The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Super happy with the job Tyler did on my G&L Tele and my Yamaha acoustic-electric.  He fixed the output problems on both, cleaned both, scraped the funk off the Yamaha neck, and set both up with new strings (which I supplied).  24 hours.  $170 total.

He's setting up my Taylor 310 (ish, can't remember) now.  Should be ready tomorrow, ~ $45.  Again, I supplied the strings.

Minor rant:  Austin metro area is ~ 2M people.  "The Live Music Capital Of The World".  Do you know how hard it is to find Pearse Light Phosphor Bronze acoustic strings in town?  It's basically impossible.  Strait Music in Cedar Park has two sets left, Guitar Center didn't even know about the brand.  What the fuck?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Minor rant:  Austin metro area is ~ 2M people.  "The Live Music Capital Of The World".  Do you know how hard it is to find Pearse Light Phosphor Bronze acoustic strings in town?  It's basically impossible.  Strait Music in Cedar Park has two sets left, Guitar Center didn't even know about the brand.  What the fuck?

That wouldn’t happen in a small town!

*ducks and runs*

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

21 hours ago, Deej said:

I just looked at my guitars and opened a pack. Only two are unwound. 

I just looked closer at the strings that are packaged. Not a wound G. Damn my eyes are getting old. Don't know what I put on the LP then, as that one is wound. 

Edited by Deej

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Super happy with the job Tyler did on my G&L Tele and my Yamaha acoustic-electric.  He fixed the output problems on both, cleaned both, scraped the funk off the Yamaha neck, and set both up with new strings (which I supplied).  24 hours.  $170 total.

He's setting up my Taylor 310 (ish, can't remember) now.  Should be ready tomorrow, ~ $45.  Again, I supplied the strings.

Honestly a thing that has kinda thrown me off about Raleigh/Durham is how fucking small this place is. Growing up near Houston I always thought of Austin as small, or at least it is the “small” city of the main Texas cities. And there’s a part of me that still thinks of it in that way. And here in NC, the biggest city is the size of Fort Worth, and Raleigh is smaller than that. When I wanted to play a gold top earlier this year, there was not one to be found. My options are really 2 Guitar Centers, a Sam Ash, and a handful of small shops.

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

The nice thing about Guitar Center is all the new guitars come relic'd.

Man when I worked there I used to watch other guitar guys pull down like a Martin D41 and knock it against 2 guitars . Like bruh wtf are you doing??? Getting this down for this 14 year old 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Honestly a thing that has kinda thrown me off about Raleigh/Durham is how fucking small this place is. Growing up near Houston I always thought of Austin as small, or at least it is the “small” city of the main Texas cities. And there’s a part of me that still thinks of it in that way. And here in NC, the biggest city is the size of Fort Worth, and Raleigh is smaller than that. When I wanted to play a gold top earlier this year, there was not one to be found. My options are really 2 Guitar Centers, a Sam Ash, and a handful of small shops.

Yeah, North Carolina really doesn't have any big cities.

I grew near Wichita Falls and am back in the area dealing with elderly parents so I went to the only guitar shop still open in WF.  They used to carry a lot of great guitars.  Now, all bottom of the line PRS and Squires for electrics and Seagulls and lower Taylors.  They had one Princeton Tone Master for $1,100.  It appears they mostly cater to high school orchestras and bands.  

In the late 70/early 80s, there was another shop called McCarty's.  It was fantastic.  In fact, Bill Welker who owns South Austin Music used to work there before he moved to Austin and bought that shop.  It closed a long time ago.  

I drove to Ft. Worth, looking to play a J45 and some various electrics.  I refuse to step foot into a GC, so the best store I found was a Music Go Round.  I went to Zoo Music...holy fuck...what a warehouse of shit.   Not a price on anything.  No amps were plugged in. NOTHING has a price on it.  You had to go talk to the surly fucker to drag any information out of him.  I know these places have taken a beating from the on-line stuff and GC.  Makes me sad that the small shops don't exist any longer.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, hullabelew said:

I grew near Wichita Falls and am back in the area dealing with elderly parents so I went to the only guitar shop still open in WF.  They used to carry a lot of great guitars.  Now, all bottom of the line PRS and Squires for electrics and Seagulls and lower Taylors.  They had one Princeton Tone Master for $1,100.  It appears they mostly cater to high school orchestras and bands.  

In the late 70/early 80s, there was another shop called McCarty's.  It was fantastic.  In fact, Bill Welker who owns South Austin Music used to work there before he moved to Austin and bought that shop.  It closed a long time ago.  

I drove to Ft. Worth, looking to play a J45 and some various electrics.  I refuse to step foot into a GC, so the best store I found was a Music Go Round.  I went to Zoo Music...holy fuck...what a warehouse of shit.   Not a price on anything.  No amps were plugged in. NOTHING has a price on it.  You had to go talk to the surly fucker to drag any information out of him.  I know these places have taken a beating from the on-line stuff and GC.  Makes me sad that the small shops don't exist any longer.  

