The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

My step father gave me this guitar to fix while I am in town (I will be in Austin for the next month+ before going back to Singapore).

It is a G&L Legacy. Not the greatest, but not too bad. It has some serious fret buzz on the low E. Now I just need to find the right tool to adjust the saddle(s).

e11904fbbc10d74b477b420001d4d453.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 12/6/2021 at 2:05 PM, JSB said:

Man I have a bad case of Gibson fever. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a new acoustic for months now and haven't pulled the trigger. I think I've decided the SJ-200 is too damn expensive, but the J-45 and the Hummingbird sure are pretty awesome. If I decide to go with the J-45, the local shop has a Cherry one that plays really really well. red acoustic though? Then on the flip side, I like the inlay on the fretboard of the hummingbird a lot. 

Ditto what everyone was saying about G&L Tributes. I actually got rid of my blue G&L fat boy tele, but that was a spur of the moment thing (buddy visiting from Virginia was talking about looking around for electrics for his little home studio, I was thinking about making room for another guitar, I really don't pick it up vs the american deluxe tele right next to it). I would absolutely pick that one blind over a Squier, although I want to check out some more Squiers and in particular this one....

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JazzMstIJM--squier-j-mascis-signature-jazzmaster-vintage-white-with-indian-laurel-fingerboard

Edited by Celery Man

Visiting my friend and former drummer in North Carolina this week. He's a certified luthier from some school in Minnesota.

He has the ultimate set of tools.

Most anal, organized, perfectionist I ever met. He built everything made of wood in these photos, cabinets, shelves, bench, etc from lumber, down to drilling out all the peg holes for the adjustable shelves. 20211205_173923.jpg20211205_170846.jpg20211205_173019.jpg20211205_170254.jpg20211205_171631.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Visiting my friend and former drummer in North Carolina this week. He's a certified luthier from some school in Minnesota.

Most anal, organized, perfectionist I ever met. He built everything made of wood in these photos, cabinets, shelves, bench, etc from lumber, down to drilling out all the peg holes for the adjustable shelves. 20211205_173923.jpg20211205_170846.jpg20211205_173019.jpg20211205_170254.jpg20211205_171631.jpg

does he luth for a living and if so whereabouts NC?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Sick, sick, sick...

4 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

"You down with OCD?"

"Yeah, you know me!"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

does he luth for a living and if so whereabouts NC?
He's in Durham, I can't remember where in NC you went.

Its a side deal for him, but I think he'd love for it to turn full. In SF he was pretty busy with it, with some shops sending him regular work, ut he moved to NC during lockdowns and is juat now starting to get a little traction here.

Let me know if you're around here, I'd love to put you in touch. Aside from working on guitars, he's a great guy and great drummer. I think you could both use somebody to jam with. He even mixed our record.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Most anal, organized, perfectionist I ever met. He built everything made of wood in these photos, cabinets, shelves, bench, etc from lumber, down to drilling out all the peg holes for the adjustable shelves. 20211205_173923.thumb.jpg.ad380f618ad74bfd7fa76f4e052e1547.jpg20211205_170846.thumb.jpg.ffbb7848bee5b9b681ba964981fc92ed.jpg20211205_173019.thumb.jpg.6ac6e80f45cab7c75f2aaed9ca9a951d.jpg20211205_170254.thumb.jpg.3a28f6459efcf93de33ce3512017f07f.jpg20211205_171631.thumb.jpg.8e0b4e91ba254b2f0eabf58dc4185057.jpg

Glad I didn’t swing by the bar, you wouldn’t have been there. Sitting at SFO headed home now. Should be back out soon and I’ll remember to bring my Shag Screamer that’s acting up.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

He's in Durham, I can't remember where in NC you went.

Its a side deal for him, but I think he'd love for it to turn full. In SF he was pretty busy with it, with some shops sending him regular work, ut he moved to NC during lockdowns and is juat now starting to get a little traction here.

Let me know if you're around here, I'd love to put you in touch. Aside from working on guitars, he's a great guy and great drummer. I think you could both use somebody to jam with. He even mixed our record.

