The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

PSA - when some knucklehead is standing up in your bar or party attempting to crank out songs on his guitar, please wait until between songs to try to shake hands, fist bump, and/or start a conversations. Mid song is challenging to accomplish any of these acts - because, you know, he doesn’t have any free body parts at the moment to use to interact with you.

It’s all good but it really makes you wonder sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thoughts on this?  It’s not all original, but priced about $1500-$2000 under what an all original late 60s Gibson ES-330 would cost.

https://reverb.com/item/47769285-vintage-1966-1967-gibson-es-330tdc-killer-player-original-finish-no-breaks-es-330-es330tdc?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=47769285

F2CC544D-CFFB-4C49-B4F8-1307FC256DFA.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Thoughts on this?  It’s not all original, but priced about $1500-$2000 under what an all original late 60s Gibson ES-330 would cost.
https://reverb.com/item/47769285-vintage-1966-1967-gibson-es-330tdc-killer-player-original-finish-no-breaks-es-330-es330tdc?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=47769285

F2CC544D-CFFB-4C49-B4F8-1307FC256DFA.thumb.jpeg.4a11d058e49ec57da7ff9530f4c53e89.jpeg

Doesn’t have the original pups or tuners. That’s why it’s priced that way. That said, it’s a stellar player. Fact is, you may even have a better playing guitar than an all original with the tuner pup upgrades.
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Would

32 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Doesn’t have the original pups or tuners. That’s why it’s priced that way. That said, it’s a stellar player. Fact is, you may even have a better playing guitar than an all original with the tuner pup upgrades.

Thanks.  Would the fret wear they show in the pics scare you off?  Worst case scenario, I could get it refretted, I guess, and factor that into a worst-case cost.

11 hours ago, Goredho said:

F2CC544D-CFFB-4C49-B4F8-1307FC256DFA.jpeg

One more time for old time's sake...like a class reunion tryst? Oh, and I like the mod'd ones...

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, noharleyyet said:

One more time for old time's sake...like a class reunion tryst? Oh, and I like the mod'd ones...

Lol, more or less.  I bought the 2018 es-330 for $1800.  Sold for $2200.  Then they shut down the Memphis factory and that became the last ES-330s made (at least to this point and ever from Memphis). Now they are selling for up to $3500.  I don’t see how I can lose paying a few hundred more for this. So there is  both heart and head involved here.

1 hour ago, topochico said:

Must be nice to have a guitar tech on call at 0700 MST. Way to humblebrag there pal. 

He’s just down the road and a friend first.

Edited by Goredho

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Personally I’d rather have a modded one because they are cheaper. I get the nostalgia, but I’ve modded every guitar I’ve ever owned to suit my tastes/needs.

Exactly this.  I would feel bad knocking the originality off it. But if someone has already done that, then I'm in my wheelhouse. I can feel free to mod (within reason - no saws or drills please) without further damaging the value.  Vintage original is a certain kind of collector, while player vintage is another.  I'm firmly in the second.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DougO said:

This Tele is rather nice.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-player-telecaster-plus-top-maple-fingerboard-limited-edition-electric-guitar

Fender Player Telecaster Plus Top Maple Fingerboard Limited-Edition Electric Guitar Blue Burst

Fender Player Telecaster Plus Top Maple Fingerboard Limited-Edition Electric Guitar Blue Burst

It looks good, but I am saving up for a Surlycaster......

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

P-bass style with Lollar Thunderbird pickups. 

I wanted a T-bird, but just hated the ergonomics. Of course, right after I ordered this in April, Gibson released the non-reverse T-bird with a thicker neck, better ergonomics and a nicer set of pickups......

I have decided that I am never going to custom order again. This has been a long wait and a pain in the ass at times. It has already had to be repainted once because they put the wrong nitro lacquer on it. It may go back again after I receive it. This was supposed to be Daphne Blue, but it looks like Sonic blue in the pics. Shop has been good with being willing to make things right and are willing to repaint to a true Daphne if it is lighter than I was looking for. They are nice guys and build great guitars and basses, but have dropped the ball a couple of times with the finish unfortunately. I hope the camera just washed out the images, we will see tomorrow.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, topochico said:

P-bass style with Lollar Thunderbird pickups. 

I wanted a T-bird, but just hated the ergonomics. Of course, right after I ordered this in April, Gibson released the non-reverse T-bird with a thicker neck, better ergonomics and a nicer set of pickups......

