Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

Speaking of deal sites, I ran across one a couple months ago that you sign up for, and then buy stuff from the sites affiliate links to the major outdoor retailers like backcountry, moosejaw, etc. They then return a portion of the money they get from the affiliate links back to you. I tried looking for it again a few weeks back, but can't seem to find it. Anybody here know of what I speak about?

Active Junky. I haven never actually used it. Probably should.

• Like 1

To change the subject.. I think the Eureka Timberline 2 is one of the most versatile and perfect tent designs ever. You can dial in the cross ventilation from completely closed to all the way open to the ground and everything in between. Works great in the heat or cold. Simple, tough, stable, weather resistant.. the only downside is weight.  If someone made a lightweight version I think it would be a perfect backpacking tent. QED

thoughts on this from you hammock campers? I’ve been drooling over a Hennessey for a few years, but this looks easier to set up. I have a cheap amazon hammock right now with an integrated bug net, but it is not near as comfy as my regular eno. 

Edited by UnivTex34

Pretty much all the hammock makers have a similar set up. That one may be lighter though.   My kid has the jungle nest from ENO.  Looks real similar to that with the bug net and rain fly all Incorporated. 

I don’t like hammock sleeping. I’ve tried it a few nights and I just can’t get comfortable. I’m a stomach sleeper.   And most systems end up weighing no less than a two-man tent and aren’t much quicker to set up.  Seems like I have more options with a tent. 

All that being said, I’m still a total gear geek and I was thinking about trying one of these. 

Edited by Your Mom

Yeah, the Jungle nest is comparable to my cheap-o. Its ok, but not perfect. The main problem is the bug net solutions for those, they droop and get in your way, I like how the Kammock has the lines down to the tarp stakes to keep it open. Also, you are spot on with most about set up, and that is what excites me the most about this one. They show set up is crazy quick. Either way, my cheap-o is about used up, so I went ahead and backed. 

On 2/10/2019 at 1:16 PM, DougO said:

Probably nobody cares, but in case there are other poors out there looking for something cheaper, Columbia is having a pretty nice sale on some of their stuff. I ordered a pair of these just for starters to have something cheapish to play around with and get my feet wet, hopefully without getting my feet wet. I must have ordered the last pair of size 12 in these.

https://www.columbia.com/mens-newton-ridge-plus-ii-suede-waterproof-boot-1746411.html?Quantity=1&source=cart&dwvar_1746411_variationColor=213&uuid=e7008129a6ec9ddbf9d1ad3f66&dwvar_1746411_variationSize=12

I found the deal on slickdeals or one of those things. If you sign up for their rewards deal for free you get another 20% off on top of the sale price. They have some nice jackets and stuff on sale, too.

I got my Columbia Newton Ridge Plus II hikers yesterday and have been wearing them to get them broken in. I'm pretty impressed for the price I paid, which was about $48 total. Heal cushion is very nice, arch support is adequate, toe box is good, they feel really stable and look great. Today I went birding on an old golf course for about an hour, a couple of miles, and the feet feel good. The only slight irritation I feel is in the ankles because I'm not used to wearing any kind of top above the ankle bone. They seem like a great option for occasional use for the poors, until I get serious enough to invest in a higher tier shoe.

I don't have time for an overnight trip at the moment, but I want to take a day trip up to Wichita Mountains NWR. I'm about a 3-hour drive away in FW, so I should be able to wake up early and have 6-8 hours to hike. I'd be most interested in wildlife and elevation change since I don't get much of that down here. Any recs for a good trail that meets that description?

On 2/13/2019 at 7:01 PM, UnivTex34 said:

thoughts on this from you hammock campers? I’ve been drooling over a Hennessey for a few years, but this looks easier to set up. I have a cheap amazon hammock right now with an integrated bug net, but it is not near as comfy as my regular eno. 

Which cheap one do you have? I ask because I have an Everest with the integrated bug net. I like it, but it's the only camping hammock I've had, so I was wondering if you were talking about that one not being nearly as comfortable as your Eno.

13 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Which cheap one do you have? I ask because I have an Everest with the integrated bug net. I like it, but it's the only camping hammock I've had, so I was wondering if you were talking about that one not being nearly as comfortable as your Eno.

It was an Amazon deal of the day, so no idea on brand

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking my two kids (7- and 10-yo boys) camping with the Cub Scouts next weekend. I want to get a self-inflating sleeping pad - has anyone used this one? Or have any others to recommend? We'll be car camping at Lake Georgetown and the weather shouldn't be crazy cold or hot, but I do want to get into backpacking soon so it would be nice if the pad I got would work for backpacking.

