2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

56 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol didn’t Vegas pick the lakers last summer too? The lakers have a 0 chance of winning. Even if they get AD they will have nothing around them worth a shit.

If they add AD that could be a really tough team to beat. They would have two of the best defensive players in the NBA playing together. 

49 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Are we still pretending that Lebron isn’t an elite defender when he wants to be?

At his age for 82 games plus how tough the west would be for 3 rounds then the nba finals? With lebron and AD and a unknown roster and bench? no, I would put multiple teams ahead of a team that has made zero upgrades and yet they leapfrog everyone? Lol. Even if they add AD they would have to make multiple roster moves to compete as a title contender. And I bet money they cave and trade kuzma because if I was the Pels I wouldn’t do anything unless he’s involved.

21 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

At his age for 82 games plus how tough the west would be for 3 rounds then the nba finals? With lebron and AD and a unknown roster and bench? no, I would put multiple teams ahead of a team that has made zero upgrades and yet they leapfrog everyone? Lol. Even if they add AD they would have to make multiple roster moves to compete as a title contender. And I bet money they cave and trade kuzma because if I was the Pels I wouldn’t do anything unless he’s involved.

I’m not saying they leapfrog everyone but they would certainly be a title contender. What team has a better first two than that? And I wouldn’t worry about Lebron or AD playing anywhere close to 82 games. Especially after Kawhi and the Raps showed the difference that rest can make come playoffs.

3 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

The list of guys that could have been elite defenders if they wanted to be is long and distinguished.  But you are spot on.... If he wants to be.

Lebron has made 6 all defensive teams in his career. He is undoubtedly an elite defender. He doesn’t always play with effort during the regular season but I think everyone should see pretty easily that playoff Lebron and regular season Lebron are not the same.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m not saying they leapfrog everyone but they would certainly be a title contender. What team has a better first two than that? And I wouldn’t worry about Lebron or AD playing anywhere close to 82 games. Especially after Kawhi and the Raps showed the difference that rest can make come playoffs.

Depending how things shake out in free agency, the West is going to be as weak as it's been in 20+ years.

Not saying a Lebron + AD team is a title favorite, but I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the rest of the 19-20 West teams.  

Without KD & Klay, GS may win 50 games, but not 55.  Denver?  Interesting team but not ready for prime time and they don't have a bell cow (sorry Jokic fans, but he's not a Lebron/KD/Steph/Kawhi).  Portland?  Pfft.  Houston?  If you ain't getting better, you're getting worse.  OKC & Spurs?  First round exits both of them.

Crazy as it sounds, I actually think a potential Kawhi-led Clippers team could be the best of the bunch.

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

I'm not a huge Kyrie fan--nor am I a hater. He's a weird dude and a shit leader, but I think he really wants to win (even if he doesn't always know what that entails), and there's few people in league history that I'd rather see with the ball in a big moment.

...but, man, KD is really going to hitch himself to that wagon for the rest of his prime after being part of the Warriors' culture for 3 seasons? I get wanting to go off and build something, but I didn't view a KD/KI pairing as a sure thing even before the Achilles. Now Kyrie is going to have a year on his own of scarring New York or Brooklyn's youth?

Kawhi being added to the clippers is different because they can sign him and add to what they have without losing anyone else. AD has to be traded to the lakers which would gut their roster and draft picks. Depending on what they put around those two would matter a lot. I definitely would put the clippers in the top 2 of the West if kawhi goes. 

I expect a lot of teams to make moves which is why it’s weird that Vegas would put the lakers at 1 when it’s an assumption at this point that’s where AD will land, if you’re gonna make that assumption you could make the kawhi to the clippers assumption as well which would be a better team imo.

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Kawhi being added to the clippers is different because they can sign him and add to what they have without losing anyone else. AD has to be traded to the lakers which would gut their roster and draft picks. Depending on what they put around those two would matter a lot. I definitely would put the clippers in the top 2 of the West if kawhi goes. 

I expect a lot of teams to make moves which is why it’s weird that Vegas would put the lakers at 1 when it’s an assumption at this point that’s where AD will land, if you’re gonna make that assumption you could make the kawhi to the clippers assumption as well which would be a better team imo.

Again they don’t need much around LBJ and AD to compete. The west won’t be that strong and having 2 of the 5 best guys in the league matters a lot. The fucking Pels won 48 games with AD, Jrue, and Boogie for half the year. 

