The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

If this was just one off the shelf someplace you'de shrug it off. This was missed, got past whatever QC they have at that plant, all the way to being featured on their website... a d its still there! If it was just a one off hanging on a rack somewhere you'd just suggest it off.

On the partscasters I've built, and for the replacement tuners I installed on a G-Force'd Gibson, I have a method. I install them with the bushings and nuts finger tight, then use this magnetic straight edge on a level I own to line everything up perfect before drilling anything. Im not mass producing or anything, but if I can come up with a simple idea like that you'd expect Fender to have a jig or something to line them up straight every single time. Its just a small off at the screw point, but transfers to a pretty significant off once you get to the actual bean tuner.

Or maybe its their calculated move to get you to spend the extra dough for a Fender USA.

1 minute ago, Bogeywon said:

I can play anything on my PRS and LPS. Try dropping to D or playing metal on a fucking strat. 

Good luck with that crappy single coil sound on your coil split humbuckers.

Tele will handle metal. 

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

This whole conversation seems like I’m taking crazy pills, coming from a bunch of guys who would gladly take all three. I mean the Tele, Strat and LP are the damned Holy Trinity of rock guitar.

I Love them all. I just think you can do more with a LP or a PRS. Blues rock metal punk all that shit. 

50 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

This whole conversation seems like I’m taking crazy pills, coming from a bunch of guys who would gladly take all three. I mean the Tele, Strat and LP are the damned Holy Trinity of rock guitar.

Yeah I mean this covers the vast majority of the rock tracks everyone knows. I've owned all three almost from the time I started playing, they each have their place. I don't see why anyone would slag off any of them. I mostly was highly amused by the hot take that Strats aren't for metal, which flies in the face of like all empirical data, and the LP is more versatile than a Fender. The Strat has by far the most dynamic character of the bunch, and the Les Paul the least. Which isn't a knock. In my career I've probably played a LP 90% of the time, if not more like 95%, in studio and on stage. It fits my music better than the Strat. It pretty much does that one thing, and does it perfectly.

At the end of the day, there's essentially two solid body electrics, the LP glue necks, and the Fender slab body bolt necks. Everything else is just a derivative. Jackson, Kramer et al are just hot rodded Strats, ESP makes LP clones, etc... There's oddballs like Ricks, but they are not really a significant market share.

2 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

I Love them all. I just think you can do more with a LP or a PRS. Blues rock metal punk all that shit. 

Most good, experienced guitarists would say that the Tele is probably the most versatile electric guitar ever made.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Most good, experienced guitarists would say that the Tele is probably the most versatile electric guitar ever made.

Eh, somewhat. You can't get the front/mid pickup sound on a Tele that you get on the Strat.

Jimmy Page also played a Strat by the way.

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Play the deftones on it. You can’t. I’ve tried. They do a lot but not everything. My PRS Custom 24 covers everything except a tele sound. The tele is a league of its own when it comes to blue grass country that I’ll admit my PRS can’t get that twang. 

39 minutes ago, G650 said:

You can, but that's not a counterpoint.

Pedant much?  I'm just pointing out something the Strat can't do, much as you pointed out what the Tele can't do.

Personally, I find the Strat excels at that bluesy-lead guitar thing, where most of the work is picking as opposed to strumming.  I have always felt full chords, particularly open chords, on a Strat have an odd ringing harmonic that I call the 'piano tone", and I don't like it.

Hasn't stopped me from owning a half dozen Strats, though, even though I'm a shitty lead player.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Pedant much?  I'm just pointing out something the Strat can't do, much as you pointed out what the Tele can't do.

Personally, I find the Strat excels at that bluesy-lead guitar thing, where most of the work is picking as opposed to strumming.  I have always felt full chords, particularly open chords, on a Strat have an odd ringing harmonic that I call the 'piano tone", and I don't like it.

Hasn't stopped me from owning a half dozen Strats, though, even though I'm a shitty lead player.

You misunderstand me. Yeah, you "can" make a Tele have a "better" crunch on neck, but you also "can" make a Strat have a "better" crunch. Better is a nonsensical word, it can only be more appropriate for what you are doing or less appropriate.

I'm definitely not telling you what to like or anything. Whatever tickles your ear is it man. I'm certainly not gonna downplay a Tele, a Tele through a '59 Bassman is instant orgasm.

17 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Play the deftones on it.

The important thing is what does your music sound like on it? The Deftones, or any other dudes sound is from that guys fingers. Gear is a distant second on tone. I play through an almost copy of Slash's rig live but fuck if I sound like Slash.

Anyway there's plenty of heavy Tele. Jim Root plays a Tele.

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

So many words

I have littered this thread with pictures, and I will again.  But there won't be any family portraits tonight because I try to avoid my wife's seeing them all out at once.  It leads to questions.

• Like 4

I used to have all 9 of mine hanging on one long set of hangers in my office for the whole world (wife) to have to deal with on a regular basis.

But I’m divorced now so don’t go by me.

Although come to think of it the main living room is my practice area now, while I stare out the window at the mountains.

3009ccf86a9cf7c4a30cb4c9342db07b.jpg

So on second thought, maybe do go by me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I used to have all 9 of mine hanging on one long set of hangers in my office for the whole world (wife) to have to deal with on a regular basis.

But I’m divorced now so don’t go by me.

Although come to think of it the main living room is my practice area now, while I stare out the window at the mountains.

3009ccf86a9cf7c4a30cb4c9342db07b.jpg

So on second thought, maybe do go by me.
Mine are in cases in the bedroom with the strat in the stand. It's obvious enough.

5 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Oooh. That’s a nice little collection.

He's on a hunt for a tele or an LP Jr./Special.  That little Epiphone LP Special was his first electric, and he's keeping it.  The strat is an 89.  The Jag is a 2010 Japanese import refinished.  I like the humbuckers on it. 

Edited by dcbc

7 minutes ago, dcbc said:

He's on a hunt for a tele or an LP Jr./Special.  That little Epiphone LP Special was his first electric, and he's keeping it.  The strat is an 89.  The Jag is a Japanese inport refinished.  I like the humbuckers on it. 

I was gonna ask about the Jag.

My '72 Les Paul and my early 60's Melody Maker literally sit in the corner leaned against a wall. I keep the rest of them in the cases

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Arguably the two most influential, iconic rock guitarists of all time primarily played the following guitars:

Jimi Hendrix -- Strat

Jimmy Page -- Les Paul, Tele

True, but Jimi had to play his upside-down to make it work and Jimmy slapped his guitars with a violin bow.