2019 Little League Thread

pepper brooks

Today’s the big day... the fall ball draft. Found out as I suspected my youngest moving up a league is at the bottom of the national league top of the american. That’s the result of some time this summer in camps and at the park. Good on him. Hoping for a good outcome. Talked to on national league coach that wants him and an American League coach that wants him first pick. I’ll be able to coach with the AL coach as he was my other sons coach that asked me to join last season. Could be a no lose situation. Learn more or be the go to guy and I get to join him in the dugout.

4 hours ago, troph said:

Today’s the big day... the fall ball draft. Found out as I suspected my youngest moving up a league is at the bottom of the national league top of the american. That’s the result of some time this summer in camps and at the park. Good on him. Hoping for a good outcome. Talked to on national league coach that wants him and an American League coach that wants him first pick. I’ll be able to coach with the AL coach as he was my other sons coach that asked me to join last season. Could be a no lose situation. Learn more or be the go to guy and I get to join him in the dugout.

The conundrum of playing up or not when the kid is on the cusp. There are definitely benefits to playing in a more challenging situation but imo being the top player is more beneficial. Being the top player will result in a lot more reps and experience which will lead to more confidence.

4 hours ago, F250 said:

The conundrum of playing up or not when the kid is on the cusp. There are definitely benefits to playing in a more challenging situation but imo being the top player is more beneficial. Being the top player will result in a lot more reps and experience which will lead to more confidence.

That’s good because he’s an AL kid this fall.  Ugh, he’s right there. Batted lead off in the spring and made a real leap this summer.  Sucks they only field 5 NL teams this fall.  Gonna get the reps and work hard this fall.  I’m telling him he’s expected to make plays this season, and that will be a new place to be for him.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, F250 said:

Mexico vs. Japan on now.

Japan hammered Mexico those kids are playing at a higher level.

My son had just put on this game when I walked in the room. There was a segment of a player with a Japanese man. Me, "Hey one of those Japanese parents looks exactly like Darvish." My son just stared at me with a WTF face.

Mexico vs Venezuela

Venezuela kids are probably playing for food

7-3 Mexico bases loaded for VZ and a passed ball and VZ kids start running, but the kid on 3rd stops so you have 2 kids at 3rd and one runs back towards 2nd and Mexico throws to 2nd and the VZ kid from 3rd makes it home 7-4 Mexico

then an infield hit 7-5 Mexico 2 on 1 out runners on 1st and 3rd

1 hour ago, torre said:

https://www.littleleague.org/world-series/2019/llbws/bracket/

LLWS Final 4:

Hawaii/Virginia      Play Wed,  winner advances to US Champ Game,  Sat.

Louisiana vs RI/NJ winner 

Japan/Korea       Play Wed,  winner advances to Intl Champ Game, Sat

Venezuela/Curacao

Virginia vs Hawaii should be a great game.

Calling it now. Hawaii vs. Japan in the championship.

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Is Hawaii just a factory for great little league teams & QBs now? I never remembered them being so good at sports.

We have some friends that just moved back to Texas after living in Hawaii for the past 20 years and they said that youth baseball is serious business in Hawaii. Their talent tends to stay in the youth leagues as opposed to select ball unlike here on the mainland. I believe Hawaii usually performs better in the Pony baseball All Stars, its pretty rare for Hawaii to knock out California in the LL West Regional tournament.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:44 PM, F250 said:

Calling it now. Hawaii vs. Japan in the championship.

Sure looks likely.  Both Virginia and Louisiana have limited pitching depth and pitch count issues.  Louisiana burned their ace just to get to the semis.  He will only be available if the team beats Virginia and Hawaii to face (probably) Japan.  They'll use their #2 pitcher vs Virginia and they only have 1, maybe 2 decent kids behind that.  If they win tomorrow they will be starting a #3 or #4 pitcher against Hawaii.  Not a good situation.

Virginia is in slightly better shape.  Their ace, Lee is available tomorrow after being pulled in the 1st against the kids from Maui.  #2 pitcher threw 50 today and will likely be their starter in any Hawaii rematch.  Their #3 has appeared as a reliever in all 3 games and can pitch tomorrow against Louisiana.  The only guys behind them pitched in relief today only.  If they win tomorrow they will have their #2 starter and probably not much behind him for Saturday.

Hawaii has a wild looking pitching situation.  6 inning complete game shutout for their ace Pascual in game 1.  2 different pitchers: Kuloloia and Iwamura combined for a shutout in game 2.  Then they used 3 completely different pitchers today: Miyake-Matsubayashi, Nashiwa and Hong.  I have NEVER seen a LLWS where a team went three games without any pitcher making more than a single appearance.  It's even odder considering they've used 6 pitchers.  Obviously no pitcher availability issues for Hawaii after 2 days rest.

Korea could not dominate Japan with their pitching and power hitting.  Japan's 2 pitchers gave up only 3 hits.  Of course 2 of them were HRs - both on 1-2 counts where the pitcher left one hanging.  They couldn't rally because Japan's pitching is both strong and gives up few walks.  Korea is down their ace against Curacao but they have their next 3 that can go.  Curacao's staff will be at full strength.

