The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I've learned this today that a friend I used to play music with in San Diego in the ICU and on a ventilator with the Corona.

This is from 2011, he's on the Telecaster, my Gretsch Billy Bo was brand new back then.

79937f94e3d120af08de4c624e558249.jpgb3494cce0a5a36f3b8fac42831cd4982.jpg
I just saw that my friend was taken off the ventilator today. They'de been trying to bring him out of a coma to remove it for a few days. I learned he was in with this on April 6, today's the 21st. That's a motherfucker, but I'm glad he made it.

Just updating for the well wishers. Thank you.
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I realize those forums are where I need to be . . . but how the hell would I strip a clean stripe and then lay down a perfect replacement color on the fresh wood?

My laziness is going to get in the way of me doing this "right".  I may just go for it.  It's a total garbage body from Guitar Fetish or some such.  I do kinda like the way the thing feeds back, though.  It's really light.

You strip the whole thing and start it fresh. 

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

There is no fucking way I'm doing that.

12-pack of beer, some hand tools, a little painter's tape . . . here I come.

It'd be easier stripping the whole thing. Heat gun and a scraper if it's poly. It will come right off.

OK, riddle me this:  I have ZERO (none, zed, nada) patience for handwork.  I can dick around with microphones and preamps and mix settings until the cows come home, but if it has anything to do with visual excellence, nope.  Not doing it.

How much would it cost me to have somebody good strip and repaint the body?  At some point it would probably make sense to buy a good blank canvas instead of messing with this piece of crap.

Why buy a piece of crap, when you have a piece of crap to work with? What is done can be undone. I once built a 16x20 foot colonial-style shed with zero carpentry experience. 17 years later, that bitch is still standing like a boss. 

It was more work than I ever could have imagined, but damn, that thing was mine. When the house sold, the new owners said it was what pushed them to buy it. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Why buy a piece of crap, when you have a piece of crap to work with? What is done can be undone. I once built a 16x20 foot colonial-style shed with zero carpentry experience. 17 years later, that bitch is still standing like a boss. 

It was more work than I ever could have imagined, but damn, that thing was mine. When the house sold, the new owners said it was what pushed them to buy it. 

You aren't getting it -- I have no desire to do the work myself if it's anything more than 30 minutes worth of bored time.  I have other things to do.  I don't enjoy handwork.  I'm not you.

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You aren't getting it -- I have no desire to do the work myself if it's anything more than 30 minutes worth of bored time.  I have other things to do.  I don't enjoy handwork.  I'm not you.

I really don't, either, but that satisfaction, though.

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Looks like "Daphne Blue" might be close.  Do I have to strip the old paint?  Just prime over existing paint?  Go buy a new body from Warmoth?  (Don't answer that last question.  This particular body is a cheapie and I'm willing to experiment.)

Sand the top coat enough for the new primer to stick, get all the shine off. It's been a while, but I think around 400 grit should be good.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, riddle me this:  I have ZERO (none, zed, nada) patience for handwork.  I can dick around with microphones and preamps and mix settings until the cows come home, but if it has anything to do with visual excellence, nope.  Not doing it.

How much would it cost me to have somebody good strip and repaint the body?  At some point it would probably make sense to buy a good blank canvas instead of messing with this piece of crap.

Sanding and painting isn't that hard. The real bitch is getting a decent clear coat. The simplest is just clear lacquer, same type as the paint you use. When you get into clear coats that stuff is just a major pain and takes some experience to get it right, plus ideal conditions, and it takes forever to cure hard.

If you sand the entire paint job down to the wood, that's a mofo, too.  I don't recommend it for a decent DIY job on a guitar you aren't too worried about.

18 minutes ago, DougO said:

There are probably a ton of body shop guys in the Austin area that would do a paint job fairly cheap. Probably lots looking for some work right now.

Yeah, I got a whole car "sanded" and painted at Maaco for like $250 (maybe 25 years ago).  I have to believe a guitar body wouldn't cost any more, and with hopefully better quality.

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Looks like "Daphne Blue" might be close.  Do I have to strip the old paint?  Just prime over existing paint?  Go buy a new body from Warmoth?  (Don't answer that last question.  This particular body is a cheapie and I'm willing to experiment.)

If it's a squire or something, good luck stripping that paint.  I've got a partscaster with a classic vibe strat body.  Previous owner tried to strip the finish.  That stuff is thick and hard as a rock.  Fortunately, they started on the back.  

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

This is brutal (not my NGD sadly):

f52184df08218b9fbe860b69ad1ca3a3.jpg

That sticker has never stopped me from opening the box. The same way I never wait for the pizza to cool after taking it out of the oven. I may get burned, but fuck it. 

• Like 1

True story, I played on a friends record that was recorded at a steel player's studio.  He'd toured with a bunch of famous folks here (Leeann Rimes and some others)  and he got to showing off guitars.  He was showing us a custom lap steel that was all foggy.  He said some roadie had opened it in the cold, after it had been riding in the bottom of a (warmer) tour bus for hours.  It was fucked from then on, finish wise.  No fixing it.  So I always let me cases sit a bit if I'm playing in the winter.  

Edited by Chad Fuck

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

I've been feeling like I'm making progress and today isn't going great.  My timing sucks and a basic repeating pattern seems like rocket science.  But my chords are ringing and my changes are getting better.

It's like any physical endeavor, you'll go through long plateaus and then all of a sudden you'll be better.  Rinse, repeat.  Did you play sports?  When I was in high school, I would lift weights for weeks without my best getting any better, and then wham!  I'm pushing up 20% more weight.  Same thing.

Patience and vodka.

That too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

True story, I played on a friends record that was recorded at a steel player's studio.  He'd toured with a bunch of famous folks here (Leeann Rimes and some others)  and he got to showing off guitars.  He was showing us a custom lap steel that was all foggy.  He said some roadie had opened it in the cold, after it had been riding in the bottom of a (warmer) tour bus for hours.  It was fucked from then on, finish wise.  No fixing it.  So I always let me cases sit a bit if I'm playing in the winter.  

Thank you for this. I always feel like a wuss, but I wait too. 

A “thing” arrives tomorrow huh? I hope there are pics.

Also - what was the bass site you were taking lessons on? I may want to check that out.

I’ve had it a few days now. I love it. It sounds like thunder. CS 60’s PUPS are relatively hot, but not over the top. Still very classic passive punchy tone. I was worried about the slab body, but it is comfortable and relatively light.
2a1fa2ca715e29522b0a0cff59666e84.jpg
  • Like 5