Austin City Government - Circus of the Insane

skittlebrau

25 minutes ago, skittlebrau said:

Yeah, that might be the most nonsensical political argument I’ve ever read.

I only vote for President, two members of the senate, and one member of the House of Representatives! It's unfair that those four Federal Elected Officials can be overruled by the other 432 members of Congress!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I only vote for President, two members of the senate, and one member of the House of Representatives! It's unfair that those four Federal Elected Officials can be overruled by the other 432 members of Congress!

But....this sure as hell gives us clear insight into the minds and worldview of the NIMBY folks in Austin, who are really pissed about losing absolute power, and want to get it back go the back door.

Sure, everyone can vote for a rep in a representative government, but we’ll take back the power we used to have by making anything they do subject to our popular vote. Probably on a Thursday. In June.
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

So if I follow your logic correctly instead of everyone having the ability to vote for  2 out of 11 everyone should be able to vote for 6 out of 11? If that’s the case why do we even have single member districts? Doesn’t really compute. Maybe we should just go back to the way it was with a citywide  vote for 6 seats with one reserved brown seat and one black one. 

Only in Austin.

They would love that because the City Council was run by what amounted to the central neighborhood organizations.  They wouldn't need measures like this because their interest were served, at the behest of the majority of the city.

Just like now, they want the minority interest to govern.  It isn't even the overwhelming interest of the central neighborhoods, it is simply the loudest and most active groups, and they bully and drown out opposition.

If you want affordability, if you want transportation solutions, then you want density.  It is as simple as that.  If you want a never ending rise in central Austin housing prices, continued infrastructure issues, and gentrification, then you don't.  There really isn't any other way to split these hairs despite what the neighborhood groups will say.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

But....this sure as hell gives us clear insight into the minds and worldview of the NIMBY folks in Austin, who are really pissed about losing absolute power, and want to get it back go the back door.

Sure, everyone can vote for a rep in a representative government, but we’ll take back the power we used to have by making anything they do subject to our popular vote. Probably on a Thursday. In June.

This is precisely what is going on. 

Since I’m too lazy to look it up (and will likely run into a bunch of propaganda anyway) can anyone here in the know summarize the ANC power structure’s major beef with Code Next? Were high rises and condos going up in Tarrytown? Too many Section 8 housing units were gonna be allowed in Brykerwoods? Was the old race track gonna be re-built in Hyde Park? Curious minds want to now. 

In Austin under the 10-1 system, you vote for only 2 of the 11 city council members, your district rep and the mayor.  Any six council members, voting the same way, can pass something.  It is possible for the city council to vote for something that both your rep and your mayor voted against, and you have no way to counter that at the ballot box.  They can and do make decisions in the middle of the night at the end of all-day city council meetings.
If you are a special interest group or stand to benefit financially from something the city council passes, you can lobby or donate to six of the council members, get them on your side, and get something passed that benefits you or your group.  This benefit to you may be at odds with what the majority of voters would choose, if given a vote.
Prop J was created as a response to CodeNEXT.  Citizens petitioned the city council to require a review period and a city-wide vote prior to adopting CodeNEXT, as a check on the power of city council. The city council had two choices: adopt the ordinance proposed by the petition, or put the proposed ordinance up to a vote.  Instead, a majority of the city council, mostly those in favor of CodeNEXT, decided to ignore the petition.  The petitioners sued the city and won the right to put the ordinance on the ballot.
If you vote in favor of Prop J, you are voting to have the protection of the ordinance.  You are giving power to the voters by giving them a waiting period to review any major changes to the land development code proposed by the city staff and the city council, and the power to vote for or against the changes.  You are helping to ensure that the majority of the voters in the city are aligned with the decisions created by staff and council.
If you vote against Prop J, you are voting to not have the ordinance.  You are giving power to city council and city staff by not requiring that their plans align with the wishes of the majority of the voters and not requiring periods for citizen review proposed by the ordinance.  You are OK with the decisions of city council and staff possibly being at odds with the wishes of the majority of the voters.  If you are aligned with a special interest group or business that may benefit from the majority decision, you can lobby behind the scenes knowing that plans created will not have to face the voters.
I support Prop J because I want the people proposing major land use changes to know that they do eventually answer to the voters.  I think it is important for the city council, the city staff and the citizens to be aligned on major revisions to our land development code.  After meeting with CodeNEXT city staff members, I do not trust them to learn about neighborhoods or listen to city residents without the Prop J protections.
Changing the land use code is a big decision, affecting almost everyone.  I want the city council and staff to know that they can plan and propose, but ultimately they need voter support to pass.

