Formula 1 2019

wood

I brought it up earlier but does anybody think Mercedes will let bottas and hamilton race for championship or do yall envision hamilton getting team orders in his favor if it stays tight at end...

Mercedes pretty much always lets their drivers race unless it’s 100% abundantly clear that they can get a better result like Monaco 2016 when they had Rosberg let Hamilton past because Rosberg had no pace in the wet.

Some say that Rosberg did get preferential treatment that year as far as the garage totally switching crews for the drivers. That is something we may never know, although Lewis has said he will write a book or something about it all after he’s retired.

Mercedes pretty much always lets their drivers race unless it’s 100% abundantly clear that they can get a better result like Monaco 2016 when they had Rosberg let Hamilton past because Rosberg had no pace in the wet.

Some say that Rosberg did get preferential treatment that year as far as the garage totally switching crews for the drivers. That is something we may never know, although Lewis has said he will write a book or something about it all after he’s retired.
Not sure about that...they made bottas move over in russian gp while lewis was up by 40 points

Im talking about them racing for the championship...seems they are the only 2 with a chance

Good to see Bottas bringing it this year. Too bad Ferrari can't get it going. Love what FI/RP continues to do with less. McLaren looking pretty nice at P7&8. Too bad the Torpedo took out the entire team on the first lap in China. I'd heard from a friend in the MTC that McLaren were expecting a great result in China until the Torpedo took out the whole team on L1, and that they're fast and improving all the time. Seems like he's right. Haas, wow. Renault, wow. Williams, double wow. Alex Albon seems like maybe he doesn't suck. RBR exceeding fuel flow limits in Q .. what? No way!

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Damage to the Williams will be paid.

I think I might want to take a hard look at Williams and see if they are fiddling with manhole covers at Baku. That's now 2 Williams cars severely damaged at Baku by manhole covers, in 2016 and 2019. And that's the only 2 cars damaged by manhole covers at Baku that I can recall. They either have the worst luck - or are fiddling with them and then hitting them on purpose. Just seems strange that the backmarkers would be the ones to hit the covers.

46 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

Has Suzuka compensated the family of Jules Bianchi?

Why? Because they had a tractor out removing Sutil's car? That was normal procedure in F1 races, not that I necessarily agree with it. There were other factors that contributed to the severity of that crash. Bianchi was going too fast under double-waved yellow flags, and hit the same stream of water that caused Sutil's off. He locked up his front tires once he went off, preventing him from steering away from the tractor. Hitting the brakes the way he did, even with his right foot on the gas, should have triggered his failsafe software, but for some reason it didn't. Had that worked right, he could have slowed at least a little. Some say Charlie should have stopped the race due to the weather and low light, or that he should have put the field behind the SC to remove the car. An argument can probably be made for the former, but double-waved yellows for marshals or equipment on track for car removal was the standard for F1. Neither of those are on Suzuka.

Edited by wood

21 minutes ago, elfenix said:

managed to avoid spoilers the last couple days, fire up espn app, scroll down, and right fucking there "Bottas Wins Azerbaijan GP"

fuck you clip title writer

Yeah I was at Craig O's with my boys & was consciously trying to avoid the scroll but still watch the Indians and Astros. Glanced up and just barely caught it out of the corner of my eye right as it scrolled past. Oh well. My fault. But yeah, FUCK ESPN. That shit is infuriating.

Edited by wood

for long time fans of F1, when you/others make comments like this car has the best aero, that car understeers on turn 3 at hockenheim, the renault has better engine than alfa, etc etc etc.....

are those statements just coming from viewing the telecast alone, or augmenting with lots of written articles from the pit / insiders, and inferring from telemetry data online?, etc etc

occasionally the race broadcasts trap speeds, and they'll note different car behaviors, but just spectating from the broadcast cameras, and even live in person, i dont see how a person (even if familiar with car dynamics and performance driving) can tell those sorts of things

for long time fans of F1, when you/others make comments like this car has the best aero, that car understeers on turn 3 at hockenheim, the renault has better engine than alfa, etc etc etc.....
are those statements just coming from viewing the telecast alone, or augmenting with lots of written articles from the pit / insiders, and inferring from telemetry data online?, etc etc
occasionally the race broadcasts trap speeds, and they'll note different car behaviors, but just spectating from the broadcast cameras, and even live in person, i dont see how a person (even if familiar with car dynamics and performance driving) can tell those sorts of things

I spend quite a bit of time on the F1 Technical forum, where people much smarter than me analyze these things. A lot of info can be scrubbed from apex speeds and how a car performs in certain sectors that are high speed or low speed etc. Some circuits or sectors are front or rear traction limited and depending on how well a car performs there you can glean if it has good mechanical grip or aero/downforce.

Downforce is downforce, it just depends on how draggy it is. A draggy car will perform well except at high speed and won’t be as good at following another car. Sometimes you can help with this to some extent by altering your ERS deployment mapping.

More downforce also gives you better and longer performance from the tires, as the more the tires grip the pavement, the less they slough off rubber. It may sound counterintuitive, but downforce is actually very important at lower speeds too (look at FSAE cars).

