2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

And have you watched some of their games?  They're so much more enjoyable to watch.  And all those draft picks.  Presti is a top 5 GM, no doubt. 
I think this is the route the wolves are going to need to take with kat... but i don't think the market for a crying little bitch after every miss is super high

11 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

End of 3 and I believe the tally is 18 made 3s for Dallas and 17 for Portland. 

yup 

18-40 and 17-29(!)

I know that I'm "Get off my Lawn" old man with this take, but is anybody else turned off by all the three point shooting? I enjoyed the game more when the 3-ball was more of a novelty/desperation thing than the focal point of an offense. I miss post play. I miss the physicality of the game. I miss double teaming out of the post and rotating. I miss passing in tight spaces. I miss the mid-range baseline jumper and the turnaround and fade away.

Dallas and Portland combined for 76 3-point attempts last night. And made 43 of them! The players and game have evolved and the shot is too easy now. They either need to go back to allowing hand checking or move the line back. Or call fouls in the post like they do on the perimeter. As it stands now, the offensive player is at too great of an advantage.

• Like 1

I know that I'm "Get off my Lawn" old man with this take, but is anybody else turned off by all the three point shooting? I enjoyed the game more when the 3-ball was more of a novelty/desperation thing than the focal point of an offense. I miss post play. I miss the physicality of the game. I miss double teaming out of the post and rotating. I miss passing in tight spaces. I miss the mid-range baseline jumper and the turnaround and fade away.
Dallas and Portland combined for 76 3-point attempts last night. And made 43 of them! The players and game have evolved and the shot is too easy now. They either need to go back to allowing hand checking or move the line back. Or call fouls in the post like they do on the perimeter. As it stands now, the offensive player is at too great of an advantage.
I dont mind the 3s taken, live by the die by the yaddy yada...i cant stand superstar preferential treatment

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Nah you are not the only one.     Games devolve into 3p contests almost.    There was a stretch in the Lakers/Nets game where they shot like 8 or 10 straight threes each on their possessions.   Its to the point now that I dont even understand why defenses swing to guys inside the line.   No need to double those guys cause 90% of them are not looking to shoot when they go inside the line.

• Like 1

Same here.  They're no nuance to this.  It's just make a pass or two and jack up a three.  Sure, it works in the regular season from a numbers standpoint but those open shots disappear in the playoffs and these 3's are now wild, contested 3's with 2 second left on the shot clock.  The Warriors/Rockets series was painful to watch.  Yes, I know Golden State has won multiple titles but they have not one but two generational shooters.  Most teams don't have one.

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I agree somewhat. A timely 3 is a thing of beauty and a back breaker. But when some teams and idiots just come down the court and jack up a 3, even if it goes in, it is annoying. Even the center shooter runs to his 'spot' on a fast break. Dudes, 6'9", shooting 33% 3P, should be going to the rim on fast breaks. I blame it on the analytics and softness of today's players.

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Just depends on if they can make them...if they take a 3 after having the ball for all of 5-7 seconds, sure...but if their is a ton of ball movement to swing it around to the open man I don't mind it.

I do, however, agree with the moving the line back.  Move it back several feet at least.  And honestly, do away the side/corner 3 all together.  That's the easiest shot in the NBA right now...and you get a full 3 points for it.  Make a 3 a tougher shot.  If you can't hit it from 35+ feet you shouldn't take it.

5 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I dont mind the 3s taken, live by the die by the yaddy yada...i cant stand superstar preferential treatment

Superstar preferential treatment has been the bane of my existence since I realized it was happening. I don't care if you Bron, Harden, or fucking Michael Jordan, a fucking foul is the same as if it's the 12th player on the Twolves driving to the lane.  A foul is a foul.  Don't tell me "Well that's Lebron, he'll get those calls" while I see Luka or whoever getting absolutely beat up down low on the other end.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Just depends on if they can make them...if they take a 3 after having the ball for all of 5-7 seconds, sure...but if their is a ton of ball movement to swing it around to the open man I don't mind it.

I do, however, agree with the moving the line back.  Move it back several feet at least.  And honestly, do away the side/corner 3 all together.  That's the easiest shot in the NBA right now...and you get a full 3 points for it.  Make a 3 a tougher shot.  If you can't hit it from 35+ feet you shouldn't take it.

Superstar preferential treatment has been the bane of my existence since I realized it was happening. I don't care if you Bron, Harden, or fucking Michael Jordan, a fucking foul is the same as if it's the 12th player on the Twolves driving to the lane.  A foul is a foul.  Don't tell me "Well that's Lebron, he'll get those calls" while I see Luka or whoever getting absolutely beat up down low on the other end.

I think you can leave the line where it is but eliminate the corner three and it basically solves the issue. It takes away the incentive for big men to drift out to the corners which helps get back some of the old post game. Also keeps rim protectors closer to the rim.

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

I think you can leave the line where it is but eliminate the corner three and it basically solves the issue. It takes away the incentive for big men to drift out to the corners which helps get back some of the old post game. Also keeps rim protectors closer to the rim.

Fair.  Would be a decent compromise.  Basically anything inside the line at the top of the key would be a 2 pt shot, and it would even change the way the floor is spaced. You could still have that close corner shot to spread the floor, it just wouldn't be as productive a shot as it is now.

17 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

lmao, LeBron just drove, was defended, missed the shot, the 76ers grabbed the board, LeBron turned to the official and pleaded for a foul, and then he got it. Like a full second and a half after any potential foul would have occurred. that was dumb.

on another possession Lakers played 4on5 while lebron whined.  