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I really hope Kawhi signs with LAC - it'd be worth it just to see Spurs fans' reactions to Doc & Kawhi & Ballmer sweep them out of the first round.  Heads all around SA be exploding.

22 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Again they don’t need much around LBJ and AD to compete. The west won’t be that strong and having 2 of the 5 best guys in the league matters a lot. The fucking Pels won 48 games with AD, Jrue, and Boogie for half the year. 

All I’m saying is wait until all the moves are done before the entire West is assumed to be trash. A lot of teams will make moves besides LA. 

Some minor rumblings...not sure how real this is...

Lakers get Anthony Davis

Chicago Bulls get Lonzo, 4th pick, and Solomon Hill

New Orleans gets: 2020 FRP unprotected from Lakers, Kuzma, Hart, LaVine, 7th pick 

Not surprising at all.

If KD re-signs and Kawhi stays with Toronto, there's going to be a lot of money to be spent on the Jimmy Butler, Tobias Harris, Kyrie and guys further down the pecking order.  If Kyrie goes to Brooklyn and Philly holds on to one of their free agents (probably Harris) then guys like Vucevic and Russell could be maxed out.  Trade market may pick up.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

I can almost remember watching Mychal Thompson play a few minutes with the Lakers.  If this is the dude I am thinking of he was a very good 6th man type, could have started for many teams.  Also, reading about defense gives me chills because when I think Lakers and defense I think of only one man, Michael Cooper.  He could take down almost anybody, and do it clean.  

9 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

I can almost remember watching Mychal Thompson play a few minutes with the Lakers.  If this is the dude I am thinking of he was a very good 6th man type, could have started for many teams.  Also, reading about defense gives me chills because when I think Lakers and defense I think of only one man, Michael Cooper.  He could take down almost anybody, and do it clean.  

It is.  He was the #1 pick in the draft in the late 70's.  Good solid player.  

Hmmm...

All that talk about Ainge being able to make the best offer was just that, talk.    He is gonna try and low ball NO under the pretense that AD wont re-sign there.   He will ultimately miss out on getting another franchise changing player.

Danny got too cute. I thought the nets pick from a year ago was the holy grail but it didn't turn out as good(or bad) as I predicted. Maybe he shouldve made a play for brow then...

But NO turned into buyers all of a sudden and got boogie so it all went pear shaped.

I guess the lesson is... pull the trigger if the opportunity presents itself

On 6/14/2019 at 12:20 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

OKC would have a shot next year if they could some shooters.  Who am I kidding?  They'll get a bunch of rangy, defensive shooting guards who can't shoot.

as long as Russ is in OKC they will never have a shot to win a title. 

Playing around with the ESPN NBA trade machine, CJ McCollum + Nurkic for AD + Solomon Hill is successful...who says no?

Gary Harris + Barton + Porter Jr for AD + Hill also successful.

•  

I actually don’t mind the first one that much IF there was a way to include two first round picks going to NOP. Otherwise no way that deal happens

No chance at the second because that’s an awful trade for NOP.

Playing around with the ESPN NBA trade machine, CJ McCollum + Nurkic for AD + Solomon Hill is successful...who says no?

Gary Harris + Barton + Porter Jr for AD + Hill also successful.

•  

I think the first one is not terrible on its face, but it's probably not enough as I think the Pelicans want some picks that can generate potential young talent to build with Zion.  My gut is that the Pelicans want an even younger talent than CJ at 27, but if they are really high on him and there are no other worthy offers, who knows.  Still, the threat of the one year of AD has got to have a chilling effect on most teams offering good packages.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

That’s what was said about Kawhi too.

The Raptors are a better organization that the Lakers. They'll have Lebron AD and nothing else, they can't afford to rest AD like Toronto did for Kawhi. Also no one said that about Kawhi cause no one believed he was really injured.

Edited by Michael Knight

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

The Raptors are a better organization that the Lakers. They'll have Lebron AD and nothing else, they can't afford to rest AD like Toronto did for Kawhi. Also no one said that about Kawhi cause no one believed he was really injured.

They gave up Ingram who has DVT, Lonzo who can’t shoot, and the 4th pick in this draft (Culver, Reddish, etc.). Hart is the best piece they gave up for this year. They got one of the 5 best guys in the league. They didn’t give up that much