Jump to content
Moby Ric

Yellowstone

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Only one day in Yellowstone in July?  You're not going to see much of the park.

I know that.  We don't have a ton of time to spend away, and my wife insisted on stopping.  We spent the night there as a kid and only really did one day in the park.

My plan is a hike along the canyon, check out some thermals, and be on our way.  I think we can get that in in one day; or no?  It will be a weekday if that helps any.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

I know that.  We don't have a ton of time to spend away, and my wife insisted on stopping.  We spent the night there as a kid and only really did one day in the park.

My plan is a hike along the canyon, some thermals, and on our way.  I think we can get that in in one day; or no?  It will be a weekday if that helps any.

I don't think weekdays matter much that time of year.  If you get going early in the morning, you could probably do that.  But by early, I mean leaving Jackson by 5 or 6 in the morning.  You're almost 2 hours south of the park from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

I don't think weekdays matter much that time of year.  If you get going early in the morning, you could probably do that.  But by early, I mean leaving Jackson by 5 or 6 in the morning.  You're almost 2 hours south of the park from there.

We're staying in butt fuck nowhere to the east of the park the day before.  I had planned on getting up real early and being there when the gates open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We're staying in butt fuck nowhere to the east of the park the day before.  I had planned on getting up real early and being there when the gates open.

early is the way to go. and keep in mind if you're entering via the southeast entrance it's about 30 - 45 minutes just to get around the lake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I know that.  We don't have a ton of time to spend away, and my wife insisted on stopping.  We spent the night there as a kid and only really did one day in the park.

My plan is a hike along the canyon, check out some thermals, and be on our way.  I think we can get that in in one day; or no?  It will be a weekday if that helps any.

You better come over this way and hit the trails with me, bruh, else I'm gonna drop a truckload of thrips on your acreage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Booked a few days in Jackson in July the other day.  Going to road trip out, retracing the route we took when I was a kid.  A day in Yellowstone, a day in Grand Teton, and a day in the Black Hills on the way back.  Really looking forward to it.
We're going to do the hike either to Surprise/Ampitheater lakes, or to Cleft Falls in the adjacent valleys.  Anyone done these before?
Subscribed. Yellowstone and the Tetons are my summer trip this year. Me, wife, my in laws (the chill ones) should be fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stayed in Driggs at an airbnb place a couple nights last September when we visited GTNP.  Wish I'd known about the airport recs before we went.  Ate one night at a Mexican place (Agave), which was alright.  O'Rourkes was pretty good for breakfast -- big portions.  That's all I got.   
We are staying in Driggs too, how did it work out for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've fished with WorldCast Anglers, and they were great.  For a beginner, I suggest doing a trip on a drift boat.  Can be you, the guide, and one other person.  Easy roll casting.  My uncle and I probably caught 70 fish the day we did that.  You also get to see a lot of beautiful country.
https://www.worldcastanglers.com/
I think I'm gonna do this with my FIL. Did you bring your own gear or use theirs? Think I'll have to go borrow a few sage rods from dad. . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

You better come over this way and hit the trails with me, bruh, else I'm gonna drop a truckload of thrips on your acreage.

How far are you from the park?

I haven't decided if I want to bring my bike with or not.  My wife doesn't mountain bike so any time I'm doing it would be in addition to things she wants to do together.  She does have a tendency to sleep in, so that gives me a way to kill the extra hour she sleep plus the time it takes her to do make up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BearSchlong said:
On 6/26/2019 at 4:59 PM, Carl Spackler said:
Stayed in Driggs at an airbnb place a couple nights last September when we visited GTNP.  Wish I'd known about the airport recs before we went.  Ate one night at a Mexican place (Agave), which was alright.  O'Rourkes was pretty good for breakfast -- big portions.  That's all I got.   

We are staying in Driggs too, how did it work out for you?

As Carl already mentioned, hit up the airport restaurant in Driggs for lunch. Also, Forage is very, very good as is Teton Thai. Drive down Bates Rd., going West, and there is a good chance you can see bald eagles and maybe a moose or two. Everytime we are in town we go down that road just to see. Further south of town is S Bates Rd., also a good place to spot moose in the willows.

Should you go to Victor I would recommend stopping at Victor Emporium for a huckleberry milkshake. Pretty tasty. 