I have decided that I am never going to custom order again. This has been a long wait and a pain in the ass at times. It has already had to be repainted once because they put the wrong nitro lacquer on it. It may go back again after I receive it. This was supposed to be Daphne Blue, but it looks like Sonic blue in the pics. Shop has been good with being willing to make things right and are willing to repaint to a true Daphne if it is lighter than I was looking for. They are nice guys and build great guitars and basses, but have dropped the ball a couple of times with the finish unfortunately. I hope the camera just washed out the images, we will see tomorrow.  

1) still looks great, hopefully it's the right color in the true light of day

2) guitar mill? I get not wanting to complain publicly, I have been thinking for a while about resurrecting my p bass with a new body and part of what I had been thinking was those guys + nitro + tahitian coral. If they aren't really able to get the color down that might make me rethink a bit

On 12/12/2021 at 6:54 PM, Superhero said:

It’s sold. But wasn’t me.

True story. Some asshole hacked my credit card today and I had to get it cancelled. Hopefully the replacement card will show up before we head to Vancouver.

Who the fuck in North Carolina orders 2 inflatable canoes at this time of year? I blame this on global warming. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

1) still looks great, hopefully it's the right color in the true light of day

2) guitar mill? I get not wanting to complain publicly, I have been thinking for a while about resurrecting my p bass with a new body and part of what I had been thinking was those guys + nitro + tahitian coral. If they aren't really able to get the color down that might make me rethink a bit

Not guitar mill. It's similar company that builds Fender and Gibsonish style guitars and basses. They will sell bodies but most of their business is complete guitars. They also do refinishes, repairs etc if desired. 

They actually make everything in house (bodes, necks, many of their pickups are wound in house unless otherwise specified like my Lollars) Without having the bass in hand, I hate to name them publicly. Things may be great when I get it. They have a really good reputation. They also have been totally willing to repaint it and have said multiple times that they will do whatever to have me be 100% satisfied. So, while frustrating, I know they will address it if necessary. Feel free to PM me for more details. Once I get things sorted out, I will be more forthcoming. I just hate to complain publicly about something that may not even be an issue. 

This was the color I was shooting for. 

1BA7F8EF-6E17-4457-9763-1AD3E776B486.jpeg

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2021 at 12:23 PM, Superhero said:

Someone talk me out of getting this.

https://reverb.com/item/47224809-gibson-les-paul-classic-2019-honeyburst?utm_source=braze&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Watcher-Price-Drop-Email&utm_term=Email

I still need to sell the G&L. But I GUESS I can sell it later right?

Gibson Demo Shop has a lot of really nice stuff up on Reverb right now

https://reverb.com/item/47531156-gibson-les-paul-classic-honeyburst-modified

9A3D8EDF-6829-40EC-A7AD-E5FA6A40E222_1_201_a.jpeg

I stumbled on a used Michael Kelly tele in a shop recently.  I've long considered buying one but never talked to anyone who played one.  
This goes for $459.....the used one was $349.  Good enough...very little wear on it...good looking but different enough.  Then I picked it up.

I have never played any guitar with a worse fret job. I'm pretty sure if you played it long enough, you would cut your hand to shreds.  I would probably opt for wearing work gloves.  I've put up miles and miles of barbed wire fence in my youth and that is the only thing I would compare this to.  The neck also had a very bizarre shape to it and no heft at all.  Additionally, even though this one attached between the 17th & 18th fret (my tele is at the 17th) it felt like the neck was about 3" longer

No idea what it sounded like thru an amp.  I put it back on the rack before I had go to urgent care for stiches.  

Where the fuck is our new ES 330?  

mk1953bjwnew.png

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Congrats Goredho...the best thing about that glorious bastage is that you know how to make it sound as good as it looks and specs....

I was going to say the best thing about it is that I don’t have to worry about the Murphy Labs reliced finish flaking off like dandruff.  Thanks for the compliment tho!

And in other news, the other guitar player in our band who has his own online shop (https://reverb.com/shop/zgs-vintage-guitars) is selling this gem.  I know there are a lot of G&L fans here, and a lot of Longhorn fans, so I thought I'd post this.  I've played alongside this one on stage for years, but it's always been babied.  A very nice sparkle orange with cream binding and all the Tele bite you could ask for.  A really sweet guitar, I hate to see him sell it, but that's on him.  Hopefully it finds an appreciative new home:

u36cwnah2vg67st6gocw.jpg

v1o5knzvgybsckpmjj1i.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3