Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Ohio State fans discovering morals and religion in a hurry

Spoiler

EA0UFEoWwAcJXbn?format=jpg&name=360x360EA0UFRoWwAArZKP?format=jpg&name=smallEA0UGa5WkAAGZwN?format=jpg&name=smallEA0UHOnXoAAd2HC?format=jpg&name=small

it's all based on this quote:

“Of course the city of Austin is amazing,” Bijan said. He also sees opportunity on the depth chart to be instant impact. “They have this coach, he’s like a preacher coach, he teaches you about a lot of different things about God, about how to use yourself in the world with other people. That was pretty awesome. How the players are around each other, it was cool to see how they gel with each other. That’s huge for me to see what kind of players are at that program.”

which I didn't even read as about Herman since it is basically the first time I've ever seen someone say that. Thought it was about some other coach or assistant on the staff. 

WAS he talking about Tom?

Just now, NoName said:

which I didn't even read as about Herman since it is basically the first time I've ever seen someone say that. Thought it was about some other coach or assistant on the staff. 

It's about Kevin Washington: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kevin-washington-b6458631

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

J Washington supposedly. But wouldn't surprise me if beck. 

Edited by Butch Had Not
Edit kevin Washington...my bad

47 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

ctj is not some transcendental player to get panties in a wad over if he goes somewhere else.  this year's db recruiting is an anomaly in that it is struggling as compared to previous years but that may be some of the issue, the depth chart.  i'm sure that was a major reason for washington.  would love to have ctj but if he goes el$ewhere, then good luck to him.

Kimber, Rogers, Lindberg, CTjr, etc. aren't guys that are  worth really panicking over if they go elsewhere. However, if they all go elsewhere, it's reasonable to be concerned. 

On 7/15/2019 at 11:46 AM, Bodacious Bevo said:

I agree that Washington and Naivar seem to be struggling a bit the last two cycles. Can't really deny the fact they have both missed on a lot most their top targets the last two years, especially Naivar. Williams, Richardson, Catalon, Washington, maybe Ransom, maybe Alford. Kimber, kind of Ringo, maybe Rogers, Jones. Maybe they really got a big boost from the first year bump and Houston connections in 2018, but I think they're good recruiters and good coaches regardless. Washington especially. 

I also think they're in a weird spot of having to sell guys on joining a full depth chart without also being able to show NFL success yet. It's not like Bama DL where you can say "come sit for 2 years then go in the first round." 

That said, we're obviously fine at DB. They are both really good at evaluating and recruiting Plan B and C guys and there are also many more of those guys than DL or LB. 

I posted this 2 weeks ago. Since then, we officially lost Ransom and Rogers and we might lose a guy that I didn't even mention because he was considered a lock. In the 2019 and 2020 cycles Naivar is batting a combined .250 on guys we heavily pursued. (missed on Cine, Williams, Richardson, Catalon, Ransom, Washington; landed Adimora, Owens). Plus the two guys he landed were looking at Boise State and Baylor. Not exactly highly contested recruitments. Now he's stepping up to the plate for Alford, CTjr, and Thompson. 

Honestly though it doesn't matter how many guys you miss as long as you land some of them. If Naivar goes 2/3 then he's fine. I don't want to put the cart ahead of the horse here because I still think we land CTjr--it just makes way too much sense--but I also don't get why there was an entire page crucifying satya for voicing concerns. Actually I do get it. Dallas and negative recruiting aren't really issues in my mind, but the fact he's a bit concerned is fine.

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I posted this 2 weeks ago. Since then, we officially lost Ransom and Rogers and we might lose a guy that I didn't even mention because he was considered a lock. In the 2019 and 2020 cycles Naivar is batting a combined .250 on guys we heavily pursued. (missed on Cine, Williams, Richardson, Catalon, Ransom, Washington; landed Adimora, Owens). Plus the two guys he landed were looking at Boise State and Baylor. Not exactly highly contested recruitments. Now he's stepping up to the plate for Alford, CTjr, and Thompson. 

Honestly though it doesn't matter how many guys you miss as long as you land some of them. If Naivar goes 2/3 then he's fine. I don't want to put the cart ahead of the horse here because I still think we land CTjr--it just makes way too much sense--but I also don't get why there was an entire page crucifying satya for voicing concerns. Actually I do get it. Dallas and negative recruiting aren't really issues in my mind, but the fact he's a bit concerned is fine.

