The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Listen don’t get the wrong idea I still love my fenders strats and teles. I just like playing a PRS more. But I think everyone should own 15 guitars like me just to make sure you like what you like ;)

3 PRS’s

2 Teles 

1 strat

3 LP’s 

1 epiphone hollow body 

1 rickenbacker 

4 acoustics 

4 hours ago, DougO said:

I don't get the PRS hate. They are great guitars. They just weren't around when all of our favorite legends were playing, or a lot of them would have put some PRS in their arsenal.

Does anyone actually hate PRS guitars? I'm not sure I've ever heard that

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't "hate" them, but they are ass-ugly.

I'm going to manufacture and sell adapters for PRS heastocks to make them look like either Fender or Gibson.  I may (or may not) reference your username and/or avatar in marketing it. 

No.  The bodies are fucking ugly.  The shape sucks.  I don't care if you put book-matched flame maple glorious transparent stained gloss finish on it, it's still an ugly shape.

Sorry, it's just an opinion.  Doesn't bother me a bit if you disagree.  Dave Grissom disagrees, and he can play better with his hemorrhoids than I can with my hands.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/8/2022 at 1:32 PM, Celery Man said:

I pity anyone without this set 

A4347FC0-3C93-4E84-8AF7-6443687F4EA4.thumb.jpeg.ca128643f1ad1676675096ae0a46da57.jpeg

On 7/8/2022 at 1:53 PM, tbone_ said:

Your colors are a little off but I feel you

bcf0e7c33fac8f928d2dd055760aed95.jpg

On 7/8/2022 at 4:09 PM, Bogeywon said:

Listen I have fenders some are cool but Gibson and PRS are just more versatile  

On 7/8/2022 at 4:13 PM, Deej said:

No Way GIF by HBO Max

On 7/9/2022 at 8:52 AM, Deej said:

Good luck with that crappy single coil sound on your coil split humbuckers.

Tele will handle metal. 

On 7/9/2022 at 9:33 AM, G650 said:

I actually just scrolled up to see the original comment that Les Pauls are more versatile than Fenders. Man, that's a take I guess.

On 7/9/2022 at 10:11 AM, Chad Fuck said:

This whole conversation seems like I’m taking crazy pills, coming from a bunch of guys who would gladly take all three. I mean the Tele, Strat and LP are the damned Holy Trinity of rock guitar.

On 7/9/2022 at 11:18 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Arguably the two most influential, iconic rock guitarists of all time primarily played the following guitars:

Jimi Hendrix -- Strat

Jimmy Page -- Les Paul, Tele

On 7/9/2022 at 1:53 PM, dcbc said:

Are you guys trying to argue that we should settle on one guitar?  Because I'd rather have a bunch.

guys, guys, guys...all this arguing.  simple solution.

IMG_1349.thumb.jpg.52467755196a4875d25e49effff00cb5.jpg

On 7/9/2022 at 5:13 PM, dcbc said:

My older son got his wall hangers up.

8540aa489ef8c5eaa95cf91d9a7a15b8.jpg

hmm, well i guess you guys made it through covid.  that's good i guess.  i'll cancel my plans to stop off in tyler and pick up my amps.

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

NGD! I'm all giddy and shit. 985df22b184ecd18365c7e9d7968822d.jpg

is this the steel?  pix required.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Ugly???! Like seriously? Ok the head stock I get it but the colors and tops they put out are like art

I wouldn't say PRS are ugly . . . but it's an aesthetic that does not appeal to me at all.  The flame tops and fancy inlays are all too much of a maximalist aesthetic for my taste.  I imagine the target market as the type of boomers that buy big houses in the burbs that are designed to look like French castles or Italian villas.  Not ugly per se, but not something I (or most people under 50) want to own.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

PSA:  If anyone is in the market for a strat, this is being auctioned off in Austin soon.  Guessing not many guitar players look for gear at antique auctions . . . so could go for good value.  https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/131885962_fender-stratocaster-rare-color-fender-custom-shop

This is another thing that has dawned on me lately. The stuff I bought new in the 90's is becoming vintage. My '95 Strat that I bought new is older now than my 72' Les Paul was when I bought it in '94.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ollie Slatt said:

I wouldn't say PRS are ugly . . . but it's an aesthetic that does not appeal to me at all.  The flame tops and fancy inlays are all too much of a maximalist aesthetic for my taste.  I imagine the target market as the type of boomers that buy big houses in the burbs that are designed to look like French castles or Italian villas.  Not ugly per se, but not something I (or most people under 50) want to own.  

I’m a man I’m 40 and they are the best ;)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ollie Slatt said:

PSA:  If anyone is in the market for a strat, this is being auctioned off in Austin soon.  Guessing not many guitar players look for gear at antique auctions . . . so could go for good value.  https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/131885962_fender-stratocaster-rare-color-fender-custom-shop

Plus a 23% "buyer's premium."

finally weighing in on the prs debate...i don't have an extreme reaction in either direction to them.  my dad loves them and i bought him one for xmas a while back.  i actually find his pretty easy to play relative to some other popular models.

when i look at this...

