Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

7 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

What I don't get is how Kate get's compared to a blunt.. maybe a joint.. blunts are fat (or did I miss something as a 39 yr old?)

Ā 

Kate is much more than eye candy, she is and always will be our bell cow for recruiting purposes... well her and cat facts.

You must be thinking of a fat blunt.Ā 

Just now, TexasFan21 said:

Sure Aggy will love this.Ā 

If controversy is what drives clicks and sharing (tends to be true) every one of these services should make a point of proudly announcing even the slightest positive adjustment to every Texas recruit.

aggy's collective tiny little brains may explode by the end of this cycle.Ā 

Rivals in-state rankings

1) Zach Evans
2) Demond Demas
3) Jase McClellan
4) RJ Mickens
5) Chris Thompson Jr
6) EJ Smith
7) Courtland Ford
8')Bryson Washington
9) Branard Wright
10) Troy Omeire
11) Vernon Broughton
12) Chad Lindberg
13) Drew Sanders
14) Jaylon Jones
15) Lorando Johnson
16) Hudson Card
17) Ja'Quinden Jackson
18) Collin Sullivan
19) Darius Snow
20) Dwight McGlothern
21) Logan Parr
22) Akinola Ogunbiyi
23) Malik Hornsby
24) Jake Majors
25) Davon Graham
26) Nick Patterson
27) James Sylvester
28) Xavion Alford
29) Seth McGowan
30) Smart Chibuzo
31) Jaxon Smith-Njigba
32) Avery Helm

No Alfred Collins or Garth

Edited by Fud

Updated Rivals250 prospects of interest. Previous rankings here:Ā https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/100-texas-recruiting-notes-2020/&page=118&tab=comments#comment-1027546

Ā 

Ā 

1. DJ Uiagalelei

2. Zach Evans

3. Justin Flowe

4. Elias Ricks (LSU commit)

8. Sav'ell Smalls

9. Kelee Ringo

14. Kendall Milton

26. Johnny Wilson

29. Demond Demas (A&M commit)

33. Jase McClellan (OU commit)

42. RJ Mickens

48. Chris Thompson Jr.

51. Tosh Baker

53. Bryce Young (USC commit)

54. Clark Phillips III

55. Bijan Robinson

62. EJ Smith

63. Lathan Ransom

64. Courtland Ford (LSU commit)

67. Mookie Cooper (Texas commit)

69. Bryson Washington

70. Branard Wright

75. Troy Omeire

86. Vernon Broughton

96. Chad Lindberg

97. Drew Sanders (OU commit)

98. Jaylon Jones (A&M commit)

105. Javian Hester

116. Lorando Johnson

119. Hudson Card (Texas commit)

124. Darion Green-Warren (OU commit)

129. Darius Snow

136. Dwight McGlothern

144. Logan Parr (Texas commit)

186. Akinola Ogunbiyi (A&M commit)

195. Malik Hornsby

197. Jake Majors (Texas commit)

204. DJ Graham (OU commit)

213. Joshua Braun

220. James Sylvester

222. Xavion Alford

224. Seth McGowan

230. Smart Chibuzo (A&M commit)

235. Jaxon Smith-Jigba (Ohio State commit)

236. Avery Helm

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Rivals in-state rankings

1) Zach Evans
2) Demond Demas
3) Jase McClellan
4) RJ Mickens
5) Chris Thompson Jr
6) EJ Smith
7) Courtland Ford
8')Bryson Washington
9) Branard Wright
10) Troy Omeire
11) Vernon Broughton
12) Chad Lindberg
13) Drew Sanders
14) Jaylon Jones
15) Lorando Johnson
16) Hudson Card
17) Ja'Quinden Jackson
18) Collin Sullivan
19) Darius Snow
20) Dwight McGlothern
21) Logan Parr
22) Akinola Ogunbiyi
23) Malik Hornsby
24) Jake Majors
25) Davon Graham
26) Nick Patterson
27) James Sylvester
28) Xavion Alford
29) Seth McGowan
30) Smart Chibuzo
31) Jaxon Smith-Njigba
32) Avery Helm

No Alfred Collins or Garth

Ā 

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Lol rivals wyd???

Ā 

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

RJ Mickens that good??

Ā 

Also.. Sylvester>Collins??!!

Ā 

1 minute ago, maninblack said:

Rivals mailing it in

Ā 

Other big movers:

Ā 

Ransom is up 60 and is now in the top 100

Mookie up 25

Lindberg up 126 and is now in the top 100 (cue BOMC)

Jaylon Jones up 91

OU cornerback commit Darion Green-Warren down 48 and fell out of the top 100

McGlothern fell 66 to 136

Smart Chibuzo entered the rankings for the first time

Prince Dorbah fell out of the rankings (previously 172)

Edited by Machinator

11 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

If he is what gets us Evans and can be on the two deep on the line Iā€™ll take it stillĀ 

As a rule I am opposed to package deals. But our roster is shaping up such that a game-changer RB in 2020, even a FR, could potentially be the piece of the puzzle that gets us a national championship. It is not a high chance, but one worth taking this time around, if needed. Having said that, as the picture becomes clearer about how good our other linemen are and how good Texas (v other) commits/prospectsĀ are in general, I doubt that Evans' recruitment is going to come down to taking George.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Was the staff's decision to turn away Akinola Ogunbiyi for the benefit of a spot that's ultimately meant for Damien George? Both seem to have their issues as prospects, but the staff must either A) really like the latter over the former or B) believe in the power of the package deal.

