The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

This. High hat, ride, and crash. None of these are expendable in any respectable jam sesh.

Exactly.  And maybe a couple of splash cymbals.  And a China crash and, really, you're gonna want a Swiss crash for a lighter sound.  Oh, well, and obviously a ribbon crasher and a second hi-hat under the ride for when you're heavy in the toms.  I also like to keep a bell splash on the left side by my primary hi-hats for when I want that accent, but don't want to turn or am playing primarily rimshots to the left.  And at minimum - MINIMUM - you need a gong behind you.  

Other than that, just keep it simple.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

3 cymbals (+ hihat) is too many?  I mean, I get it I guess, I set my daughter up with HH, crash and ride, but that photo does NOT show the level to which cymbalmania can go.

Of course, if that's all he plays, then go all Sting V Stewart on his ass.

Its not the number of cymbals that's at issue, its the timing and frequency with which he hits them. Until we find the right singer, I'm doing all the cring-worthy singing in practice. He smashes them right in the middle of a vocal line sometimes and it'll startle me, then the transient noise from them ringing post-crash drives me nuts. He's a pretty good drummer though, he's just sensitive when i try to tell him how I want things to sound.

45 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Maybe learn to shred louder? 

(Full disclosure: I'm a drummer and that three cymbal set-up is what I would consider a bare minimum for anything resembling rock, blues, etc.)

I have the Les Paul that sounds like the right hand of Thor plugged into a Super Reverb with the Vol on 6. Loud is not the issue.

20 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

I'm in love with a bass player

I kinda had a crush on our bass player for a minute. I think she has a crush on me, or did. She's pretty cute.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Its not the number of cymbals that's at issue, its the timing and frequency with which he hits them. Until we find the right singer, I'm doing all the cring-worthy singing in practice. He smashes them right in the middle of a vocal line sometimes and it'll startle me, then the transient noise from them ringing post-crash drives me nuts. He's a pretty good drummer though, he's just sensitive when i try to tell him how I want things to sound.

Oh, yeah, that's a different problem.  Your drummer isn't completely aware of his job with regards to the song.

33 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I have the Les Paul that sounds like the right hand of Thor plugged into a Super Reverb with the Vol on 6. Loud is not the issue.

I kinda had a crush on our bass player for a minute. I think she has a crush on me, or did. She's pretty cute.

2b3c328261fc933a76baa2c43d29d94b3811ca32

• Like 1

Oh, yeah, that's a different problem.   Your drummer isn't completely aware of his job with regards to the song.

That is well put jj.

I'm the primary song writer but I encourage them both to contribute. Jessica works on it and brings stuff to the table. Sometimes I'll take her bass and show her how I hear the bassline, then send her home and tell her to make it her own. She always impresses me with what she comes back with, sometimes with something completely different and better than what I thought. Hell, she took one progression I came up with and wrote the lyrics and arrangement to what is probably our best song. Or we'll discuss arrangements and come up with something so all the songs are different. Or we'll be like "does it like "this" or like "this"?". Anytime we have those discussions he just tunes out and goes into outer space. Then I'll ask his opinion and he's all, "It doesnt matter to me. You all are the songwriters."

He's a good guy and good drummer though, I just got to get him to focus more on the songs than on his own little world I think.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

He's a good guy and good drummer though, I just got to get him to focus more on the songs than on his own little world I think.

While I totally follow how it goes down and that sounds pretty much how lots of bands and groups create, the quote above doesn't quite compute. A drummer isn't good because of technical chops; he's good first and foremost because he supports and contributes to the music. A teacher once told me a drummer should be felt more and heard less. Give me someone that holds a clean beat on time and in line with the song  over a fancy fills dude every day and twice on Sunday. See Steve Gadd play and while he can do lots of crazy shit behind a kit, he is simply and maniacally committed to the rhythm section's job. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

While I totally follow how it goes down and that sounds pretty much how lots of bands and groups create, the quote above doesn't quite compute. A drummer isn't good because of technical chops; he's good first and foremost because he supports and contributes to the music. A teacher once told me a drummer should be felt more and heard less. Give me someone that holds a clean beat on time and in line with the song  over a fancy fills dude every day and twice on Sunday. See Steve Gadd play and while he can do lots of crazy shit behind a kit, he is simply and maniacally committed to the rhythm section's job. 