My in-laws have a place in Jackson and my FIL figured out to stay for 3 months over the summer. I am going up at least twice this year to get out of the humidity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

As Carl already mentioned, hit up the airport restaurant in Driggs for lunch. Also, Forage is very, very good as is Teton Thai. Drive down Bates Rd., going West, and there is a good chance you can see bald eagles and maybe a moose or two. Everytime we are in town we go down that road just to see. Further south of town is S Bates Rd., also a good place to spot moose in the willows.

Should you go to Victor I would recommend stopping at Victor Emporium for a huckleberry milkshake. Pretty tasty. 

My in-laws have a place in Jackson and my FIL figured out to stay for 3 months over the summer. I am going up at least twice this year to get out of the humidity.

Yep, Teton Thai and the place in Victor were both recommended according to the research I did before my trip, but we didn't end up having time to hit either place.  There are also huckleberry shakes to be had at Corner Drug in Driggs.  There's also a brewery in Victor (Grand Teton Brewing) that's supposed to be pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BearSchlong said:
On 6/26/2019 at 2:59 PM, Carl Spackler said:
Stayed in Driggs at an airbnb place a couple nights last September when we visited GTNP.  Wish I'd known about the airport recs before we went.  Ate one night at a Mexican place (Agave), which was alright.  O'Rourkes was pretty good for breakfast -- big portions.  That's all I got.   

We are staying in Driggs too, how did it work out for you?

It was fine.  It's a bit of a drive after a day of ramming around GTNP, but the part of the drive going over Teton Pass is pretty (and steep).  We found a place in Driggs on airbnb that worked out fine.  We wanted to stay someplace that was calmer and more laid back than Jackson, and Driggs definitely fits that bill.  It was also a hell of a lot cheaper, plus it put us closer to our return flight home since we were flying out of Idaho Falls.  There are definitely fewer bar and restaurant options than Jackson, but that didn't bother us because we are olds and weren't going to be partaking in the Jackson nightlife anyway.  GTNP is spectacular -- you're going to have a great time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We booked our trip for Boise/Yellowstone for the end of July. Three days in Yellowstone and three in Boise. We got an Airbnb in Emigrant, MT. I see recs for the south end and west end. Anything to do in Gardiner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We booked our trip for Boise/Yellowstone for the end of July. Three days in Yellowstone and three in Boise. We got an Airbnb in Emigrant, MT. I see recs for the south end and west end. Anything to do in Gardiner?

What parts of Boise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Subscribed. Yellowstone and the Tetons are my summer trip this year. Me, wife, my in laws (the chill ones) should be fun.

My wife, kids, and in-laws are heading to the Tetons in a couple of weeks for 4 nights. I can’t go cause of work, so get the house to myself. Can’t tell who got the better deal as I do want to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NIUHuskies said:

We booked our trip for Boise/Yellowstone for the end of July. Three days in Yellowstone and three in Boise. We got an Airbnb in Emigrant, MT. I see recs for the south end and west end. Anything to do in Gardiner?

Emigrant is beautiful.  Absolutely love Paradise Valley.  I’d recommend floating a section on the Yellowstone that time of year and throwing hoppers forvsome big browns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 6:44 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

How far are you from the park?

I haven't decided if I want to bring my bike with or not.  My wife doesn't mountain bike so any time I'm doing it would be in addition to things she wants to do together.  She does have a tendency to sleep in, so that gives me a way to kill the extra hour she sleep plus the time it takes her to do make up.

Where are you staying east of the park?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:


Cody. Just for a night

You will be 2 hours from the loop roads. Kanye likes the Cody steakhouse, greater than zero chance you see him if you dine there. 
should I take offense that a farmer from Iowa is calling my town bfe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You will be 2 hours from the loop roads. Kanye likes the Cody steakhouse, greater than zero chance you see him if you dine there.  should I take offense that a farmer from Iowa is calling my town bfe?

 

It’s a compliment. I have distinct memories of riding into the park from the east as a kid in the 90’s. It’s wild, beautiful country. Also, at the time of the original post, my room was in Worland. Cody had been sold out, but eventually I found a room there.

