The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I'm holding out for the  Koff drops. Cold and flu season is coming.

That's actually brilliant. I need to look into that idea.
Yep.  When Stevie played, it was 100% emotion 100% of the time.  Jimmie is just a mere mortal.
Its like the music just flowed through Stevie. He was just the vessel. Incredible.
  • Like 1

Also the name The Koffs is great.

CSB - met this old timer at the bar who was helping me with a sound check sat night. Had to be pushing 70. Said he was getting his band back together from back in the day and they were gonna call themselves Age Against the Machine. I thought that was pretty good. /csb

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Koff shot = Coffee + Smirnoff.

Throw in a game-used Fred Biletnikoff (which also covers the Bay area reference) sock with stickem on it and ignite with a lighter and you have a Molitoff Kofftail.

Dang, I shoulda been a bartender.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Also CSB - same bar sat night - dude says this is my wife (whatever her name was). We met in February and got married 40 days later. The first thing I said to her when we met was can I lick your asshole. /csb

As pick up lines go, can’t imagine that has a high success rate, but when it does...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, tigol said:

@troph You should read this thread.  😎

I just started G-C-D yesterday! Blisters to go with it but hot damn I can strum the down beats to You Got to Me by James McMurty pretty reliably now and like Stevie Ray it’s all emotion (…because the skill isn’t even close to there).  It’s awesome though. I waited way too long.  Townes To Live is to Fly is in the works too and I can hit the chord changes already (G-D-A). I plan to have those two down reasonably well in 3 months and practice good strumming techniques. Then I can die.   But in case I don’t, Lost in my Mind is a stretch goal (strumming) with G-A-D, and Wayside by THE Ms. Gillian Welch (capo required) and Wagon Wheel by Hootie himself (also capo required). Tell the Devil I’m gettin there as Fast as I Can by Ray Wylie is an early entry too. I’ve got a playlist of songs to work from after those or in lieu of.  My people are going to say hey about your fishing, I was wrong you can go anytime you’d like. Either way I win. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, hullabelew said:

90E71ACE-3780-465E-ABA9-0A9D70538147.thumb.jpeg.c0249ed49260ac0537ebdf4c4f184c7a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DougO said:

Not to kill all the fun and good will going on and revert back to bickering over guitar brands and styles, but I just stumbled upon this video, which is correct.

Balanced while sitting and playing a headstock that STAYS in tune. Come on and that black ones flame top 🍆🍆

22 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Any experience with Adorama purchases? They have a great deal on an open box Gretsch. It is calling me.

"Used Gretsch Electromatic G5420T Electric Guitar - Aspen Green SKU#1419725 2506011553" https://www.adorama.com/us1419725.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQjw852XBhC6ARIsAJsFPN2Rz-XP03g8HfFYc2UNY3xmBjprOnUckG650Fk2kRWuz4wIpRtN3BQaAighEALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQjw852XBhC6ARIsAJsFPN2Rz-XP03g8HfFYc2UNY3xmBjprOnUckG650Fk2kRWuz4wIpRtN3BQaAighEALw_wcB&utm_source=adl-gbase-p

I've been buying photo stuff and guitars from Adorama for longer than I can remember. Tons of expensive items, lots of cheap items. I have never had a bad experience. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Its an exciting Monday, The Koffs play our 1st show together Monday. I think this is the best music project I've ever been a part of and people are going to be blown away. 13 original songs, each under 2 minutes and most are bangers. Im stoked.

I bought this versatile little pedal to make my bass sound fatter. Im only using the compressor and a little octave, but its got a pre-amp and fuzz if i ever need to DI into a PA. Not a bad device for under $100 bucks.