It's the space you leave that makes the music.

• Like 3

Now I'm gonna start whining about our drummer before every practice. He absolutely killed it tonight. In fact, I was so happy I kept fucking up cause he'd hit, or not hit, something so perfect I'd start thinking, "wow! Listen to this guy", then I'd forget my chord haha. He either hit the fills where they belonged, or missed them all together, which is fine so long as he doesnt then add them back someplace else. By the end he hit all of them and I hugged him.

Jessica gave me a ride home, she thought maybe it was because he was tired lol.

I think I have a crush on her again.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Got damn I can’t wait to have a full practice space setup. Then I’ll just need to find some friends to jam with.

Ahum.  We need to have lunch and/or happy hour cocktails soon.  I may have an idea and have a great female singer.  Plus, I've been looking for an excuse to by a PA system.  

• Like 1

Musician's Friend has the 2018 SG Faded for $499 as its deal of the day today.  Ridiculous price for a US made guitar.  I have an older version of one of these and really like it.  Mine has the fat 50s neck.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?icid=210190

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:48 PM, tbone_ said:

I used to have a single rectifier. Great amp. IIRC, the singles have a ss rectifier which I thought sounded better on the cleans than the tube in the dual and triple.

My current practice/gig amp is an old Mesa 22 caliber. I’ve always been a Mesa fan. They’re really just hotrodded fenders after all.

I have a single rec and feel the same way. my other guitar player had the triple and I didn't like it as much

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Fuck. Now they replaced the SG with a Firebird Studio for $699. Honestly, in the Firebird's case I like the stripped down Studio version better than the ovey dresses up Standard.

Very tempted.

I used zzound's "Seen It For Less" feature, typed in $499 at Musician's Friend ($0 shipping), and they came back with a quote of $508.33 with free shipping on the SG Faded. 

DO IT.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

SDOTD is a Gibson SG faded for $499

I really like the 2016 model I bought a year or two ago, except for the sticking at the nut that made the g go out of tune. I finally filed it out a little and stuck some pencil lead in it and it made a world of difference. I like the solid feel and resonance of it, the rich mahogany sustain.

Our drummer brought this to practice tonight, he's told me about it before.

He's a cabinet maker type carpenter by trade and is a trained luthier / guitar builder. He built this Les Paul cope from nothing, DougO approved type another. He may have mined the metals and felled the tree.

He shaped and finished the body. Carved the neck, hand cut the inlays into the fingerboard, etc. Literally from scratch save hardware. The P-90s are Seymore Duncan. I played it in practice for a while and not only can I say it played like butter, those P-90s fucking scream, that may be what goes in my other guitars. I was playing it into that Mesa I posted up thread.

1572758412d9eef0599b28b25799e7ff.jpg8a24807828904d6be6d015f8dafb5dd0.jpgced405a69f78fb83f1f3493f6f927642.jpg4a7c8d127c133fb97bec912da045015d.jpg52e8a2531c356fda4a7cf7639b242236.jpgff40b1160fbd1b4c0f7e9bdff26142c6.jpg348574e089231d488ffea9ee783d733c.jpg

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Our drummer brought this to practice tonight, he's told me about it before.

He's a cabinet maker type carpenter by trade and is a trained luthier / guitar builder. He built this Les Paul cope from nothing, DougO approved type another. He may have mined the metals and felled the tree.

He shaped and finished the body. Carved the neck, hand cut the inlays into the fingerboard, etc. Literally from scratch save hardware. The P-90s are Seymore Duncan. I played it in practice for a while and not only can I say it played like butter, those P-90s fucking scream, that may be what goes in my other guitars. I was playing it into that Mesa I posted up thread.

1572758412d9eef0599b28b25799e7ff.jpg8a24807828904d6be6d015f8dafb5dd0.jpgced405a69f78fb83f1f3493f6f927642.jpg4a7c8d127c133fb97bec912da045015d.jpg52e8a2531c356fda4a7cf7639b242236.jpgff40b1160fbd1b4c0f7e9bdff26142c6.jpg348574e089231d488ffea9ee783d733c.jpg

Would he mind you popping a pic of the wiring? I collect photos of that, and I would like to see how he set it up.