Assuming it was Aki and not Churizo and assuming the staff is only willing to take 5 OL (if we take George, Iā€™d like to see us take 6 if that 6th were someone like Baker but the staff may worry about unsettling the other guys), then Iā€™d have to believe itā€™s more A than B, although neither fully explains it.

I canā€™t imagine Hand is super high on George. George has poor feet and flexibility and bends at the waist as a result. So far, all Iā€™ve seen from him is being big and leaning on guys, which wonā€™t work at the next level. We also donā€™t need another interior guy like Aki with Parr, Majors, Lindberg, and George all possibly ending up as interior guys. If we take a 6th, Iā€™d prefer it to be a pure tackle take.Ā 

So thereā€™s probably multiple reasons why Aki wasnā€™t a take. I doubt it was only because of George.

Edited by Burt Macklin

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Was the staff's decision to turn away Akinola Ogunbiyi for the benefit of a spot that's ultimately meant for Damien George? Both seem to have their issues as prospects, but the staff must either A) really like the latter over the former or B) believe in the power of the package deal.

Evans is a factor in George being a take for usĀ 

I think Parr and Majors took Akinola's potential spotĀ 

At the end of the day, if the other four guys hit, it's not a big deal if George doesn't, especially with four potential 5* tackles and a stud interior guy in 2021 favoring us earlyĀ 

22 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. I keep trying to find something that will make me like him more as a prospect, but it actually just illuminates more issues with him.

right now, his primary value is being tight with Evans and Lindberg.Ā 

At least we likely wouldn't be counting on him to be a tackle. He'd spend two years changing his body and getting more flexible, and maybe he'd can potentially be a monster guard. His profile frequently bust, but there's a chance he'll pan out.Ā 

• Like 1

George as a 5th OL take and 3rd interior OL take isnā€™t bad, unless the head coach has been saying for years that he will only take guys good enough to help win championships.Ā 

But if thatā€™s really the cost of doing business with Evans, that juice might be worth the squeeze.Ā 

As for taking 6, spots are already tight at db and who knows right now if they think theyā€™ll be able to take a full class or not. Hope that becomes clear after spring practice.Ā 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

George as a 5th OL take and 3rd interior OL take isnā€™t bad, unless the head coach has been saying for years that he will only take guys good enough to help win championships.Ā 

But if thatā€™s really the cost of doing business with Evans, that juice might be worth the squeeze.Ā 

As for taking 6, spots are already tight at db and who knows right now if they think theyā€™ll be able to take a full class or not. Hope that becomes clear after spring practice.Ā 

Six OL? I can't see that happening, unless a stud JUCO who can start right away wants inĀ 

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

They will take a full class. We are not in a numbers crunch people keep saying it but it's simply not the case. we are gonna take 24-28.Ā 

Probably around 25 so we don't eat into the 2021 class too much. As far as the rest of his post goes, taking six OL seems unlikely to me.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

George as a 5th OL take and 3rd interior OL take isnā€™t bad, unless the head coach has been saying for years that he will only take guys good enough to help win championships.

If George brings in Evans he will definitely be good enough to help win championships.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

Probably around 25 so we don't eat into the 2021 class too much. As far as the rest of his post goes, taking six OL seems unlikely to me.Ā 

Itā€™s definitely unlikely, but we only took 3 last year with 1 having a high bust rate and with George being likely not a take otherwise, Iā€™d basically count it as us taking 5.

Iā€™m really high on Tosh baker and heā€™d be the kind of guy Iā€™d want to useĀ a 6th spot on, but I doubt itā€™ll happen. You make a good point about the 2021 class being stacked and us being in a good spot for a lot of those guys. Ā Iā€™d bet the staff would save that 6th spot so they can use a spot on the 2nd Brockenmeyer.

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I have a hard time getting worked up about sophomores, really. There are very rare instances in which a guy is so obviously head and shoulders above everyone else at his spot after his sophomore year that the cycle should be shut down at his position. In the instance of Stone, youā€™re telling me here that Iā€™m not just wrong, but with a ā€œhot takeā€ reference, Iā€™m coming from a place of laughable ignorance. Then you compare my view of him to what happened to Garrett Gilbert. There were like two of us on the boards, pretty much across all of them, that thought Gilbert was overrated and had bust written all over him. So, okay, if this is another Gilbert situation, then my take is the only one here that isnā€™t ā€œhotā€. Well, me and fucking futureman, which is always the company I like to keep.Ā 

If this is just a rankings disparity thing, then donā€™t get hung up on it. Compare him to Gunnell, then. Mostly, Iā€™m thinking about a guy that the local $9.95ers loved out of DFW early on, and wanted Texas to take ahead of other guys that emerged. Itā€™s not about how highly one or another is ranked, since I havenā€™t even looked at a 2021 list yet, as it will be utterly worthless to do so.Ā 

I don't trust QB recruits from Texas private schools or from small population states (especially Washington).Ā  Go ahead and post everyone who I'd be wrong about.Ā Ā 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Itā€™s definitely unlikely, but we only took 3 last year with 1 having a high bust rate and with George being likely not a take otherwise, Iā€™d basically count it as us taking 5.

Iā€™m really high on Tosh baker and heā€™d be the kind of guy Iā€™d want to useĀ a 6th spot on, but I doubt itā€™ll happen. You make a good point about the 2021 class being stacked and us being in a good spot for a lot of those guys. Ā Iā€™d bet the staff would save that 6th spot so they can use a spot on the 2nd Brockenmeyer.

I would like to see us take the 2 Braun's.