The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

11 hours ago, Deej said:

You can get a Fender Road Worn in Butterscotch for about $900, nitro finish, case included. Highly regarded guitars. But some don't like the relic thing, although it's very lightly done on the new ones. 

For about $800, you can get a 50's Baja in Butterscotch. Might be the best Tele for the money Fender makes. Love mine. Nice fat neck, if you're into that.

The Vic thread is that way --------------------------------------->

I regularly knock down the back of my necks with a scotch brite pad. 

On my strat and tele I had all the neck finish sanded off with steel wool including the fretboard. Then planed perfectly true and rubbed with carnuba wax to seal. Then big ass frets installed and trued. Expensive but they are the best playing guitars anyone will ever play. Plus the necks wear great after.

My tech guy here in Phoenix recommended it. I told him after he did the strat first that I guessed I hadn’t ever played a guitar that was set up right in 35 years because I didn’t know they could play like this.

True story.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BoomMF said:

That's the one part of a relic job that even non-relic fans will do to their guitars - sand the neck. 

Coincidentally, and the reason why that Gibson HP-II SDofD was the worst timed deal and what will no doubt be a life-long regret I will have to bear, I'm talking with the dude over at Wild West about this guitar I was eyeing since seeing it in his shop a month or so ago. He won't move much on it, but I'm warming up to the idea that he won't have to.

https://reverb.com/item/3227181-fender-custom-shop-1960-stratocaster-heavy-relic-rosewood-slab-board-olympic-white

And the neck feels like warm apple pie.

Slap the big headstock on that and that’s wheelhouse for me. 

12 hours ago, BoomMF said:

That's the one part of a relic job that even non-relic fans will do to their guitars - sand the neck. 

Coincidentally, and the reason why that Gibson HP-II SDofD was the worst timed deal and what will no doubt be a life-long regret I will have to bear, I'm talking with the dude over at Wild West about this guitar I was eyeing since seeing it in his shop a month or so ago. He won't move much on it, but I'm warming up to the idea that he won't have to.

https://reverb.com/item/3227181-fender-custom-shop-1960-stratocaster-heavy-relic-rosewood-slab-board-olympic-white

And the neck feels like warm apple pie.

Slap the big headstock on that and that’s wheelhouse for me. 

12 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleRW50BLD--fender-road-worn-50s-telecaster-blonde-with-maple-fingerboard

with tweed case $1024 OTD.  I don't know if I can do a Mexican made guitar again... I have the Hendrix strat already... problem is if this were an American relic id be like 4k or some shit

The Mexican Fenders I've played have all been great.  So, go for it, of course.

29 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

The Mexican Fenders I've played have all been great.  So, go for it, of course.

This. My Tele and Esquire are MIM. Anything above what used to be the Standards are really well made. 

Teles are a plank of wood with a neck bolted on. They really are hard to mess up, particularly with CNC these days doing the routing. 

Edited by Deej

2 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleRW50BLD--fender-road-worn-50s-telecaster-blonde-with-maple-fingerboard

with tweed case $1024 OTD.  I don't know if I can do a Mexican made guitar again... I have the Hendrix strat already... problem is if this were an American relic id be like 4k or some shit

I really like the Fender MIM reissues including the road worn series, but I personally wouldn't pay $1k for one. But that's just me. I get why some guys prefer to buy new guitars, but I tend to buy used to get more bang for my buck. You can buy a used American Vintage Reissue 52 for $1100-1300, and it will retain its value if that's a concern. 

Edited by Foggy Notion
  • Like 2

I really like the Fender MIM reissues including the road worn series, but I personally wouldn't pay $1k for one. But that's just me. I get why some guys prefer to buy new guitars, but I tend to buy used to get more bang for my buck. You can buy a used American Vintage Reissue 52 for $1100-1300, and it will retain its value if that's a concern. 

Agree.

Got my American Special Tele for like $680 and shipped for free from a music store on Reverb. American made for pretty darn cheap.

45 minutes ago, Deej said:

Those look like the kind of dings that lead to big chunks of finish coming off. 

Meh.  My Dad's old Strat has those kind of dings in them.  I'd estimate they've been there since the mid-late 60s, and he's had no big chunks of finish come off.  He has a late 60s (poly) Tele, with the same kind of dings.  Once again, no major issues.  Just long standing chips.

And that is a guitar that is at least as old as the mid-60's. I've seen some recent poly finishes that seem like they start to just get space under the edges of those dings and start getting bigger. (almost like the finished wasn't adhering to the wood very well) I have more faith in the techniques they used back in the early sixties. Isn't that why vintage cost so much? haha. 