That's a lot of text to be completely wrong. prop J won't protect you or anyone else at all. State law trumps it and state law says that while you can vote to have or not have zoning, you can't out the actual code to a vote.

I do not like OU

Since I’m too lazy to look it up (and will likely run into a bunch of propaganda anyway) can anyone here in the know summarize the ANC power structure’s major beef with Code Next? Were high rises and condos going up in Tarrytown? Too many Section 8 housing units were gonna be allowed in Brykerwoods? Was the old race track gonna be re-built in Hyde Park? Curious minds want to now. 
Everyone agrees traffic sucks and we need to do something. Old money Austin freaked out that duplexes or triplexes might be built in their neighborhoods where you currently can't. You know, gotta keep the poors out. Otherwise neighborhood character might suffer.

East Austin freaked out because a bunch of shitty 'community advocates' told them they'd all be forced to sell to developers who would build mixed use building filled with nothing but liquor stores.

These are the same types of people that proposed and implemwnted the garage placement ordinance so in half the neighborhoods it's damn near impossible to build a two car garage now. They're insane.

I do not like OU

On 10/15/2018 at 6:17 PM, JimmyJames said:

So if I follow your logic correctly instead of everyone having the ability to vote for  2 out of 11 everyone should be able to vote for 6 out of 11? If that’s the case why do we even have single member districts? Doesn’t really compute. Maybe we should just go back to the way it was with a citywide  vote for 6 seats with one reserved brown seat and one black one. 

Only in Austin.

I am not advocating that everyone vote for 6 of 11.  I am trying to point out (perhaps badly) that a citizen today can go to only two people that need his or her vote.  Everyone else on council has no reason to care.  Lobbyists have time and money to give to causes they care about, and they are free to twist the arms of all eleven.  I believe that some of the conflict we are seeing today is happening because groups that are lobbying city council are not aligned with the citizens of the city.  Compromise is difficult, because two opposed groups just go to the rails when conflict happens.

Honestly, I did approach CodeNEXT with a goal of learning about it and hopefully putting in my opinion.  I took time to read the drafts, look at the maps, comment online and attend sessions that the city promoted as ways to offer my input.  I am not opposed to reasonable change in my neighborhood.  I thought R2C zoning was mostly acceptable, before the lot sizes and parking restrictions were changed.  I would really love to see more taller development like the university overlay, especially in areas like the Domain, where development can happen without fundamentally changing neighborhoods.  I liked Adler's Austin Bargain, where he said the goal was "not to force density in the middle of neighborhoods."

The end of the CodeNEXT process was pretty crazy, with tons of amendments and changes and factions divided pretty evenly down the middle.  It was impossible to keep track of the latest proposal.  To me, it felt very out of control.  So yes, if we are going to change zoning I would like the Prop J protections in place, to allow the voters some time to see the final work product and decide if this right for Austin or not.

Anybody else wanna kick in for Frank Ward?  Just to have somebody with some semblance of maths on the dais?  You're allowed to donate even if you're not in his district.  I am doing as such.  

I am not advocating that everyone vote for 6 of 11.  I am trying to point out (perhaps badly) that a citizen today can go to only two people that need his or her vote.  Everyone else on council has no reason to care.

Yeah, that’s how representative democracy works. There are 149 Texas House members, 30 Texas State Senators, 434 US House members and 98 US Senators who have no reason to care what I want. Them’s the breaks.

Yeah, that’s how representative democracy works. There are 149 Texas House members, 30 Texas State Senators, 434 US House members and 98 US Senators who have no reason to care what I want. Them’s the breaks.

This. We went from a “one faction controls all seats” to a representative system for this exact reason. And he wants to undo it. Because how DARE the representatives of other areas of austin not do what they’re told by the old cliques of central and near west austin like things used to be?!?!

3 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

The end of the CodeNEXT process was pretty crazy, with tons of amendments and changes and factions divided pretty evenly down the middle.  It was impossible to keep track of the latest proposal.  To me, it felt very out of control.  So yes, if we are going to change zoning I would like the Prop J protections in place, to allow the voters some time to see the final work product and decide if this right for Austin or not.

