The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

16 hours ago, Deej said:

Keef is the coolest dude on that stage. Followed by Chuck. I think Clapton may be a Dick based on some shit I’ve read not sure but he doesn’t seem to be very excited at all. Also all the tones! 

Edited by Bogeywon
Hail to the Tones

I had a pair of ray hennig heart of Texas store cables that were great for like 5 years of gigging  and occasional touring. Then we played a couple of does shows where my equipment was put away by the other guy who didn’t have a system and didn’t put a little half turn in the cables (or even really wrap them) and that was it.

9 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

On a related note, anyone remember Whirlwind cables back in the day? Now THOSE were the shit.

I had an unbranded guitar cable just like that one.  It was bulletproof and lasted decades.  I recently lost it.  I got it used when I bought some random Yamaha double cutaway from a guy in south Austin circa 1986.  He threw in a cable.  I figured it would break within a year.  Nope, just kept on going and going and going.  Never a crackle, nada. 

Can't believe she's gone.

She's gone, oh why, oh why, I'd better learn how to face it

She's gone, oh why, oh why, I'd pay the devil to replace her

She's gone, what went wrong?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

When he bought the Peter Green Les Paul.

Just now went and read the story behind that. That's a cool ass story, never knew it. 

Hell, this weekend was probably the first time I've watched a Metallica show since '05 or so. 

19 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

That’s what I took away about working with Chuck Berry in general from that movie. Keef gives a similar description in “Life.”

Had some guys I know back him once.  The description of working with him sounded tedious at best.

On a somewhat related note, several years ago, I got to do a little version of Run Run Rudolph with some other parents from my kids school.  After the other guitar player lit up the intro lick, I did my best effort of that down and up diminishing reverse bend that Chuck berates Keith with ad nauseum in HHR&R.  I was afraid Chuck, who was still alive at that point, would show up and start yelling at me if I didn't.

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Was that Conrad?

No, just some other guy I recorded who had a lot of old school Texas ties, many through Lubbock.  I don't think I've ever met Conrad, assuming you're talking about Conrad Chocroun (sp?).  I did record super early Damnations stuff, but they weren't really a band yet, and he wasn't around.

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, just some other guy I recorded who had a lot of old school Texas ties, many through Lubbock.  I don't think I've ever met Conrad, assuming you're talking about Conrad Chocroun (sp?).  I did record super early Damnations stuff, but they weren't really a band yet, and he wasn't around.

Yeah, he and a combination of BBS and Allen Oldies guys backed chuck at Mardis Gras in Galveston in the mid 90s.  I think they (or some of them) were supposed to back him again at an Austin show at some point, but he showed up with some of his own musicians. 

Conrad is good people.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

Keith once told a story about showing up and Chuck's house, early in the discussions about doing the movie. He said Chuck had a tape playing on the TV of white girls in their underwear throwing pies at each other.

Chuck Berry, man. 

scooby-doo-thats-my-fetish.gif

Let he who hasn't gawked at white girls in their underwear throw the first pie.

• Haha 5

I search and search and yet i keep coming back to this one

https://www.mundtmusic.com/p-23588-epiphone-1959-les-paul-standard-outfit-electric-guitar-aged-dark-burst.aspx

Just wish it was a LITTLE bit cheaper. I understand, also paying for the hardcase for it. Maybe after Christmas i'll go up there and see how sturdy they are on the price. 

13 minutes ago, BERT said:

https://www.mundtmusic.com/p-23588-epiphone-1959-les-paul-standard-outfit-electric-guitar-aged-dark-burst.aspx

Just wish it was a LITTLE bit cheaper. I understand, also paying for the hardcase for it. Maybe after Christmas i'll go up there and see how sturdy they are on the price. 

Bring cash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BERT said:

Best LP Epiphone makes. I have a Gibby and I want one. They take the shine down on the usual Epiohone finish, too. They are really nice.

Edited by Deej

3 hours ago, BERT said:

Not sure where you're located, but I'm local to them and have some time to kill this week if you want me to go up there and see if it has any special qualities you can't feel/see on the internet.  They've always struck me as a more traditional music store, which in days past meant that you could get them to come off the price.  I haven't bought anything new from them other than strings or had a guitar set up, pickup swap, etc.  So I don't know for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

Glad I got my Standard before they jacked the price up to $2700.