I’m in Wake Forest, which is one of the smaller town/growing suburbs in the triangle (Raleigh Durham Chapel-Hill) area. So yeah I’ll have to meet this dude, for sure have a bit of work he could do if he’s interested in general guitar work, and yeah at some point I’ll be through baby phase 1 and ready to scratch that jamming itch.

• Like 1

The acrimony over that Tuesday Night Music Club album is unbelievable.  I know the bass player -- he hates her.  He's WAY in the camp of her being the cause of Kevin Gilbert's death.  I obviously have no idea of the truth, I wasn't there, not even close, but it's weird, as if those guys feel they made her.  I think her track record post-TNMC speaks for itself, but what do I know?

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The acrimony over that Tuesday Night Music Club album is unbelievable.  I know the bass player -- he hates her.  He's WAY in the camp of her being the cause of Kevin Gilbert's death.  I obviously have no idea of the truth, I wasn't there, not even close, but it's weird, as if those guys feel they made her.  I think her track record post-TNMC speaks for itself, but what do I know?

Well, I have no idea about that.  I do know that she makes questionable decisions about men.

Just listed my G&L Tribute S-500 for sale on FB and Craigslist. I’ll list it on Reverb but would rather not pay their commission.

I think $550 is an awesome deal especially since the guitar is near mint, and I’m throwing in a hard shell case.

If any of you want to  buy it, PM me and we can work out the details. 

D430BB4E-40E2-4D52-849F-8EF5B58114FA.jpeg

5949D96E-900D-4B8F-B16E-81AB3655FE43.jpeg

CDF00288-6876-4A1E-AD25-3825EEED0C8F.jpeg

87DF2109-9C5F-4082-87FD-0E8A5120B1F2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

On 12/8/2021 at 9:40 PM, jimmyjazz said:

She's an evil cunt succubus who stole from the band that made her. She probably also gave Lance cancer and made him cheat.

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

Someone talk me out of getting this.

https://reverb.com/item/47224809-gibson-les-paul-classic-2019-honeyburst?utm_source=braze&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Watcher-Price-Drop-Email&utm_term=Email

I still need to sell the G&L. But I GUESS I can sell it later right?

Please no offers. This is as low as I can go and need to sell by Sunday. 

World's best salesman.

• Haha 2

On 12/8/2021 at 10:47 PM, tigol said:

Well, I have no idea about that.  I do know that she makes questionable decisions about men.

My brother ran into her in the Highland Park Village when she was dating Owen.

I think that it was Owen, Sheryl, and his parents at an ice cream shop or something.We've casually known that family since the '70s, so it was a "Hey, how are you?" "We're fine. Oh, [Napoleon's brother], this is Sheryl, Sheryl, this is [Napoleon's brother]. He went to the same schools, my parents have known his parents for decades and yada-yada-yada. Nice seeing you. Tell your parents 'Hello'." kind of thing.

No theft or breakups were happening at that point.

She sounds like the female answer to Paul Simon's "Graceland" album... which hits close to home, because I was in Memphis earlier this week.

On 12/7/2021 at 6:35 AM, Fastbreak said:

My step father gave me this guitar to fix while I am in town (I will be in Austin for the next month+ before going back to Singapore).

It is a G&L Legacy. Not the greatest, but not too bad. It has some serious fret buzz on the low E. Now I just need to find the right tool to adjust the saddle(s).

Still, kind of sexy.  That finish is awesome.

On 12/7/2021 at 6:35 AM, Fastbreak said:

If nothing else, a little oil on that fretboard.

On 12/10/2021 at 12:23 PM, Superhero said:

Someone talk me out of getting this.

https://reverb.com/item/47224809-gibson-les-paul-classic-2019-honeyburst?utm_source=braze&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Watcher-Price-Drop-Email&utm_term=Email

I still need to sell the G&L. But I GUESS I can sell it later right?

You need that, dude.  Why is it still available?

1 hour ago, tigol said:

You need that, dude.  Why is it still available?

It’s sold. But wasn’t me.

True story. Some asshole hacked my credit card today and I had to get it cancelled. Hopefully the replacement card will show up before we head to Vancouver.

Who the fuck in North Carolina orders 2 inflatable canoes at this time of year? I blame this on global warming. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1