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

5 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

on another possession Lakers played 4on5 while lebron whined.  

lol yes, it was ridiculous. he literally was off screen arguing with the ref for the entire possession, and then Vogel called TO and they pan to LeBron STILL arguing and screaming and gesticulating like it's the most egregious injustice he's ever seen. the guy never stops.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

oh wow, so LeBron is going to pass Kobe in scoring in Kobe's hometown, while playing for Kobe's old team. that's rather poetic.  

he wants Kareem so badly, hence no load management. 

Lakers are so slow on the perimeter, can't catch all the quick NBA rabbits.

lmao, LeBron just drove, was defended, missed the shot, the 76ers grabbed the board, LeBron turned to the official and pleaded for a foul, and then he got it. Like a full second and a half after any potential foul would have occurred. that was dumb.

I’m too lazy to look up, but one thing that bugs me about lebron is how many times has he fouled out in a game? Health wise he’s been elite so he’s played thousands of games at 30+min a game... you can’t me his actual number which is probably 4 shouldn’t be much higher.

14 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’m too lazy to look up, but one thing that bugs me about lebron is how many times has he fouled out in a game? Health wise he’s been elite so he’s played thousands of games at 30+min a game... you can’t me his actual number which is probably 4 shouldn’t be much higher.

for his career, LeBron gets called for 1.7 fouls per 36 minutes, and has fouled out six times. he also leads the league in complaining to officials.

9 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Buddy Hield scored 20 points on 6-6 shooting in the 4th quarter tonight. He joined Kobe Bryant (Dec. 6, 2002 vs Mavericks) as the only players in the last 20 seasons with a 20-point, 100% shooting 4th quarter in a game where his team overcame a 25-point deficit to win.

5 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Buddy Hield scored 20 points on 6-6 shooting in the 4th quarter tonight. He joined Kobe Bryant (Dec. 6, 2002 vs Mavericks) as the only players in the last 20 seasons with a 20-point, 100% shooting 4th quarter in a game where his team overcame a 25-point deficit to win.

Fuck that game.  Still a hole in my wall over that Laker comeback.

TNT Basketball is going to be intense tonight. 

NBA on TNT will feature a tribute to Kobe Bryant with a one-hour pregame show tomorrow, Tuesday, Jan. 28, at 7 p.m. ET. Studio coverage throughout the night will be live from STAPLES Center in Los Angeles with Inside the NBA’s Ernie Johnson, Shaquille O’Neal, Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith joined by Dwyane Wade, Candace Parker, Steve Nash and other special guests.

TNT’s pregame, halftime and postgame coverage – all primarily focused on Bryant – will originate from STAPLES Center, which was slated to host the postponed Lakers/Clippers game.

Edited by hundredTT

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Payton has lost his mind. That should be a huge suspension. 10 games minimum. I wouldn't argue with 15+. Zero place for that in the league. 

yep, I hate bitchassness.    Gusy wanna get mad cause they are getting their asses kicked.    How about play hard the other 47 mins.

• Like 1

And by the way, the video above doesn't show the entire clip. The game is essentially over, the Griz are up by 18 with less than a minute left. The Knicks have conceded. They lazily inbound the ball looking to run out the clock and Crowder sneaks in and steals the ball. It reminded me when Bird stole the ball from Isiah Thomas, except the only thing it had in common with that epic moment in NBA history was that there was a steal of an inbounds pass. And truthfully, the Knicks don't seem so bothered by the steal even though on its own merit, is a rather large-sized bitch move when the game is all but over. But to pour salt in the wound, after the steal Crowder looks like he's going to dribble out the clock and retreats to the sideline. Then he launches a three. You just can't do that type of shit, twice. It's completely disrespectful. Payton can't go decking him like that but Crowder exhibited terrible sportsmanship. I don't blame Payton for being pissed. 

• Like 1

And by the way, the video above doesn't show the entire clip. The game is essentially over, the Griz are up by 18 with less than a minute left. The Knicks have conceded. They lazily inbound the ball looking to run out the clock and Crowder sneaks in and steals the ball. It reminded me when Bird stole the ball from Isiah Thomas, except the only thing it had in common with that epic moment in NBA history was that there was a steal of an inbounds pass. And truthfully, the Knicks don't seem so bothered by the steal even though on its own merit, is a rather large-sized bitch move when the game is all but over. But to pour salt in the wound, after the steal Crowder looks like he's going to dribble out the clock and retreats to the sideline. Then he launches a three. You just can't do that type of shit, twice. It's completely disrespectful. Payton can't go decking him like that but Crowder exhibited terrible sportsmanship. I don't blame Payton for being pissed. 

Yes.

Crowder was acting an ass most of the 2nd half. What he did at the end was a bitch move and was rightfully addressed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Never liked Payton because of that thing he called hair that dangled in front of his face. Team crowder

I fucking hated that shit when he played for us.    No coincidence that he cut that shit during his contract yr.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Crowder has zero business taking that shot but Payton can't react like that. I think anything more than a couple of games is overkill though. 

No way. That's the worst foul i've seen in a long time. zero percent basketball play, just straight up assaulting a guy because you're salty that you're losing. i'd set an example of him and suspend him 10+ games and fine him five, maybe even up to six figures, assuming the league has some sort of clause about extreme cases like this, which if they don't they should. that was super dangerous and the precedent should be set that if you straight up assault a guy you will pay dearly.

Edited by Goo Punch

9 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

so? how does this change anything? you're losing, you made a lazy inbounds pass, he stole it and then shot it; and? that excuses blatantly trying to hurt someone? because you don't like the way he was acting? i don't think so. take the loss, pussy. don't pull a bitch move like that because your feelings got hurt. 

Edited by Goo Punch

and really, what you're saying is this- if there's a player on another team who i don't like for any reason, then the next time i play that guy i can run up and two-hand shove him in the chest and up into the stands at the opening tip, and the appropriate suspension would be a couple of games. yeah i don't think so. 

Edited by Goo Punch