2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

53 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

They do not, however, return their leading rusher (Tre Watson), leading receiver (Lil’Jordan Humphrey), three honorable mention all-conference offensive linemen, their top three tacklers on the defensive line, their top two linebackers, and three of their top five defensive backs, including corner Kris Boyd, who led the team in havoc plays (tackles for loss, forced fumbles, and passes defensed).

At 48 percent returning production, the Horns aren’t in the “guaranteed regression” range like, say, UAB and Fresno State. But Tom Herman’s recruiting classes are going to have to break through quickly if Texas is to live up to expectations.

It may burn a little, but this is a fair projection to me.  We lost a ton.  We don't know how good our backups are yet.  We're about to find out.  

I would accept it as axiomatic that we don't know how good future players or future play will be. I think we have some reason to believe that we will have growing pains in the defensive backfield but be pretty salty as the season wears on. We are likely to miss LJ but may see an element of breakaway speed on offense this year that opens new doors for us. We have the same QB, the same coaches, and an increasing average talent level. I am not holding my breath for a reprise of 2005, but I am very optimistic on our returning to the CCG with a good chance to win it this year.

40 minutes ago, HornPharmD12 said:

EJ reporting that Derrian Brown in hospital with major illness 

If anything derails our season, it is likely to be injury/illness at shallows in our depth chart. Get well, young man, for yourself first.

Edited by Magus Ossis

Maybe it's just blind optimism, but I think quite a few of those defensive replacements have a good chance to be better than their predecessors.

Boyd - Cook:  Downgrade
Davis - Green/Boyce: Downgrade
Locke - Foster/Brown/Jamison:  Upgrade
Gary Johnson - Caleb Johnson: 50/50
Anthony Wheeler - Floyd/McCulloch: Upgrade
Hager - Ossai:  Huge upgrade
Omenihu - Graham/Roach:  Downgrade but going from potential 1st rounder to still some of the best talent on the team
Nelson - Coburn/Ojomo:  Potential upgrade

Not to mention we arguably have the best safety tandem and depth in the nation playing behind all of that.

I feel more confident about the offense going into a season than I have since spring of 2008.

14 hours ago, Eggo said:

Anyone know what happened? 

The rumor is a blood clot that lead to a seizure and emergency surgery. 

https://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/sports/buford-football-star-brown-hospitalized-after-apparent-seizure/article_79c12d40-1861-5734-a2ce-6f22168c7236.html

One of Gwinnett County’s top high school football players was hospitalized Thursday with a serious medical condition.

Buford senior running back, and Daily Post Offensive Player of the Year, Derrian Brown suffered an apparent seizure while at school early Thursday morning and was transported to a local hospital, sources close to his family told the Daily Post.

Neither recently-named Buford head coach Bryant Appling nor athletics directory Tony Wolfe could be reached for comment.

However, Buford principal Ed Shaddix issued a statement Thursday evening via Twitter that read, “As many of you have heard, one of our students, Derrian Brown, has been hospitalized following a medical situation. At this time, Derrian’s family has asked for there to be no visitors at the hospital, as there is no room and Derrian needs to focus on his recovery. Please keep Derrien and his family in your thoughts and prayers. We will update you on his condition as it is appropriate. Thanks for your support.”

Brown had a big senior season in 2018, running for a Gwinnett-best 1,908 yards and 28 touchdowns on 246 carries, caught 10 passes for 162 yards and a TD and returned 11 kickoffs for 196 yards and two punts for 94 yards, including a touchdown in helping the Wolves to another Region 8-AAAAA championship and a berth in the Class AAAAA state quarterfinals last fall.

That effort not only earned him the Daily Post’s Offensive Player of the Year honors, plus a spot on the recently-released Georgia Sports Writers Association first team All-State from Class AAAAA, but also a scholarship to play at the University of Texas.

Team notes from IT

This time of year is all about re-acclimating to classwork and workouts in preparation of spring ball. It's about repairing your body then building it back up.