Edited by Deej

2 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

Gotta go with your profile pic....blonde all the way

1 hour ago, the idoit said:

That is a tough call. The red one is really striking and different. However, I think the tweed case pushes the blonde over the top for me.

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Man, that's tough.  Better get both then sell the one you like the least.

59 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Obligatory

487400af6e241c8915c8c255d623c39c.jpg

39 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

Get that red one and pop some high output Fralins or Rio Grandes in it. 

One of them a coming home with daddy! You guys aren’t helping with the color choice! I’m in a glass case of emotion lol

Red can look great with the right tortoise PG, even though I'm not a red guy.

Personally., I'm not a huge fan of reissue stuff. I'd rather have the clean guitar that's actually got some age on it. I couldn't see what year the 52 RI was actually made.

I've seen Mexico Deluxe ash on sale a lot for for $550-ish new, similar scheme. They look and play nice, three bar tele bridge and all.

Edited by DougO

This may be an unpopular opinion, but for the most part I think standard guitar cases are worthless. Buy a quality, pro-style gig bag like the one I'm linking at the bottom a d be done with it.

Cases just pile up empty and end up filling all you closets and under bed spaces. Plus your guitar just rattles around in there, and they take up alot of space when your trying to play a small stage / corner in a bar.

A quality gig bag is stiff, heavily padded, and hugs the guitar like a glove. Has lots of pockets for cables, music notes, a few pedals, etc. Has a shoulder strap in addition to the typical handle, even a rain cover. Plus they are alot easier to find space for.

I have one I paid like $150 for a few years. I throw whichever guitar I want to play into it tonight and take off. Everything else is already in it. When its home it holds my Les Paul in case there's an earthquake. Unfortunately my Explorer and V won't fit inside so I have to hassle with the cases if I carry them out; the Explorer case weighs a metric shit-ton.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GPGELECTRIC--gator-g-pg-electric-progo-ultimate-gig-bag-for-electric-guitar

• Like 1

If I buy a guitar, I want the OHSC for the shipping alone. After it gets here safe and sound, the case can go in the garage for all I care.

Some cases are special in their own right though. Fender tweed cases are just cool. (Wait till relic tweed cases become a thing. You olds are going to flip your wigs!) And the premium Gibson cases are the business. It's weird - they dont add significant value to the sale, but buying them after costs a ton the rare times they hit the market (ergo selling the case can help subsidize the guitar if you have no soul and breaking up families is a hobby of yours.) The premium Gibson aluminum cases with the wheels? Forgetaboutit.

• Like 1

Brand new Candy Tangerine MIJ strat: $899 + free shipping.

omxjvztbocmjnyxpurv4.jpg

I also love this ultra-bright "Polar White" finish, which I've only seen on the MIJ strats. So white you almost have to squint. $674.99 brand new. Upgrade the pickups and this fucker would be ready to rock. I like the solid maple neck over the Pau Ferro fretboard but both are gnarly gnars.

f3xzx7znshfy2miwtbop.jpg

qqoc009vamcyg4mvylta.jpg

lbr4rlzay1olmfoepw5x.png

• Like 2

New used pawn shop guitar day!

Couldn't pass up the deal, $60 out the door for an Epi Les Paul Standard. Maybe a future design project thing to mess with, or I'll just bang on  it for a while.

epilespaul2.jpg

epilespaul.jpg

Corrosion on the bridge from somebody's sweattyass hand, but that's OK.

epilespaul3.jpg

Fretboard is pretty cruddy, but I think it should clean up OK.

epilespaulfret.jpg

Somebody scratched a name on the back of the headstock, but it's mostly out of sight, so no biggie.

It has an 11 digit serial with no letter, and I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it is. But it's set neck and all seems original as far as I can tell. Electronics work fine. Strings are shot, gotta clean it all up and string it to find out what it really sounds like.

• Like 6

I think it's a 2016 Chinese standard that somebody played the shit out of.  Just like this one, selling new for $499,

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top-Electric-Guitar.gc

Pawn guy said it had been there for about four months, had it listed for $100. I think he confused it for one of the Epi bolt-on specials you see all the time. I'm surprised nobody nabbed it in that time.

54 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I've long dreamt of a Les Paul with a Bigsby.

As beautiful a a pedal steel is, both visually and audibly, they I intimidate the hell out of me.

I really want to give that pedal steel a shot, though.