You’re being very sophomoric in general, but particularly here. You’ve had it explained to you that this is illegal by state law currently and would cost the city (ahem, you, me, and these other assholes) millions to fight and lose in court. Why the fuck are you advocating for Prop J rather than changing the law first? Honestly curious. 

Is there a consensus on Morrison?  I've been too wrapped up in the senate race to the detriment of understanding some of the local issues on the ballot, embarrassingly even to understanding the mayoral race.  Adler seems fairly ineffective and wouldn't be my top choice, but not a bad guy.  But I don't want to vote to replace a cup of melted ice cream with a cup of hot diarrhea.

On 10/22/2018 at 8:12 AM, Celery Man said:

Is there a consensus on Morrison?  I've been too wrapped up in the senate race to the detriment of understanding some of the local issues on the ballot, embarrassingly even to understanding the mayoral race.  Adler seems fairly ineffective and wouldn't be my top choice, but not a bad guy.  But I don't want to vote to replace a cup of melted ice cream with a cup of hot diarrhea.

She would be highly effective at pursuing terrible policy decisions.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2018 at 8:12 AM, Celery Man said:

She’s hot garbage.

On 10/16/2018 at 4:50 PM, JimmyJames said:

Austin Neighborhood Council represents the actual people that live in Austin neighborhoods.   Zoning changes typically have to get the approval of the local Neighborhood Association.  

Developers control the sock puppets FRIENDS OF AUSTIN NEIGHBORHOODS:

https://forum.atxfriends.org/

FAN represents developers efforts to maximize density and help cram condos on 60’ wide home lots which were previously single family houses.  

FAN pushes the density agenda for financial gain while opposing actual residents that back ANC.  

13 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

We literally just spent like a half billion dollars on water treatment plant 4, over the objections of people like Laura Morrison and Kathy Tovo. Imagine where we would be without it today.

That was to meet growing demand.  Tell me how Longhorn Dam benefited from that.  

Austin Neighborhood Council represents the actual people that live in Austin neighborhoods.   Zoning changes typically have to get the approval of the local Neighborhood Association.   Developers control the sock puppets FRIENDS OF AUSTIN NEIGHBORHOODS:

FAN represents developers efforts to maximize density and help cram condos on 60’ wide home lots which were previously single family houses.  

FAN pushes the density agenda for financial gain while opposing actual residents that back ANC.  

Yeah, that’s fiction. ANC represents a very narrow subset of the views of the executive committee of ANC and 100 or so very active citizens. Which is fine, by the way, but highly exclusionary and not at all representative of Austin Neighborhoods.

FAN was started primarily by neighborhood associations (including mine) that were pushed out or not represented by ANC and individuals frustrated by efforts by ANCs leadership to suppress diverse views.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, skittlebrau said:

Had the chance to introduce Adler on stage last night at a Chamber event. He was crisp, clear and to the point. I wish Campaign Adler and Mayor Adler were the same person sometimes.

He doesn't have the stones to follow through and face the wrath of his current opponent's on a daily basis. 

four years in:  He was for changes to zoning code, transportation/traffic improvements, alleviating property tax burdens, improving cost of living, and curbing homelessness.  

Tell me how any of those are improved in the last four years?  He could fuck up a cup of coffee. 

Austin Neighborhood Council represents the actual people that live in Austin neighborhoods.   Zoning changes typically have to get the approval of the local Neighborhood Association.  
Developers control the sock puppets FRIENDS OF AUSTIN NEIGHBORHOODS:
What a load of shit. ANC sets it's open times for gets to be on board. They intentionally exclude anyone that is pro density, development, whatever. Plenty of stories of people on the east side wanting a voice but not being allowed to participate even though they've loved there for years.

FAN shares a lot of common ground with developers but is hardly run by them. The only reason FAN even exists is because of the bullshit rules of ANC

I do not like OU

• Like 1

So what says everyone about the city Propositions.

more detailed explanations from the league of women voters in the link.

https://lwvaustin.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/LWVAA-GEVG-2018-ENG-FINAL-web-1.pdf

Propositions at a Glance

Prop A: $250 million for affordable housing.  The issuance of $250,000,000 in tax supported general obligation bonds and notes for planning, constructing, renovating, improving, and equipping affordable housing facilities for low income and moderate income persons and families, and acquiring land and interests in land and property necessary to do so, funding loans and grants for affordable housing, and funding affordable housing programs, as may be permitted by law; and the levy of a tax sufficient to pay for the bonds and notes.

