Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Orlando has landed an OOS stud LB every year he's been here.  I'm hoping it is Justin Flowe this year.  Probably only taking 1, at most 2 LB's this class.

Probably 3.  LB needs depth almost as much RB.

It’ll really all depend on how guys develop. If Overshown spins down and acclimated well to the position and one of Floyd or Johnson look good too, then we’ll probably go a little lighter. If some of those guys don’t work out, then I could see is taking 3. There’s also a couple safeties in 2020 that could definitely be spin down candidates.

7 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Look up his numbers. They actually only had 1 decent year (2017), and I'm pretty sure they weren't even top 30 that year.

WSU had the #7 pass efficiency defense that year.  It was largely an optical illusion caused by clubbing 2 horrible teams (Nevada and and FBS school) like baby seals.

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I thought Broughton had very little interest in Aggy. So... what happened? 

Eh, he visited and probably had fun. It's super early, they're all open to everyone. 

Naturally their commenters are taking generic post-visit positivity and turning it into "omg aggy lock"

Edited by texifornia
  • Haha 1

I hate the fact that their optimism probably means nothing but that we can't trust Giles to close winnable recruitments

We might lose some battles for guys like Wright/Demas/Jones but it's fine because we can go get guys like Bru/Smith/Ringo(hopefully)

But we all know Giles isn't going to go pull elite out of state guys. So if he fucks up the easy ones like Collins (and to a lesser extent Leal/Broughton) then we're just done for 

• Like 2

Just now, cafe society said:

I believe it was CTJ or Golfclap who stated that VB may have someone near him that may make this recruitment more challenging than it might otherwise be.

Is his dad around him much?  The only time I've ever seen or any mention of him was when he visited with Vernon for the Elite day.

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I hate the fact that their optimism probably means nothing but that we can't trust Giles to close winnable recruitments

We might lose some battles for guys like Wright/Demas/Jones but it's fine because we can go get guys like Bru/Smith/Ringo(hopefully)

But we all know Giles isn't going to go pull elite out of state guys. So if he fucks up the easy ones like Collins (and to a lesser extent Leal/Broughton) then we're just done for 

Texas must go OOS at DT. The 2020 cycle is very DE heavy in state. 

We're not getting Roy or Guillory. Probably time to widen the net at DT. 

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Texas must go OOS at DT. The 2020 cycle is very DE heavy in state. 

We're not getting Roy or Guillory. Probably time to widen the net at DT. 

Our 4i targets generally can play nose. I don't view the position as a huge need 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Broughton could probably spin down, I assume you think Collins could spin down as well? 

Any of them can, except for maybe Dorbah. We play guys like Graham and Roach at nose at times. Coburn and Moro can play there. Sweat can play there. 

22 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I guess Beck is just going to have to get us that high rated DL from Arizona.  Btw, he's visiting this weekend.

Jason Harris, I believe he's a slight hoops risk. I'd get Shaka involved. He's a better recruiter than Giles, it couldn't hurt. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Jason-Harris-46043274/

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Eh, he visited and probably had fun. It's super early, they're all open to everyone. 

Naturally their commenters are taking generic post-visit positivity and turning it into "omg aggy lock"

It's not that early. By this time last year, Brian Williams had already committed and started the Richardson-->Leal-->Wright series of dominoes. All three of those kids' plans to commit later in the year mysteriously changed. I doubt Jaylon Jones will be the only one this year.

Also I've learned not to get my hopes up with Giles. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it.

Edited by satyanash

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

It's not that early. By this time last year, Brian Williams had already committed and started the Richardson-->Leal-->Wright series of dominoes. All three of those kids' plans to commit later in the year mysteriously changed. I doubt Jaylon Jones will be the only one this year.

Also I've learned not to get my hopes up with Giles. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it.

Thought one of the sites mentioned Herman was on Broughton's recruitment.  Beck seems to be in on Dorbah.  Which leaves Giles to tend to Umanmielen and Collins.  Let's see if he can handle a legacy kid and another not to far from campus.

19 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Damn, satya is pessimistic. I am officially worried.

• Like 1