So how many of these recruitments were whiffs by Naivar, and how many were affected by forces out of his control?

Kimber, Rogers, Lindberg, CTjr, etc. aren't guys that are  worth really panicking over if they go elsewhere. However, if they all go elsewhere, it's reasonable to be concerned. 

It's probably time to readjust your expectations on this one.

If you describe what Satya does as "voicing concern," then you and I have a fundamental disagreement about the meaning of words.

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Combination of boy who cried wolf syndrome, writing it in too much of a doom and gloom way, and some of the new posters trying to jump in and be a part of things.

Edited by texifornia

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Not worth panicking but worth discussing during the offseason. Rogers and CTJ have defined, prominent roles in our defense that project to exactly what we should recruit. Kimber has CB1 potential and Lindberg would have elevated & reset the floor to our OL room. 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

So how many of these recruitments were whiffs by Naivar, and how many were affected by forces out of his control?

Obviously it’s hard to say exactly for each, but I’ve said it before, Naivar is a solid recruiter but not a great one by any means. He needed Washington to close the deal on Sterns and he’s had a lot of misses, even though he’s recruited good classes the last two years. For this class, I think the depth chart is working against him a good bit. I bet that will change for next year and he’ll be back to a good haul in 2021. 

We have four starting true sophomores in our secondary (and two more true sophomores we are expecting to play quite a bit this fall) and we are bitching about not completely reloading on all our targets a year ago. Oh, Surly. Also, Adimora, Watson, and Owens are higher rated than almost everyone we ‘whiffed’ on.

• Like 3

Just now, TheKid said:

Hey old guy, do you think I give a fuck what you think 

Maybe you should go back to lurking for a bit and get the lay of the land. Off the top of my head I can think of about zero times in the last 10 or so years that some new poster has jumped in dick first proclaiming they don't give a fuck what known entities on the recruiting board think and have it end well for them. Believe it or not, this is well meaning advice...assuming you're not some other dipshitted troll or sock account of Carl Winslow. 

• Like 2

Just now, Machinator said:

I have a hard time calling any of them whiffs since I'd define that as recruitments like where the staff did something negative to mess it up. But I'd say that all but Richardson are him just getting out-recruited. That's not to say he recruited those guys poorly. He could have done well, but someone else did better. Like I said I think Naivar is a good coach and recruiter--I believe he was Broughton's area recruiter--but I also think he may have been overrated after 2018. But obviously I want to wait and see how these 2020 guys shake out. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Obviously it’s hard to say exactly for each, but I’ve said it before, Naivar is a solid recruiter but not a great one by any means. He needed Washington to close the deal on Sterns and he’s had a lot of misses, even though he’s recruited good classes the last two years. For this class, I think the depth chart is working against him a good bit. I bet that will change for next year and he’ll be back to a good haul in 2021. 

They completely flipped Sterns from a DB powerhouse, unexpectedly, in like April. Close the deal?

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe you should go back to lurking for a bit and get the lay of the land. Off the top of my head I can think of about zero times in the last 10 or so years that some new poster has jumped in dick first proclaiming they don't give a fuck what known entities on the recruiting board think and have it end well for them. Believe it or not, this is well meaning advice...assuming you're not some other dipshitted troll or sock account of Carl Winslow. 

You done? 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 46

2 minutes ago, TheKid said:

Hey old guy, do you think I give a fuck what you think 

So many fucking new accounts lately. At least some of em have to be trolls.

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Lindberg would have elevated & reset the floor to our OL room. 

What does this even mean? lol. Lindberg himself, wouldn’t move the needle a whole lot as it pertains to our entire OL room. 

1 minute ago, Tired of Lurking said:

They completely flipped Sterns from a DB powerhouse, unexpectedly, in like April. Close the deal?

Sterns wasn’t expected to flip until Washington took over the recruitment. I was talking about Naivar specifically as a recruiter.

1 minute ago, TheKid said:

You done? 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

So many fucking new accounts lately. At least some of em have to be trolls.

What does this even mean? lol. Lindberg himself, wouldn’t move the needle a whole lot as it pertains to our entire OL room. 

My favorite thing about the trolls is how closely they have to follow UT recruiting, which they hate, in order to have the pertinent information to troll. It's like they've lost the battle before it's even fought.

• Like 2