Fuck the poor.  No seriously, fuck the poor.  Move to the burbs where there is affordable housing.  That's what most all of us did when getting started.  Buy low, sell high and improve your lot in life, literally.

Prop B: $128 million for libraries, museums, and cultural arts facilities.  The issuance of $128,000,000 in tax supported general obligation bonds and notes for planning, acquiring, constructing, renovating, improving, and equipping community and cultural facilities, libraries, museums, and cultural and creative arts facilities, and acquiring land and interests in land and property necessary to do so; and the levy of a tax sufficient to pay for the bonds and notes.

Yes.  Cities need their art and culture.

Prop C. $149 million for parks & recreation.  The issuance of $149,000,000 in tax supported general obligation bonds and notes for planning, acquiring, constructing, renovating, improving and equipping public parks, recreation centers, natural areas, and other related facilities, including, without limitation, playgrounds, hike and bike trails, sports courts, and swimming pools, and acquiring land and interests in land and property necessary to do so; and the levy of a tax sufficient to pay for the bonds and notes. 

Yes.  Cities need green spaces and places to play (and for the homeless to spoil and sleep).

Prop D. $184 million for flood mitigation, open space, and water quality protection. The issuance of $184,000,000 in tax supported general obligation bonds and notes for flood mitigation, open space and water quality and quantity for planning, designing, acquiring, constructing, and installing improvements and facilities for flood control, erosion control, water quality, water quantity, and stormwater drainage, and acquiring land, open spaces, and interests in land and property necessary to do so; and the levy of a tax sufficient to pay for the bonds and notes.

Yes.  See Houston for what can happen with no planning for flood control.

Prop E: $16 million for health & human services. The issuance of $16,000,000 in tax supported general obligations bonds and notes for planning, constructing, reconstructing, improving, and equipping a neighborhood public health and human services facility in the Dove Springs area; and the levy of a tax sufficient to pay for the bonds and notes.

No.  There are already other places to provide free human services.  No need to spend $16M to build a new one.

Prop F: $38 million for public safety. The issuance of $38,000,000 in tax supported general obligation bonds and notes for planning, renovating, improving, and equipping existing public safety facilities, specifically fire and emergency medical services stations, buildings, and other related facilities; and the levy of a tax sufficient to pay for the bonds and notes.

Yes. Need to update fire stations and EMS

Prop G: $160 million for transportation infrastructure.  The issuance of $160,000,000 in tax supported general obligation bonds and notes for planning, constructing, reconstructing, and improving roads, streets, intersections, sidewalks, bridges, urban trails and related utility and drainage infrastructure for the roads and streets; improving traffic signal synchronization and control systems; acquiring and installing traffic signals; and acquiring land and interests in land and property necessary to do so; and the levy of a tax sufficient to pay for the bonds and notes.  

More details: $50 million to replace the Redbud Trail Bridge over Lady Bird Lake; $20 million to fix or replace existing sidewalks and to make them Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant[\b]; $15 million for safety improvements at intersections to reduce accidents; $4.5 million for technology improvements including: upgrades to traffic signals, controllers, and firmware, expansion of communications systems, and new signal installations; $3 million toward enhancing the connectivity of the City’s urban trails; $1 million to fund the Neighborhood Partnering Program (NPP), which allows citizens to partner with the City to propose small- to medium-scale projects on City-owned property, the purpose of which is to improve the places in which citizens live, work, and play

LULZ.  notice they didn't mention fucking bike and be default scooter lanes.  Didn't we just approve a gazillion dollars a few years ago for said bike lanes and other stupid shit.  $15M to fix sidewalks.  fucking for wheelchairs.  $4.5M for red light cameras.

Prop H: Charter amendment clarifying Planning commissioners' terms

Prop I: Charter amendment making various text corrections and clarifications

Prop J: Mandates a public vote on any comprehensive code rewrite

Prop K: Mandates an outside audit of city operations. Without using the existing internal City Auditor or existing independent external auditor, shall the City Code be amended to require an efficiency study of the City’s operational and fiscal performance performed by a third-party audit consultant, at an estimated cost of $1 million–$5 million?

So we have an audit but nothing building to make city leaders execute findings of said $1-5M audit?

A - No. It is barely affordable for me so I don't need to be paying even more money to make it more affordable for everyone else.