Most inquiries are around the freshmen because with newness comes intrigue. Their second week of workouts has been a continuation of their first week where I'm hearing nothing but positives over the new arrivals. That's somewhat to be expected as they've been waiting for this moment since they began being recruited. Let's see how long this enthusiasm lasts, but for now this class is mimicking the one before it. I think there is certainly a strong correlation to early enrollees taking football seriously, but I also think having leadership to offer direction upon arrival plays a big part.

None of this is to say the freshmen haven't gotten their butts kicked in workouts, it's just that they're battling and fighting through with zero complaints.

On Monday everybody got their butts kicked as Yancy McKnight ran the team through every type of squat imaginable. Players who are familiar with how this program is run shouldn't have been surprised by that. McKnight likes to see how the players treated themselves over the weekend. If it's a big party weekend or the team is returning from spring break they're going to be met with hellacious workouts.

The rest of the week was still difficult but easier by comparison.

For the freshmen there is an adjustment to the amount of lower body volume done in the weight room. Those guys stacking on 150 pounds onto their squat max aren't simply doing 3 sets of 10 twice a week. Explosion and power comes from the legs and back, so exercises targeting those parts of the body are the priorities over vanity lifts. Offensive linemen who have shown up unable to do a pull-up can now knock out a handful. Defensive backs who couldn't squat a Thorpe Award get up into the 500s.

With weight fluctuations on the o-line a bit of a topic this week I asked about Sam Cosmi. I've had former players rave about him, specifically his play strength. It's no coincidence that Cosmi also has gym strength. Said one, "his problem is keeping weight on. I bet he was in the mid-280's by the end of the season. Still, strong as hell. If he can get to and maintain 300 pounds he can be better than Connor."

I asked about De'Gabriel Floyd to see how the freshman linebacker is acclimating. One person who thought my early expectations of him were too high mentioned "physically and mentally mature. There's some Gary Johnson to how serious he takes football. Hard worker. Can’t wait to see him on the field.”

We also heard some positives regarding Bru McCoy but more about his fit. Expectations are that it won't take long for McCoy to assert himself into the best 11 and he'll assume Lil'Jordan Humphrey's spot.

• Like 2

A little bit of De'Gabriel Floyd Kool-Aid from TFB: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-weekend-february-1st-3rd/

De’Gabriel Floyd | Quick-Hitter
– Super K

Just wanted to pass on a quick note that may make y’all smile.

Walked into Higley High School yesterday in Arizona and almost immediately after I said hello to coach Eddy Zubey, head coach at Higley, coach Zubey started raving about De’Gabriel Floyd.

Said the young man is an absolute beast and predicted that Floyd will see the field immediately.

Apparenly coach Zubey was at the Adidas All-American game and what he saw in Floyd as a player caught coach’s attention.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, fellside said:

I feel more confident about the offense going into a season than I have since spring of 2008.

Nobody was very confident in the Spring of 2008.  Hell in the spring "Chiles Should Starts" was still the mantra. That is part of the reason the 2008 season was so fun. Colt took a humongous leap forward that no one saw coming, our freshman DBs turned out to be Thorpe quality or serviceable, we had folks like Chris O have monster senior seasons, and Quan and Ship exploded. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fico said:

Nobody was very confident in the Spring of 2008.  Hell in the spring "Chiles Should Starts" was still the mantra. That is part of the reason the 2008 season was so fun. Colt took a humongous leap forward that no one saw coming, our freshman DBs turned out to be Thorpe quality or serviceable, we had folks like Chris O have monster senior seasons, and Quan and Ship exploded. 

I meant 2009.  I was thinking about after 2008 so I put spring.  I'm dumb.

• Like 1

You've got to give Boyce some credit for sticking around with the talent that came in behind him. It'll be interesting watching him this spring and seeing if he's smartened up some. I don't know if he just became a deer under all the lights or what but he looked lost. Not lacking in athleticism or speed so I assume it's mental but what do I know

11 hours ago, Goodman said:

Where my boy Overshown?

Hopefully somewhere studying the playbook, in the gym or watching film of himself and 2019 opponents.

It'll be interesting to see where he spends the majority of time at in spring. I'm hoping he gets eased into Rover(maybe starter at joker) and starts by midseason, but he's got competition already on campus.