A car that understeers slightly in lower speed stuff like the Ferrari likely lacks front downforce (at least relative to the rear). This is the problem that has been presented with the Ferrari front wing philosophy, it may be harder to extract more front downforce performance.

What’s weird is that it seems like the Red Bull chassis is not as good as it traditionally is, but the Honda PU has improved quite a bit. It also isn’t very draggy so their top speed is solid. They get a lot of downforce from their floor higher rake angle, but some of the new barge board rules have made it a bit harder to seal that area in the front. I imagine they’ll improve quite a bit though.

31 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I spend quite a bit of time on the F1 Technical forum, where people much smarter than me analyze these things. A lot of info can be scrubbed from apex speeds and how a car performs in certain sectors that are high speed or low speed etc. Some circuits or sectors are front or rear traction limited and depending on how well a car performs there you can glean if it has good mechanical grip or aero/downforce.

Downforce is downforce, it just depends on how draggy it is. A draggy car will perform well except at high speed and won’t be as good at following another car. Sometimes you can help with this to some extent by altering your ERS deployment mapping.

More downforce also gives you better and longer performance from the tires, as the more the tires grip the pavement, the less they slough off rubber. It may sound counterintuitive, but downforce is actually very important at lower speeds too (look at FSAE cars).

A car that understeers slightly in lower speed stuff like the Ferrari likely lacks front downforce (at least relative to the rear). This is the problem that has been presented with the Ferrari front wing philosophy, it may be harder to extract more front downforce performance.

What’s weird is that it seems like the Red Bull chassis is not as good as it traditionally is, but the Honda PU has improved quite a bit. It also isn’t very draggy so their top speed is solid. They get a lot of downforce from their floor higher rake angle, but some of the new barge board rules have made it a bit harder to seal that area in the front. I imagine they’ll improve quite a bit though.

The telecast doesnt constantly show the straight line or corner speeds though - they flash it once or twice in a race for a few cars.  I'm wondering if people are using companion apps, or digging through some other trove of data to make these statements, or simply just repeating what the tv commentators might say. 

As opposed to say watching NFL or NBA where a viewer from the eye test alone can tell about an athletes form - whether hes quicker, slower, as good or bad hands, etc

The telecast doesnt constantly show the straight line or corner speeds though - they flash it once or twice in a race for a few cars.  I'm wondering if people are using companion apps, or digging through some other trove of data to make these statements, or simply just repeating what the tv commentators might say. 
As opposed to say watching NFL or NBA where a viewer from the eye test alone can tell about an athletes form - whether hes quicker, slower, as good or bad hands, etc

I see. A lot is straight from the FIA site, and other stuff is scrubbed from the feed somehow (I see people on Twitter have it), or even by using F1 TV Pro and just manually getting the data from the onboards and comparing it.

Some things you can see as well. There’s lots of qualifying lap comparisons too where the laps are side by side and you can see where time is gained and lost.

FIA site:

https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-one-world-championship/season-2019/eventtiming-information-8

https://jalopnik.com/f1-brazilian-grand-prix-will-continue-at-brand-new-trac-1834621973

The contract for the long-troubled and long-threatened Formula One Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos in São Paulo expires next year. According to Brazil’s president, those troubles will be left behind for another city—and newly constructed race track—soon.

Brazil’s president, Jair Bolsonaro, who is really not that great of a person, tweeted on Wednesday that the Brazilian Grand Prix will continue after the contract with its current host track, Interlagos, expires in 2020, as reported by Motorsport.com. Bolsonaro wrote that the race will be at a new track in Rio afterward, and that the investment would be “entirely private,” as per Twitter’s automatic translation:

“After our victory in the elections, Formula 1, which would leave Brazil, decided not only to remain, but also to build a new race track in [Rio de Janeiro], which will have the name of the idol Ayrton Senna,” Bolsonaro wrote, according to the translation. “With this, thousands of jobs will be created, benefiting the economy and the population of the state.”

F1 itself has yet to make any official announcements about a new host track or deal for a Brazilian Grand Prix after next year, and declined to comment when Jalopnik reached out to confirm the news. It should also be noted that Bolsonaro didn’t put a date on either of his tweets about the new track and moving of the race, but that São Paulo’s contract is through 2020.

Now, there used to be a Brazilian Grand Prix track in Rio, as Motorsport.com noted. That was the Jacarepagua circuit, which last hosted F1 in 1989, according to the New York TimesIt was demolished in order to prepare for the 2016 Summer Olympics. 

Bolsonaro told reporters that the new track will be built in six or seven months, according to Motorsport.com, and also claimed that São Paulo “has become impractical” because of public financial support. This falls in line with Bolsonaro’s right-wing, privatize-it-all doctrine.

Impractical or not, though, Motorsport.com reports that São Paulo insists its contract doesn’t end until 2020—as it has reiterated for years.

I'd been hearing for a while that this was happening but might be short of money (read: Government Assistance). I guess that assistance is en route since it's the prez announcing it...

I see an inverted COTA T8/9 in there (on the video version).

This pic differs a bit from the video.

08auto.jpg

No, I think we all know that a new set of "investors" simply outbid the old "investors" when it came to payouts to corrupt Brazilian officials.  That's the only way anything ever happens in that particular country.