Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

He grew up there. And played for the cowboys. According to wikipedia. 

Yup. Despite being mostly a California guy (he went to Corona High and started his coaching career at UCLA), he's leveraged his Cowboys and Tech time into being a really good area recruiter for Colorado. Also he's a WR coach if we want to can Mehringer.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

Yup. Despite being mostly a California guy (he went to Corona High and started his coaching career at UCLA), he's leveraged his Cowboys and Tech time into being a really good area recruiter for Colorado. Also he's a WR coach if we want to can Mehringer.

Don’t see an issue canning Mehringer. Make it happen.

25 minutes ago, Machinator said:

They blew a 28-point lead to Oregon State at home, which may cost them bowl eligibility in a season when they started 5-0.

5 straight losses will definitely upset the Apple cart. I didn’t realize the 5 losses just after being lost in the wilderness and the bit of success on the field and recruiting trail as opposed to his successors I thought that might bye him some goodwill? That program is a long way from 1990 due to their admin not prioritizing athletics and facilities etc.. After we beat them 70-3 in 05 that is a long climb to where they are now. Another change by an admin that is not gonna go get a Matt Campbell or someone similar seems like stalling what has been a decent climb back to respectability. Granted I don’t follow CU to close so maybe I am completely wrong and  it’s warranted.

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Who would be the better take out of Ogunbiyi and Chibuzo?  I doubt they are ahead of Garth, Lindberg, Majors, and maybe George on our board.

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Two aggy commits...

FWK's aggy commits seem to be taking a lot of unofficials to Austin.  You would think they would looking to get back to the station since it's so lit.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Who would be the better take out of Ogunbiyi and Chibuzo?  I doubt they are ahead of Garth, Lindberg, Majors, and maybe George on our board.

No matter position would take Ogunbiyi, but if looking specifically for OT then Chibuzo.  Both are good prospects and takes though

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

No matter position would take Ogunbiyi, but if looking specifically for OT then Chibuzo.  Both are good prospects and takes though

Chibuzo looks like interior only to me, while Akinola looks like a swing guy who's most likely a guard. None of A&M's four commits look like tackles, imo 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Chibuzo looks like interior only to me, while Akinola looks like a swing guy who's most likely a guard. None of A&M's four commits look like tackles, imo 

Agree they definitely seem more like OG. I think Chibuzo could play tackle though if for no other reason then the power he shows with his hands.  Looks like he has been playing much more at guard this year on his HS team as well.

7 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This is literally the opposite of the general consensus of well, pretty much everyone. Right down to the "Both are good prospects" part of your post.

Chibuzo has less business playing OT than Tristan Nicholson or even Terrell Cuney. 

I know it’s wishful thinking by most but does anyone see our wr coach not coming back after the year lj is having? If he gets an oc gig great but I don’t see his contract just flat not being renewed with the way recruiting has gone at his position. You don’t want to lose the guys out of your backyard but a 5-6 man class with quite a bit of talent so far. Not trying to defend him or upset anyone but people speak as if it’s guaranteed that he’s gone, with Herman’s loyalty to his guys I do not see it unless they find a promotion for him to move on to.

25 minutes ago, Fud said:

Yep not an OT in that group. For me it's hard to even read Chibuzo's upside because he needs so much conditioning/reshaping. He just doesn't seem like a take at all and certainly not for 2020. No reason to not wait for at least another season. Akinola looks like a good interior prospect but to me I'd still like to see him get to and through a JR year with some camp work before taking his commitment.

Caveat: If Akinola play C (does he have the ability to make the calls, etc) - that would change my timeline for sure. 

7 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

I know it’s wishful thinking by most but does anyone see our wr coach not coming back after the year lj is having? If he gets an oc gig great but I don’t see his contract just flat not being renewed with the way recruiting has gone at his position. You don’t want to lose the guys out of your backyard but a 5-6 man class with quite a bit of talent so far. Not trying to defend him or upset anyone but people speak as if it’s guaranteed that he’s gone, with Herman’s loyalty to his guys I do not see it unless they find a promotion for him to move on to.

It’s been a narrative on here for roughly 2 years. Hard to kick, like a bad habit.  Definitely some cognitive dissonance issues as well. The guy doesn’t know how to do the Hook em but WR play and WR recruiting is great.  I don’t think he’s going anywhere. 

11 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Yep not an OT in that group. For me it's hard to even read Chibuzo's upside because he needs so much conditioning/reshaping. He just doesn't seem like a take at all and certainly not for 2020. No reason to not wait for at least another season. Akinola looks like a good interior prospect but to me I'd still like to see him get to and through a JR year with some camp work before taking his commitment.

Caveat: If Akinola play C (does he have the ability to make the calls, etc) - that would change my timeline for sure. 

I wouldn't be particularly happy about taking any of them right now, it would be "trust Herman, Hand, and Yancy I guess, they're smarter than me"

Bankhead could be a nice monster mauling guard, but I'd want more data on where his body and athleticism are going. I don't think he can play center, so he's pigeonholed at guard 

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

I wouldn't be particularly happy about taking any of them right now, it would be "trust Herman, Hand, and Yancy I guess, they're smarter than me"

Bankhead could be a nice monster mauling guard, but I'd want more data on where his body and athleticism are going. I don't think he can play center, so he's pigeonholed at guard 

And Jordan Jefferson looks like he can only play Center, if that.  Supposedly he's barely even 6' ft. tall.  Wouldn't be surprised if they tell him to look around.  

Parr is better than any of the 4 aggy OL commits.  Still has room to add weight and is way more athletic.  A mean mofo to boot.

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

And Jordan Jefferson looks like he can only play Center, if that.  Supposedly he's barely even 6' ft. tall.  Wouldn't be surprised if they tell him to look around.  

Parr is better than any of the 4 aggy OL commits.  Still has room to add weight and is way more athletic.  A mean mofo to boot.

Right, I'm hoping they keep Jefferson, but we'll see 

3 hours ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Meekins is LJ's coach. You can credit Meh for DD and CJ though.