Car Accident Insurance Action

Was in my first wreck today.  Got plowed from behind (that's what she said) at a stoplight. Was actually hit by the guy the texter hit.  It was stoplight, car 1, car 2 (us), car 3, and the at-fault car 4 who was texting and slammed into the back of car 3, who hit us, and then our front bumper was fucked by car 1's hitch (no damage to car 1).

Police were called. Report filed. 100% 4's fault (we are not a no-fault state).  They have all his info as do I.

What's Surly's advice and things to watch out for?  I called my insurance to let them know and 4 already started a claim with his co, Travelers.

Is it best to go through my co or his? All 4 of us plan to visit Dr (wife, me, 8yo 8 month old) - I asked his adjuster what his PIP is, but no call back.  I know with medical you always have to think about current and future expenses.  Any more advice? 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by BlueGreySky
9 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

Was in my first wreck today.  Got plowed from behind (that's what she said) at a stoplight. Was actually hit by the guy the texter hit.  It was stoplight, car 1, car 2 (us), car 3, and the at-fault car 4 who was texting and slammed into the back of car 3, who hit us, and then our front bumper was fucked by car 1's hitch (no damage to car 1).

Police were called. Report filed. 100% 4's fault (we are not a no-fault state).  They have all his info as do I.

What's Surly's advice and things to watch out for?  I called my insurance to let them know and 4 already started a claim with his co, Travelers.

Is it best to go through my co or his? All 4 of us plan to visit Dr (wife, me, 8yo 8 month old) - I asked his adjuster what his PIP is, but no call back.  I know with medical you always have to think about current and future expenses.  Any more advice? 

Thanks in advance. 

With 3 cars you might run into a limits issue with his insurance. I always recommend to go through your insurance and let them subrogate. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

1. Go get checked out by the doctor, if anyone is hurt, hire a lawyer and let them take care of it.

2. If no one is hurt then get your car fixed (paid for by insurance) and move on.

3. Don't listen to anyone else's BS on this thread.

4. Profit. 

Thanks, Hank. 

I've been licensed in most of the U.S. During my career,  but am rusty on most states besides TX.  What state are you in?  The chain of coverage should look something like this:

driver 4's liability, when that is exhausted,

your uninsured/underinsured coverage for bodily injury, when that is exhausted,

your pip (this can vary by state, as t'boo said, in TX, your pip is what would apply here, not theirs).  When that is exhausted,

your health insurance.

i hope the driver who caused this carries decent liability limits, and if they don't, I hope you carry decent uninsured/underinsured limits.  If either of those is true, you should be fine barring catastrophic injury, and if that was the case, I feel like you would've mentioned it.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I've been licensed in most of the U.S. During my career,  but am rusty on most states besides TX.  What state are you in?  The chain of coverage should look something like this:

your pip (this can vary by state, as t'boo said, in TX, your pip is what would apply here, not theirs).  When that is exhausted,

your health insurance.

i hope the driver who caused this carries decent liability limits, and if they don't, I hope you carry decent uninsured/underinsured limits.  If either of those is true, you should be fine barring catastrophic injury, and if that was the case, I feel like you would've mentioned it.

At least in Texas, you can submit the bills both to liability and PIP and double dip.

There's also no reason not to use your health insurance.

I’m in a similar situation. Filed with my insurance because there were 4 cars involved in the wreck and they felt they would get it resolved quicker. My car has been repaired, but I have 5K in medical bills that my PIP paid and about 1K in lost wages. I have an open claim with the at fault drivers insurance, but haven’t submitted by bills. Do I just submit them or do I need to include some kind of demand letter for “pain and suffering”? 

11 hours ago, 3adays said:

I’m in a similar situation. Filed with my insurance because there were 4 cars involved in the wreck and they felt they would get it resolved quicker. My car has been repaired, but I have 5K in medical bills that my PIP paid and about 1K in lost wages. I have an open claim with the at fault drivers insurance, but haven’t submitted by bills. Do I just submit them or do I need to include some kind of demand letter for “pain and suffering”? 

I would submit and then call and ask what they are going to offer. You can always get them to go up from their first offer.  What company is it?

On 9/19/2018 at 10:17 PM, conVINCEd said:

your health insurance.

This seems correct for my experience. Car rear ended me on 45 which caused a chain of events and a total of 5 cars were involved in the wreck. At fault person's policy was shit and did not even cover the complete damage to my car. My underinsured took over and covered the rest.

Things got interesting when the person I hit claimed medical and tried to go after my policy for medical. Anyway I never saw any paperwork on a payout so I guess that was all figured out in the end.

Definitely carry uninsured/underinsured with a decent limit. Chances are the people who rear end you have a history of doing so and their policy will suck. 

I’m 60 days from being rear ended by yellow cab ( not that kind. Wasn’t a customer). They still have not assigned the claim and are fighting who is at fault even though it’s a slam dunk. I was asked to be a witness for the state against him and will testify on Friday. My insurance handled all repair and medical bills plus lost wages. 

I will attempt to get the other insurance to double dip. It’s truly a pain in the ass and don’t be surprised no matter how clear the police report is, when they dispute it and want to “investigate” 60 days after the fact. In the meantime I am a out of pocket for all expenses over my insurance limits (rental car etc). 

Good luck. 

Anyone know a good attorney who hates Yellow Cab?

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • 1 month later...
On 9/20/2018 at 7:34 PM, Clintonaldo said:

I would submit and then call and ask what they are going to offer. You can always get them to go up from their first offer.  What company is it?

I submitted $5000 in medical bills and $1500 in lost wages. They offered $7000. I countered with $17,000 and she said she couldn’t do that. I told them I’d weigh my options and get back to them. Essentially they are only offering $500 in “pain and suffering”. Seems extremely low to me. Any thoughts on how far they’d be willing to go up? 

1 minute ago, 3adays said:

I submitted $5000 in medical bills and $1500 in lost wages. They offered $7000. I countered with $17,000 and she said she couldn’t do that. I told them I’d weigh my options and get back to them. Essentially they are only offering $500 in “pain and suffering”. Seems extremely low to me. Any thoughts on how far they’d be willing to go up? 

That is low and she can come up. What was your treatment?

• 2 weeks later...

If you are in Texas, don't make the mistake and go to the big dog attorney in Houston. All talk, no bite. Was rear ended by an idiot while stopped at a red light, Oct last year. Wife's back is jacked up. I had issues for a couple of months.

Still no action. Been dicked around (long story) . Anybody know a good attorney that will actually work for me and not his commercials? I wont ever make that mistake again.

7 hours ago, Dances with Dachshunds said:

If you are in Texas, don't make the mistake and go to the big dog attorney in Houston. All talk, no bite. Was rear ended by an idiot while stopped at a red light, Oct last year. Wife's back is jacked up. I had issues for a couple of months.

Still no action. Been dicked around (long story) . Anybody know a good attorney that will actually work for me and not his commercials? I wont ever make that mistake again.

They will settle with the other insurance company for pennies on the dollar about 2 days before the statute runs.