• Like 1

One thing that is clearly noticeable with the age change is the quality of baseball is diminished greatly over previous years.  The hitting is mostly atrocious.  Watching these swings, and wondering how these kids are all-stars and coaches allow some of this stuff is mind blowing.  There  are 5-10 teams playing out at BBUSA in Houston every weekend who would boat race any of these teams.  

Edited by pepper brooks

One thing that is clearly noticeable with the age change is the quality of baseball is diminished greatly over previous years.  The hitting is mostly atrocious.  Watching these swings, and wondering how these kids are all-stars and coaches allow some of this stuff is mind blowing.  There  are 5-10 teams playing out at BBUSA in Houston every weekend who would boat race any of these teams.  

Testosterone is a helluva drug.
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

A thing I like about LL though is the fact that unlike I believe every other sport it is age based.

Flag (and tackle now) Football, Lacrosse and Basketball (at least for us) have been grade based.

Baseball prevents all the redshirt parents who want their child to be the oldest and biggest from taking over the sport.

Edited by BrazilHorn

2 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

A thing I like about LL though is the fact that unlike I believe every other sport it is age based.

Flag (and tackle now) Football, Lacrosse and Basketball (at least for us) have been grade based.

Baseball prevents all the redshirt parents who want their child to be the oldest and biggest from taking over the sport.

Yea, what's interesting is the quandary the older kids face in baseball.  So my son is 12 he plays Select ball (DFW) and birthday in January.  Cut-off is April 30th so he just moved into 13U.  So what ends up happening is you have kids born in June/July/August (and occasionally May) who are already 13.  Some of those kids are in 7th grade some of those kids are in 8th grade.  Those that are in 8th grade start having this bit of an uh-oh moment when they get to this point.  They have always been playing with the grade behind them but there is all of a sudden this "oh shit" realization that next year they are going to be freshman, that means HS ball and they have never played against the kids they will truly be competing for spots with on their HS team and if they make that team who they will play.

Been interesting to see how some handle, especially as those kids often, though not always have tended to excel as the "oldest" in their age group and are now all of a sudden about to be the youngest in their cohort.  I think largely the years of being good and getting reps helps but there is definitely a moment of truth to be faced if you have been playing age appropriate but a "grade" behind.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Yea, what's interesting is the quandary the older kids face in baseball.  So my son is 12 he plays Select ball (DFW) and birthday in January.  Cut-off is April 30th so he just moved into 13U.  So what ends up happening is you have kids born in June/July/August (and occasionally May) who are already 13.  Some of those kids are in 7th grade some of those kids are in 8th grade.  Those that are in 8th grade start having this bit of an uh-oh moment when they get to this point.  They have always been playing with the grade behind them but there is all of a sudden this "oh shit" realization that next year they are going to be freshman, that means HS ball and they have never played against the kids they will truly be competing for spots with on their HS team and if they make that team who they will play.

Been interesting to see how some handle, especially as those kids often, though not always have tended to excel as the "oldest" in their age group and are now all of a sudden about to be the youngest in their cohort.  I think largely the years of being good and getting reps helps but there is definitely a moment of truth to be faced if you have been playing age appropriate but a "grade" behind.

That's going to happen to my son this fall ball with Pony league. He is 12 with a March birthday. Lucky for him he is fairly tall for his age so that helps with adjustment.

20 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Damn, Virginia had b2b no-hitters but couldn't make the American Finals?  

Seems they were playing too tight,  especially the pitchers.    With due respect to their coach for an outstanding season,  he does not seem the type that getting a team to relax is his forte.

But congrats to Louisiana for repping the SW Region in the USA Finals.

11 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Excellent observation. Play your grade, not your age if you plan to play in High School. My youngest two sons were part of the very tail end of the age cut off in baseball but always played up to play with their grade level. If you are a 13 year old in the Spring of 8th grade you need to be in 14U not 13U and definitely transitioned to swinging a -3 BBCOR. You don't want to have to make that adjustment as you start facing high school teenagers on the diamond in 16U fall baseball.

• Like 1

Great game by Curacao.  Uncharacteristic mistakes by Japan cost them the game.  First 2 errors of the tournament for them. 

If Hawaii wins, there will be 2 teams from the islands meeting in the LLWS finals.  Curacao used their 3 best pitchers yesterday and today.  Profar threw 85 Thursday and is out.   Today Martinus threw 50 pitches and Martha >50 so they won't be available tomorrow.  Tough choice who they will pitch since those 3 guys have been their best by far.  Rosina pitched a complete game against Canada but either US team is a lot better than that.  Tromp and Mogen had very short appearances in relief.

10 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Hawaii has been a Little League monster for quite a while. I’m surprised the state hasn’t sent more players to the bigs. Charlie Hough and Ron Darling are probably the biggest names from there.

Don’t forget Sid Fernandez 

Edited by EuroHorn

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Louisiana is destroying Hawaii. I am a little skeptical of this Lousiana team. Coach seems like a hired gun, I wouldn't be surprised if he was there select coach that just happened to volunteer as a Little League coach.

Astute observation.

Cursory check of the rosters shows only the Louisiana and Hawaii teams do not have a parent on the coaching staff.   Not that is the be-all/end-all, but...

Once that Louisiana team burned through their starter they had nothing on the mound.  They're lucky to get out of this game with the W.  I'm a bit surprised the manager for Hawaii didn't make more of an effort to escalate the pitch count early.  Going to be a crazy final with all of those big hitters and no pitching.