 

I’m not a big Kanye fan. We’ll be rolling in about supper time, and plan on leaving by 4AM. Thinking Cody’s best burger and a couple of cold ones will be in order. Got a rec?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also really like Driggs. Spent a few nights there when doing the Tetons. High was like 77 in July. Decent Tex Mex (or maybe just because we were hungry from hiking - I swear there was dusting of parmesan on my beans, but it was good enough and they had a bouncy house for the kids). I always laugh at the amount of potatoes they shove into TexMex up in the UT/ID/MT/WY area. The grocery store is pretty great for being in the middle of nowhere. I don't fish, but I imagine it would be great fly fishing. Drove into Driggs for the first time coming from Yellowstone. It was dark, one of those late afternoon summer storms. Kids and wife were asleep. Isbell's Traveling Alone came on as I neared the top of the pass. Bliss. 

Yellowstone is my favorite place on earth. I can't imagine blitzing it in a single day. Better than never seeing it, I guess. I remember pulling off a road just past a little bridge, I forget why. Maybe so the kids could stand on a pile of snow or something. There is snow in the passes through July. Anyway, under the bridge was a steaming fumerole. Not even marked on the map or had a sign. But a steaming, gurgling portal to hell itself was there, belching sulfur and a rivulet of hot water made pink and red and orange mats of thermophile algae. Like there so many crazy geological features that what we would have built an entire state park in Texas around is basically forgotten. Hot springs are amazing. Geyers are fucking double amazing. Mud pots, fumeroles (dragon's mouth - holy shit) are amazing. Flowstone deposits are cool as hell. You'll be walking along some boardwalk and a geyser will erupt and holy jesus fuck! Maybe it erupts every couple hours, but if you walk by hundreds there's a good chance you'll see one go that only does it every week or so. And you saw that, something that might just be a little placid spring for hundreds of other folks. The evolution of the springs and fields is also amazing (article link below). You may come back a few yeas later and an entire new area is becoming thermally active, and yet an old area is losing its fizz. 

And just when you get mildly used to those, you realize you are in the middle of this gorgeous boreal wilderness. The river and gorge and waterfall is tremendous. Taking a picnic along the Snake and swimming in a hot spring. Washing your hiking sweat off in the Boiling River swimming area. Elk and buffalo and bears. So many bears. And wolves. Hell, even Thermopolis is pretty rad, IMO. The lake is so pretty, and you gotta love the thermal features under the water. Seeing where the old wildfires were, and where the new growth is. Repeating the same dad lecture to the kids on how interesting the Continental Divide is every time you cross it (you cross it so many times). Hydrological basins are interesting as hell. It's super weird that the HEB on Spicewood drains to the Brazos, but one block over the storm drain goes to the Colorado. Its like that, only a different fucking ocean. One day I'm gonna hike to Two Ocean Pass, eat an edible, and figure it all out man. "Hey kids, were not in the Pacific hyrdological basin. That's a different ocean from back home. Oh wait, back over the divide. Now a cup of water poured here will flow all the way to the Gulf of Mexico!" They hate that, except that they secretly love that. 

If you are there for 5-6 days you can take some hikes to geyser fields and despite the crush of buses and whatnot, you might be the only people there for a couple of hours. 

I even (especially) love the signs with the parboiled child fucking dieing. 

Here's a crazy article that makes me want to get in the truck, drive 24 hours, get a backpacking permit and fucking go:

https://www.usgs.gov/center-news/yellowstones-newest-thermal-area-close-and-personal-visit?qt-news_science_products=4#qt-news_science_products

And shit, I forgot Quake Lake! That shit is lit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It’s a compliment. I have distinct memories of riding into the park from the east as a kid in the 90’s. It’s wild, beautiful country. Also, at the time of the original post, my room was in Worland. Cody had been sold out, but eventually I found a room there.

 

I’m not a big Kanye fan. We’ll be rolling in about supper time, and plan on leaving by 4AM. Thinking Cody’s best burger and a couple of cold ones will be in order. Got a rec?

Trailhead is where I would eat though I’ve never had a burger there. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we're going to hike Avalanche Peak.  Originally thought Mt Washburn would be cool, but it looks like you're basically walking a road to the top, and the access road going north from the canyon is currently closed.  Avalanche looks steep, but short, and some really cool views.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

@CleverNickname the Victor Emporium has some damn good milkshakes too. 
 

I’ll be in Jackson just over a week from now. Spending 2-3 weeks hiking around Teton and Yellowstone. 