Paging @noharleyyet

46 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Paging @noharleyyet

My bride bought me a Martin and a Strat in the late 80's for Anniversary presents from McCarty's on Kemp St.  Family managed IIRC, nice people... spent a good bit of time there drooling. 

48 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Do you mean Sam Gibbs? 

Hayley's Music on North Kemp has a pretty good inventory & the manager is savvy...good luthier also. His personal guitar and amp collection is damned impressive. 

Edited by noharleyyet

8 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

My bride bought me a Martin and a Strat in the late 80's for Anniversary presents from McCarty's on Kemp St.  Family managed IIRC, nice people... spent a good bit of time there drooling. 

Do you mean Sam Gibbs? 

Hayley's Music on North Kemp has a pretty good inventory & the manager is savvy...good luthier also. His personal guitar and amp collection is damned impressive. 

Yep.  Sam Gibbs.  I bought my first 'real' guitar and a Super Reverb there in 1978.  

I'll have to go check out Hayley's.  I just saw that on the www but the pictures were old.  Thanks for the input.  At least P2 is still open.  

• Like 1

100% this

Agreed, and is true for every mom & pop, brick & mortar small retail business killed by big business leveraging the economics of scale (Walmart, Amazon, etc...)

Things like Craigslist, FB Marketplace, Ebay and Reverb have played a role, too.  Some fraction of those small store's business was buying used equipment for 50 cents on the dollar and reselling it.  I wouldn't imagine many/any people are doing that any more with so many other options to get much closer to 100% of used value.

On 7/27/2023 at 10:52 AM, Celery Man said:

I generally don't like "guitar dudes". Like, I've never been to a G3 show and have no interest in going to one, I appreciate strong instrumentalists but I don't appreciate instrumental acrobats, or at least I don't appreciate viewing feats of instrumental acrobatics outside of the context of songs where it adds to it. Something like Eruption gets a pass because fucking Van Halen rocks outside of just shredding and even then I'm not going to play it all the time.

For a long time I have perceived Billy Strings as a "guitar dude" of that type. But, I think I'm at least partially wrong and have started to nibble at his music. His name is part of what gave me that perception.

Just watched his Rig Rundown.  He has an old 1945 Martin that belonged to Jody Payne.  He showed it to Mickey at Willie's 90th and Mickey pulled out a container from his harmonica case and sprinkled some of Jody's ashes in the guitar.  

https://www.jambase.com/article/billy-strings-guitar-rig-rundown-video-2023

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Just watched his Rig Rundown.  He has an old 1945 Martin that belonged to Jody Payne.  He showed it to Mickey at Willie's 90th and Mickey pulled out a container from his harmonica case and sprinkled some of Jody's ashes in the guitar.  

https://www.jambase.com/article/billy-strings-guitar-rig-rundown-video-2023

Disgusted Jim Carrey GIF

18 hours ago, hullabelew said:

These days most of my shopping is done through the gear page forum, local Craigslist, or through guitar Facebook groups.  It’s a lot of “buy and try and sell what you don’t like,” but I’ve been able to get some really nice stuff at good prices over the years.

Edited by Horn Dogg
  • Like 1

Furk.  The bridge on my Guild Jumbo is coming unglued.  It's not a high end guitar but it's my favorite, even over my Taylor.  Dialed in it sounds amazing.

Who is a true luthier in Austin?  Is Mark Erlewine still working?  I know it's probably ridiculous to spend several hundred dollars on a what might charitably be a $1K Chinese made J200 knockoff, but it sounds amazing and I don't want to just give it up.

The tech I've been taking things to this week said "hell no I'm not gonna try to fix that, you need a luthier".

Furk.  The bridge on my Guild Jumbo is coming unglued.  It's not a high end guitar but it's my favorite, even over my Taylor.  Dialed in it sounds amazing.
Who is a true luthier in Austin?  Is Mark Erlewine still working?  I know it's probably ridiculous to spend several hundred dollars on a what might charitably be a $1K Chinese made J200 knockoff, but it sounds amazing and I don't want to just give it up.
The tech I've been taking things to this week said "hell no I'm not gonna try to fix that, you need a luthier".

Whatever that guitar cost you is sunk cost. The only real analysis is is it worth a couple hundred bucks to have a great acoustic you love. Sounds like not a bad deal to me.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

Whatever that guitar cost you is sunk cost. The only real analysis is is it worth a couple hundred bucks to have a great acoustic you love. Sounds like not a bad deal to me.

Right - there’s no such thing as spending too much if it’s the right instrument for you!

Oh, I completely agree.  I'm not about to sell it for a few hundred, add the repair cost, and buy some $600 "replacement" that will probably suck ass.

This is my lifer, she stuck with me through (create your own metaphor about some chick who wasn't gorgeous but who was amazing).  I just need to find the right person for the repair.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Send Erlewine an email.  He'll get back to you in a few days.

As of last year he gave me an estimate on one of mine.

• Hook 'Em 2

A day late to the strings conversation. The best set I’ve used were the Gibson Brites. They felt and played better than anything I used. They were a splurge at $15/set. Now they’re going for $24/set.

I don’t play well, or enough to justify anything better than the basic D’Addarios. 