Glad I got my AV teles before Fender decided to nix nitro/nitro coatings outside of custom shop items.  Wildwood reps saying no more thin skin teles after this year.  I've got a 52 and a 64.  52 is a WWTS.  64 was open box from Guitar Center, complete with dings.  Skin seems thinner on the 64.  But the 52 is darkening nicely with more light exposure over the years.  It was almost a canary yellow butterscotch blonde, not the nacho cheese color of some of the early 2000s ones.

Edited by dcbc

6 hours ago, dcbc said:

Had some guys I know back him once.  The description of working with him sounded tedious at best.

On a somewhat related note, several years ago, I got to do a little version of Run Run Rudolph with some other parents from my kids school.  After the other guitar player lit up the intro lick, I did my best effort of that down and up diminishing reverse bend that Chuck berates Keith with ad nauseum in HHR&R.  I was afraid Chuck, who was still alive at that point, would show up and start yelling at me if I didn't.

Agree,  See if you can find a used 2014 LP Traditional; it's a is a special year for the Traditional.  Those 59 Tribute pickups are amazing, and that's possibly the only year they put them in anything affordable.  The Traditionals weigh out heavy, but mine, at over 10 lbs, doesn't rest heavy on my shoulder.  I can play all night with that thing somehow.

http://aws2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/The-Magic-of-59-and-the-59-Tribute-Humbucker.aspx

Edited by dcbc

Glad I got my AV teles before Fender decided to nix nitro/nitro coatings outside of custom shop items.  Wildwood reps saying no more thin skin teles after this year.  I've got a 52 and a 64.  52 is a WWTS.  64 was open box from Guitar Center, complete with dings.  Skin seems thinner on the 64.  But the 52 is darkening nicely with more light exposure over the years.  It was almost a canary yellow butterscotch blonde, not the nacho cheese color of some of the early 2000s ones.

Why’d they nix the nitro?

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Not sure where you're located, but I'm local to them and have some time to kill this week if you want me to go up there and see if it has any special qualities you can't feel/see on the internet.  They've always struck me as a more traditional music store, which in days past meant that you could get them to come off the price.  I haven't bought anything new from them other than strings or had a guitar set up, pickup swap, etc.  So I don't know for sure. 

I appreciate the offer but I’m maybe 2 miles from them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://reverb.com/item/48152938-gibson-les-paul-classic-honeyburst-modified
Those pickups may be more metal than you are looking for, but there are a ton of other really cool factory modded LP's on Gibson's reverb page. 

552B857F-CCE9-4CBD-BAE2-CEF755AF6AAC_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ee3e1c468693eba9395a788d46cd9680.jpeg
333CEECE-9EFF-49C2-806A-959327FA283A_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e9bd733cbf94604617e7919bda79cf52.jpeg

Yeah they have tons of cool stuff with just enough new knocked off of them to make them a decent value. They’re a good follow on there.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, topochico said:

My Fenderbird plan has not gone well. I am planning to reach out to the builder today to see if I can cancel and get a refund. If that happens, I am eyeing that burgundy NR Thunderbird so I have been on their page a bunch lately. 

D913A59E-AB03-4E2A-889A-EDA0DF17410B.jpeg

Is it just the color?  Or something else?  

It’s mostly the color. I was specific that I wanted Daphne blue and not Sonic from the first email. I even sent multiple color examples to them.  I also did not want the artificial cold checking nitro that most of their builds use. They missed on both fronts. I caught the cold checking issue when they sent me a final build sheet before final assembly. It went back to the paint booth. They sent me pics of the repaint and it looked Sonic blue. We talked about it and they went ahead and sent it for approval agreeing to repaint if I didn’t like it.  it is great, but it’s the wrong color. We are now 10 months in and they are willing to make it right, but say it is easier to build me a new one instead of refinishing the current again. I am kinda done at this point. I plan to call them today to see what my options are. First world problems, but the point of a custom build is to get exactly what you want. 

• Like 2

Thinking about the extension cab for the Black Magick. I have one for my 1600 Supreme that is the same speaker, just a bit smaller size cab, so the amp won't sit on top as a stack. Thinking maybe I should do the 2x12 cab. Any thoughts? Too much? $200 more.

52 minutes ago, Deej said:

Thinking about the extension cab for the Black Magick. I have one for my 1600 Supreme that is the same speaker, just a bit smaller size cab, so the amp won't sit on top as a stack. Thinking maybe I should do the 2x12 cab. Any thoughts? Too much? $200 more.

I just bought a orange a few months ago and fucking love it