Edited by austingirl

That pad will work for backpacking, but just be aware that you will be replacing it fairly soon if you go on many trips. It is oversized and pretty heavy and has no R value listed from a quick glance at the description.

For backpacking you will pretty quickly want gear to be as light weight as possible so you can go farther quickly. So a pad that is just wide enough and that tapers around foot end weighs less and makes your pack that much more comfortable. In the same vein, you want a pad that has an R value (insulation) for cooler weather. The insulation in your sleeping bag underneath your body is compressed when you lie on it, so it doesn't have air space to trap warm air and basically doesn't do much. So you need a sleeping pad to have some insulating properties if you want to camp in anything but the summer.

• Like 2

That pad will work for backpacking, but just be aware that you will be replacing it fairly soon if you go on many trips. It is oversized and pretty heavy and has no R value listed from a quick glance at the description.
For backpacking you will pretty quickly want gear to be as light weight as possible so you can go farther quickly. So a pad that is just wide enough and that tapers around foot end weighs less and makes your pack that much more comfortable. In the same vein, you want a pad that has an R value (insulation) for cooler weather. The insulation in your sleeping bag underneath your body is compressed when you lie on it, so it doesn't have air space to trap warm air and basically doesn't do much. So you need a sleeping pad to have some insulating properties if you want to camp in anything but the summer.

I agree with this.

Good stuff is more expensive of course, but this pad is a pretty good starter pad.

It’s over twice the price but it is a much better product and has an R Value of 4.4.

Klymit Insulated Static V Lite Sleeping Pad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UW7LEOW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_F93ECb5FYQ50R

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 1:25 AM, Anton Chigurh said:

I agree with this.

Good stuff is more expensive of course, but this pad is a pretty good starter pad.

It’s over twice the price but it is a much better product and has an R Value of 4.4.

Klymit Insulated Static V Lite Sleeping Pad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UW7LEOW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_F93ECb5FYQ50R

My wife and I bought this exact pad this past October and it was more comfy and weighed way less than my old thermarest.  Amazon had it for ~$60-65 back then so i’d look around for deals on it.  

Massdrop has a similar one for about $60 right now, but most of the sizes are gone.

Thank you both! I may get the Klymit one for me and get the other one for the kids.

My wife and I bought this exact pad this past October and it was more comfy and weighed way less than my old thermarest.  Amazon had it for ~$60-65 back then so i’d look around for deals on it.  

Massdrop has a similar one for about $60 right now, but most of the sizes are gone.

Something else I forgot is that they sell refurbished ones on their eBay store (likely have a small repair or rewelded plastic seam).

I have heard as long as it’s not ridiculous they will accept a lower offer too.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323141972732

I bet you could offer $40 on this and get it. Hell, get two of them and you’re set.

• Like 4

On 3/5/2019 at 10:11 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

Something else I forgot is that they sell refurbished ones on their eBay store (likely have a small repair or rewelded plastic seam).

I have heard as long as it’s not ridiculous they will accept a lower offer too.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323141972732

I bet you could offer $40 on this and get it. Hell, get two of them and you’re set.

Thank you! I ended up getting the Klymit for me and the Freelands for the kids. Inflated both for a test run before we leave this weekend, and wow, the difference in comfort is substantial. Can't wait to use it for real. Thanks again for the rec.

• 3 weeks later...

Just used my dividend and 20% off coupon to get my tent for the PCT.  This was my last big piece of gear, not including sat beacon, bear can, ice axe, and microspikes/crampons.

Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1.

668773bc-c350-4344-b0ee-a05f4b1c3e10?siz

Also, I think I am revising my start date.  I had originally been shooting for April 6, 2020.  Of course a lot of this depends on the permit as well.  Came across an article (blog post) espousing the logic of starting in March instead of the more common mid-April approach.  Makes sense to me and I would love to not be in the "bubble", not to mention being able to get a permit more easily.

https://www.hikerbeta.com/articles/2017/10/10/april-is-the-worst-time-to-start-the-pacific-crest-trail-heres-why

Spent the week of Spring Break out at Garner State Park, and we had some pretty great weather for it.  It was still pretty cold to be swimming the Frio, but I did it anyway.

Since Austin area schools had such a late Spring Break, it was actually pretty empty.  The staffers said it was a lot busier the previous week, but still nothing like the summer craziness.

17 hours ago, utee94 said:

Spent the week of Spring Break out at Garner State Park, and we had some pretty great weather for it.  It was still pretty cold to be swimming the Frio, but I did it anyway.

