with low mileage but that's proving to be tough.

1998_chevrolet_silverado_a-630x390.jpg

I have at least 2 friends that are in constant search for them as well. I have a single cab 800 that I got new when I was a senior in hs. Still have it.  Almost bought a single cab ‘98 obs when I bought the ‘00, but something queered the deal. Can’t recall. I do remember it was a manual, but that wasn’t it. It was green and sharp af.   I’ve beat on the ‘00 for 21 years now, and will be headed down to the deer lease as soon as I get back to TX.  Great truck and I’d still have a single cab if it wasn’t for the family and adulthood. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Assman said:

Maybe not a classic yet, but I've had a hard-on for GMT-400 single cab Z71s recently.  I'm trying to find one in show room condition with low mileage but that's proving to be tough.

1998_chevrolet_silverado_a-630x390.jpg

What the price range on these things?

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1392592/1995-chevrolet-silverado-for-sale-in-milford-michigan-48381

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Lol. That’s 6k more than the 2000 in same config (except 5.3) when I drive it off the lot.   I had a buddy that used to flip them from Texas to Illinois (his home state) for about 8.5-12.5 back in ‘05-06 timeframe.  They loved them up there. He’d take 2-3 back on his wedge when he’d go back home at Christmas/summer.  Extended cab flare side in that dark blue or dark green was the shit when I was in HS. 

Not classic-related, but I make damn sure to turn off the radio every couple of weeks while driving to see if I notice anything amiss.

I did it not too long ago while doing 85 on 20 coming back from Tyler.  I had this real muted whump whump, almost like subsonic, coming from the passenger side.  I was thinking it was a tire or something.

Then it occurred to me to crack the windows and roll them back up.  Took a couple of tries, but that stopped it.

I've had that before at lower speeds with window(s)/sunroof open, with some pretty dramatic resonant whapping and thumping.  Never quite like that, but it was the same phenomenon.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not classic-related, but I make damn sure to turn off the radio every couple of weeks while driving to see if I notice anything amiss.

I did it not too long ago while doing 85 on 20 coming back from Tyler.  I had this real muted whump whump, almost like subsonic, coming from the passenger side.  I was thinking it was a tire or something.

Then it occurred to me to crack the windows and roll them back up.  Took a couple of tries, but that stopped it.

I've had that before at lower speeds with window(s)/sunroof open, with some pretty dramatic resonant whapping and thumping.  Never quite like that, but it was the same phenomenon.

Take wind conditions into account here, too. I get a weird harmonic effect in my car between 90-100 but only on extremely windy days when traveling at certain angles relative to the wind. Took me a lot of frustration and documentation to finally nail it down... 

• Hook 'Em 1