Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

IT

RECRUITING

Chris Morris, Freedom Prep Academy (Memphis, TN) - 2020: Morris was in-state to see the A&M/LSU game and also to visit Texas. The four-star picked up an offer way back in April -- very early for a player in his class. It's safe to assume he's someone Herb Hand was going to recruit aggressively while at Auburn. "It was a very good visit. I got a chance to see the campus. I got a chance to interact with the players and sit in team and position meetings." A&M probably didn't have any of those on Sunday. Morris said he'll "absolutely" return for a visit and schools currently standing out to him are: "Texas A&M. Texas. Florida. Oklahoma. LSU. Georgia. South Carolina. Arkansas. Oregon. Tennessee."

Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek (League City, TX) - 2020: The A&M game versus LSU certainly caught the Lindberg's attention. Before this visit I gave the Aggies very little chance to land the priority four-star but this was the type of visit the Aggies needed. The Lindberg's were in Austin the week prior for the Iowa State game and had a good visit. They enjoyed hanging out with the Parr's, "We had a great time! We got to hang out with Logan Parr and his mom (we had met before but really hadn’t talked that much—Chad and Logan talk (or communicate at least) all the time, so it was fun getting to know them both better. The game was great and I think UT played really well and, of course, winning doesn’t hurt. The best part was seeing my freshman Longhorn, though!"

JoJo Earle, Aledo (Aledo, TX) - 2021: If Texas offering a 5-foot-9, 170 sophomore doesn't catch your attention his film will. I knew he was good when I saw the offer go out but I didn't think he'd be that good. I said to myself this kid is more Jaylen Waddle than Ryan Newsome, which is funny given what DFW wide receiver trainer Margin Hooks told me unsolicited on Sunday that Earle was similar to the Alabama star. Earle appears to be the prototype slot for the Texas offense. Good news, there's also a solid Texas tie: His father was Byron Vaughns' Little League football coach. Mutha Hustla will be on the case. It's nice seeing Texas aggressive with a kid with a limited recruiting profile but who is such an obvious baller.

(Note: Earle's teammate, 2020 running back, Jase McClellan didn't visit for the Iowa State game. He's still someone to have on the radar, however)

EJ Smith, Dallas Jesuit (Dallas, TX) - 2020: I reached out to Hooks to talk about the son of Dallas Cowboys legend Emmitt Smith. The kid's film is awesome but his only in-state offers are from TCU and SMU. It's a loaded position in the cycle but Smith is a take for anyone. Said Hooks, "EJ is a smaller Lil'Jordan. He's about 6-foot, but he can do-it-all; running back, wide receiver -- and I don't just mean running bubbles either, but real routes." Hooks doesn't get too involved in the recruiting side of things but he said he didn't get the feeling that Smith was a lock to follow in his father's footsteps, though that's of course still a possibility. Smith seems to like Ohio State quite a bit. My feeling is UT is going to get involved in this recruitment. Having Emmitt Smith involved in the program, if his son was at UT, probably wouldn't be a bad thing.

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

He's actually put a lot of work into this. Even though his classes are in reality more OOS-based than Strong's, Tom (and Shipley, Meekins, et al) has made them feel warm and fuzzy and valued.

True. I just mean he's not like Mack where he's sucking their dicks and taking a kid to make a coach happy in the long run. 

29 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

LSU just offered Alec Bryant.  Surprised we haven't offered him yet.  I get Sylvester with some off field stuff, but I've never seen Bryant mentioned as having baggage.

I'm not sure if Sylvester actually has off the field stuff. I think they might just feel good about where they stand with guys like Collins and Broughton 

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

SIAP.... 

What is projected Number of slots available in the 2020 TEXAS Recruiting Class??

Somewhere in the low 20s depending on how many we take this class. I'd guess something like 22-23