B - Fuck no. You just burned $140M on a fucking library that should have been spent on what you are wanting to spend on now

C -  Fuck No, again. $40M of that is going towards building a pool to make a private developers subdivision worth more.

D - Yes. And I was going to vote that even before all of this boil water shit.

E - Yes, they need that over there

F - Yes. Some of the COA Public Safety facilities are downright nasty.

G - Hell fucking no. Until the Westlake folks pony up some of the cost, we shouldn't be building a $50M bridge to help their commute, plus quit spending money on bike shit.

H - Yes

I - Yes, but do they not have editors approve that shit before adopting it?

J - No

K. Yes, but I wish we could stipulate that the Council and staff have no say at all in the process and the reports are not delivered to them.

Edited by Orange&White
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Prop B: $128 million for libraries, museums, and cultural arts facilities.  The issuance of $128,000,000 in tax supported general obligation bonds and notes for planning, acquiring, constructing, renovating, improving, and equipping community and cultural facilities, libraries, museums, and cultural and creative arts facilities, and acquiring land and interests in land and property necessary to do so; and the levy of a tax sufficient to pay for the bonds and notes.

Yes.  Cities need their art and culture.

Uh, no.  No more libraries.  The last one turned into an unmitigated budgetary disaster.  Shockingly, with Austin.  I don't care if the thing turned into a gold-plated haven with a world class view for the bums.   No more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

four years in:  He was for changes to zoning code, transportation/traffic improvements, alleviating property tax burdens, improving cost of living, and curbing homelessness.  

Tell me how any of those are improved in the last four years?  He could fuck up a cup of coffee. 

He got the largest ever transit bond passed and he did it with the will of the NIMBY members against him. The majority of that money is for projects that are currently in design/engineering. The quick stuff like sidewalks are being built now. I wasn't a big fan of his until he got that done.

Edited by Pasken
  • Like 1

lulz.  move next to the seaholm train tracks, complain about the train noise.  we should start shooting people for stupidity.

"The Austin group hopes the city will step in and help. They are requesting the city hire a rail noise expert to determine the best solution."

http://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/austin/news/2018/10/23/seaholm-district-residents-fight-to-combat-noisy-train-

30 minutes ago, Pasken said:

He got the largest ever transit bond passed and he did it with the will of the NIMBY members against him. The majority of that money is for projects that are currently in design/engineering. The quick stuff like sidewalks are being built now. I wasn't a big fan of his until he got that done.

He oversold our paper.  We have already sold nearly $400mm of muni debt (just on that mobility bond) even though only $250-$280mm is in the planning/deployment stages.  We're paying debt service, and will be for another two years, on nearly $150mm of debt we have no plan on spending for at least two years.  That's bad practice.  That's idiotic leadership.  And when Fitsch, S&P, and Moody's find out about it, it's going to seriously effect our credit rating.  Particularly since it's indicative of a half dozen other bond floats in the last ten years.  

Edited by Lobo

Yes on A-G because we have to accept reality, including the fact that tomorrow exists. If you’re too cheap for infrastructure you deserve what happens.

Prop J is no way to run a city. Period. You don’t put giant, complex technical work product up for a public vote. You expect individual citizens to review and digest a comprehensive building and land use code? That’s the kind of thing we hire council for.

Prop K is a dumb waste of money in service of paranoia. We already have an independent auditor. So we are going to award a huge contract for another one with no clear purpose to go on a fishing expedition because the KLBJ-AM crowd thinks the city auditors aren’t enough? Who’s going to award the contract? Todd and Don? And what if they don’t turn up anything? Would you hire more auditors?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yes on A-G because we have to accept reality, including the fact that tomorrow exists. If you’re too cheap for infrastructure you deserve what happens.

Prop J is no way to run a city. Period. You don’t put giant, complex technical work product up for a public vote. You expect individual citizens to review and digest a comprehensive building and land use code? That’s the kind of thing we hire council for.

Prop K is a dumb waste of money in service of paranoia. We already have an independent auditor. So we are going to award a huge contract for another one with no clear purpose to go on a fishing expedition because the KLBJ-AM crowd thinks the city auditors aren’t enough? Who’s going to award the contract? Todd and Don? And what if they don’t turn up anything? Would you hire more auditors?

The City of Austin has an independent auditor?  Really?  News to me.  Who is it?