3 hours ago, topochico said:

PSA: Fender is blowing out their current Vintera line to make room for the Vintera II series. 

https://www.fender.com/en-US/electric-series/vintera/

Grab them now. The price increase will be in effect on the VIntera II's.

And grab you a month's subscription to Fender Play for an extra 10% off. Then cancel it after your purchase. 

Edited by Deej

Well, I don't know if that was a flash sale over the weekend, but the price is back up. Price on a Mustang bass was MSRP $1150, 20% off sale $920 and then this weekend price dropped to $735. At that price, I picked one up. Hopefully Fender doesn't send me an email and claim a computer glitch of an accidental 20% off the prior 20%. NBD if the sale goes through....

• Hook 'Em 1

Let me know what you think. I've been a fan of the VR's for years. 

I never thought the g was wound until it was asked. Then I second guessed myself. It had been a while since I'd strung them up on an LP. It's what happens when you have too many guitars and lean towards Fenders. I use Suoer Slinkys on all of them. 

Edited by Deej

Yeah I feel like I need to slap these on my other Les Paul and Dona side by side with the gold top just to verify that’s what it has on it now.

went ahead and got a variety pack of picks just for shits and gigs, even though I have near a lifetime supply of the one true pick, the tortex wedge

IMG_3399.thumb.jpeg.7b0aec5d14fcc2e50eaeb830ac27e022.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/29/2023 at 1:01 AM, Horn Dogg said:

Recently I went and heard Christone Kingfish Ingram play live.  I decided to get one of his signature Tele Customs.  It’s basically what you get when you hire a Les Paul player to endorse Fender.  Bad ass guitar for the money, but I still did not sound anywhere near as good as Kingfish unfortunately.

C3041874-0D6F-4071-93EF-4D3920FDE9FD.thumb.jpeg.b6a5821ec77e1d55869959fd8e88e17a.jpeg658CD2BE-78D5-46B2-A5ED-4BF96EB0B6D9.thumb.jpeg.fbb1516e19ef9363a83759e3bae9ee9f.jpegE2A15B5A-67FC-4B98-BA85-A8EAE6B56055.thumb.jpeg.bbd7178ec8bdbb3677c0dc7ff0895e71.jpeg

how are you liking this guitar? it's interesting... looks like it is essentially a 72 Deluxe with a tuneomatic bridge

r1o6oqu3l3zchswhfota.jpg

(from the googles)

bet that thing looks like a fiddle on kingfish

7 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Yeah I feel like I need to slap these on my other Les Paul and Dona side by side with the gold top just to verify that’s what it has on it now.

went ahead and got a variety pack of picks just for shits and gigs, even though I have near a lifetime supply of the one true pick, the tortex wedge

IMG_3399.thumb.jpeg.7b0aec5d14fcc2e50eaeb830ac27e022.jpeg

Oh man, some old gator grips.

• Like 1

Sweetwater is sending me at least two packages of candy.  I also had them throw in a Katana 50 watt demo model.  And what good is an amp without a guitar.   If I'm going to be stuck in Young Co. Texas for an unknown period of time, might as well have a new toy to spend some time with.    The new Katana has a foot switch to switch between the channels so that should be fun.  I actually just bought it to use as a practice amp for my pedal steel when I get home, but then I pondered the idea of having an amp with no guitar out here.  That was just silly.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Celery Man said:

how are you liking this guitar? it's interesting... looks like it is essentially a 72 Deluxe with a tuneomatic bridge

r1o6oqu3l3zchswhfota.jpg

(from the googles)

bet that thing looks like a fiddle on kingfish

You nailed it.  Yeah, it’s a great guitar, the build quality is higher than your average American Fender and it sounds good. 

Kingfish needs to lose some weight.  He also smokes cigarettes.  He’s a generational talent and we want him to last!

I generally don't like "guitar dudes". Like, I've never been to a G3 show and have no interest in going to one, I appreciate strong instrumentalists but I don't appreciate instrumental acrobats, or at least I don't appreciate viewing feats of instrumental acrobatics outside of the context of songs where it adds to it. Something like Eruption gets a pass because fucking Van Halen rocks outside of just shredding and even then I'm not going to play it all the time.
For a long time I have perceived Billy Strings as a "guitar dude" of that type. But, I think I'm at least partially wrong and have started to nibble at his music. His name is part of what gave me that perception.

Honest question - would you consider this a “guitar dude” song?

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Honest question - would you consider this a “guitar dude” song?

no, and particularly this song... I was watching a bit of maybe is... lollapalooza performance(?) (and I was watching because I've already had the thought of 'i have this guy incorrectly classified as a guitar dude') and this song started and I thought "oh, that's billy strings?"

15 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I just realized my Katana was on standby for weeks. I guess I’m glad it’s not a tube amp.

would that actually cause a problem? I mean I wouldn't want to do it but would that wear out your tubes in some way?

21 hours ago, hullabelew said:

ISG220200287-angle-xlarge.jpg.auto.webp

ISG220200287-front-xlarge.jpg.auto.webp

i've been tempted by this previously, await your review

• Hook 'Em 2