And we got merch! 20220801_102013.thumb.jpg.1a1c7fbc731e2d217f80bc387b51dc58.jpgResized_Resized_20220727_131413.thumb.jpg.550bd69c65649193fe5eef0a8168f344.jpg

Looking good brother! Can’t wait to hear more.
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, troph said:

I just started G-C-D yesterday! Blisters to go with it but hot damn I can strum the down beats to You Got to Me by James McMurty pretty reliably now and like Stevie Ray it’s all emotion (…because the skill isn’t even close to there).  It’s awesome though. I waited way too long.  Townes To Live is to Fly is in the works too and I can hit the chord changes already (G-D-A). I plan to have those two down reasonably well in 3 months and practice good strumming techniques. Then I can die.   But in case I don’t, Lost in my Mind is a stretch goal (strumming) with G-A-D, and Wayside by THE Ms. Gillian Welch (capo required) and Wagon Wheel by Hootie himself (also capo required). Tell the Devil I’m gettin there as Fast as I Can by Ray Wylie is an early entry too. I’ve got a playlist of songs to work from after those or in lieu of.  My people are going to say hey about your fishing, I was wrong you can go anytime you’d like. Either way I win. 

I sing “to live is to fly” to my little buggins every night - love that song. I’ll find a video or something but at least in the old quarter version he plays the verses by moving a d chord shape up the neck for the first two chords. Of course you can get it with cowboy chords but it’s a fun exercise to hit those as well

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I sing “to live is to fly” to my little buggins every night - love that song. I’ll find a video or something but at least in the old quarter version he plays the verses by moving a d chord shape up the neck for the first two chords. Of course you can get it with cowboy chords but it’s a fun exercise to hit those as well

It’s a great song, might be my favorite of all time.  Had we had a daughter I was angling for Katie Bell so I could sing that to her but alas I had 3 boys.

The chords I found suggest I’m supposed to do something other than G and D but I wasn’t sure how to read it. I’m just trying to manage the down strums right now. I’m a long way from mastering it. 

10 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Ok yeah not to confuse you, but because this is actually kinda an easy approach to playing that song (you don’t have to change the shape you are making for the first two chords, you just slide it down the neck), you might experiment with it as you start to get more familiar and comfortable

That is so nice of you @Celery Man.  And DAMN, that guitar is showing some wear and looks fantastic.  I bet at that has gotten older, the sound has really opened up. 

Edited by hullabelew

4 hours ago, hullabelew said:

That is so nice of you @Celery Man.  And DAMN, that guitar is showing some wear and looks fantastic.  I bet at that has gotten older, the sound has really opened up. 

Love that guitar. I think I need to get the neck adjusted a bit, the action is a little high. But yeah - showing its wear. The various types of mahogany and rosewood/rosewood adjacent woods they use on the OOO15Ms has fluctuated by availability in recent years, and I think mine has maduro/pau ferro fingerboard and bridge. That's a lighter wood but it darkens up to a more rosewood color with wear and you can really see that there.  And of course there's the satin finish :) 

ooo15m2022.jpg

E6r5MH8VUA8trc7.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Love that guitar. I think I need to get the neck adjusted a bit, the action is a little high. But yeah - showing its wear. The various types of mahogany and rosewood/rosewood adjacent woods they use on the OOO15Ms has fluctuated by availability in recent years, and I think mine has maduro/pau ferro fingerboard and bridge. That's a lighter wood but it darkens up to a more rosewood color with wear and you can really see that there.  And of course there's the satin finish :) 

ooo15m2022.jpg

E6r5MH8VUA8trc7.jpg

1932 0-1736F758F1-2E9B-4C31-A8CF-353474A5584C.thumb.jpeg.ecd0706c2016413463a8aeec79ea5981.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

So in one of the pictures in the recording thread of a studio session, I'm playing a Charvel Jackson, which is one of the few that has that Jackson headstock and lettering that says Charvel, instead of the typical Charvel headstock and logo.

The guitar is currently with my friend up in NY, who is the other guitarist in those pictures. I bought it from him originally, then he traded me an original signed copy of Appetite for Destruction on vinyl to get it back about 10 years ago.

Edited by G650
Fucking spelling and grammar