Park is near empty and the animals are all over the place. People are posting grizzly sightings like they are bison. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Park is near empty and the animals are all over the place. People are posting grizzly sightings like they are bison. 

posting where? somewhere publicly accessible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Park is near empty and the animals are all over the place. People are posting grizzly sightings like they are bison. 

I'm going up to Yellowstone in a month.  I suspect it'll be quite a lot busier by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

 

I'm going up to Yellowstone in a month.  I suspect it'll be quite a lot busier by then.

We have friends coming up right after 4july so I’m sure we will be in the park several days around the same time. If you have time, make the beartooth Highway drive as well from cook city to red lodge. 
 

my understanding is that all of the in-park lodging is closed for the season, so that could really effect the amount of park traffic even at peak times. A friend was there a couple days ago and said there were maybe 20 cars at old faithful and that’s unheard of for June. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cabins that have private bathrooms are open (I’ll be in one of them in August), and I have seen that will be that way for the rest of 2020. That’s probably 80% of the total rooms unavailable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We have friends coming up right after 4july so I’m sure we will be in the park several days around the same time. If you have time, make the beartooth Highway drive as well from cook city to red lodge. 
 

my understanding is that all of the in-park lodging is closed for the season, so that could really effect the amount of park traffic even at peak times. A friend was there a couple days ago and said there were maybe 20 cars at old faithful and that’s unheard of for June. 

Yeah--we are going to be camping and we were able to get a spot at the Madison Campground just last month, which indicates that there is probably lower-than-usual demand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So at the campgrounds (both at Yellowstone and Glacier), I understand that there are fire rings.  Does anyone have any idea how big they are?  

I'd like to get a grate to grill over the campfire, but I can't figure out how big it would need to be.  Or is there some other product that I should be using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fire on the north fork about halfway between Cody and the East gate. Keep an eye on it if you plan to drive that road any time soon. 
Already? Seems early for fires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Fire on the north fork about halfway between Cody and the East gate. Keep an eye on it if you plan to drive that road any time soon. 

How soon is soon?  We're just shy of a month from heading out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

How soon is soon?  We're just shy of a month from heading out.

If it’s still going in a month that’s real bad news. 
 

cigarette out the window btw, right at the entrance to the Bill Cody ranch which is now toast. Need to save the other places near it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Al_4_ISU you can still stay in Cody and then take the Chief Joseph scenic highway over dead Indian pass to Cooke city,MT and go in the northeast (silver) gate. That will put you into lamar valley instead of the lake Yellowstone/fishing bridge area. 
 

or you could try to move accommodations to Cooke city but that place is smaller tha. Cody. 
 

dead Indian is a great drive though. 
 

or stay in red lodge, MT and drive the beartooth Highway pass to Cooke city.  
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2020 at 8:09 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 6/13/2020 at 6:17 PM, Pato del Muerto said:
Fire on the north fork about halfway between Cody and the East gate. Keep an eye on it if you plan to drive that road any time soon. 

Already? Seems early for fires.

It was a very dry winter in the area. We take that road to ski every weekend and most weekends it didn’t have any snow cover at all, or not until it got way up high near the entrance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It was a very dry winter in the area. We take that road to ski every weekend and most weekends it didn’t have any snow cover at all, or not until it got way up high near the entrance. 
Damn. Must have been a dry winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2020 at 9:42 PM, NIUHuskies said:

Have an Airbnb on Broadway.

Nice and close to Boise St. Hopefully thing will be opening back up again around that time as we are shutting some things back down on Wednesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Nice and close to Boise St. Hopefully thing will be opening back up again around that time as we are shutting some things back down on Wednesday.

I assume breweries are considered bars in Idaho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NIUHuskies said:

I assume breweries are considered bars in Idaho.

Depends on if they serve food as of right now or not. From what I was told tonight they will be able to submit a plan for special approval to open should they not serve food. Either way Bittercreak Ale House is better than any brewery in Boise for beer and food. Also close to Broadway is Bier Thirty in Bown Crossing, but their inventory has take a real hit since covid as the distributors have been struggling to bring in new product. 

Also my guess is that the plan will be to reopen everything again on July 15th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decent number of restaurants in WY and ID in Teton County are take out only. Most of these restaurants will let you use their outdoor seating though. You just won't be waited on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...