Since Austin area schools had such a late Spring Break, it was actually pretty empty.  The staffers said it was a lot busier the previous week, but still nothing like the summer craziness.

You taking the airstream down to PINS soon?  My brother and I are planning a trip down there the first weekend in May.

5 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You taking the airstream down to PINS soon?  My brother and I are planning a trip down there the first weekend in May.

Sadly, I sold the Airstream last summer. However, I expect we'll head down to PINS in our new trailer sometime in the next 2 months, maybe Easter or Memorial Day (or whynotboth?) :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody been to Lassen Volcanic NP? I'm considering a long weekend trip to visit my brother in Sacramento and possibly making the 3-hour drive up there for 3 days/2 nights of camping in late June. I would love to try a relatively tame backpacking route, as I bought a pack and jet boil a couple summers ago. Unfortunately, my previous backpacking plans always seem to hit a snag so they sadly remain essentially unused. I have a good amount of experience camping, including some primitive hike-ins, but no multi-night trips in wilderness. I know established campgrounds fill up early in Cali and I won't know until pretty last minute if I'll be able to make it so I don't want to make any reservations. I also like the idea of a relatively uncrowded park, so Lassen seemed like a good choice. Thoughts or recs on specific trails in the park or elsewhere within 3 hours of Sacramento would be great.

Just now, Born to Run said:

Anyone have thoughts or a good primer on trekking polls?
Planning on doing Raes Loop portion of JMT this summer and I like the idea of greater stability and maybe taking some strain off my knees.

I love trekking poles, especially for downhills.  It's kinda hard to go wrong, so it just depends on what you want to spend really.  Gossamer Gear LT5s are probably the lightest you'll find, but they are pricey.  I have a pair of Black Diamonds that are great.  You may want to think about a pair that folds up as opposed to extends, for packability purposes.

I have the BD Ergo Cork Red Aluminum ones. They’re great. I have upgraded most things but these have been good and are only an ounce or so heavier than their Alpine Carbon ones.

The cheap Cascade Mountain Tech ones are amazon are actually pretty good too and they’re only like $40 or something for real Carbon. They aren’t as light as even the BD aluminum though.

2 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I have the BD Ergo Cork Red Aluminum ones. They’re great. I have upgraded most things but these have been good and are only an ounce or so heavier than their Alpine Carbon ones.

These are what I have as well.  I love them, but my wife's REI pair that folds in three pieces are much smaller and easier to fit in a suitcase when flying.  That's my only complaint.

These are what I have as well.  I love them, but my wife's REI pair that folds in three pieces are much smaller and easier to fit in a suitcase when flying.  That's my only complaint.

Yeah, when I fly with camping/hiking stuff they always just barely fit in my duffel bag even when fully collapsed.

One other thing I’d recommend to someonebiuing poles is get them with cork handles regardless of which ones you get.

Yeah, when I fly with camping/hiking stuff they always just barely fit in my duffel bag even when fully collapsed.

One other thing I’d recommend to someonebiuing poles is get them with cork handles regardless of which ones you get.

Look at this idiot who can’t spell.

Also yes, get flick locks. Highly superior to twist locks.

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Fuck it we are heading out to Colorado Bend this afternoon.  Severe right now, but supposed to taper off in the afternoon and evening.  Muddy dogs will determine camping viability.  Will post pics.

Ha, well, just as we left the driveway it started fucking dumping.  It's actually clear out in Bend, but the drive out there would have been treacherous.  Gotta know when to bail.  Going to hike it tomorrow instead with no camping.

Anybody use any of the larger (6-person) Kelty tents?  We are needing a larger tent (2 adults and 2 kids) as we are camping once again, and especially with our kid being a Cub Scout.   We don’t want to shell out REI money right now, as we are only camping 6-7 times a year.   The Kelty tents are within our budget and have solid ratings.   

I have this Coleman for our family Cub Scout campouts, it's made it through 3 years of Scout camping with no problems so far.  I also usually set it up next to our RV when hit state parks and such, as an extra shelter and/or getaway for the kids.

GUEST_4404378f-230c-48ce-ae7d-f6f80b651b

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody use any of the larger (6-person) Kelty tents?  We are needing a larger tent (2 adults and 2 kids) as we are camping once again, and especially with our kid being a Cub Scout.   We don’t want to shell out REI money right now, as we are only camping 6-7 times a year.   The Kelty tents are within our budget and have solid ratings.   
I know its a late reply but i love Kelty...had 2 man and 4 man ...never had a leak and still going strong.
Big bend,yosemite, yellowstone, nebraska, glacier,multiple colorado spots,etc....

• 2 weeks later...