1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-86fee5774e93c83

i certainly don't think that it's ugly.  i also don't have an extreme attraction but i weirdly like it.  it's kind of like the first time that the psychopathic nazi chick in this last season of peaky blinders showed up and had started trying to size up lizzie and then later telling ada that she wants to fuck her.  she's not monica bellucci, alejandre guilmant, or some other universally beautiful woman, but she's just sociopathic enough and just hot enough to get me tingly in an inexplicable way. 

456dc6275dd5613b6ea58bedec857df3bb9a06ce

13 minutes ago, sidis said:

finally weighing in on the prs debate...i don't have an extreme reaction in either direction to them.  my dad loves them and i bought him one for xmas a while back.  i actually find his pretty easy to play relative to some other popular models.

when i look at this...

1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-86fee5774e93c83

i certainly don't think that it's ugly.  i also don't have an extreme attraction but i weirdly like it.  it's kind of like the first time that the psychopathic nazi chick in this last season of peaky blinders showed up and had started trying to size up lizzie and then later telling ada that she wants to fuck her.  she's not monica bellucci, alejandre guilmant, or some other universally beautiful woman, but she's just sociopathic enough and just hot enough to get me tingly in an inexplicable way. 

456dc6275dd5613b6ea58bedec857df3bb9a06ce

c2976df9-0fc9-4fc6-839d-7bf02e7707e9_tex

• Haha 2

Let's see if I can put this bitch together.
3rd pic had me scared that I was going to have to put strings on it as well. Thankfully that is not the case.

Kind of disappointed that one of the legs appears to be a replacement but I'll deal with that later. He left the cheat stickers on.... And I plan to add more. 10ff3524337cded58d70b2f98073f00f.jpgd0170f21bdc571f3e361516f59aec316.jpg1c9d44836acb3790b6c606fba0ad89d6.jpg5cf2ad24eb12780f6ac4b14eb1f80bd4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Let's see if I can put this bitch together.
3rd pic had me scared that I was going to have to put strings on it as well. Thankfully that is not the case.

Kind of disappointed that one of the legs appears to be a replacement but I'll deal with that later. He left the cheat stickers on.... And I plan to add more. 10ff3524337cded58d70b2f98073f00f.jpgd0170f21bdc571f3e361516f59aec316.jpg1c9d44836acb3790b6c606fba0ad89d6.jpg5cf2ad24eb12780f6ac4b14eb1f80bd4.jpg

You got three wrong legs Lt. Dan...

I remember my first exposure to PRS guitars when they showed up at the local music store, probably early or mid 90s. I thought they were beautiful, the shape as well as the fancy wood and staining. But fuck the price.  I used to say PRS stood for Priced Ridiculously Steep. But damn, I sure wanted one. I was bitter because I figured I could never have one.

Now I wish I had bought a real USA model when they were cheap. I have two import SE models and had two others that I sold, but kinda wish I still had.

They seem to be the most ergonomically playable as well. 

I like all the guitars, but can't play any of them for shit.

Edited by DougO

15 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I don't know what steel guitar roadies are paid, but in my car experience of tuning this thing, it ain't enough. I'm glad he sent an extra set of strings because I already broke one,. LOWERING it.

not sure why you are posting about this in this thread.  is it a prs brand steel guitar or something?

j/k.  hang in there.  you'll get it.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, sidis said:

not sure why you are posting about this in this thread.  is it a prs brand steel guitar or something?

j/k.  hang in there.  you'll get it.

Good lord.  Someone needs to MS paint what that would look like.

• Like 1

Why can't we all just get along...,.

Playing guitar, I use my middle and ring finger a lot and most pedal players use a thumb and first two fingers. My ring finger keeps getting in the way. And getting used to those finger picks is going to take some time. But after repurposing an electric guitar string, I'm off and running.

You not only tune the strings but then you have to essentially tune the pedals and knee levers. I'm taking copious notes of this process. As far as an amp, I've already decided the Blues Jr is more than a good enough amp for me while I learn.

Next purchase. Peterson strobe pedal and probably a dedicated seat to keep all of the shit in and is the correct height.

Oh interesting, I hadn’t seen the Peterson strobe pedals in a minute. I had the OG blue strobostomp for years and loved it. It finally died after much abuse and I replaced it with the turbo tuner - also good but hard to read in direct sunlight. I’d be interested in trying the new petersons, but also I did like the kinda OG strobe style display that I was used to from band.

I don’t know if we’ve had this discussion, but I’m a big believer in highly accurate tuners like Peterson and Turbo. Would definitely want that for pedal tuning.

21 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Oh interesting, I hadn’t seen the Peterson strobe pedals in a minute. I had the OG blue strobostomp for years and loved it. It finally died after much abuse and I replaced it with the turbo tuner - also good but hard to read in direct sunlight. I’d be interested in trying the new petersons, but also I did like the kinda OG strobe style display that I was used to from band.

I don’t know if we’ve had this discussion, but I’m a big believer in highly accurate tuners like Peterson and Turbo. Would definitely want that for pedal tuning.

They are a must for doing intonation